What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Question? What are the odds of landing on land when your aiming for water...on Laythe? They're obviously pretty high because that's what I just did. I was trying to land in the water between two islands, but I overcooked my deceleration burn and ended up parachuting onto one of them. I filmed the entire landing, and will edit that and put it to a song I really like whenever my schedule permits. Here are some screen caps after the landing.

qYnOeQ7.png

A low ranking scientist was sent out to test the air.

dulrpQR.png

Here he is planting my flag.

unr1GNB.png

Here it is from the front.

7yMjXJ0.png

Having successfully landed, I granted this mobile base a name: Vespucci. Named for the first European to realize that the Americas were not in act part of East Asia.

Oh and here is a bit of a punchline: This mobile base is a boat. I accidentally landed a boat base on an island, on Laythe. Landing on land is fine, since I intentionally launched it with empty fuel tanks to save weight. I left just enough fuel for a short cruise to a nearby land mass where it would mine and refine liquid propellant.

Decided that I should re-learn KSP(I was too used to using cheats and HE...), so decided to do things that newbies would do(wait, am I really not a noob? I'm not so sure).
So, first thing: Mun Landing.
Well, it 'does' work...but I think I should think about 'all dat numberz' next time!

https://imgur.com/a/mlfpZZs
Edited by DunnoAnyThing

Not much of interest happened in my game yesterday. I launched a pair of Boop Boop 7 probes to high Kerbin orbit for contracts; one of them was cashed in while the other won't arrive at its apoapsis - out past Minmus - for another twelve days at least. I had a contract to haul a Juno into flight between 0-2000 meters, so I reluctantly put Jeb into a Bad Idea 1a surveyor plane, got it up to speed and promptly shut the engines off when the contract was fulfilled. I've been having gear trouble with the design lately and I didn't have a lot of runway left at that point; in retrospect, letting Jeb fly the pattern once might not've been a bad idea. That said, he did bring 2/3 of the plane safely to the ground just short of the ocean...

Next up was a KerBalloons flight to test the 1.25 meter chutes:

BMWzDHQ.png
Beep...beep...beep...beep......everytime I think of this, I'm hearing Leonard Nimoy's voice. I used to play Civilization 4 quite a bit...

Did have to redesign the Kaputnik 7 a little bit when I realized I'd put on the 0.625 meter balloon. Couldn't figure out why the stupid thing didn't want to take off. Once the right size of balloon was in place, the mission was a bit more successful.

Jeb then flew another aerial survey halfway across Kerbin using a Bad Idea 2 surveyor plane; his mission was successful, and he even managed to bring the plane back intact for once.

After that it was parts testing at the launchpad, specifically a TT-70 radial decoupler:

3jFeTtD.png
FORE!!! Ah, sliced it! At least it still wound up fairly close to the pin...

Finished the day with the rescue of pilot Nedbus Kerman from LKO followed with another heat shield test at the launchpad, and then Jeb went to LKO with tourists Gregney and Phodard Kerman aboard a Kerbal Tour Bus Light 7 craft. Still waiting for Bob to reach Mun; he's about an hour out at this point. Lot of waiting for stuff to get to where it's going right now.

I spent nearly 400,000 funds on buying parts, cleaning up my career's craft saves, and designing a new solid-fuel lifter and resupply craft for the Valentina.

When all that was done I wanted to actually do something, so I sent Bill and Archie on a survey mission in the improved Antelope aircraft:

screenshot120_zpsuijxt3ll.png

screenshot122_zpssppdjr6q.png

But, we ran out of fuel even with the extended range version. And, it turns out unpowered turboprops can do a decent stand-in for airbrakes; this is Archie in a full-on dive just to stay above stall speed. This plane cannot glide very far.

screenshot123_zps2kyv2pq0.png

screenshot124_zpsqkk9memp.png

Archie successfully ditched, in the ocean at night, losing the engines and gear but both crew survived.

What a pain. Did get some science, but I'm short on funds again.

1 hour ago, Atlessa said:
I built a (barebones) MAD CATerpillar.
Album a/PKbc5zO will appear when post is submitted

Edit:  Ok, what part of the album code does the software expect??

None of it. The imgur album button went through several cycles of working and not working as imgur and the forums changed how they worked, but has been broken for quite a while. There's no way to know that though, so don't worry about it.

26 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

None of it. The imgur album button went through several cycles of working and not working as imgur and the forums changed how they worked, but has been broken for quite a while. There's no way to know that though, so don't worry about it.

So how do I post pictures, then?  Drag and drop does nothing, no button seems to work (I have the pics on my hard drive), the imgur button is broken as you said...  Yet people post pictures all the time. 

I'm confused.  o.o

23 minutes ago, Atlessa said:

So how do I post pictures, then?  Drag and drop does nothing, no button seems to work (I have the pics on my hard drive), the imgur button is broken as you said...  Yet people post pictures all the time. 

I'm confused.  o.o

You have to use the direct image link from Imgur, the one ending in .png, etc. Right click>copy image link, then paste and hit enter. Albums won’t work but images in an album will. 

I had time to get my Duna base landed in the same hemisphere as the spaceplane with the crew.  Just above Duna's atmosphere with the transfer stage drifting away.

1NbOG17.png?2

I ended up jettisoning the oversize heatshield really early and relied on the landing engines to finish dropping speed & got reasonably close to my target - close enough that I taxied the spaceplane rather than attempting a short hop.  Too bad the landing legs on the base all blew up when I jettisoned & self-destructed the landing engines.  It's gonna be difficult to attach the mining & power wings that are still in orbit.

GrxvgjA.png?2

I also had time to drop the new Buffalo-Duna rover within a short drive of the new base as well

mlIpO2K.png?2

Last but not least, my original crew of Jool explorers arrived in Kerbin orbit after many years away from home, along with a pair of rescue's from Laythe orbit.

pZNYFhe.png?2

After transferring to the crew shuttle, Jeb made a nice dawn landing back at KSC.  Despite being rusty from years in space, he managed to put it on the runway on the first try & stopped with the same number of parts it had on takeoff.

NrIU3Ag.png?2

1 hour ago, Triop said:

That's it, I'm selling my kid to get a better computer... :lol:

I don't know man - I suggested that to my wife once. I don't remember too much of what happened after that but the docs are confident that I'll still make a full recovery...

8 minutes ago, capi3101 said:

I don't know man - I suggested that to my wife once. I don't remember too much of what happened after that but the docs are confident that I'll still make a full recovery...

I'm divorced, no problem here. :cool:

Edited by Triop

Just now, Triop said:

I count 7 parts, what seems to be the problem ?

See the vessel's mass. For some reason, nearly every new vessel I make in SPH (And only SPH) has a mass measured in bajilion tons. No struts can keep up with that mass, my vessel suddenly torn apart by it's own weight as soon as it's loaded (Sometimes blowing up the runway as well)

23 minutes ago, ARS said:

See the vessel's mass. For some reason, nearly every new vessel I make in SPH (And only SPH) has a mass measured in bajilion tons. No struts can keep up with that mass, my vessel suddenly torn apart by it's own weight as soon as it's loaded (Sometimes blowing up the runway as well)

giphy.gif

Sorry, had to do this, goodluck with your problem. ^_^

Edited by Triop

1 hour ago, ARS said:

In that case, that’s what you get for putting your space center on a neutron star. -_-

Er, is it a specific part or any vessel at all?

56 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

In that case, that’s what you get for putting your space center on a neutron star. -_-

Er, is it a specific part or any vessel at all?

Any vessel I built in SPH (Not VAB, I can build normally there)

So erm.... I think I *slightly* misjudged the empty mass of the processing module. By about 90 tons.TAHYzhY.jpg

I have to get this thing to the Mun and docked. That chunky tank and engine setup in the back is the capture and munar maneuvering block and gets about 800m/s dV when attached. I need about 4900 more to get it from Kerbin to the station.

The launcher this thing will be something Jeb will like I think.

Yesterday began with Jeb returning his Kerbal Tour Bus Light 7 craft from LKO with tourists Phodard and Gregney aboard:

Gt7HXUr.png
Sure, Phodard is all smiles now...bet she won't be when here in a minute when the flames out the window get REALLY intense...

Jeb managed to park the ship about ten klicks offshore from KSC. They probably could've all swam that distance, right?

After that, Val was launched aboard a Kerbal Tour Bus II 7 craft with tourists Raden, Newsted, Johnsby and Criswig Kerman on a sightseeing mission into Munar orbit; Val got her craft there and started back before the day was out. She'll hit Kerbin's atmo in about another ninety minutes or so. A mission to retrieve pilot Lisbin Kerman from LKO was also successful, the Gurney 7 rescue ship sent to pick her up landing about 26 klicks inland from KSC.

By far, though, the most interesting thing that happened yesterday was Bob's historic Mun mission aboard the Flaming Death Trap 7:

Haz4iQv.png
This was about the time I realized I'd forgotten to turn the suicide burn data on in KER...

cQrMyQz.png
Kerbal scientists are still working on sticking the giant sword through the planet so that it'll match the flag. Long live the Empire!!

dn4uZXn.png
I still say that Bob wasted too much gas getting here from the Twin Craters...

Ordinarily when I make this run with Bob in the early Career game, I'm happy if he manages to get data from three or four biomes before fuel concerns force him to return home. This trip, he got data from five - Highlands, Twin Craters, Lowlands, Midland and Midland Craters - before heading back to orbit. The exploration contracts after his arrival required me to dock two craft in Kerbin's orbit, which I did with a pair of Agena 7 craft (not replicas). Having then received the go-ahead to begin Minmus exploration (where I really want to go), Bob burned for home and brought back nearly 2500 points of sweet sweet science upon his successful return. He also cleared contracts for orbital Mun and Kerbin sci and ground Mun sci in the process.

The plan for today is to get Val's bunch down safe, figure out what's still keeping me from getting the Fireball 7a Minmus sci lander from being able to launch, launch the damn thing with Bob aboard and get the Minmus exploration missions going. I've got two rescue missions in the pipe, a satellite adjustment mission, a new sat mission over Mun (which I'm hoping to be able to put an ore scanner on; it calls for a polar orbit), and a couple of lame-looking / more-difficult-than-it-needs-to-be parts tests to slog through. 

9 hours ago, ARS said:

Game, are you drunk?

t5s7O1a.png

Hmm. That's not a particularly imaginative chameleon circuit that TARDIS has installed there...

Differential diagnosis - Is there a particular part that makes the mass jump like that when you add it to your craft? And what mods do you have installed?

46 minutes ago, capi3101 said:

Differential diagnosis - Is there a particular part that makes the mass jump like that when you add it to your craft? And what mods do you have installed?

I don't know how to explain, but when I'm just placing the first part, any part, the mass immediately spikes above 5 million tons (the part's description still says the normal mass though), with more and more added as more parts are placed. About the mods that's installed in my KSP is OPT (new and legacy), vessel mover, tweakscale and rocket emporium (only OPT and vessel mover is up to date). I'll try to clean the entire mod folders tonight to find out what causing it

Edited by ARS

46 minutes ago, ARS said:

I don't know how to explain, but when I'm just placing the first part, any part, the mass immediately spikes above 5 million tons (the part's description still says the normal mass though), with more and more added as more parts are placed. About the mods that's installed in my KSP is OPT (new and legacy), vessel mover, tweakscale and rocket emporium (only OPT and vessel mover is up to date). I'll try to clean the entire mod folders tonight to find out what causing it

My money's on Tweakscale, but I'll wait to see what you turn up.