What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Did some testing of the Velocirover and its delivery aircraft, in preparation for an all stock entry to the Desert Derby 2018. That included a sub 18 minute flight from the KSC to the Desert Airfield.

Not super quick a time for the airbourne section of the challenge, but the rover is looking very fast.

5AGO3Xz.png

Dear Kerm... :o

I've gone too far, and awakened... the Kraken... :0.0:

TUyWxdl.gif

It demands.... sacrifice...

Ks9AKlZ.gif

Poor, poor Bartrid... she knew. All this time, she knew. She knew what would happen, and we would not listen!

Just look at her, Moving On with such peace and dignity, only here at the end.

Kermspeed, good Bartrid. You will be missed...
Hey, what am I, chopped liver?!?
Well, considering you just got blowed up and consumed by a manifestation of chaos from beyond reality, that's actually a pretty good analogy. 
Oh, ok...

...there will never again be any such as you, brave Bartrid.
Until I revert and try again... and again... and again... each time with the same result...
I might have a problem here...

Worked on getting the Science Station Valentina ready for her shakedown cruise to Minmus. This involved sending up a refueler to LKO and conducting this save's first docking:

screenshot86_zpsmnjfgwqw.png

screenshot90_zpsquizfjye.png

screenshot89_zpsom4h1rqd.png

Also sent the first Antelope cargo aircraft out to a survey site.

screenshot91_zps0nkvxss5.png

screenshot92_zps2bvqrxko.png

During said survey, Bob got a pretty commanding view of the local cove since one of the survey sites was on a hill. The rover handled it way easier than a Mongoose or Ocelot plane could have.

screenshot93_zpshpyetqxs.png

I couldn't get the rover to reconnect but Archie and Bob flew home. Without the rover weight, the Antelope became the first of our aircraft to break the sound barrier.

screenshot94_zpspvmfsccc.png

Also did some development work in the VAB. Worked on a rocket-launched spaceplane for tourism contracts and a Minmus lander, hope to progress on those in the near future.

Today I'm in sandbox to take a Spaceplane up to the high reaches of the atmosphere. The kerbal way.

I use this ridiculous twin jet lifter to bring Frank (our test pilot) to the upper atmosphere.

2GXNHPs.jpg

Continuing onwards after ditching the lifter once it wasn't efficient enough

GzsvY6j.jpg

Hitting 1200 m/s in high atmosphere

dEL26Sa.jpg

Ditching the empty rocket stage

pfzyEgm.png

Coming close to the ocean for a landing

VlBAas9.png

I managed to get down safe, although it was rough for Frank.

ZGDLsoB.png

That's all for today. I might launch another mission soon.

I ran into some strange bug while on the Mun. I set up a supply base (MKS) in the below sea level spot of the twin craters(~-60m). After the ninth launch, the base exploded when reaching physics range. A quick reload to about 3km away (I always save right before physics kick in), the base didn't explode, instead about 200m from the surface the kraken teleported my ship 23km away. Reload again. Then I teleported 46km. this kept going and adding 23km to each attempt. I wondered if I could go completely around the planet like that. When I was on the other side of the Mun it quit working so, I decided to hyperedit to the LZ. Hyperedit freaked out and stuck my ship into a cargo container and then the whole base exploded. All 9 of the vessels(all individuals, not at all connected except for MKS logistics) went into a ballistic trajectory heading dead south. They all landed in a cluster in a place that looked like a nice place for a base. I assembled the broken remains of the base into a shanty town arrangement thinking that if a large explosion happened on a mun base and 9 kerbals survived they would have to assemble something to continue living and that something would be the quickest, messiest thing they could build.

59F7B04E75A8E29585F6C7BDEF2BDFD4C628C5EA

The 2 mining ships were unscathed and landed on their legs(bugs are fun aren't they). the back side of shanty town has random girders at different heights so kerbals can pretend they are in a mario bros game while they climb to the hab.

After my Last post the Kermes MK-I, the epic mothership I launched was attacked by the kraken after I loaded it up again. Sadly It auto-saved after the Kraken struck so now the Kermes MK-I is in pieces...

But I can rebuild it

Larger, With More dv, and with NUCLEAR ENGINES!!!!

veoDLg6.png

*edit* apparently, KVV is broken with the new engine plates so it acts like a normal decoupler so it doesn't show the nuclear engines but they are in that cone fairing, like 7 of them.

Edited by Starslinger999

Just now, Starslinger999 said:

After my Last post the Kermes MK-I, the epic mothership I launched was attacked by the kraken after I loaded it up again. Sadly It auto-saved after the Kraken struck so now the Kermes MK-I is in pieces...

But I can rebuild it

Larger, With More dv, and with NUCLEAR ENGINES!!!!

N00Z64u.png

veoDLg6.png

That's a big rocket.

My first manned mission to Jool in my current career arrived in Laythe orbit finally.  This is also my first career with any life support (Snacks), so it made for a new challenge.  My floating base & ground rover also arrived, so the crew will have something to do while on the surface:

Floating base descending through the clouds.  

WU7ssVe.png?2

The Lynx rover following it down.  I missed the ground base & put the rover pretty much near the far end of the island. 

YafSnIU.png?2

It's down to 18km from the ground base now, didn't have time to drive it the rest of the way.

6DOMerw.png?2

Transferring crew from the Laythe station to the Pumera-Laythe spaceplane.

dS6x7wG.png?2

Flag planting at the end of the landing roll.  Made a nice landing - touchdown was just past the Lancer ground base, and after a few bounces, I the Pumera stopped about 1.2km from the base.  There is a nice, mostly smooth field that slopes up gently that makes a beautiful landing spot.  The very end (where this shot was taken) starts to turn steeper, which helped stop at the end.

9yZtRTf.png?2

Chief engineer Kelrik inspecting the solar panels after refuelling the Pumera.  Now I just need to drive the rover the rest of the way so I can take the crew the 20 or so km to the coastline to meet up with the crew boat for the next 20+ km trip to the floating base.

mAiL3vS.png?2

And for today, I'm reviving some old ideas that I never used on a mission and that, now that I had to replay a lot of missions, can be of use. This is my QuadraPlane Platform for Airborne Launching - since I do not have technology to build a high altitude plane that could take-off, go really high, fly to a mission area and then go back to KSC, I'm building a X-15 style approach: a Carrier ferry the craft to the mission area, launch the thing and that's it.

Landing the mission craft can be a challenge, as some missions doesn't have an airstrip near - but with Kerbin Side and Contract Manager installed together, there're some nice opportunities for a low-tech but high-performance solution like this.

So… This is the Report for the maiden test-flight! :) 

(note: yeah… there's a terrible typo o the screenshots! :P )

------

Carrier and X-3. Engines ignition. The Carrier is way over-engineered as it was originally built for a way heavier rockets on later missions. Since I had to rollback some missions, I choose to "tech down" some crafts. The SCANsat radar is being use to map Kerbin - I have no Tech enough for satellite surveying yet, so I do what I can on planes in the mean time.
000_Launch-Check.png

Open Cockpit view while pre-flight check and taking-off:

Spoiler

010_Pre-Flight-Check.png

020_Rolling.png

This monster juggle a lot on the airstrip, I still have some work to do in order to safely take off - right now, it's a nightmare! But once I manage to get the wheels off the ground, the huge amount of thrust make her easy to climb! She maneuver as a 2nd World War fighter!

Spoiler

030_Take-Off.png

040_Bearing.png

050_Climbing.png

Since this is still a test flight, I don't need to fly the all the way to the target. So I commenced the pre-launch checks - I'm prone to forget action groups and tweakables when merging the crafts - and yeah, I forgot some. :) 

I got some very nice internal views during these checks:

Spoiler

060_Sight-View.png

070_Level-Flight.png

Eager to capture some very nice pictures, I choose to try a launch with internal view:

Spoiler

080_Visual-Inspect.png

That was my error. I forgot to activate the AutoPilot, the Carrier started a slightly descent and I didn't noticed.

When I launched the X-3, I also did a mistake on the staging of the engines: the first X-3 stage fired up in the same time the radial decoypler's charges blew. So the X-3 had thrust at launch, that created acceleration and lift. And I mentioned that the Carrier were on a descent? :blush:

SO… Yeah. Tragedy. The X-3's wing-mounted engines hammered the Carrier belly and blew magnificently while the X-3 scratched her way under the Carrier and hit the Carrier's huge tail elevators. ripping them off.

And since I also forgot to activate the auto-screenshots on crashings (I'm using Automated Screenshot together the Historian), I don't have screenshots from this fantastic event neither.

Yeah, I'm hearing your thoughts. I agree! :D 

12 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Great flarping flapjacks... it’s beautiful...  eek2.gif

Whats the part count on that beast?

Thanks! :) 

About 230 parts the Carrier, what gives me 25 parts to be used on the payload. This can be trimmed, however - the "second floor" radial engines are easily detached, as well every juno that is not a joint pivot. Some of the wings can go away. as well some elevons.

A curiosity that took me some weeks to figure out. Since the payload (and not the Carrier) is, technically, the main vessel, use the radial decopuler on the payload. The decoupler assumes that the atached vessel is a booster or something like that, and the crossfeed behaves this way. So we need to attach the Carrier as it was the "booster". :) 

— POST - EDIT --

Tacked down some glitches on the design, and took a new screenshot on the "Second Maiden Flight" :P 

005_Launch-Check.png

Last shoot of the week - I lengthen the Carrier and this make her way less prepense to juggle by entire airstrip. She is somwhat heavier now, but with all that thrust? Not a problem.

Simple, I should had thought it before. :) 

045_Bearing.png

Edited by Lisias
uh. better grammars. And new Screenshots

Finished assembling my long-range manned exploration vessel, which is currently loitering in LKO awaiting the delivery of landers. Will probably send it to Sarnus once everything is ready.

5v8cy72thbdrq3ozg.jpg

Assembling this monstrosity was a bit of a challenge since I decided to save on part count and didn't include any RCS - thus I had to bring two small tugs to maneuver the two parts of the ship into docking with each other.

1 minute ago, NHunter said:

Finished assembling my long-range manned exploration vessel, which is currently loitering in LKO awaiting the delivery of landers. Will probably send it to Sarnus once everything is ready.

5v8cy72thbdrq3ozg.jpg

Assembling this monstrosity was a bit of a challenge since I decided to save on part count and didn't include any RCS - thus I had to bring two small tugs to maneuver the two parts of the ship into docking with each other.

I think were both building big ships today lmao:
N00Z64u.png

@Starslinger999, at least yours can be sent into space in a single launch. Mine... not so much. It has only one free attachment node along its keel*: at the top of the command module. launching my monstrosity upside down will need some insane amounts of BOOSTERS to achieve victory of thrust over aerodynamics.

* This ship has a modded Daedalus engine, which - while very efficient - is heavy (36tons, reactor needed to run it not included), unaerodynamic, useless in atmosphere and has only one attachment point. Getting that thing into space required me to build a crazy contraption of an upside-down rocket that would've fallen apart if not for a generous application of ducttape struts.

P.S. It was actually seeing your ship that inspired me to finish mine

Edited by NHunter

Devised and carried out an overly-complicated Munar probe mission involving a ballistic capture and a payload return.

screenshot62.png

screenshot73.png

screenshot74.png

Only needed about 34 m/s of dV for the circularization burn. Be jealous. :cool:

8f0screenshot83.png

Of course once science was done it was time to bring all that juicy data back to Kerbin. Mama needs her 2.5 meter parts!

So I ejected from the Mun and set up an aerobraking maneuver at Kerbin. It was around the firs aerobraking pass that I realized I forgot the parachute.

screenshot124.png

Shoot. There ended up no being enough dV left for a suicide burn, so I decided to abort the original plan and just transmit the science instead. It was still a juicy amount, but only a fraction of what I would have gotten if I had recovered it.

After that I built a cute little survey jet and then crashed it in Kerbin's southern hemisphere. Poor Mirick had to walk to the survey sites.

screenshot139.png

4a5screenshot153.png

I managed to get my Laythe rover driven the last 20km to pick up the crew & head to the coast for the boat ride out to the floating base.

KlvM64k.png?2

At the coast, happily the crew boat didn't drift away

bqFr9I9.png?2

Home sweet home for the next few months - unfortunately, I kinda messed up the base design, and it only has snacks for a little over 300 days for the crew and no way to resupply itself.  Also, the buoyancy is a little iffy.  I'm going to need to another redesign on this one. 

ZxR6KCY.png?2

Underwater shot of the base & crew boat

pzVdl8N.png?2

Sunset on Laythe - or more accurately, the sun set behind Jool.

2lscvc1.png?2

Also got the soil moisture scanner into Laythe orbit.

wQSksr8.png?2