What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Surprisingly little actually accomplished over the weekend, and by "surprisingly little", I mean "pretty much nothing". Spent what time I did play in the game fiddling with Pathfinder, trying different out campsite configurations. One thing's for sure - the information on it's wiki is pretty far out of date; it may take a thorough readthrough of its forum thread - all ~90 pages of it - for me to figure out how to make everything work as intended.

Not much has happened this morning either - Necessary Evil finally arrived at space station Kerbinport after an extended visit to Minmus. Her passengers were transferred over to Next Objective for a Mun-bound journey next. Another passenger will be joining that expedition; I'll likely be sending them up later today.

And that's pretty much that.

Edited by capi3101

3 hours ago, RoboRay said:

I was amused by the timing, but I was not amused when the capsule spun around backwards with the LES still firing and flew right through the debris cloud of the shredding rocket, clonking into a detached engine.

Sounds like it’s time to make some upgrades to your abort system, especially if you’ll be carrying that capsule design forward. Fins and a shroud would likely help. :D

This weekend I rebuilt a rocket multiple times without trying to use it because the node system told me I didnt have enough delta v to do my transfer. Finally I just went for the transfer anyway and it was fine. I had 15% fuel remaining after it even though the indicator said I didnt have enough. So, I wasted about 200k credits on a mission that only rewarded me 100k :(

Also, Bob, Jeb and Valentina met their ends before ever getting to the Mun. Bob and Jeb died on the launch pad. Valentina died on reentry when the capsule flipped over and lawn darted into the ground before parachutes could deploy. I need to build a shrine to them.

Edited by ZL647
Typos

27 minutes ago, Inverurie Jones said:

Today I came back after an absence of several months and found all my mods were out of date and my old saves were dead.

There may have been a bit of screaming.

:(

If you’ve got the game on Steam, there’s an option in there to turn off automatic updates. Usually a wise choice with modded installs, since an unwanted upgrade can booger everything up. 

With the update, I had to uninstall all of my mods, and I am finally playing KSP as it was intended, I usually play sandbox, but not this time!.

Probably 1,000 hours of sandbox and less than 200 career.

Not ksp related:

Spoiler

I got my student pilot's license, Time to solo!

45 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Sounds like it’s time to make some upgrades to your abort system, especially if you’ll be carrying that capsule design forward. Fins and a shroud would likely help. :D

Yeah...  it definitely needs re-thinking.  I had done an in-flight abort test in the upper atmosphere and it was OK.  Found out the hard way that it really doesn't work well near Max Q.  :)

Edited by RoboRay

57 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

:(

If you’ve got the game on Steam, there’s an option in there to turn off automatic updates. Usually a wise choice with modded installs, since an unwanted upgrade can booger everything up. 

You can what now

19 minutes ago, Kebab Kerman said:

You can what now

I’m not at home now, so I can’t talk you through it, but you can disable automatic updates in Steam. You can also copy your entire game folder and move it elsewhere to really protect it. I’ve got multiple KSP folders archived going all the way back to .19,  but I bought the game outright as well. 

Poke around in the Steam settings for KSP,  you May find it. 

36 minutes ago, RoboRay said:

Yeah...  it definitely needs re-thinking.  I had done an in-flight abort test in the upper atmosphere and it was OK.  Found out the hard way that it really doesn't work well near Max Q.  :)

I’ve had good luck before using a procedural fairing pointing down on top the capsule, shielding it. Used to be able to attach fins to the fairing sections but dunno anymore. I had a fully working Soyuz abort system analogue at one point. :D

6 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I’m not at home now, so I can’t talk you through it, but you can disable automatic updates in Steam. You can also copy your entire game folder and move it elsewhere to really protect it. I’ve got multiple KSP folders archived going all the way back to .19,  but I bought the game outright as well. 

Poke around in the Steam settings for KSP,  you May find it. 

Thanks, I'll see if I can find in the haystack that is Steam Game Settings

Seriously, it's like trying to find a single tardigrade in an ocean the size of Jupiter. It being the only tardigrade.

Steam settings are cluttered and it makes me sad :(

Edited by Kebab Kerman

1 minute ago, Kebab Kerman said:

Thanks, I'll see if I can find in the haystack that is Steam Game Settings

Seriously, it's like trying to find a single tardigrade in an ocean the size of Jupiter. It being the only tardigrade.

Metaphor is on point. :D Well if you haven’t figured it out in the next like 12 hours or so, I’ll take a look on my install and let you know. 

Someone else might chime in before then, too. 

That tiny, pale-green dot near the center of the picture is Jool.

fad8ie88v6or26yzg.jpg

Almost there...

zl1m9w8dp47yg35zg.jpg

Ready to perform the capture burn...

z14y3orcdg966fpzg.jpg

And at long last, after a long journey that lasted 1 year, 79 days and 2 hours (okay, maybe it wasn't that long of a journey :sticktongue:), the first of the Jool relays has entered its designated orbit...

2zxyqt41wbtoyfqzg.jpg

"This is Jool Relay #1 commanding AI. We can hear you loud and clear, KSC."

Visited a bunch of easter eggs (no spoilers) on kerbin with SP3, which turns out to be the best iteration of the SP series I have made, as it can land on the mountains 5km up and stop fast.

Nx5BEYs.png

Had a few other locations to visit for missions, and one of them was in a valley in mountains, and on the nearby peaks as well.

qhwX0jr.jpg

utNm3bw.png

All in all, only lost one half of a wingtip due to landing on a 45 degree slope for the final destination. Couldn't get a picture of that one as I had to get a crewmember out of the craft that was accelerating downhill and get the mission done before falling/flying off of the cliff face.

Edited by Itsdavyjones

I landed a car with limited VTOL capability on Tylo.

HO0kr9O.png

I ran out of fuel in the descent stage at about 2000 m. Luckily the car itself had its own lift engines. I hit the wrong keys a few times, so I didn't capture the more impressive explosions as the descent stage hit the ground.

WvxVLHI.png

Here it is on the ground. A single Mastodon engine and a few pieces of I beam are all that remain of the descent stage.

cfC9rql.png

In the distance is the home base, itself landed under 100 days ago.

UrhT1FO.png

And here it is docked with the base. The point of the car is to drive to nearby biomes to get more science for the base's four science labs to process.

I did an overhaul of the guidance scripts that control the return of the side cores of my Failcan Heavy, trying to make them easier to understand and use as well as perform better.

Improvements include side core script consolidation, in that now there is just one script that controls either booster given a parameter n=1 or n=2, instead of a separate script for the port and starboard boosters.  I hope to eventually make it so that the parameter is n=1, 2, or 3 and the script controls all 3 cores.  Also, the guidance loops have been changed to focus more on glide, which should give a modest reduction to the amount of fuel needed for the boost-back burn.

But really what this has meant is I've been doing debugging.

Bwdputs.jpg

Lots

APyKzbO.jpg

and lots

GYXEovg.jpg

of debugging

MSdjGCJ.jpg

By the way...

Spoiler

KGkFBsM.jpg

Did I mention there was debugging?

l6S0tFB.jpg

Still not finished with that...  Hopefully will have a landing tomorrow.

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

I reinstalled KSP yesterday, and built this!

R2waul9.png

It has seven Goliaths, 4 NK-12's, and 4 wheesleys, and it barely gets off the ground. I bet it needs more lift...

On an unrelated note, last night, I figured out why my graphics are absolute rubbish.

I have Intel. INTEL.

I embarked on an epic early career rescue mission last night. 4 contracts, 4 kerbals in munar orbit, 2 prograde very low orbits, 2 retrograde very high orbits.

The mission was going well, nearly 'landed' (crashed) into the moon on one encounter but with a sub 10,000m ap and pe rescue that was to be expected.

So Ive loaded all four stranded kerbals aboard my ship, get myself into a nice aerobraking maneuver around 45,000m kerbin pe, at this point im confident the mission will be a success, I mean who wouldn't!

Ah but this is kerbal remember! I'm watching my ap drop nicely and switch to the ship view in preparation of deploying my chutes ..... oh crap, I forgot to put chutes on my return pod!

I should know better.

RIP brave kerbals :(