What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Well, I got all 5 of my ships to Duna....except, my refueling ship there as a hopeful extra ship and not really needed.....didn't even have enough fuel to stay in a Duna orbit.  Underpowered engine the cause there. Both scanners (Ike and Duna), the ore refinery, and the airplane/rover are all in orbit around Duna.  Now to see if the ore refinery and rover have enough fuel to land on the surface, and the scanners have enough fuel to get into a polar orbit.

2 hours ago, Atkara said:

*Shamelessly steals the concept*

It's been known to happen.  This is my Triop C1 cargo plane.  It's a little beauty!

VOiwtHV.pngKlDqBaa.png

Heck, I've even been known to kidnap a talented designer!

Spoiler

pdaMAeN.png

This one pictured is due for a promotion to Red Tunic in my world, pretty soon.

Pretty weird to think you have a double somewhere, isn't it?  :)

Edited by Hotel26

I am happily confused today.....confused but happy....con...   whatever!

Well, my Minmus miner works as a charm, with all its wrong tanks and stuff. I did a complete miscalculation on the dV-needs for landing (no ore) and starting (45 tons of ore), but luckily in the direction so that it now is way overpowered. Also I wasn't sure if those NERV engines would be any good for starting something heavy off of Minmus...but hey, here it goes:

HAkkpaV.png

Now...can someone please explain to me the secrets of fuel/ore transfer? 
Is there a way to set more than one tank at the same time to "out"?

And, in the pic below, when I had the lowest tank on my miner empty, I thought I can have the window open with the tank on "stop" (switch the little green arrow to the red stop sign). But when I set the second tank (the middle on on the left side of the pic) to "out", the one I thought I had disabled startet filling up again with all the others anyway.
Seems to only work by not opening the windows of those tanks I really don't want to fill up...?

ZIm7ZrR.png

Also weird: On one occasion I opened the windows of only a few tanks, set only one to out and startet filling the others. As soon as they were full, the other one didn't stop emptying itself...I have no idea where to?

Well, this whole fuel/ore transfer concepts is a bit of a magic thingy to me...I will read into it.

Edited by Stunkfish

20 minutes ago, Stunkfish said:

And, in the pic below, when I had the lowest tank on my miner empty, I thought I can have the window open with the tank on "stop" (switch the little green arrow to the red stop sign). But when I set the second tank (the middle on on the left side of the pic) to "out", the one I thought I had disabled startet filling up again with all the others anyway.
Seems to only work by not opening the windows of those tanks I really don't want to fill up...?

The flow check mark only affects engines (and other sinks) drawing fuel or not.from the source.  It does not prevent "pumping" with In and Out.  Of The resources you have open, either one and only one can draw in (from all the others), or one can pump Out to all the others that are open.  You cannot simultaneously move fuel from multiple tanks to multiple other tanks.  Can require a bit of strategy in figuring out how to proceed.  Sometimes warp while you do it can be your friend (and can buy you time by stabilizing your assembly, warding off the Kraken, at the same time).

Edited by Hotel26

Today i decided i would make a stock propeller plane

RSymaXK.png

After finding that this design was good i kind of decided i wanted something heavier

Q6l4BzT.png

So i made a dual propeller plane

oITNWmE.png

Which works quite well
Specs:
Single propeller plane "Mjolnir-001":
Single stayputnik bearing engine (fairing style)
Max speed: 100m/s in level flight
                      200m/s in dive

Stall speed: 30m/s

Dual propeller plane "Mjolnir-002":
Dual stayputnik bearing engines (fairing style)
Max speed: 80m/s in level flight
                      150m/s in dive
Stall speed: 28m/s

Landing distance: 20m
Takeoff distance: ~30m

3 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

The flow check mark only affects engines (and other sinks) drawing fuel or not.from the source.  It does not prevent "pumping" with In and Out.  Of The resources you have open, either one and only one can draw in (from all the others), or one can pump Out to all the others that are open.  You cannot simultaneously move fuel from multiple tanks to multiple other tanks.  Can require a bit of strategy in figuring out how to proceed.  Sometimes warp while you do it can be your friend (and wards off the Kraken at the same time).

OK, that totally makes sense.
Thank you for this info.

Need some fuel? :D

2 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

It's been known to happen.  This is my Triop C1 cargo plane.  It's a little beauty!

VOiwtHV.pngKlDqBaa.png

Heck, I've even been known to kidnap a talented designer!

Reveal hidden contents

pdaMAeN.png

This one pictured is due for a promotion to Red Tunic in my world, pretty soon.

Pretty weird to think you have a double somewhere, isn't it?  :)

Funny, because after seeing Triop's little shuttle plane yesterday, I too quickly decided to build something similar. It's a simple but awesome design. Only question I have is, if you takeoff with no load in the cargo hold, do you have enough rear weight to keep the front landing gear on the ground?  I did not, so it had to drag the rear engines in "pop a wheelie" style takeoff until the thrust could get high enough to straighten it out for takeoff.

3 hours ago, djr5899 said:

Only question I have is, if you takeoff with no load in the cargo hold, do you have enough rear weight to keep the front landing gear on the ground?

With the airplane empty in the SPH, check the Center of Mass and its position relative to the main gear.  Make sure the main gear are behind the CoM.  Close enough and rotation will be at a low speed.  Too far back and rotate will not occur until a higher speed, yielding a longer take-off run.  Too close to the CoM, or in front of the CoM, and your Triop C1 will sit on its rear...

fLFuncT.png

Incidentally, this airplane performs quite a bit better when you crank in one angle upclick on the angle of attack of the wings.

I get 1260m/s @ 19km with a fuel draw of 0.76 kals/sec.

It's a neat plane and hat off to Triop.  It has some minor issues with yaw and landing speed, range is medium but it's the A-bomb for air-dropping rovers into hostile territory!

Edited by Hotel26

4 hours ago, MisterKerman said:

How do stock prop planes even work? Not looking for a tutorial or anything, just a reason...

They are... interesting
Basically you have a second craft on the inside of a hollow object (eg. fairings) that have (in my case) dual stayputniks clipped into them, it allows them to spin with minimum glitching, there are 8 rtgs clipped inside, with 8-10 small reaction wheels, you part clip the decoupler which its mounted on out of the craft, and then you move the craft inside, then you switch to the propeller, and you force it to trim spin with alt-q or alt-e.

Warning, they are still glitchy. And never phys warp with them running.

Finally perfected my C-1 Atlas light cargo plane. Also, I designed a lander that is specifically for airdrop missions to inaccessible locations, and ran one test....

g37stZh.png

.... Close enough...

Also, I realized today that I have 13 flights currently in progress, It's day 68, and not one of my Kerbals have reached orbit yet. So, I built a basic launch trainer, and leveled up a handful of Kerbals for the next endeavour, landing on the Mun and Minimus...

SnhapHq.png

... very soon... :D

and @Triop Don't you laugh at it! ;)  

I forgot that the passenger cabin existed, so I decided to make a two-cockpit rocket.

Here is the Twin Mustango!

6cvvODH.png

Symmetry started to get confusing, so I just saved one of the boosters as a subassembly and then put it over the other side. Mid flight, I tried to decouple the small radial boosters, but the decouplers exploded. (?)

qLAJwkU.png

Circularization burn. I haven't got solar panels yet.

2E8ubvJ.png

Nothing burnt up, surprisingly, and I landed it with parachutes.

I need to do it again, bigger...

Edited by joacobanfield

I actually got to play KSP today instead of troubleshoot life support issues (big thank you to @AngrybobH for help with that over the last few days).  Nothing too spectacular, just was nice to launch something again instead of "load KSP, load sandbox, test on the pad, quit KSP, edit something, repeat"

First launch in days, a small-ish mining lander for Ike:

J7w3Pla.png?2

I followed that with some atmospheric flights.  First off was a trip to the desert highlands north of the Dessert airfield.  I decided to dust off  @XLjedi's FA-08 Bobcat VTOL for the trip, just had to slap a seismic sensor on it.  I downloaded it a long time ago, but never really did much with it other than a short test hop.  I'm glad a dusted this one off, as it was quite fun to fly

oacyIrq.png?2

Switching to VTOL mode for landing near the first survey site.  Was a little bumpy on the landing, but that was not a reflection on the aircraft design.  Note to self - trying to get screenshots while landing a VTOL might not be the best idea in the world

6ZZCw3b.png?2

On the ground at the second or third survey site.  Once I stopped trying to get screenshots of the landings, they got a lot easier

ZZW40CK.png?2

Then something happened on the way to the last survey site.  It was only a few hundred meters from the previous site, so I figured I'd just taxi over.  Unfortunately, I got a little fast going down a hill & what was supposed to be a slight turn went badly.  On the plus side, I came to a stop within 500m of the last survey site, so contract complete.

FCPdIso.png?2

Finished off my day with a SSTO flight to bring the next Duna crew up to the waiting PCC-03 Charon crew cycler

VCX1XlZ.png?2

Not a great day to be a KSP pilot in my career game.

I'm at the point in late-beginning, almost-mid-career where survey contracts are making a big portion of my income. Started off with Verlan (Val's replacement), in a Mongoose overshooting the survey landing target in the desert, stalling, and crashing. Luckily she walked away from the accident, but no funds were collected and most of the 14k-fund aircraft were lost.

screenshot58_zpsdhlwba3i.png

screenshot59_zps5bsvolmp.png

With an upgraded SPH I finally got the KA-2 Ocelot in the air. Jeb completed a part test contract, but once again had a hard landing while trying to land in the hills for a survey. For those keeping track, I'm now 0 for 2.

screenshot60_zpsoa7zs6ju.png

screenshot61_zpsebe1twvi.png

screenshot62_zps2uaon1gq.png

This is Jeb's smug, 'At-least-I-don't-have-to-pay-for-this' post-crash face.

Next, Jeb again. New Ocelot plane, about 40,000 funds each. Flying out for a long-haul survey contract, three points in the highlands. I take my time, line up on a good approach, and manage to bring it down without any explosions!

screenshot69_zps6gvsgjvx.png

screenshot70_zpsct4nsj79.png

Jeb completed one survey site before taking off again, but the terrain was too rough. Jeb bounced, but without enough speed to stay airborne, crashed back down and crumpled the nose and a wing. Jeb did not survive the crash; it was his 7th mission. All survey contracts were put on hold pending a reassessment of the craft's abilities. His smugness will be missed.

Meanwhile, Verlan became the first Kerbal to flyby the Mun, launched in a 'Boto' one-kerbal capsule on a Hornbill-B medium lifter. Some precarious EVAs later, she came down to land relatively gently in the desert, under the stars.

screenshot63_zps15vlkob8.png

screenshot66_zpsostqoesr.png

screenshot67_zps4xsp3n5o.png

I also unlocked the multi-spectral scanner, and modified my previous scanner sat to complete a similar mission. Upon achieving orbit, the craft's control antennas were not deployed before losing power, and now the sat requires a Kerballed repair mission or a replacement.

screenshot71_zpsh3hksbys.png

At this point, money is getting tight without the survey contract revenue. With a stern "Be careful!" Verlan is cleared to attempt another survey mission in an Ocelot plane...and is finally successful, completing two surveys with the Ocelot's incredible 3 hour plus flight time (A Mongoose has about 1hr 55 min).

screenshot72_zpsfihgu1yo.png

This brings our aircraft survey record for today to 1-4, and down our most experienced pilot. With the coffers once again full, and the science collected from the Munar flyby, R&D has been upgraded and the plans for a LKO space station are in the works.

Edited by anoldtincan

Today I take flight in sandbox, using a Replica (sort of) of a Boeing 737-200

HP44szd.jpg

The plane has about 32K~ Dv at 100 M/s just above sea level, has a stall speed of about 50-55 M/s~

(notice pitch full up and plane still losing altitude)

jLJxPNU.jpg

it also has a top speed of around 150-155 M/s~ at sea level

GLcwbTS.jpg

The ideal cruising altitude for the plane is around 3K to 3.5K Meters above Sea Level.
Well, that's all I have for today. I'll get more stuff out by tomorrow.

Edited by X Sonic Pro X
Pictures needed to be fixed so they would show up

I launched my first (for this career) Duna probe. I decided to stick 4 probes on one rocket because the total payload only weighed a little over 6t.

83741062FE087D4EC45B883AD8C545EDA9C982A4

And then my Parker solar probe inspired probe (that I also had a contract for) finally reached perihelion(~850,000km).

03002CAF14C4E9D5B3D4BFEC849D5E994BD43B6D

The heat shield is burning off even from way up here. It probably won't survive the next orbit. Thankfully, the contract (Dmagic RPWS antenna and magnetometer low/high orbit) is done in 32 days.

Now that my snacks recycling & greenhouses are more or less working, I went ahead & spent nearly half my total budget  (2.5m :funds: out of 6.5m :funds:total) and launched my massive fusion powered DSEV.   The first one is only operating with a crew of 6, heading for Jool to relieve Jeb & company.  Now that everything is working, the snack supply for this small crew should last well over 9 years - not counting what can be grown in the greenhouse, which should extend it much further.

Made it to space, expended launcher drifting past:

w6k6Hqd.png?2

Getting ready for Jool transfer:

cIYB8lr.png?2

There she goes!   I'm not sure what happened between the test version in sandbox that could do about a 4k m/s burn with only 4 large thermal control systems plus the fixed radiators, because I upgraded this one to 6 large thermal control systems, and it maxed them out quickly into the 2k burn.  I may have to make some improvements in DSEV-02, whenever I can afford it.

gCrb0UF.png?2

Leaving Kerbin behind:

qVICiMi.png?2

After DSEV-01 Arcterra departed Kerbin's SoI, I launched the last few kerbals in my roster to Mun to investigate the last 3 magnetic anomalies.  To save fuel, I also brought along an interesting little hopper that I downloaded off KerbalX (Ion Bike by @BananaVenom ) a long time ago & never actually used.  I gotta say, this thing was a blast so far.  I still have one more anomaly to go

NmDKtLM.png?2

20 km over Mun, about halfway to the second anomaly.

nDe9PUu.png?2

Approach to landing.  Sadly, I had a bit of a sideways vector & lost two solar panels on the actual landing.  I think it will still make it

mKefaSU.png?2

Finally got my Airdrop LanderTM (Patent Pending) on solid ground in the mountains to visit the mountain monolith just beyond KSC!! Jeb dropped the lander, then turned to observe the landing process. It stuck right to the ground when it landed! So the flight crew returned home, overshot the runway, got the go-around and retry, came in too hot, bounced a few times off the runway, finally stuck to the ground, then proceeded to skid off the end of the runway and take the Atlas for some unscheduled off-road testing.... All bodies- erm, all Kerbals accounted for and ready for the next mission... :blush: Anyway... Erdon Kerman was the scout I sent to investigate the monolith. Upon returning to the lander, physics struck!

dHBnWMn.png

Darn thing bounced upon loading and nearly killed poor Erdon... And Jeb still can't hit the broad side of a barn....

OA3PrTA.png

... Erdon here had to hike along the side of a steep mountain face for over 7km! 

Ctv5aT8.png

SO. FAR. AWAY!!! It took a good hour of running to finally reach the blasted thing, but... success!!!

nVjRaBY.png

Now, I'm ready to send my first manned (Kerbaled?) mission to the Mun. There are several anomalies there that need exploring, as well as others on Kerbin.