What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

After recycling more space junk, I created some new docking tubes and installed them:

2AQ2eBi.png

sUpqWWY.png

You can see the conventionally powered Flapjack in the background. I haven't unlocked the gravitic engine parts yet. Station expansion continues...

Edited by Angel-125

6 hours ago, Raptor42 said:

How did you get those last names for kerbals, is there a mod for this, or did you just change those names in configs?

I'm using Galileo's Planet Pack which includes a renamer.dll    I edited the config file with a whole bunch of extra last names I made up.

You're welcome to use them. I Kerbalized names drawn from various cultures to give it a move global feel. I'm sure I didn't get every culture and I sincerely hope I didn't manage to create an offensive word in one of those languages :/  

LASTNAME1
    {
      key = Gaelan
      key = Kerman
      key = Kerbowitz
      key = Gaelovsky
      key = O'Gael
      key = Kermanov
      key = Nakermana
      key = Kerbsson
      key = Arkerbeault
      key = Gaezalez
      key = Agealwal
      key = Rokerbson
      key = Erdogaen
      key = Keragzai
      key = Ghaennam
    }

Edited by Tyko

Just wrapped another 2h session where I finished my "Duna Hopper" mentioned in my other posting.
I didn't take many screenshots, as it was mostly a test (I'm reverting when done), but...

vfk9Ipv.png
The 4 Radial drogue chutes + a MK25 drogue chute + 8 Mk2R-Radial mount chutes slowed my decent down to 22 m/s.  I had forgotten a battery, but kept engine running at 10% to provide power (4x FTmN60's)

XnoRf0h.png
I had to bring the engines to 75%-ish power and managed a smooth landing around 6 m/s in the Midland Sea... Touchdown !   Man reverting this is tough -- I love Duna !!!

A few small fixes are required once I revert to the VAB, but otherwise nailed everything from the get go. 
So the "Duna Hopper" also has :
 -
A big convert-o-tron,
 - 2 large drills,
 - 4 Gigantors,
 - 4 of my radiators (each has about the cooling capacity of 1.5 medium stock radiator),
 - Room for 3 kerbals (Used stock pod... fit really well with the design I found), so pilot, engineer(drilling/converting), and Scientist to reset experiments
 - A 2,5m storage compartment with all science experiments and 2x 50 monoprop containers.  I tucked a Science box in there as well for collecting the science; faster that way.
 - 2,5m docking port on the bottom (hence needing monoprop) to redock in orbit on the return trip (fuel is very much to the liter, I better not screw up)
 - A few lights and RCS ports.

I still need to add a big generator (or 2 small, I'll check the weight and pick the better option), a 3k electric charge battery, and fix an engine staging issue but otherwise this craft is ready as well.
I loved using those Russian boosters on the side, very close to how I used to build with tweakscale and other mods back in 1.0.5, and this kinda look like the craft from "The Martian" but I didn't specifically try to reproduce it.

I love it when everything works !
Good job on that Duna atmosphere, I landed in a Dust storm too.  Beautiful !

Edited by Francois424

Sometimes, I despise my obsession with efficiency.

I had a rescue contract and two recover part contracts. I looked on the roster: "Oh, he's an engineer. He can screw the parts to the ship; all I'll need is a small craft with a pilot to bring the screwdriver."

Now, ladies and gentlemen, let me present you with a sanity test:

7d9Gp67.png

Can you guess which parts of the craft were not present at launch?

That's right, the LES and the gigantic turbofan engine.

And I had to land with these.

It was successful, but poor Ribfen had to jump out of the pod while it was still in the air and switch some parts around to balance the weight.

Edited by GearsNSuch

Today I played the 'To the Mün Part 1' training in the demo version. I got it done first try and was tempted to try landing afterwards, but I didn't want to risk it. I'd feel bad if I went and killed Jebediah after such a successful Mün encounter and orbit!

I finished building the Density Lab in Skybase's drydock and installed it:

SthWjwt.png

9YlTw2u.png

Then I detached the drydock section, flipped the station around, and docked it on the front:

vTUWP0p.png

LBL665h.png

This is temporary until I build Skybase's new tank farm and attach it to the aft of the Bigby Orbital Workshop. Once that's done, I can move the drydock to the aft of the station. The forward node with its outrigger tanks will stay where it is, and the outrigger tanks will get recycled in preparation for the next expansion phase.

There wasn't much going on in my game recently - pretty much everything was either en-route to their destination, or en-route back home. Today, one of my exploration missions has finally returned home. And, they've picked quite a nice moment for landing too.

mc95b789685mdp1zg.jpg

Almost full Kerbol eclipse!

2 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

@RoboRay Love that white Gemini. :cool: Why no nose-to-nose docking like the original?

That's the backup plan, in case they can't manage to dock backwards.    Acceleration pulling you back into your seat is more comfortable than getting pulled out of your seat, so they try it backwards first.  :)

The nose docking port will get used in a couple of months, when I put up my first tiny space station. 

A few flights to that station for endurance records should end the Gemini program...  I've got Apollo under construction and crews training for it.  It should be ready to go in about a year.

Edited by RoboRay

22 hours ago, Sharpy said:

I learned how to use the Alcubierre drive (through sandbox). Now just to get it in Career!

Heh... entering the warp is easy. Worse if you exit it at the target... going at some 30km/s

Naw, navigating with thing in career is simple. The tough part is saving up ~√25,000,000 just for one part...

My career is progressing well, with relays & remote landers arriving at all the the Joolian moons except Tylo so far.  My second Duna crew arrived in orbit & landed at a new surface base & rover.  In preparation for an upcoming Jool window, I launched 2 Pumera spaceplanes for Laythe interface.  I remade my pilot reentry pod for them, and both Jeb & Val got to enjoy reentry with nothing but a truss & heatshield around them.

Jeb taking up Pumera #1 with reentry pod riding on its back.

dAYMsxz.png?2

In orbit, transferring to reentry pod.  The drone core can handle the refueling rendezvous & transfer to Jool

ZoBhoSN.png?2

Approaching the great desert & the deorbit burn

HFFE8k0.png?2

A ride only Jeb could smile that much over:

1kkRR0T.png?2

Although Val seemed to enjoy her ride as well, after taking up Pumera #2.  With the heat shield jettisoned, this setup does sort of float - at -2m.  This was actually my first water landing with this thing despite using it multiple times before.  I wasn't actually sure if it would float or not.

H2XmOr1.png?2

3 hours ago, capi3101 said:

Naw, navigating with thing in career is simple. The tough part is saving up ~√25,000,000 just for one part...

Got that covered... tourists to Minmus Station, groups of 12-17, each one paying 7mln for a month stay.

Got funnier once I accepted one of these contracts and realized only after docking to the station they wanted the tour of Minmus BASE. Luckily the base is located at the edge of a huge cliff, and had some spare tunnel endpoints for KAS, so docking and taking off afterwards wasn't hard.

This weekend I finished the design for my moon lander (3.4x stock system rescale). It has enough dV to land on the Mun and enough life support to reach Minmus, a 30 day round trip.

W2tHkMc.jpg

First flight: Mun

leEJtUc.jpg

y5b9tFo.jpg

axpKBIA.jpg

It's always a struggle to integrate a materials bay onto a lander without looking fugly, but I'm pretty happy with how this turned out!

q2NLdgq.jpg

After a few tweaks and adjustments, I sent a second mission for an endurance flight to Minmus.

w6MrvI9.jpg

mby3T4J.jpg

APptisu.jpg

vyGtDtY.jpg

KNsaSWP.jpg

msMKXte.jpg

15 minutes ago, BadOaks said:

always a struggle to integrate a materials bay onto a lander without looking fugly

Exactly my problem with them and the reason I don’t really touch them in career mode. You’ve come up with a nice solution though.. must have very little dV using that command pod and with so few fuel tanks?

Just now, MR L A said:

Exactly my problem with them and the reason I don’t really touch them in career mode. You’ve come up with a nice solution though.. must have very little dV using that command pod and with so few fuel tanks?

It actually does have some decent tankage. That size 2 part below the pod is a fuel tank from STX, and there's another 1.8-to-1.25 adapter tank connecting it to the materials bay. Combine that with SMURFF (lever value of 0.5) and it gets about 2600 m/s of delta V.