What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

(1.4.5) Another no screenie day - sorry, y'all.

Once again, I spent yesterday working at the Boot Hill outpost on Mun and the Deepwater Horizon refinery outpost on Minmus. Since both bases can now function as remote launch sites, I began my day with the design of the TestCan 7, which is basically a craft designed to put a Swivel engine in a high orbit of Minmus for parts testing; the idea is to launch it from DH, have it do the contract, then return to DH for parts recycling. The remaining three kerbal staff at DH began fabrication of the craft, giving me a seven day estimate to completion. Construction of a new orbital science station for Mun was concurrently ordered up at Boot Hill after I had two new Pathfinder upChuckwagons printed up to hold moar RocketParts; the whole station will be ready to go in six days. I'm concerned about being able to continue operations at Boot Hill after the station launches; there are only four kerbals there in the first place and it'll take at least one of them to operate the new station. 

Boot Hill finally got to the point where it had printed up enough Equipment to deploy its Pipeline mass driver and the first payload shots to space station Munport took place. I learned quickly that you need to make sure all the tanks are unlocked at the target site if you don't want to waste your resources. The Glass Cannon 7 orbital mass driver craft arrived and docked at space station Minmusport, and then mass driver shots took place from DH to Minmusport. At this point, aside from there still being no ore at Minmusport, both stations are completely full on resources. I've eliminated the need for my Old Bessie 7 craft to make fuel supply runs for the stations, but as I pointed out to my son last night, I could still use them for emergency refueling in orbit and as extra storage, so there's no plans to get rid of them in the near future.

Work continued at the Deepwater Horizon South Annex outpost on Minmus. Engineer Haibur Kerman with the assistance of scientist Barley Kerman continued to expand the outpost, adding a Pathfinder Nukeworks as well as the upChuckwagons needed to handle uraninite processing; with the outpost now running on fission power, most of the solar arrays were dismantled. The wheels were also removed from the Gigalo 7 supply rover attached to the outpost and recycled. Finally, an ISRU unit was printed up for the outpost - the last item it needs for its expansion contract, though it took the better part of a Minmus bol to get it done. At this point I need to get it attached to the exterior of the outpost, but an ISRU weighs close to five tonnes; I don't have enough staff on Minmus to do the job, at least not without having to cease operations at DH first. I'm debating as to whether or not I want to do that or just have Haibur and Barley return for now and try again once a few of the incoming colonists have been retrained in a few weeks time.

Other things that happened included a few scientific surveys at DH, the safe landing of an Auk II 8-passenger spaceplane at KSC 09 from space station Kerbinport, and the successful recovery of the module that delivered the Glass Cannon mass driver section to Minmusport. I also designed the McFeely 7, designed for speedy deliveries of science experiments from Kerbin's moons back to Kerbin. It's basically the formalized version of the probe I had engineer Naford Kerman at Boot Hill print up and assemble last week, except this time I remembered the stack decoupler...

Coming up, Next Objective is roughly an hour away from Minmus's SOI, with plans to dock to Minmusport upon her arrival. Five of her passengers will be making their way to the surface; all but one of them are scheduled for an extended stay at DH. Right now the biggest lander at Minmus can haul two passengers at once; there is a plan in the works to print up a new lander with higher passenger capacity at both moons, but the new lander won't be ready before Next Objective arrives, so I'll probably just do things the old fashioned way. Looking forward to putting a craft down at Deepwater Horizon's landing pad; that'll probably look awesome enough for an actual screenshot. Everything else is in a holding pattern until the two outposts finish up their respective print jobs.

Still planning on upgrading to 1.5.x on Thursday, assuming all the mods I use are ready to go by then.

The core of Nautilus (DSEV-3) exited Skybase's drydock this morning:

nacT77C.png

izIzK8w.png

lRmViU4.png

Her sister ship, Protector (DSEV-2) is currently en route to Duna. Over the next few in-game weeks, DSEV-3 will receive her habitation and logistics modules. Nautilus will shuttle crews between Kerbin and Minmus while she waits for the next launch window to Duna

Testing out an HX class warp ship. It's fairly well equipped for life support, through Airline Kuisine and Pathfinder.

GPP is not around this time. The focus is solely on Other Worlds Rebooted by @Pkmniako.

This ship is full of my unreleased additions to the B9 HX mod. Its tanks are full of LH2 and the two modified engines need 5 of the HX reactor (6000 EC/s each) to feed them, and the reactors altogether need 32.5 MW of cooling. The USI warp drives also have double their bubble sizes and the buckboards have USI warp templates. They can hold ExoticMatter with and without Xenon.

F4QExes.jpg

Heat Control has me covered.

yL9dEb9.jpg

I did some experimenting with this large plane meant to fit in the rear hangar. Maybe it's too big and trying to do far more than I'll need it to in the end. It snugly fits that hangar and loses on lift capability and suffers other problems.

pJSxcqk.jpg

D4vqaKx.jpg

I rescued a stranded pilot in LKO. I was going to take some tourists to Minmus, but the maneuver nodes seem broken atm. They say burn time for the node to be 10s, which isn't true, and when I try doing a short burn to get the correct calculation, it switches to n/a. Guess I'm stuck on Kerbin till the devs fix the bug.

So I needed to bring back a bunch of Kerbals from Minmus, with a lander that had touched down there. Contract. This seemed like a good idea at the time. What could possibly go wrong?

QXN9lmk.jpg

The answer, O ye of little faith, is, nothing. Nothing went wrong. Everything went without a hitch.

s6ccxoY.jpg

cJyQVqB.jpg

As anticipated, the glide down to KSC was on the extremely steep side because those craft stuck on the roof do generate a certain amount of drag, but that was not a problem at all, just something to plan for.

I figured it might be a bit tricky to do supersonic flight in that ... thing, so I held a very steep attitude until I was down to Mach 1. After that it was an easy glid down.

4 minutes ago, Cavscout74 said:

I managed my closest to the pad landing ever.  

Betcha the range safety officer was a little excited during that one...

Flipped my my first rocket during launch in long time...  Guess that's what happens when you stick an egg on a straw....

5 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Betcha the range safety officer was a little excited during that one...

Yes he was - especially since I was late on the parachutes & they just barely deployed in time.  Even with chutes, landing speed is a touch high & it's best to give it a little bit of thrust (just tap shift once or twice) right before landing to drop the speed down.  I was so low when the chutes finally deployed, I don't think the engines ran for a full second before the gear hit. 

6 minutes ago, Cavscout74 said:

Even with chutes, landing speed is a touch high & it's best to give it a little bit of thrust

You're telling me!

17 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Flipped my my first rocket during launch in long time...  Guess that's what happens when you stick an egg on a straw....

Second attempt was even better!   Added some more fins to help stabilize.   

WOwPRO2.png

Nope......

Fighting the tumble during launch.  I might make it, all I need is to get to an orbit, I can meet up with the station from there....  And then the part failure mod throws me a curve... Klaxon alarms screaming... I have no orbit sequence since this isn't a manned mission....  Booster goes flying off......

cdyDZTv.png

Ok..... this thing likes to fly backwards.... maybe I can use this....   Chutes deploy on the Tug module, as it's supposed to be recovered... get it vertical... pop the fairings.... pump some fuel around to move the COM...

HpPaHOp.png

Easy Does it.....

CdutCWB.png

Falling over..... don't break.... don't break... don't break........

Woohooo!

vCXVq9Q.png

Got like 75% back on a fairly expensive rocket!

1 minute ago, Gargamel said:

Got like 75% back on a fairly expensive rocket!

I had something similar happen on my Nexus, launching a two piece relay & lander that was intended for Eeloo.  I lost control so bad, somehow I ended up landing on a hill WEST of KSC, tipped over & still got a decent recovery.

Finalized the preps for my next campaign game (science mode)....  Still missing a couple of mods, but those won't be needed for a while, so no biggie.  Just need to find time to write it up and actually get rolling.

dtM2S5n.png

Flying a Minmus landing mission, caught the probe, the Mun, and Kerbin all in one shot...

9 hours ago, DerekL1963 said:

Finalized the preps for my next campaign game (science mode)....  Still missing a couple of mods, but those won't be needed for a while, so no biggie.  Just need to find time to write it up and actually get rolling.

dtM2S5n.png

Flying a Minmus landing mission, caught the probe, the Mun, and Kerbin all in one shot...

Also sending stuff to Minmus at least temporarily. 

An base for Vall. with an Tylo SSTO science lander on top, the hitchhiker is an optional componet and is unlikely will be used with the science module. 
SGjhwXxl.png

Its booster
WhPddPjl.png
Took it to LKO as an unit, finalized burn with the LV-N, added more liquid fuel in LKO, plan of docking with the Vall base in Minmus orbit and drop it down to LKO for the Jool burn together with 4 other ships.
Yes its has an two nuclear stages, the second will fire once the booster is dry, might or might not drop it then braking at Tylo, if enough dV I keep it for later use. 

(1.4.5) Yesterday with Next Objective about to enter Minmus's SOI and the need to ferry a large contingent of tourists down to the Deepwater Horizon refinery base on the surface, I designed up an 8-passenger lander; I went ahead and built it for Mun specifications since I anticipated the need to have one over there as well. The result was a craft I optimistically dubbed the Crater Maker 7:

2ms5ei4.png
When you can launch things remotely and not have to worry about fairings, a whole world of design probabilities opens up. And no tourist would have any doubts about a craft with this name, right?

Engineer Haibur Kerman and Scientist Barley Kerman, having done all they could do to upgrade the Deepwater Horizon South Annex outpost, both jetpacked the five kilometer distance back to DH where their presence rapidly sped up the production of the Test Can 7 part-testing probe being printed there. Where the initial estimated time to completion was thirteen days, Haibur's presence alone sped things up to something more akin to thirteen minutes; the Test Can was ready by the time Barley arrived. After fueling, the Test Can launched, a Crater Maker was ordered up, the Test Can conducted its scheduled parts test for contract, and mad a precision landing attempt at DH.

FJ3hFxP.png

W8tMo1s.png
Musk did it better, but then again he's got a waaaaaaaaaay better KSP build than any of the rest of us...

I discovered that the Pathfinder Rangeland launch pad doesn't handle craft recycling, so after setting down, the Test Can was flown over to the South Annex; I'll figure out how to dismantle it later.

In the wake of the completion of the Test Can's contract, I got a new colonization contract for DH. The six kerbal suckers colonists were loaded aboard an Auk XII 6-passenger spaceplane and flown up to space station Kerbinport.

OEeqMAo.png%20
One of these days I really oughta get around to installing barfbags on my planes...

The plane rendezvoused and docked successfully at Kerbinport, though tourist Cerden Kerman decided for a quick spacewalk and threw herself out of the cockpit first. She jetpacked successfully back to the station and picked which of the two available ferry craft would send her and her cohorts to Minmus; Cerden, Berry, Crisny, Bobpont, Barthat and Anzer Kerman loaded aboard Strange Cargo docked at the station with Jeb at the helm. Strange Cargo undocked and burned for Minmus; she'll arrive in six days.

The Crater Maker at DH finished printing shortly after Next Objective arrived in Minmus's SOI, so the nascent lander was fueled up and made its way to a successful docking at space station MinmusportNext Objective then docked successfully at Minmusport and several mass driver shots were conducted to refuel the ferry and lander. Passengers Haldock, Berzer, Trasel, Wehrmin, Doemy, Veremone, Camsey and Eribin Kerman loaded aboard the Crater Maker, which conducted a precision landing at Deepwater Horizon.

5e2luxK.png%20
Off by 6.5 meters...I gotta upgrade my probe control software, obviously...

Engineer Julfry Kerman went out of the outpost and linked the lander up.

SQQp1CT.png%20
That is one hell of a gantry I've got going on. I'd call it a slide but I imagine it wouldn't be as much fun as it looks considering Minmus's low gravity. I could be wrong, though...

Doemy, Veremone, Camsey and Eribin disembarked from the lander to the outpost; they have a colonization contract that will complete in twelve days. After refueling the lander, Julfry disconnected the gantry and got back inside the outpost; the remaining tourists will return to Minmusport when the station comes back around on its next orbit, about forty minutes from now.

Meanwhile at the Boot Hill outpost on Mun, construction of the Munfart 7 Core science station successfully wrapped up after six days. Fueling and launch of the outpost was conducted this morning; though the station's contract calls for 6000 units of liquid fuel, only enough fuel to get it into orbit was added - the rest will be shot up at a later time via mass driver. Launch was successful aside from the loss of a single solar panel; the station was dubbed Freshcod upon achieving orbit. It was noted that there was no fuel available for the station's nuclear reactors - its primary power supply - as the necessary ore wasn't present, so a survey of the other Munar outpost sites - namely the Piper Alpha refinery and the Michael Collins Convention Center near the Armstrong Memorial - took place. I'll be sending a team to the MCCC to begin the long process of getting that set up in the near future. Meanwhile, the station does have sufficient solar panels to be able to conduct operations and construction of a Crater Maker has begun at Boot Hill; it should be complete in about eight hours.

Scheduled to begin the process of switching to 1.5.x tomorrow. I probably oughta start checking my mods for updates today.

Today I launched Minmus Station's orbital Pipeline into orbit:

EItQKxi.png

I had to move fast due to a problem with the spacecraft colliding with the Rangeland that built it. The Rangeland exploded and catapulted the vehicle into the air. Fortunately the rest of the mission went off without a hitch:

I2a385h.png)

Next up was the starboard hab/lab module for Nautilus (DSEV-03):

JzRRfIB.png

There's just enough room to install the module if I wait for the solar arrays to get out of the way...

2Tlese8.png

I also worked on Discovery (DSEV-04), but didn't capture any images as she's still in the design phase..

Edited by Angel-125

Realized I hadn't gone to Minmus yet during my current career game, so I did just that.  Got a small surface base contract finished with that trip (it was just a lander with passenger capacity.)  I leave my heat shield in orbit with this model of lander, and I ran out of monoprop while trying to rendezvous with it (hit it at a weird angle when trying to dock and bounced it away on the first try.) Ended up having to dock with it by carefully lining things up with the main engines and then flipping the craft around while slowly coasting into a dock.  Little challenges like that keep an otherwise mundane mission interesting.

Trying to get enough science and funds to start building the interplanetary ship I have in my head.