What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

5 hours ago, cubinator said:

I just built an OR gate. Pics coming soon.

I thought I recalled someone having built some basic logics (AND, OR, NOT) with solid parts in LKO?

57 minutes ago, RocketScientist said:

The vehicle, known as the A-1, reached an altitude of 110 KM before falling back to Kerbin and burning up in the atmosphere.

Nice!  Is that just the historical parts added to a stock game?  Burning Lf/O?

These survey contracts are getting rediculous, I'm walking now.... :rolleyes:

YTwZ1ik.png

I guess I'm going to need a parachute to get there, no buggy will take me there, so I'm experimenting with parasails thingy . . .

V5zhpDz.png

P76BSgv.png

TBC :ph34r:

Edited by Triop

1 hour ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I built an elevator for a launch pad, along with a crew access arm. Five Kerbals began in the elevator, two died and one sustained heavy injury.

Step 2: Invent OSHA. <_<

On 8/15/2018 at 2:23 PM, Triop said:

I love my little shuttle . . .

PHNZEZT.png

Is there a craft file for this little shuttle? Asking for a friend... -_-

3 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Is there a craft file for this little shuttle? Asking for a friend...

There is now . . . ^_^

VpslaqD.png

KERBAL X

https://kerbalx.com/Triop/Small-Rover-Shuttle

*you don't need a ladder, you can go in and out through the cargobay

Thanks for the interest.

...But you're not gonna get this one yet :

56iN0dA.png

W.I.P. :cool:

Edited by Triop

2 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I built an elevator for a launch pad, along with a crew access arm. Five Kerbals began in the elevator, two died and one sustained heavy injury.

That sounds about right for kerbal engineering. 

A few really bad rockets I built and launched while drunk one night arrived back at Kerbin after 6 year trips to Jool and back. They required cheating to survive reentry. Here are the highlights.

fenghMn.png

I used two of these stupid things. They didn't carry enough oxidizer to maneuver and tumble like crazy during reentry. They are for recovering manned shipwrecks for contracts. The one pictured has two newish kerbals ready for the chopping block.

as7TOdS.png

I really don't know what I was thinking with this one.

qkgNWQM.png

But at least it looked really cool during reentry.

YdKYD83.png

And I at least got the landing system right. Anyway it carried 9 kerbals back from some of my oldest bases and stations in the Jool system. Some had been out there or nearly 40 years.

The worst of the monstrosities I launched that night is still 81 days from reentry.

DR41FVr.png

This is carrying 4 rescues and two shipwrecks. The airbreaks and heat shield make think it might have been okay on reentry without cheating...if it carried enough fuel to slow down in Kerbin orbit. But the rescues were all in Tylo orbit, and while intoxicated I MASSIVELY underestimated the amount of Delta-V needed to maneuver in Tylo orbit. It has just over 1000 Delta-V, just enough to put it into an aerobraking trajectory and slow down by about a third.

A Hawk with a Klaw attachment has just plucked a Ladybug explorer from the MX1 munar space station...

ImvmpeL.png  Zq6617M.png

for delivery to the M98E mun base and has just been refueled at Mun Tower 1 for departure and return to MX1.

Another Hawk had just delivered Dragon 1, my first Anisoptera ion flitter (in this career) to the Mun surface (too dark at M98E currently to picture).

I have 5 bases on the Munar equator and plan to set up 3 each on the 45 degree north & south latitudes with polar bases as well and scheduling regular Anisoptera and/or Salamander flights to connect them.

Edited by Hotel26

The time.... It has come... BEHOLD!!! Explorer 1, "Twilight", sitting on top of the most powerful rocket ever developed by The Docs engineers, the Explorer Launch System!

879ZJXl.png

Pretty impressive right? :cool: .... No? Ok... :blush:

Anyway, the lander has space for a rover and geographic survey probe to be packed away inside the service bay, and enough life support to last the three Kerbal crew for a month. After a flawless launch and initial orbital insertion burn, Bill was doing a post launch assessment to ensure the proper amount of snack rations were on board when he discovered there were no tools on the ship. They would be unable to put the rover or the probe together... <_< So the first launch of the ELS was a simple test to ensure every system performed as expected. At least the view was nice.

QU7aesU.png

After some choice words between the ground crews and Bill, the vessel was stocked with all the necessary tools for rover and probe construction, and another flawless launch was completed. This time, all systems were go for the transfer to the Mun! The boys are now safely in orbit around the Mun, and are calculating their next burn to ensure a proper landing site :cool:

ffxqVps.png

54 minutes ago, woeller said:

Kind of spooky launch of my Titan IV

You sure Titan IV? Do you mean Delta IV? Cause that looks like a pretty neat Delta IV heavy. 

6 minutes ago, woeller said:

I call it Titan IV , not after the rocket but after the moon, , but in the style of Delta IV.

Ohhhhhhh. Makes sense, but a little confusing since the Titan IV is also a rocket in real life. 

11 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Ohhhhhhh. Makes sense, but a little confusing since the Titan IV is also a rocket in real life. 

Yes you are right, maybe I should rename it. How about Slate IV Heavy? Named after the the biggest moon of Sarnus(OPM).

1 hour ago, woeller said:

Yes you are right, maybe I should rename it. How about Slate IV Heavy? Named after the the biggest moon of Sarnus(OPM).

That sounds good. 

Announcing the Kannonball Express Intercity Rail Link.

GybSCmu.png

Uhm.  I have a few details still to work out...  :)

(The investors are actually hoping to provide a village <--> regional airport link with Krew Buses used to transfer Kerbals to/from commuter flights..  personally, I think they are krazy.)

And...  yes...  those are twin Wheelseys...  a good ole kero-burner.

(And...  Nellgard is an "engineer".  Not a "pilot".)

Edited by Hotel26

With the recent startup of my "Take Six" career in RSS/RO/RP-1/Principia, I bypassed the whole "burn the fins off WAC Corporals" stage by starting with A-4 rockets.

The first two launches were unaltered A-4s (aside from ballast replacing the mass of warheads that hadn't been installed).  With thermometers and barometers mounted to the guidance unit, they collected science while their batteries lasted (not much longer than the powered ascent), with the results returned by radio.  The data gathered, or course, was applied to improving the technology, and after but a few launches (which, none the less, took some three years), upgrades were available for both the booster and by then, the upper stage (based on the original WAC Corporal).

Then the failures started.

Lulled by the first couple launches of the A-9 configuration  upgrade engine with XASR-1 powered upper stage (but still in a sounding rocket form -- long and narrow, with fins and a long ogive nose, although stability in the thin air at 30+ km was augmented by spinning up the booster before staging), a version with a short, fat tank and spin-inducing ullage motors that allowed for much larger sounding payloads (for contracts) inside a smaller fairing saw four engine failures (ranging from simple failure to ignite the A-9 engine on the ground, to a combination of reduced thrust from the A-9 and failure to ignite the upper stage) in four launches.

Fortunately, the penalty for contract failure (in terms of funds) is only the same as the advance, so all I was losing was the cost of the launchers and their rollout (and considerable prestige), but after the fourth failure (with construction taking too long to permit a second try on contracts accepted before construction started), the program was down to barely :funds:30,000 in December of 1954.  Finally, I managed to complete a couple contracts, and with accumulating flight time, the A-9 engine started to settle down.

Now, in January 1955, it's time to send the astronauts to the edge of space (mainly, after the first contracts for crewed supersonic and crewed suborbital are paid, in order to keep them from retiring in 1957).