What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I launched a 1.4 million kerbuck rocket on a direct ascent to plock. It's completely untested and uses many new parts like the nuclear reactor powering it. What could possibly go wrong?

73B5756FDFD2B22D46F1A8020D415C61B00DE036

Thats 13 SpaceY Ratites on the 7.5m first stage(2200KN each). Including the ion engines on the payload, total dV is over 33km/s. Probably overkill.

I'm preparing a new mobile base design for dispatch to Dres. The large ore tanks in the "pontoons" are there to provide more weight so it will drive better in a low gravity environment. The RCS tanks and hitchhiker containers are there because the contract wants more crew capacity and RCS fuel.

Sgkxu0w.png

Completed another mission on the Mun with my unmanned science hopper:

n3HuaBM.png

I generally suck at building planes, but, this one that I threw together rather quickly in my newer career save has actually worked out quite well.  This here is version 3.0.  First version had very basic elevons that would not provide enough lift to get the craft off the ground.  Once it hit the end of the runway, the small incline the runway sits on had enough to get it airborne and to altitude. v1 also tended to have the nose want to sink below the horizon at speed.  Version 2 updated the elevons to bigger ones after some tech tree upgrades, and version 3 moved from a single tail fin in front of the center engines, to dual tail fins mounted on each of the wing engines.

e86oDcT.png

For the first time ever, I managed to visit the poles of Kerbin. Had always tried with crappy planes before and got tired of waiting.  Here, I kicked in all 4 afterburners to get a nice headstart:

bYrTkn4.png

Jeb checks out the South Pole while the batteries charge and the bay doors open to show the science equipment:

2NX2Xrt.png

Next up in this career save is to get ready for a manned Mun mission and manned Minmus mission. Instead of building my normal type of lander, which can land on a moon/planet, then have enough dV left to return home to Kerbin, I think I'm going to go for a smaller lander that will need to redock with an orbiting ship for the return home.  Would also like to get a good, dependable rover on the surface for Jeb and friends to ride around the moons.

Started a new Science career today, since sandbox mode was providing no rewards for the work. And I decided this would be THE career... The career where mistakes mean death, and failures cannot be erased..... This career would define who I was!! THE PRESSURE IS INTENSE!!! IT'S ALMOST TOO MUCH TO HANDLE!!! YOU CAN CUT THE TENSION WITH A KNIFE!!! :0.0::0.0: .... EHEM.... Valentina died within 10 minutes...

oJnSwmV.png

;.;;.;;.;

Can I go back to reverts now?

On 8/28/2018 at 12:01 AM, qzgy said:

I believe the airframe can handle more, just the engines aren't up to it. Maybe some scaled up whiplashes could help.........

Curse you. :mad:

This happened.

MQdDV48.png

Spoiler

Nothing like bending the plane into an S while making Jeb black out in more or less straight and level flight...

SEEnAww.png

Oh. Wait. You said....

Some. ಠ_ಠ

tPXzAJW.png

Explosions happened.

GYub98H.png

Yes, those are ten-meter Whiplashes. :o
scared Jeb again!

This one's trying to escape!

UrFGJNi.png

still scared!

It got surprisingly far before I got bored...

KT45MxJ.png

Also surprising, even with Jeb at the helm, this monstrosity did not instantly reach orbital velocity upon launch. :(

FcahLUd.png

But, made it to space today!

vXNbQ23.png

Woo! Suborbital Jeb selfie!

4tEZePr.png

Woo! Inverted suborbital Jeb selfie!

Jeb, you'd better get back in the dang... thing...

jxX3v9U.png

Jeb did not get back in the thing.

D79UBdb.png

Jeb cares not about things.

0Ubxz7z.png

Jeb better have brought some snacks cuz Jeb now has to walk home.

ylZgkfM.png

stickpoke.gif

4 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

This happened.

MQdDV48.png

Hide contents

Nothing like bending the plane into an S while making Jeb black out in more or less straight and level flight...

SEEnAww.png

Oh. Wait. You said....

Some. ಠ_ಠ

tPXzAJW.png

Explosions happened.

GYub98H.png

Yes, those are ten-meter Whiplashes. :o
scared Jeb again!

This one's trying to escape!

UrFGJNi.png

still scared!

It got surprisingly far before I got bored...

KT45MxJ.png

Also surprising, even with Jeb at the helm, this monstrosity did not instantly reach orbital velocity upon launch. :(

FcahLUd.png

But, made it to space today!

vXNbQ23.png

Woo! Suborbital Jeb selfie!

4tEZePr.png

Woo! Inverted suborbital Jeb selfie!

Jeb, you'd better get back in the dang... thing...

jxX3v9U.png

Jeb did not get back in the thing.

D79UBdb.png

Jeb cares not about things.

0Ubxz7z.png

Jeb better have brought some snacks cuz Jeb now has to walk home.

ylZgkfM.png

stickpoke.gif

...... I.... have..... SO many questions.... :blink:

39 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

This happened.

*evil laughter intensifies*

I was hoping for something like this. 

The 10-meter whiplash es make the entire actual StratoLauncher look puny though. Not that I'm complaining, overkill is just about enough in this case. 

Maybe though..... Make the StratoLaunch bigger? Proportional to the scaled up Whiplashes for even more insanity capacity? 

Spoiler

10 meter Whiplashes are fun aren't they? ^_^

44 minutes ago, qzgy said:

*evil laughter intensifies*

I was hoping for something like this. 

The 10-meter whiplash es make the entire actual StratoLauncher look puny though. Not that I'm complaining, overkill is just about enough in this case. 

Maybe though..... Make the StratoLaunch bigger? Proportional to the scaled up Whiplashes for even more insanity capacity? 

Reveal hidden contents

10 meter Whiplashes are fun aren't they? ^_^

Sadly, I think the overall design has hit its limit. This is actually my smaller, original design, the bigger one only summoned the Kraken. 

Altho... @JadeOfMaar does have some pretty big SABRE-type engines, I wonder if...

Ahhhhh, crap.   :mad:

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

4 hours ago, Lisias said:

While diagnosing and (trying to) fixing a problem on a Mod, I ended up trashing a lot of Missions I did (under Contract Configurator). Since I already had set back my savegame  due involuntary cheating (I forgot a cheat activated testing another problem), I didn't bored to try to restore it from a backup.

However, I also ended up with a hand full of Tourists that just don't go away! (leftovers from the vanished missions).

Since I vowed not to kill a single Kerbal on this savegame, I think I will torture them for some time before dismissing them - I vowed not to kill, and that's all I vowed to. :cool:.

So I took my X-3 Mach3 plane, shoved some cabins on it and put some (Screaming) Tourist to fly over Mach 2 at 5 meters high. I'm pretty sure they realized pretty fast the reason the vomit bags were replaced by diapers on the emergency kit…. :sticktongue:

2.5Gs of acceleration on a straight line:
010.png

and almost 11Gs on turning.
020.png

Boy, I'm happy now. :) 

— — — — 

But since we are already here, and also due that vanishing missions accident, I'm redoing my CC missions again - what's being interesting (and funny) with the current know-how. This is my (re)flight of Tito's Tourism, my Space Tourism kick off rocket. 100% recoverable - if you manage to get the thing in orbit (really hard, as I don't eject absolutely nothing, not even the escape tower - that is used to help on the deorbit burn, so tight is my fuel profile!). This baby had 140tons at launch, and now with tanks near depleted, she's weighting about 35 tons.

Tito wants a 4 hours flight, so I'll probably will scare the "paper" out of him only tomorrow morning. 3:-)
100-Orbit.png

Hey what mods is your cockpit on X-3-PAX  sorry if you said it

Edited by LushChicken

4 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Altho... @JadeOfMaar does have some pretty big SABRE-type engines, I wonder if...

Ahhhhh, crap.   :mad:

You better do something with the new SCIMITAR 2.5m jet engine I put in there. :sticktongue: Based on the real concept, it's even more advanced than SSTO engines and appears after them in the CTT. It's not meant to help you go to space but it'll push further than a Whiplash cluster, with efficiency near that of a Dry Panther.

hueN6j7.jpg

Spoiler

41NFH1s.png

Coming back from a bit of a hiatus, I naturally jumped right into my shuttles, which I'm shocked I remembered how to fly.  So I did some station-y things.

175screenshot420.pngscreenshot431.png

Then I decided to finally go check out a landing strip that's added by one of the mods.  I wanted to take a nuclear electric plane, but I didn't really want to fly there.

screenshot438.pngscreenshot442.pngscreenshot443.png

screenshot445.pngscreenshot447.png

screenshot448.pngee4screenshot451.pngb50screenshot452.png

Edited by Geonovast

3 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

You better do something with the new SCIMITAR 2.5m jet engine I put in there.

Skylon!  RULE BRITTANIA!!

All stock (3x Rapiers per SCIMITAR?):

DUDhOph.png

sGQoKAu.png

TVWUMSB.png

Not my first attempt at Skylon, but this one inspired by JadeOfMaar (= "copycatted from'), now a hero!  Thank you, sir!

I don't usually duplicate craft for missions and already have an efficient 16-pax SSTO (Peregrine), but I think I'll replace the cargo bay in this one with a Mk-3 MP reservoir to take up and replenish space station supplies.

@Geonovast welcome back!  (Missed your slide shows!)

Edited by Hotel26

A training mission to the Island Airfield went well, until the hard landing:

screenshot95_zps2mtzwhgp.png

Sent an Oryx lander up to rendezvous with the Valentina. This will be used for Minmus expeditions, but we can't leave yet because we need more fuel. I've got another module in the works, a better drive section for the Val that is under construction.

screenshot96_zpsyjcr6ea6.png

screenshot97_zpsh0761any.png

screenshot98_zpszkg0ml7j.png

Also sending out rover missions, to build a spaceplane ILS for KSC and gather local science.

screenshot99_zpsoyznztkk.png

screenshot100_zpsbgczaauz.png

I put three flags leading to the runway 10 km apart, with the farthest marked for 1000m altitude and the inner marker 500m. Should help to prevent steep descents and hard turns on final.

Finally, I launched Tito Kerman as the first tourist in this save, aboard the KA-4 Pipistrelle spaceplane.

screenshot102_zpsu0hwbz21.png

First attempt required a ascent abort, which worked well although we lost the booster.

screenshot103_zpsdbam7kea.png

The Pipistrelle in orbit, and gliding back to KSC. I messed up the reentry and landed in the desert, but accuracy should improve with experience.

screenshot104_zpscyabin00.png