What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

18 hours ago, woeller said:

I think you have a clairvoyant gift. KSC is flooded now.

TeqTWnI.jpg

Well.... I happen to live in the tropics...
But is this a glitch, or rather an easter egg of the mod? Who knows....

Your kerbals all right?
I hope they all got to the roofs...

OK.  This looks a bit more promising!

kbSDGN7.png

I've signed it with the Hotel26 signature, "Ugly".  :)

I figure once the routes are surveyed as a series of straight legs with flags at each section indicating next direction and max speed, a run should be fast and fairly fun and require use of the Wheelsey's thrust reversers approaching the end of each section.  I've had it to 75 m/s already fairly easily with no roll instability.

Before you ask, Jeb insisted on the peacock tail; it doesn't need it.  :)

Oh yeah, the leading double bogey is raised off the ground but should contact any sudden uprise first and ease the jolt...  that's the theory.

I'll post Kannonball when and if I get a satisfactory result.

Edited by Hotel26

Back to Kerbol system to relax a bit from RSS/RO, did some manned mission and back to laythe:

qIde93b.png

thcV0sz.png

A little bath to clean those kerbals in Laythe ocean, taking one or two fishes for our scientists (but Bill ate them during way back to Kerbin..), and we can go

medb7OB.png

See you Laythe :)

gXKZGCh.png

I spent some time developing a shuttle. But, before I send it to space, I needed to make sure it will fly ok during re-entry. I fitted it with some jets and took a "above 19km temp reading" contract. Turns out it flies pretty nice but it drinks jet fuel like they aren't going to make any more.

4335823DB4E54C6E76F4C4BF559AA5A67359654D

At ~20,600m and a touch over mach 3.2(pictured there) it still uses 1.6 units of fuel per second. The only modification I made was to add a couple of drag 'chutes as it doesn't respond very well to wheel brakes and likes to roll off the end of the runway.

10 hours ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

Fortunately, the penalty for contract failure (in terms of funds) is only the same as the advance

Don't you accept the contracts just before launching the rockets? I do this, and most of the time I can manage completing contracts without problems since I've a bit more time then and I also often build (duplicate the first one) 2 rockets for each mission, since the most expensive thing is rollout costs, and if not needed, I just scrap it, you get funds back hopefully)

I've spent entirely too long trying to get a submarine to Eve, to silently cruise the purple propellium seas (or are they explodium now?).

Anyways, first I had to get it there, so I blatantly ripped off reverse engineered produced under license this neat minishuttle from @Triop.

c4MbiGp.png

Slightly modified.

Spoiler

A whitesuit won't do, this one will need Val's talents.

dBZUdtP.png

That is, extreme stubbornness... 

So now I have to get 35-ish tonnes of shuttle and sub to Eve. Best to keep it simple. Well, nothing succeeds like excess, right?
So I found... this.

TWSLSFr.png

(actual size)

So of course, things went wrong right away.

oAYj8Sl.png

Apparently an uncontrolled ridiculously large booster can get quite a long ways away on its own.
...or the SAS is as stubborn as Val...

Apparently, it bounces, too...

NnviZ3Z.png

Still going...

JfMcI6n.png

...missed it by that much...

There were... further problems as well...

24aOdac.png

Finally, sweet release!

WfgpCHN.png

some cheating may have been involved...

Arriving at Eve. Because Val isn't completely crazy, what little fuel is in the shuttle is used to break into an elongated orbit. It's just enough to capture.

wkrKAZh.png

What followed were a few dozen passes just grazing Eve's atmosphere to lower the orbit...

3ZfubDg.png

With entry heating absolutely not turned off...

Final entry... after completely forgetting about it and letting it run while I was out back. A perfect, unassisted, rock-steady entry... to the farthest point from liquid on the planet.
Reload... ok, this time I'll tweak the flight path just a bit...

fUStWzs.png

Lots of spinning and flopping around like a dying, frying fish followed. But as a testament to @Triop's design, just turning control off let the shuttle stabilize all on its own.

Final approach, now... just take it nice and slow...

OUNcjrH.png

The landing was a complete success... and then the minisub got stuck.

wJVIttJ.png

Really stuck. No amount of dragging the whole mess back and forth with its sub-engines would loosen it in Eve's high grabbity.

OK, so, I'll just pull up the cheat menu again and blow the nose off...

x4axfpa.png

It din't werk.

Finally, this did. 

Pt7FJoY.png

The relief on Val's face is palpable.
About this time, I realized Bob had snuck aboard, too.

Aaaaaand finally, after all that, we're ready to go exploring the incredible sights at the bottom of Eve's oceans! WaterBuffalo-Goat courtesy of @Angel-125.

O6aYwaY.png

Wait, what?

nH7fPEp.png

So apparently the explodium seas of Eve... are pitch black. :huh:

U2Fm0kM.png

Like, random-desert-planet-filled-with-creepy-ultrasonic-beasties-during-an-eclipse pitch black.

Visibility is a meter or two at best.

Nn7nzbi.png

Aaaand here's the bottom. 1100 meters down. And we can't see a darn thing.

co6Af4r.png

So much for exploring. lame.gif

Time to finish that little graphics tweak I've been putting off and get back to my real game... :rolleyes:

Yesterday, I loaded up KSP for the first time on my new laptop and installed Making History. The loading was painfully slow, but it loaded in the end. I messed around building some stuff with the MH parts, and then stopped playing because the load times were too slow. Does anyone know a good fix for this?

4 minutes ago, roboslacker said:

Yesterday, I loaded up KSP for the first time on my new laptop and installed Making History. The loading was painfully slow, but it loaded in the end. I messed around building some stuff with the MH parts, and then stopped playing because the load times were too slow. Does anyone know a good fix for this?

One thing you could do is removing the whole KSPedia folder, if you dont need it. I noticed on my laptop the "loading assist bundles" takes forever.

21 minutes ago, Dafni said:

One thing you could do is removing the whole KSPedia folder, if you dont need it. I noticed on my laptop the "loading assist bundles" takes forever.

Don't thing it's that, Kspedia is just a little kind of text file (but did it improve significantly your loading time? maybe I'm wrong); Anyway, longest thing to load are parts (from mods too), and textures (mods again, and mods in general).

9 minutes ago, kurgut said:

Don't thing it's that, Kspedia is just a little kind of text file (but did it improve significantly your loading time? maybe I'm wrong); Anyway, longest thing to load are parts (from mods too), and textures (mods again, and mods in general).

Well, one thing is for sure, removing KSPedia had a much bigger impact on my loading times than I would have ever expected. On a clean stock install it would cut the loading time in half on my old laptop, if not more.

But yeah, of course some mods take even longer to load. Weed out the ones you dont need, or even trim out some individual parts that you never use.

Another thing that would help would be removing all IVA's, if you can live without them. I am sure they make a huge impact too.

Edited by Dafni

2 minutes ago, Dafni said:

Well, one thing is for sure, removing KSPedia had a much bigger impact on my loading times than I would have ever expected. On a clean stock install it would cut the loading time in half on my old laptop, if not more.

But yeah, of course some mods take even longer to load. Weed out the ones you dont need, or even trim out some individual parts that you never use.

Another thing that would help would be removing all IVA's, if you can live without them. I am sure they make a huge impact too.

Good to know that! And yes IVA are very performance hungry :)

Back to RSS/RO/RP-1 - First space station contract! As I did some Nasa planned (but not done) gemini stuff (like early moon landing), I decided to go for a MOL space station instead of skylab; Launched with Titan III-E from Cape. Neil Amstrong and Alan Shepard stayed 60 days in a 200 km orbit breaking new long duration record. At end of the mission, MOL was deorbited.

Launch launch:

5UUuXek.png

Getting this thing to orbit was hard thing, here at 170 km with an insane pitch (since centaur stage has ~0.7 TWR here with almost 8 min burn )

UBmrHMu.png

Less than 100 dv left, ouf!

Spoiler

xUH8pgS.png

Neil on EVA mission to perform various experiments stored in the cargo bay

1Y2UVYf.png

And after about 2 months orbiting and grinding science, time to back, and say good bye to MOL:

So, good bye MOL

UsVfqNe.png

The crew back and safe, splaashed in Indian Ocean

MD63n2g.png

Kannonball sea trials.  (Because, of course, a "train" must be able to negotiate oceans!  And how else is it going to be deployed to any corner of Kerbin?)

Alas, Bon Voyage doesn't operate without rover wheels.  Setback.

zAPVEJ6.png

51m/s and very stable; quite agile getting out of the water even on steep slopes.

I added a jump seat for the conductor so that it can repack the chute after turns...

And the test engineers (this is my Lab world, populated by crash dummies) have opened her out on land now to 118 m/s (425 kmh).  (Didn't end well: unplanned jump...  incredibly smooth ride up until that point.  :()

Edited by Hotel26

After about 2 years of travel, the Voyager deep space probe finally arrived to Jupiter for a Flyby making it going to Saturn thanks to gravity assist.

We can see the Earth, Mercury and Venus from here, home looks so far! The little moon passing in front of Jup is Io

BACzpci.png

Good bye Jupiter:

hnHUB1j.png

Next for Voyager: Saturn flyby in 3 years, and maybe Uranus after that :)

I used my tug and lander to flip my Mun station tank around.

Phyufcw.png

With my Mun and Minmus labs still chugging away I was able to unlock some more science experiments, making it worthwhile to start launching science/scanning probes. First on Kerbin

NNwtLQ6.jpg

Then the Mun

bfSSoSO.jpg

And finally Minmus.

PGLdQfr.jpg

I started running low on snacks at my Mun station, so I decided to cycle the crew. I already had a crew-return module fuelled and supplied at the station, so I just had to load my Kerbals onto it and send it home.

IKOPXVx.png

I sent the replacement crew up with some extra fuel to support future operations.

NQTfW0Q.png

Finally, my Duna transfer window arrived, so it was time to send out my first interplanetary probe.

s0rvBGv.png

This probe has a resource scanner, a suite of repeatable science experiments and a relay dish to support future missions.

I've also got some mining parts unlocked, but I'm not sure if I want to start landing bases on the Mun and Minmus right now or wait until I have a few more parts available.