What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today I again tested out some stock props. Previously i had tested stuff on modded Eve (3x rescale to size, 1.2 G, 10 atmospheres), and my initial design worked fine (but getting it through the atmosphere intact was a challenge).

Knowing when to unfeather the prop and start it up was a challenge, and it didn't go too fast under its own power, but it worked:

(I think it was still decelerating from its descent from orbit here):

VMrtlXU.png

I tried the same design on my modded duna (Atmosphere MW reduced by about 10%, gravity increased by 25%, atmosphere height increased, 3x size, oceans added):

Do5Wq2b.png

The fairing bearing didn't seem to hold the prop rotor in place, the lack of resistance in duna's atmosphere really let the thing spin up, I kept losing the prop.

I tried a different prop design, and used the mission builder to test it. Torque on takeoff or overspeeding the blades (to the point that they expand outward from centrifugal force and hit the ground) was a problem, but with appropriate control of the prop feathering, I was able to takeoff, and immediately set out trying to cross one of the seas:

ZiUp7MQ.png

Q9wpMnO.png

Here you see its binary companion Rald (well its 3-4x the mass, so Duna is a moon of Rald, I keep meaning to try sigma binary), and distant Ike:

DdJY4Ex.png

It flew pretty well once it got off the ground, although I did make all high altitude maneuvers very gently, and even 2x timewarp destroy the rotor in short order:

t1GzjDF.png

No timewarp, but its max speed got to 153 m/s... so thats like using 4x timewarp on a rover going 38 m/s, without having to worry about the surface terrain.

gnqA2BE.png

It got above 9000 meters (again the atmosphere height was rescaled to 1.8x on this 3x rescaled Duna, but the MW of the gas was decreased, and the gravity was increased, so I don't know what this is equivalent to on stock Duna)... and I could see the other shore, and could probably make it on glide:

zOQHJcI.png

or at least the closer island... shortly after this I tried 2x physics warp and destroyed the rotor.

Before I did... cockpit shots:

uBvPDYA.png

Yob6Niw.png

I had given it a 2nd set of docking ports to make redocking the rotor easy, but I was encountering some bug where I couldn't undock it. As it is, saving and reloading can attach the rotor because the ports are close enough.

Also, I made it so that the rotor moves far enough forward that it can redock at the back (spin the rotor backwards on the ground, or adjust the pitch so that the blades make drag and get pushed back... alternately, I'm thinking of adjusting their default pitch slightly so that they can be made to thrust backwards by changing the pitch without spinning them backwards)

Today, I HyperEdited a 3000-ton E class asteroid into an orbit analogous to that of Comet Halley.

Then, I built the Giotto probe analog, and performed a close flyby.

Since the asteroids aren't as big as Halley, I had to perform a much closer flyby- and the object was still only 2 pixels across.

sUh37wq.png

(Yup, that little, miserable dot that you didn't see if there were no target marker. I already cropped the image.)

Anyways, closest approach was 6.6 km from the comet. This picture was taken a few seconds before closest approach.

Speed relative to comet was 8.5 km/s. At least there weren't any pea-sized cometary particles to damage the spacecraft and destroy the camera.

8 hours ago, Triop said:

Almost arriving at the Southpole. ^_^

<snip>

What is the Kurburger Kurburgring ? Can I have a go ? :cool:

The challenge thread is kind of old, so I'm not sure if we should post in it anymore, but it shows what the course is that's used for the "Kurburgring Lap."

It's got some easy straightaways, but also some hairpin turns, so to set a good lap time your car needs to both fast and have good maneuverability.

I'm playing a 3.2x rescale with AVP and took one of my planes out for a trip to the desert airfield. While cruising at mach 2.6 the sun started going down behind me.

jItMZ3P.jpg

7KdesHZ.jpg

Night time landing went well, and Jeb stayed on the runway for a couple hours until morning caught back up.

kWgGUcT.jpg

i4qUsq2.jpg

And off we go to see the pyramids!

4zt9mTW.jpg

My next Laythe crew arrived & docked with Hadke Kerman station to wait for the arriving spaceplanes.

EVcobrX.png?2

They were followed shortly thereafter by Pumera-Laythe 2, pictured here just before skimming Laythe's atmosphere for an aero-capture.  Now that the first replacement spaceplane has arrived, surface operations can start back up.  The aerocapture was nearly too deep - most of the plane was glowing red as it left the atmosphere.  The  main parts not glowing were the nuke engine (which has a radiator attached) & the airbrakes (which I retracted to keep them intact).

quaLzXU.png?2

My Sundiver probe also reached its 990,000km Pe & started dropping the Ap for half an hour or so.  Got it down about halfway between Eve & Moho, next maneuver will be to drop the Pe to 500,000 & see if anything blows up there.  

lGbB6LE.png?2

Edited by Cavscout74

Since I've decided to do a complete re-design of my shuttle program, I have also decided to, reluctantly, take this opportunity to migrate to 1.4.5.:/.  This was mainly due to KSP creeping up to 20 GB of RAM usage last night, and me deciding to start over with everything current rather than track down an incredibly weird, seemingly intermittent issue that appeared to have something to do with pausing the game for long intervals.

Just now, Geonovast said:

Since I've decided to do a complete re-design of my shuttle program, I have also decided to, reluctantly, take this opportunity to migrate to 1.4.5.:/.  This was mainly due to KSP creeping up to 20 GB of RAM usage last night, and me deciding to start over with everything current rather than track down an incredibly weird, seemingly intermittent issue that appeared to have something to do with pausing the game for long intervals.

Wait, does 1.4.5 fix RAM usage!?

I've done it, I drove all the way from the Northpole to the Southpole.

14 days in real life, 17 days in the game, this was the most insane thing I did so far in KSP.

Was it fun ? yes.

Was it stupid ? yes.

Will you do it again ? No.

gQoJjCh.png

Thanks to all the people that supported me, you really kept me motivated. &)

You can read the full log here: ^_^

12 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

The challenge thread is kind of old, so I'm not sure if we should post in it anymore, but it shows what the course is that's used for the "Kurburgring Lap."

Interesting.

I3zuSX0.jpg

I'd like to redo that challenge using the Races! mod (It's a mod that let's you put up gates that can register your time).

If @He_162 approves of course. &)

6 hours ago, Geonovast said:

decided to, reluctantly, take this opportunity to migrate to 1.4.5

Say it ain't so!!  :)

I only have 8GB but don't run a lot of mods...  Memory usage particularly creeps up when changing in and out of e.g. Space Center/Tracking Station.  It's not so bad if you are just changing ships.  I'm on Linux and I keep the system monitor up, so simply reboot KSP when it is approaching swap territory.  (I know this doesn't help you particularly.)

In any case, when I upgrade, I will be running parallel worlds long enough to "kick the tires".

Edited by Hotel26

1 minute ago, Hotel26 said:

so simply reboot KSP when it is approaching swap territory.

Basically what I did too.  20 GB isn't swap territory for me yet, but it was going a lot slower than normal.  I even changed the nice value to -20, and no change.

40 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Basically what I did too.  20 GB isn't swap territory for me yet, but it was going a lot slower than normal.  I even changed the nice value to -20, and no change.

In my experience, Windows will start using its swap well before Linux does.  If there's 20GB of physical memory and the working sets of all processes sum to 10-12GB, on Linux it won't have touched the swap but in Windows it will.  The onset of thrashing slowdown is seen a lot earlier in Windows.

Edited by Jacke

Oh boy, what did I screw up this time?

kCUotGH.png

Also, what moon is in this image? The big one is Jool, but whats the other one?

RfSAutJ.png

I know which one it is, but do you?

7Q4aO8p.png

THAT IS A TRIPLE ECLIPSE THIS IS AMAZING

Man, I love Scatterer and EVE!

Edited by Kebab Kerman

Time to launch the last module for the fuel station (my god this thing is going to lag so bad. Any suggestions for lag mitigations?), and apparently the superheavy lift rocket I developed for getting the converter modules out is actually rather well suited to hauling these things up and out into space.

Speaking of the lifter, I think I've fixed the staging issue taking out engines.

Edit 2: Positive uncontrolled feedback loops between SAS and the rocket payload are not fun. If I cant get a feedback loop between SAS input and payload movement that results in changes being nulled out (aka the rocket isnt trying to wobble itself to death) then its back to the VAB to more intelligently place my struts.

Edit 3: Wheee! Out of memory crashes are so fun! One would figure 12GB of system ram would be enough to play KSP but nope, has to be a memory hog.

Edited by Cyrious

10 minutes ago, Triop said:

Don't ask . . . <_<

Spoiler

XNRRKjq.png

But inquiring minds want to know!

Besides, I didn't know you could make water that opaque in KSP.  I'm assuming there's a craft under the surface connecting those wheels.  Do tell :)

48 minutes ago, Jacke said:

Besides, I didn't know you could make water that opaque in KSP.  I'm assuming there's a craft under the surface connecting those wheels.  Do tell

Nope, they just broke off and floated like ducks.

Jeb is on the bottom with whatever is left of his "flying" coffin. -_-

Edited by Triop

Remember our Giotto yesterday? I brought it back.

I didn't want to keep it in deep space, nor did I want to just terminate it.

So I HyperEdited it into Low Kerbin Orbit (Forgive me- the apoapsis of the thing was beyond Jool), and sent a spaceplane up to fetch it.

I brought it down, and recovered the spaceplane.

Then I went into the VAB, brought up the probe, and made it into a statue.

I now have Giotto placed in front of the VAB yellow doors.

(Pretend it's the real thing- I recovered it, after all.)

2 minutes ago, Triop said:

Nope, they just broke off and floated like ducks.

Guessed that. ;)