What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

After an 8 year, 111 day flight, a small space station that launched on (at the time) the most powerful rocket I had ever built rendezvoused with an asteroid with the longest period I've found so far.

Fa0SV3q.png

This is the first site.

Kwmepzr.png

Separating from the drive section, with almost no fuel left over.

ho2hSyU.png

Closing.

tpVMs4Y.png

Mine section attached.

xgrrNHH.png

It's just D-Class rock.

VhErF3y.png

A scientist taking a sample.

uQCA9cS.png

Here is the orbit. I don't plan to ever recover the 5 Kerbal crew.

[RSS/RO] Little tribute to Robert H. Goddard, and to its creation: "Nell" the first liquid fueled rocket. As he worked like a bat (hanging on the ceiling), he designed it with the engine above the tanks... He launched it on March 16, 1926, from Massachusetts. " Its 10-foot (3.0 m) cylinder reached an altitude of 41 feet (12 m), flew for two-and-a-half seconds, and fell to the ground 184 feet (56 m) from the launching frame " But a bit more here hehe, since I use aerobee, and don't have such as bad engine as he had= making configs! :)

clLwn93.jpg

Goddard standing near Nell, just before ignition (he stayed here during it, well, because he's a Kerbal, and Consequently, he's crazy ) . :sticktongue:

ObyTe7r.png

FIRE!!!

hVBWzzp.png

Direction: the Moon! eeeuh, no.

pFFkRnl.png

Just a little jump over Earth surface, then 0.0001 sec before boom, and...

Aje8yJt.png

... boom.

bRPSZWL.png

Flight sucess!

hSUyogF.png

A 1926 paper said about this : " A lunar rocket misses its target of 384,400 km ! " :D

I experimented with a remote science station in a box last night.  I was inspired reading about the Apollo ALSEP experiments.  Only tested at KSC so far:

Slapped a rover together to transport an engineer & the storage box

ELGNDbI.png?2

Assembling the station

qP1Ystm.png?2

Finished product

JXffGOY.png?2

Started a new career with OPM installed, and after a few attempts at orbital, which succeeded, I have made the SP1 and SP2

EE97qIv.png?1

The SP1 was the first of the two, having a cruising speed of 135 m/s at 7km altitude, it almost has the potential to circumnavigate the planet.

5ca6RaM.jpg

The SP2 is an improvement upon the SP1, boasting a fuel reserve more than doubled, twin engines to handle the increased weight, and larger wings to increase lift, it has almost the same performance as the SP1 while having a range of ~4600km on a single tank.  

Both aircraft are STOLs with a takeoff speed of the SP1 of ~35 m/s and the SP2 having a takeoff speed of ~45 m/s.

Post circumnavigation: Performance of SP2 improves as more fuel is used, resulting in a takeoff speed of 35 m/s when low on fuel, and range estimates are also brought up to 6000km on a single tank

Edited by Itsdavyjones
More data

pLVPUu2.jpg

The SP3 is a farther evolution of the SP2, featuring retractable landing gears and another fuel tank in the rear to balance out the need for a crew cabin for easier access to the ground.  Larger wings allow for it to retain its low takeoff speed, clocking in at ~40 m/s fully loaded.

My Duna Courier returned home from Duna, and since I had a "return to Kerbin from fly-by of Duna" contract still and had access to better parts, I decided to launch a heat shield & parachute assembly, dock with it, and land the entire Duna Courier.  For added safety, I moved the RTG's up to the cupola module & set an explosive charge to blow off everything below the drone core just in case.

Beginning of reentry

zlWmNYO.png?2

Started getting sideways as I was coming through ~35 km but I was already slowed enough that nothing started to overheat.  I had the mouse over the "Detonate" button on the emergency explosive the whole time though.

TntEo6s.png?2

The heat shield took off a few pieces when it was jettisoned, but nothing important.  For a few seconds, I thought it was going to sit upright in the water, but it floated up & tipped.  Recovered for ~1400 science and a sizable chunk of the original vessel cost as it was just before the small peninsula east of KSC

JEnO9cj.png?2

My nearly doomed (but saved!) Dres manned pioneer mission finally made it there. Jeb, Bob, and Bill made some footprints, planted a flag, and collected some science.

D8B64959D328A59BF5B9F588FC851B7F7911456F

32B751E5F5239074A8B9EB0E7E035ED6E1F0748A

The lander was designed for Duna. I didn't feel like making a new lander for Dres so, I sent this 2 stage thing. It turns out the spare fuel and more efficient engine it has will save the crew from running out of fuel. Laziness sometimes pays off.

I then (because I was forced to use vacation days or lose them) obsessed over making a ridiculous SSTO that's basically a flying station. It has 4.6km/s dV, space for 20 crew, 5 years of supplies for a crew of 3, a removable front section with 1.7km/s dV and landing legs, a cargo hold with a returnable science drone, a mass over 200t, and a 200+ part count. Did I mention it was ridiculous? Here it is launching away from the sunset.

DD8B584D8F15ED8C803C769CCECCDA4B4F085A00

And the underside.

C019EFD263D426F48E58412B224DB1E986820659

I might call it the "Nurnie" because it's a bit greebly. It flies ok as long as you don't get rough with it (or breath too hard on the controls). Its first test flight went to a 84km orbit and back. Landing was more like falling out of the sky in a (somewhat) controlled manner. But, in the end, it touched down and stopped(the important part) on the runway with all of its' bits intacted.

The world's largest rocket (this year, anyway) lifts a moon-bound propulsion module into low Earth orbit.

My workhorse lifter for the past several years has a pair of H-1 motors in the core stage.  This model features nine of them.  I really need some more powerful engines.  The lab geeks are close to a technology break-through, they tell me.

jJFFEU6.png

The cryogenic second stage is propelled by three LR87s modified to burn liquid hydrogen with LOX.

974WEwL.png

0vD0P7n.png

The third stage is the LR91 upper stage that I've been flying for years...  it's become quite reliable by now.

fuyjl56.png

As the unmanned spacecraft circularizes, the crew roars into the fading sky behind it:

blwYfbg.png

I'll need to fly a slightly dog-legged ascent to match planes with the previous launch.

yTZIQOK.png

htXl3GL.png

7objaix.png

L9BeOHD.png

Halfway through Translunar Injection, the crew set a new speed record for the fastest people ever.

yaFz8ox.png

UOSzv9N.png

Ray goes on EVA to inspect the engines.  There are no signs of cracking, nozzle erosion, leaking propellant, or anything else that would prevent the engines from firing again to capture the spacecraft into lunar orbit.

But that's for the next mission.  This is just a flyby to verify that such a mission would be reasonably safe.

6wv5Hyo.png

zl0UWKh.png

Jo gets to spacewalk too, with a view of lunar farside that until now had been seen only in photographs.

6LsL0WJ.png

DOk8v7p.png

BW54UOk.png

A0ntdyM.png

aW9Jo6i.png

arygmWD.png

A direct landing would put the crew in central Africa at sunset.  A skip-reentry is performed to make one more lap around the planet, instead.

qXAxdhc.png

The next pass brings them over the Rocky Mountains and down to Kansas.

f0F4wd5.png

Edited by RoboRay

After spending about 2 weeks tweaking and fixing, and downloading... I finally (mostly) finished my install. At the very least I finished updating parts no longer available by this community, some since 0.23.5, and of my own creations (such as the Kaliaguine nuclear reactor) .
Only missing TweakScale, Fueltank plus and Necrobone's ModularRocketSystem... but the main core is all there and functional.
The only part I lost this version is NearFutureSolar's curved solar panels.  If the game loads the model it crashes on startup.  If I remove it, it works. 

V91Ake9.png

Then I spent the 2 last evening (ie: about 4 hours) finishing my Laythe Seaplane.  At first it could land in water, but not take off.  I added a few fins to the undercarriage floaters and now it easily takes off from Kerbin.
Since I love just going places and wasting time, I spend the majority of today flying and cruising on the seas to test landings/takeoffs

SuDg3FI.jpg

It can even dip under the sea, but the buoyancy is all messed up.  I was able to make 19 knots submerged, but as soon as I touch the controls the plane surfaces uncontrollably.
Unfortunately, I couldn't be convinced to wait 10 minutes (1 meter per second dive speed) to reach the bottom and (maybe) see corals and other stuff. So I took this bland screenie
( We clearly see the winglets  into the down position... they go to the UP position for water takeoffs )

Hiyygz5.png

I then decided to try a dry landing somewhere I haven't been in a long time, lined-up, and Landed :
SuW10iQ.jpg

Vx1bMCI.jpg

Nothing special, but since I am planning my next career to be executed with a different rover/plane each body I land onto for variety, happy the Laythe plane is done.
I suspect getting it to Laythe will painful, but I have a plan.  It might even fit into the largest fairings as I aimed for a small one this time instead of a quad-motor monstrosity I had made in KSP1.2.2. 
Now if I could just get Galileo to recreate Laythe's clouds of v1.1.3 I'll be ready to go there.

Not sure what I'll do next.  Perhaps a "Duna Hopper"  with engines, mining rig, and lots of parachutes.  Yeah that sounds interesting.
I've said so last week or so... but It's fun to be back.  I had forgotten how fun it is to waste one's afternoon just flying planes and messing around. :) 

Edited by Francois424

Today I was playing around with huge stations that can be used to "colonize" other planets. With @Gameslinx's Planet Overhaul I have more than enough possible destinations. 
I was quite surprised by that it can be launched by strapping 2 booster engines to it in one piece. The launch went well, considering that the station is almost 100m long and aerodynamic as brick.
Then I had to decide how to fuel it, because it couldn't be launched full of fuel and other materials. I went with launching a bunch of ore, then refining it with station's 4 converters, it can process 9000 ore per hour with level 5 engineer.
Still it will be a lot of launches to fully fuel it...

cMHg1FG.png

Oz4XdzH.png

Also I tried docking with my Magni spaceplane for the first time, nothing exciting here.

And because the ore tanker was launched using one of my Silverbird-class SSTOs I had to land the booster. And what other location to land it at than right next to another used and landed booster from previous mission.

wobZtAX.png

Silverbird sitting around 300m away from Falcon 9 replica booster
Video available here:

Sooooo... this was basically my day in KSP
(All done while listening to some high quality metal music)

Edited by Raptor42

On 10/4/2018 at 8:02 PM, Tyko said:

First crewed mission of new capsule - it's designed in the style of Soyuz with a cramped return vehicle and an added orbital module with extra crew space. 20% science continues to be a challenge, but I keep barely scraping by with enough science to continue. The biggest change is that sometimes I have to wait a few months for another mission to complete so I can gather enough science for my next goal. (GPP 2.5x 20% Science)

Mission: launch first crew on new 2 crew capsule and dock with unmanned 2 crew test vehicle sent up previously. Live in space for 12 days and safely return. 

uOhcnRl.jpg

m3NFmFj.jpg

CnvnQSj.jpg

FZVW3G1.jpg

sK4dzKI.jpg

How did you get those last names for kerbals, is there a mod for this, or did you just change those names in configs?

Edited by Raptor42