What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Finally starting a 1.4.5 game for realz. Science mode using GPP, a 2.5x scaled system and only 20% science return. Lastly I'm trying not to leave any garbage in planetary or lunar orbits (solar is okay). This should be very interesting. Tonight i did some initial science collection and launched my first orbital satellite to collect telemetry and Geiger Counter readings over all the biomes from low orbit.

Really having fun building as simple as possible. This satellite used a pair of tiny solid rocket boosters to complete its orbit and another pair to de-orbit. Worked really well!

Satellite design in the VAB:

W8aGNUy.png

Launch images in Spoiler if you want to see a few more pix:

Spoiler

hHLz8n5.png

x3AkLSm.png

GsbFcEO.png

Second Stage separation. 2 retro-rockets fire to drop the stage back into the atmosphere

SMO0Mfi.png

Circularization with mini SRBs. Only two are firing. The other pair will be used for the de-orbit burn

I57Ejhf.png

In orbit collecting sweet sweet science:

T6iOD9B.png

Edited by Tyko

Well, today I did a lot of stuff.

First up, I tested my Cassini-Huygens replica by HyperEditing a copy to Sarnus. I tested the Huygens landing bit, where I had to manoeuvre to an impact trajectory, then release Huygens, then manoeuvre back to a flyby trajectory. Apparently there's no reentry plasma, even when I entered Tekto at Tekto escape velocity. Everything worked out well for the test, so I'm happy with sending the real one over to Sarnus. (I reverted to launch afterwards,)

Second, I conducted more science on my Parker Solar Probe replica, which reached perihelion. Took a few measurements. The twin solar panels generated 46000 units of electricity per second, which surprised me. 

Third, I brought the Sputnik replica back to the KSC. I sent up a grabber probe, and then I planned a descent that would take me to the KSC peninsula. And then I recovered it, and made it a statue, which I put next to my Giotto statue.

Lastly, I launched yet another legacy probe. This time, Kepler, which is en route to the Kerbol-Kerbin L5 point. I did this by putting it on a Kerbol-centric orbit, which had a period of 1 year and 71 days (1 and 1/6 years), and a perihelion at Kerbin's orbital altitude.. Since the L5 point is 1/6th of an orbit behind Kerbin, when I get to perihelion again, I would be in the L5 point, if you get what I mean. Once I get to perihelion I can just burn to slow down, and the I would be in the L5 point permanently. (Not like KSP even simulates an N-body problem- I just want to put the probe where it would be.)

(I was a orbital mechanics numpty when I thought the L5 point was at 1/3 of an orbit behind Kerbin, and aimed for a 1 year 142 day period. Only when I had checked Wikipedia then I found that I was utterly wrong, so I had to slow down before I was too far from perihelion. :P)

Edited by Ho Lam Kerman

Tw0JiWa.png

I made this for a base contract on Vall. I had a long, boring, annoying, expensive day waiting for my car to get serviced, came home in a bad mood, and made this. I like it and I'm going to use it. It has VTOL capability, mainly so it can hop up a few meters and get data from flying over biomes.

6 hours ago, Geonovast said:

OH GOD HOW DID I DO THIS.  I wish I could repeat this, but I have no idea how I did it.

32 x symmetry with a single placement.

Spoiler

c41screenshot25.png

That was likely Editor Extensions.  Part Wizard can help if you need to break or remake symmetry.

First space station in this RP-1 career! First I launched the core module (kind of Zarya) with my current heavy launcher: first stgae is 4 LR87-LH2 helped with 2 Titan solid boosters, upper stage is a single J-2-s engine.

cU019JS.png

But I had a failure in one of my 4 first stage engines.. hopefully the 3 remaining were enough to do the job and correct the trajectory, fieuwh!

F2BgLM4.png

Done! Now have to launch the habb module and dock it

mGvegIR.png

I launched with a modified version of Diamant-2 (my launcher), with a single F-1 for the first stage (4 times less chance to have a failure then :sticktongue:)

I6i0obG.png

But, aaaaah the docking ports, my little friends!! well, they doesn't accept the 3 docking configurations (I use the apas-75), only 2, and the one they don't like is that I designed all the station to be working for,.. kind of annoying:confused:

IKOj9gR.png

Now, the crew!

uKAhpa1.png

The launch was good and nominal, no failure, glorious!

jaf2Nia.png

But as I expected, the same problem was here, so the station looks a bit.... misaligned.. :)

H5VrEq9.png

But Yegor fixed that, at least for the solar panels, and for future launches, I will designed the spacecrafts that their docking port will be friendly with those of the station.

wi77bh1.png

They have 150 days of supplys, so I plan launching a supply stuff very soon, with a bunch of science experiments on it!

Edited by kurgut

Conducting flight testing of the Jolly Roger.  Just clocked it straight and level at 22.5km @ 1570m/s sustained, with a fuel draw of 1.24 kal/sec.  (That was just before the Mk2 cockpit exploderated due to residual heat from re-entry.)

MCr8S44.png

I pirated the design from @Cavscout74 (Pumera) and then discovered he had, ahem, also rev-enged the design from @XLjedi (Star Ranger), so muchos kudos to youse guys and my hat off to you both.

Ho ho ho.  :)

Edited by Hotel26

8 hours ago, Cyrious said:

Yah, was wondering why my miner was shaking wildly. It was only AFTER i made it all the way to orbit and tried to switch to another craft that I realized "Oh, it thinks im still on the ground. Well, back to main menu then back in." Fixed it, and now I'm launching *for real* this time.

Hmmm, other things the V2 miner is going to need... Moar Boosters are an option but I dont want to spend extra mass on Karbonite drills.

Edit: well, i have successfully delivered my first cargo of ore to the station. Need to go harvest more and look into making a much bigger ore miner/hauler. I'd like to have the onboard ore reserves full in less than 13-15 flights and over a year in-game.

This thing is doing very well on Minmus and I think, if you don't fill the ore tanks completely (it has lots of ore tanks), should work well on mun as well.

On Minmus, I can pick up a full load 2 to 3 times to my space station (refinery) without refilling the fuel tanks.

oIsWfkr.png

4 hours ago, Jacke said:

That was likely Editor Extensions.  Part Wizard can help if you need to break or remake symmetry.

Except I don't use either of those mods, in any of my installs, and the only mod installed on this particular install is KER.

2 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

Conducting flight testing of the Jolly Roger.  Just clocked it straight and level at 22.5km @ 1570m/s sustained, with a fuel draw of 1.24 kal/sec.  (That was just before the Mk2 cockpit exploderated due to residual heat from re-entry.)

MCr8S44.png

I pirated the design from @Cavscout74 (Pumera) and then discovered he had, ahem, also rev-enged the design from @XLjedi (Star Ranger), so muchos kudos to youse guys and my hat off to you both.

Ho ho ho.  :)

Try putting more radiators on it, that should help. If it looks bad, just clip it into the craft. 

Yesterday was another day of killing time while I wait for Lemgun and Bob to make it out to Minmus. The day started with Jeb and a Kerbal Tour Bus 2 flight to LKO, with tourists Malmund and Calubal Kerman aboard; their flight was uneventful. The rescue of scientist Leing Kerman was next; that mission was also successful and closely followed with another decoupler test at the launchpad. That one was left of the pin and several meters past the green...

(Pin = the flag pole out by the Launch Pad. Probably obvious but I figured I'd clarify...).

A double-LKO rescue op took place next with the flight of a Gurney 7b rescue ship. The craft launched to pick up scientist Ludson Kerman, then performed a rendezvous to pick up engineer Naford Kerman:

t8nqnEE.png
Greetings, Naford. How do you feel about being stuck out on a refinery on Mun for the rest of your career?

Don't let the screenie fool you - there was a nose cone on the craft when it launched. 'Was' being the operative word there...and its disposal was deliberate.

Both Kerbals were successfully rescued, returning to Kerbin about 25 klicks to the east of KSC.

My scanning probe arrived in Munar polar orbit, and after it was put into final position, an attempt to scan the surface for ore was made. Unfortunately, the craft had insufficient battery/charging power; the two attempts to survey Mun both halted at about 85% completion. Next time I'll put in more batts.

Another probe was launched to polar LKO; the contract specified an HKO, so it was boosted up to its contract apoapsis; final placement should occur later today. 

Finally, I did a ground survey in the vicinity of KSC 27 using a Scimobile II, with Jeb driving.

Cr35D1o.png
Cue the theme from Knight Rider (the original one). Maybe cut in a little Dukes of Hazzard occasionally. Only Jeb would cruise over the surface of Kerbin at over 110 mph at night...

Jeb wound up hitting five waypoints taking him nearly thirty klicks from the space center. For good measure, he brought back the Scimobile all the way to KSC 09. Only managed to break one headlight.

This morning, Jeb launched aboard a Gurney 7a manned rescue ship to go pick up Jesgun Kerman from a high inclined orbit over Kerbin (I have Lemgun and a Jesgun - the better both not be scientists or I'll wind up getting them mixed up all the time). That mission is probably going to be ongoing today, I've got another high inclined Kerbin rescue to affect and an up/down VIP mission in the pipe. Other than that, stuff's pretty much on hold until my scientists reach Minmus...

55 minutes ago, Kebab Kerman said:

Try putting more radiators on it,

Thanks for the advice!

Not necessary for a couple of reasons.  Firstly, it was a mistake to continue going fast after re-entry.  I wanted to see how fast it could cruise.  But it was already baked from the re-entry.  I was just pulling the throttle levers back to save the 2 Kerbals when it was curtains for them.  Pilot error.

Secondly, it goes so fast at 22km that I had just taken it up to 22.5 to begin to combat heat.  But it really needs to cruise somewhere even a bit higher and I haven't explored that territory yet.

The radiators it has are actually on it for the very long single NERV burns it will have to do for interplanetary transfer insertions.  Haven't gone anywhere yet other than Minmus and Mun but I can see it coming.  I actually pulled back on the OX onboard for orbiting to make more capacity for LF for the long-haul since that will be what the NERV burns.

I'll be posting this ship to KerbalX in about 10 days.

Edited by Hotel26

2 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

Can't stop you, but would prefer you not repost my design.

It's 2 crew and 4 pax and I regard it as quite different now -- however, I'll download yours and compare.  Even then, I WON'T upload simply because you'd prefer I don't.

But instead, what I may be inclined to do after making a comparison, is to post some detailed screenshots -- if you wouldn't mind that.  I'm a big believer in reverse engineering as one learns so much from the insights of others.  For those who are interested, they can download yours directly (Star Ranger) or they can attempt to re-engineer either (of three versions, now) as they like.

Can't say fairer than that??

29 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

It's 2 crew and 4 pax and I regard it as quite different now -- however, I'll download yours and compare.  Even then, I WON'T upload simply because you'd prefer I don't.

But instead, what I may be inclined to do after making a comparison, is to post some detailed screenshots -- if you wouldn't mind that.  I'm a big believer in reverse engineering as one learns so much from the insights of others.  For those who are interested, they can download yours directly (Star Ranger) or they can attempt to re-engineer either (of three versions, now) as they like.

Can't say fairer than that??

I design them with certain parts that I call "EZ-swap" so folks can easily modify for their own mission requirements.  SP-06B is a 2 crew 4 pax base design... if you'd like to post your variant to KerbalX along with a link to the source design that would be fine.  Would probably generate more interest and downloads on the Star Ranger than you not posting it.  So if a link is included to the original SP-06B design then you have my permission to post it.

5 hours ago, XLjedi said:

Would probably generate more interest and downloads on the Star Ranger than you not posting it

Thank you, sir!  That is most gracious and, I think, wise.  Appreciate it.  Most happy to link to your work!

There are those who think that "intellectual property" is anti-competitive and not in the interest of the person who pays for the product, not even when factoring in the effect of competition upon the producers.

In the meantime, it's 3a here and, stewing on this, I got up to build Buccaneer.  Whereas Jolly Roger weighed 53t with 17.1km/sec dV, Buccaneer has only 2 RAPIERs, weighs 35t and has 16.6 km/sec dV.  2 krew/4 pax.

Here it is, Buccaneer:

CA5y78V.png

RKM0JpN.png

Edited by Hotel26

1 hour ago, Hotel26 said:

Thank you, sir!  That is most gracious and, I think, wise.  Appreciate it.  Most happy to link to your work!

There are those who think that "intellectual property" is anti-competitive and not in the interest of the person who pays for the product, not even when factoring in the effect of competition upon the producers.

In the meantime, it's 3a here and, stewing on this, I got up to build Buccaneer.  Whereas Jolly Roger weighed 53t with 17.1km/sec dV, Buccaneer has only 2 RAPIERs, weighs 35t and has 16.6 km/sec dV.  2 krew/4 pax.

Here it is, Buccaneer:

Well, your Bucc is so far removed from any of my designs... 

I see no resemblance at all.  So that one's definitely all yours.  ...and good job!

5 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

...and good job!

Thank you!

It's a third derivative in the sense that I built Buccaneer specifically to avoid IP claims.  :)  And it came out better for my purposes.

I'm going to link to your work, still, because I admire your ingenuity, dedication and attention to detail!  I'm happy to remain in the Little League (minimalist school), meanwhile.  :)

Have a good day, sir.

Mapping the Moon... poorly.

xXKamTf.png

I actually managed to work out a launch window where I could perform a continuous burn from the pad to trans-lunar injection!  Just blind luck, really, that the Earth's rotation brought Cape Canaveral into alignment with the lunar plane at just the right moment in the Moon's orbit to put it in the right spot for an intercept.  Either way, it's my first moon mission where a parking orbit wasn't needed.

Unfortunately, the AJ10 wouldn't relight for my mid-course correction to set up a polar arrival.  I had enough hydrazine on the upper stage to accomplish most of that maneuver on RCS, but I had been relying on that engine for the capture burn.  I had some RCS on the mapping probe, but I knew it wouldn't provide the 700 or so m/sec I was going to need to get the orbit I wanted.  But could I get just an orbit?

18bZi8R.png

I could!  It's not even close to the right orbit, but it's getting me some data.  I should be able to get the equatorial and mid-latitude regions charted in reasonable detail.  I'll still have to send another mapping probe to get the polar regions, though.

I reserved enough RCS on the upper stage to smash it into the lunar surface, satisfying an Impact the Moon contract, as well.  Serves it right,  too!  So, not a total failure of the mission.

Meanwhile, I've completed my Mercury'ish program with a seven-day orbital duration accomplishment.  The capsule batteries weren't going to cut it, but I had some new solar panels to play with  They weren't sufficient to power the entire spacecraft, but were good enough to reduce the battery drain to a slow trickle.

GR1qgR8.png

I've also hired a new class of astronauts as a couple of my current ones have announced plans to retire.  The veterans that are sticking around and all the new guys are in Gemini school, learning how to operate the new spacecraft that I hope to fly next year.

Edit: And I just slapped this test article together for a form-fit check...

6WsDByH.png

Yes, I did design the launch vehicle with Gemini's adapter module diameter in mind. 

Edited by RoboRay

Finished my first ever trip to Moho SOI a few moments ago.

Gained about 1000 science before ultimately crashing the drone into the surface.  Moho and Duna, at least on the most basic level, have been crossed off my to do list, although, I'd still like to do basic gathering of data around Ike as well.  Next up will be manned missions, resource scanners, ore drillers, fuel tankers, etc.

nnjIxht.png

12 hours ago, Stunkfish said:

This thing is doing very well on Minmus and I think, if you don't fill the ore tanks completely (it has lots of ore tanks), should work well on mun as well.

On Minmus, I can pick up a full load 2 to 3 times to my space station (refinery) without refilling the fuel tanks.

oIsWfkr.png

Yah, my LV-N miner is probably going to end up on Minmus once the newer miner is up. Speaking of which:

DIcATmU.jpg

I figure a 400m/s dV loss over the LV-N design is a suitable tradeoff for 250% more munar TWR and ~20% more cargo (assuming I did my percentages correctly). Its only about 600 to the initial low parking orbit, and about 70 more to the station, so I figure 835 for fully loaded lifts from the surface is viable. Base design is roughly the same, but the execution of the design is different. The core girder is now the main fuel tank, the main engines are swapped for Cheetahs with 4 Terriers hidden under the combi-drills for extra thrust; Was going to use Spark engines, but I checked the Terriers and the ISP and thrust advantage they had offset the weight penalty almost perfectly (only cost about 2m/s dV). The white tanks add more ore capacity, and I swapped the 8 radiators for 2 bigger ones. Same core-heat capacity, and 40kg less weight. Hey, every little bit helps. Had to swap the legs as the previous legs werent long enough.

Well i sorta ressurected a very very old ship, probably my absolutely most pretty and detailed ship ever made that happens to be a SSTO.

KXSA1zm.png

EVb0Lxu.png

GgVSBEf.png

I made a few modernised ones with MK-2 bays instead of the monstrous double MK-3, but everything pales to the old one's interior which is just phenomenal and really brings back memories of the old days when i actually had hours upon hours to spend on KSP and could make crazy insane stuff like this thing :)...

Qz8WwpD.png

QmbXdav.png

LHv3VIp.png

kRo5Hkr.png

7DdpKWB.png

r7HjqMV.png

WKI2yXZ.png

zm1oXPx.png

mPBhx3g.png

Yeah, i nolonger have the time to make such monstrosities, but it was such a nice ship, full decked out internals, very good replica all things considered, SSTO capable on kerbin (which is all thanks to KSP bugs that let bomb bays occlude everything inside them when closed), and just plain awesomeness.  Now if only i could do something about the 500+ parts that make this thing fly...

iMMb6gL.jpg

V2 is on-station and happily digging away. V1 I need to refuel then send out to Minmus... if the transfer window is even open at the moment. Set the reactors on v1 to their lowest power state, then let it float out around Minmus while I get around to shoehorning up another 3 mil in hardware.