What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

8 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

What’s the big red bullseye from?

It's an toggleable option in KER to show the projected landing spot based on your velocity vector. It's great on final descent to make sure you aren't coming down on something or in the case here where I'm hovering around the base it will slide ahead of your craft to help judge horizontal velocity. I added it to one of the HUD displays I use so I can toggle off/on on screen without digging through menus.

2 hours ago, capi3101 said:

It's included in the latest version of KER. Kinda handy, actually. You can toggle it on and off too, which is a nice touch. 

I was wondering where that came from.  It's been bugging me, not sure I like it.  At least now I know where to look for the switch.

I think it is time for me to finally create a long overdue sandbox save, where I do nothing but build and test craft for future use in other saves.  Many days/nights, my KSP time is limited, and I often get frustrated when I only have 2-3 hours of time available, and, I build a craft that doesn't work as I expected and essentially spend 3 hours having to revert back to my original save.  Time to come up with a better system, build some career save craft as well as some sandbox save craft.

I built this plane on KSP today using some mods, I might not be releasing it though.

Here are the images:

uuAGUnM.png
WOMxuDv.png
imECDHA.png
5vbbIBt.png
ssJ3xg7.png
P8d3H5y.png
I based this build off of this:

flyingreactor_drawing.jpg

The pitch movement is a bit wonky, but everything else is fine, at least if flies! :D

The mods used are

Eskandre Heavy Industries: Thermonuclear Turbines = Engines.

AirplanePlus = Cockpit, Air Intakes, Landing Gear.

Procedural Wings = Wings, Tailfins.

TweakScale = Some shrunken down parts on the plane.

PS: Yes some of these mods say are only compatible with one version, but these mods somehow worked just fine to me.

Edited by Audiobotguy03
I forgot to list a mod.

I started off my day by rescuing Money Kerman from LKO.  Unfortunately, Money was only worth ~30k funds.

we9AG70.png?2

Then I placed a small remote rover in the Mun polar crater for a contract

0GNWeyt.png?2

Finally, my Eve probes arrived.  First came the Eve Pioneer in a near polar orbit

HWj0cH7.png?2

Then My Vorona-Formalhauf arrived in orbit & the lander was dropped.  My heat shield was down to just over 1 unit of ablator when the flames stopped

xeyDtz9.png?2

Nice sunny Eve day

70roGEA.png?2

The highlands where it landed are high enough to be in the EVE cloud layer, which made for a view:

LhLckOn.png?2

Yesterday began with the rescue of engineer Julfry Kerman over Mun. Jeb maneuvered the ferry ship Strange Cargo to a successful rendezvous while awaiting the arrival of some infrastructure so that his passengers could visit the Munar surface; since he wasn't full up, picking Julfry up was a fairly trivial matter.

A modified Boop Boop 7 probe - dubbed Minmus Baker - arrived at Minmus and was able to burn almost right into its target contract orbit. The craft had to reverse the direction of its orbit, and while it was still suborbital I ran a parts test on a RoveMate Model 2 that the probe happened to be carrying along for contract. Two Minmus contracts in one stone - not a bad thing at all. The scanning probe Minmus Charlie also arrived at Minmus yesterday in a polar orbit; from the ore readouts, it looks like I will once again be eventually carrying on Minmus drilling operations in the Great Flats.

Kerbincomm Golf, the carrier relay probe of the outer edge of my Kerbin communications network, arrived successfully in an 60,540.3 km equatorial orbit (an orbital period of exactly 74 Kerbin days). The tag along relay probes Kerbincomm Hotel and Kerbincomm India were decoupled from Kerbincomm Golf and sent towards their target orbits for deployment. Owing to a miscalculation though, Kerbincomm India's higher orbit did wind up taking it on a course out of Kerbin's SOI, so I reluctantly lowered its orbit to match Kerbincomm Hotel's. It will be 49 days before Kerbincomm Hotel reaches its final orbital position, and now 98 days before Kerbincomm India reaches its; I had hoped to have the network fully deployed and in place before the first Duna window...

Next Objective arrived at Minmus as well; like Jeb, Val and her tourists are going to have to wait for the necessary infrastructure to arrive before they can begin visiting the surface.

But by far the biggest thing that happened yesterday was Bob's triumphant return to Minmus aboard his Fireball 7e lander to finish cleaning the place out of science. He arrived with a fair amount of gas in his transfer stage and so I decided to try to keep the thing as long as I could. Owing to a botched initial landing in the Great Flats, however...well......

O7kAxsF.png
Bob totally nails the Water Bottle Challenge. That's still a thing, right?

The craft did survive the loss of the transfer stage's engine and went on to affect a completely successful mission (I was even able to upright the transfer stage though SAS was doing a good job of holding it in place), hitting all nine of Minmus's biomes to get mainly gravioli and barometric readings, and also taking high and low gravioli readings from all nine biomes as well before returning successfully to Kerbin. 

kpp92Nm.png
Fireball 7e at splashdown. Bob looks like a right smug jerk...

The mission yielded up 3,335 science. Combined with his and scientist Antrey Kerman's earlier missions to Mun and Minmus, this was enough for me to unlock all but five nodes of the tech tree: Experimental Aerodynamics, High-Performance Fuel Systems, Nanolathing, Nuclear Propulsion and Ion Propulsion. Another 2500 sci and the tree's finished. I calculated this morning that gravioli readings from Mun alone would net me 1700 sci, so to that end I sent Bob back there earlier this morning in a stripped down orbital-only Fireball - dubbed Furball 7 - to do that. Another two biomes worth of full sci should get me another 640 and I've got enough as it is to cover the remainder; I'll probably send Antrey back to do the ground work later today.

Last thing that happened yesterday - with most of the nodes unlocked, I launched what will become the Munport space station towards Mun, with scientist Lemgun Kerman in command. I have space station contracts for all three bodies in Kerbin's SOI, so similar missions will likely take place later today.

On 9/23/2018 at 10:48 AM, djr5899 said:

Last night, I learned that if KSP was a physical, touchable object, I prolly would have smashed it into 1000 tiny little pieces in a fit of rage.

Simple landing on Minmus, which I have done 100's of times at this point, and yet, I have never seen a relatively simple craft react the way my ship did.  I had landing on a flat surface under 1.5 m/s and down to centimeter distance from the surface, and yet, every time I touched the surface my craft bounced.  No, not just a tiny bit.  By one recollection of mine, one attempt bounced back up as high as 80m off the surface.  Must have taken me about 15 attempts to get the craft landed and the one that successful was surely just dumb luck, as I did nothing different than the other 14 attempts.

Here is the craft in question (I don't think the landing gear are down yet in this shot):

8y7B2EV.png

In other less stressful events, I decided on a whim that it was time to try sending craft to another system I have yet to visit (having recently crossed off Duna and Moho from my list).  I randomly picked Jool, since it has lots of possible bodies to visit, and, by plain dumb luck, it was sitting right in a prime transfer window spot.  I built myself a nice little drone craft with a splattering of science equipment.  Threw 3 proton engines on there for efficiency (never used them much before) and I was off.  Again, by nothing buy dumb luck, I managed to get an encounter with Jool about 380 days out.  I didn't see any assists from the Mun or Minmus in getting (what is to me) a good intercept date.  And, I figured, what's better than 1 probe than 3 probes.  So, I lauched 2 more probes of the same kind afterward.  Reason I thought first intercept was so good was the next two have encounter dates almost a full year after Probe 1.  My two concerns with these probes, being that I have never been to Jool, is with such weak engines, figuring out when I need to start burning retrograde to get captured in Jool orbit.  I have over 8000 dV.  Hope it is enough.  2nd concern is, if I will still have full control of the craft when they get there.  I only have one Communotron 88 on them.  By my calculations, it should still be able to communicate, but might not have enough to perform all maneuvers.  I guess we shall see.....or I may launch some additional relays to try and help out.

Aside from the glitchy Minmus landings, really starting to enjoy the game now that I have figured out a bit more how to start reaching systems outside of Kerbin SOI.

ZTdxLHM.png

Did some testing last night with my craft on the way to Moho.  Results are varied.  Looks like I will have enough Com signal strength to communicate and control the craft, but, for a probe this small, what I am sorely lacking is electric power and electric regeneration.  I have plenty of Xenon fuel for the Ion engines, but, I can only run my engines for maybe 30-45 seconds before draining all the juice in the batteries.  Craft is moving along at a little over 6000 m/s, so I am going to have to do a lot of finangling to try and get it to slow down and get captured by anything in Jool's system.  But, this is career game (still have about 10 techs yet to unlock) and my first time really playing with Ion engines, so, I'm happy with the result and what I have learned for next time.

I released a bug fix for Kerbal Flying Saucers; flying on airless moons and light gravity worlds are working again. :)

SoGaJYU.png

N0tajbI.png

US06LMh.png

I discovered that on airless worlds, the moment you lift off you're considered to be sub-orbital, but on worlds with atmospheres, you are considered to be flying. So I adjusted Crazy Mode to work while both flying and while sub-orbital. For the curious, in the lore of KFS, Crazy Mode is the precursor to warp drive. It lets you fly the saucer around the skies like a classic flying saucer but without using any velocity- you warp around, kind of like using Vessel Mover. :)

I played some 2.5x GPP science, even streamed it. Everything went well (as I packed more than enough food this time (Snacks! by Angel-125) unlike the first time). I could've done a biome hop or two but I'm new to non-sandbox stuff and I have no sense of scale with dV above stock scale.:P

The ship could do with much better solar panels and a little more LFO in the stage with the expendable adapter tanks.

Honeyview_screenshot664.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

I got to play in my career game this evening, and recycled some old satellites and a spent booster stage. Then I parked my recycling ship back at Skybase. The station is definitely filling out:

ss5RhG3.png

Here you can see the drydock additions to the station and the rocket saucer parked at the end. I have plenty of resources available now to expand the station even more. Almost done with cleaning up Low Kerbin Orbi. :)

Screenie-less day today y'all, sorry. I was largely dealing with Bob's flight aboard the Furball 7 orbital gravioli detection craft, gathering gravioli readings from the space over Mun; he finished taking readings from all seventeen Mun biomes in high space, and is still working on gathering readings from low space this morning. In the meantime, I launched a Hellhound 7 rover towards Mun to put some infrastructure in the area for a ground contract there; it arrived in a 10k equatorial orbit and is awaiting final landing operations in the target zone. An Old Bessie 7 tanker lander and a Spamcan 7 RCS 2-passenger lander were launched towards Minmus; both arrived and have entered Minmus orbit, with the Old Bessie docking and refueling Next Objective earlier this morning. The Spamcan will rendezvous with Next Objective later on today, at which time Val and passenger Sanrim Kerman will make their way to the surface for some sightseeing. Space Station Munport arrived in a 15x15 equatorial orbit over Mun and Strange Cargo affected a rendezvous and docking; SC is awaiting some infrastructure so landing operations can commence. Finally, I designed the Fireball 7d science lander - a Fireball 7e with a Materials Bay slapped on it, and yes the series designations are backwards - and launched one to Mun with scientist Antrey Kerman aboard. Antrey arrived at Mun and took surface readings at the East Farside Crater and Farside Basin before returning to Kerbin. Her mission goal was 640 science; she came back with 1,173 - nearly twice that - so I would say her mission was an unqualified success.

Later today, I've got Val's landing ahead, Bob's continuing his science mission with eight biomes to go (Canyons, both basins and five of the major craters), and I'm hoping to get a lander out to Mun so Jeb and his bunch can start their sightseeing. Money's got me a tad concerned right now.