What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

So I was casually playing my GPO modded career, was landing on Gol and Nightmare with my spaceplane when this glitch started happening. Every time I time-warped it warped the TIME as well, which meant that ship got warped to another place (1/16 of orbit forward or so) with velocity and everything. Very strange, maybe landing on Nightmare had to do something with it :huh:.  Yeah, and PLANETS warped ahead too... Nightmare not following its orbit line is kinda scary. Thanks Kraken that ALT+F5 and ALT+F9 stopped this glitch from happening.

Now let's move on...
I think Veronica is being possesed by something, I'm judging that by the shadowy look on her face while being on Nightmare and Gol. That is being amplified by lack of satelite communication when landing. (I hope that the evil laughter is not that evil)

Well when returning to Gaia, I somehow forgot to enable temperature gauges, and my plane almost melted, almost. The original plan was to recover the crew from KSS Nebula on the way back, but because I landed on Nightmare I had quite tight Delta-V budget with only 253m/s remaining after 2 aerobraking passes, correction and rendezvous with station would require aroun 200m/s and there wouldn't be any space for mistakes and also I do not have prop depo on station (yet), which means that I would have to push instead of deorbit burn. Also I had to wait few orbits before runway travelled to day side. Then one stanadard 100m/s deorbit burn later Veronica was speeding through the fire and flames of atmosphere, aaaand overshot runway quite a bit. It landed safely after 180 degree turn, and of course Kraken was the one designing landing gear here, so a little bumpy landing with 1 second freeze when touching the ground, but HEY! nothing broke and everything was successfully recovered.

Halfway there!

fMIamDZ.png

Dunyazad shortly after take-off, powering toward orbit helped by Side-Hull Assistive Reaction Thrusters (SHARTs). The Wolfhound is a magical engine but no good for Kerbin's atmosphere...

FZ12Wcc.png

Soon joined by her sister craft, Shahrazad...

uN5mk3F.png

... and finally, Sindbad. We went for a higher orbit with him because the lifter still had a few dV left.

YYhJhBy.png

Next, a wait for the transfer window, then the ejection burns, a long coast through interplanetary space, and then... Duna awaits.

On 11/23/2018 at 12:14 AM, Brikoleur said:

You might want to consider just sticking a  couple of RAPIERs with a bit of fuel/ox on detachable pylons on the wings.

A very nice idea and thank you.  Batwing is 34.6t, wet, so that should work.

UPDATE: @Brikoleur

4MtOQiq.png3nqH6Hy.png

Worked fine, although I needed 4 to go supersonic, possibly due to the drag of the large Wing area.

The RAPIERs can be retained all the way through circularization, which means, after the obligatory LKO refuel, they can assist with the transfer to destination.

I attached 2 TT-38K couplers to the fuselage, gizmo'd them to the underside of the outboard NERV fuel stacks, attached the RAPIER assemblies there and then gizmo'd them into their natural position at the wing-tips.  After separation, you don't even see the remnant bolts of the 38K decouplers and I'm betting KSP attributes no mass to those bolts, either.

It actually looks pretty stylish, too...?

Edited by Hotel26

I sent a single-launch space station into Minmus Orbit for a contract. It was supposed to:

• Have an antenna, a docking port, and can generate power - check, check, and check
  • Be able to house at least nine kerbals - It has a crew capacity of eleven.
  • Viewing cupola - check
  • Research lab - check
    • Even has 2.5 m Service Bay loaded with all the scientific equipment I can fit, which is all but the survey scanners.
  • Stability for ten seconds - check
  • Minmus Orbit - check
  • (NOT IN CONTRACT) Standard-issue probe core, battery, and MechJeb - check
    • Probe core for sending the station unoccupied. Will send astronauts up there later.

Sure, it may be more expensive than my previous single-launch space stations. And yes, I may be producing at a loss. However, it's totally worth it when I save on assembly costs. Also, since it will still have lots of fuel and oxidizer left in the tanks, I can send landers to the station and get them refueled before I need to send a re-supply mission up there.

• Not to mention I increase my career reputation
Edited by Mars-Bound Hokie
Grammatical error

In my 1.4.5 career, my first Jool crew finally made it back home.  After that, finished setting up my 1.5.1 copy & started a fresh career in it.   I may try copying over my 1.4.5 career, as I was really enjoying it & I'm not enjoying this new one as much as I usually do. 

Jeb on his way to the career first Mun orbit

zsufZOx.png?2

Delivering the Mun Surveyor lander.  Jeb's orbital trip allowed me to unlock Titan parts from the MOLE mod, so my career just got easier.

cvXN7Xg.png?2

By the way, these dad-blasted fairings. The aero is definitely bugged. I couldn't take hacking with fairings anymore (I would have had to run the full suite of deployment tests again)  and just brute-forced my way to orbit (it worked because the aero is bugged with the fairings themselves, not the contents, so my craft was symmetrically inefficient) but it's something to keep in mind for the future.

Back to back fairings don't work as you'd expect. The aero model sees the flat face of the backward-pointing fairing. I.e. the forward-facing fairing does nothing. There were massive drag spikes as well as a quite a bit of heating on the way up which should not have happened.

So a solution for backward-pointing cargo nodes compatible with kerbal physics would only have to use forward-facing fairings. That could be done by connecting the attachment point to the floor on which the cargo sits and clipping it through the fairing at front. 

That still leaves the flat back. Since backward-pointing fairings can't solve that problem, it would have to be attempted with some other aerodynamic parts -- although who knows, they might be similarly bugged.

Shame FAR isn't compatible beyond 1.3.1. 

Needed to put a probe in a <60 degree orbit around the Sun. So I put my smallest probe on my biggest rocket and sent it towards Jool. This makes the first interplanetary mission for my career mode save. (1.4.5)

screenshot1249.png

The Juno-II Heavy on the pad with KERMES (KERbol Magnetic Environment Sensor)

screenshot1236.png

Fairing Sep:

screenshot1237.png

KERMES after TJI flying near the Mun:

screenshot1246.png

TJI occured at a less-than-optimal phase angle, however the craft contains enough dV to cover for any losses that might of incurred.

Final trajectory: (Principia nearly grinds KSP to a halt rendering orbits this long in period. My poor computer!)

screenshot1244.png

Hopefully the probe has enough EC and comms to communicate once at Jool. It'll be vital for the maneuver at Jool periapsis and for collecting sweet science from the planet while we're there.

An orbital survey identified two candidate sites for the base. Both are equatorial and low-elevation, and both indicate ore hot spots. 

The first candidate is in the Western Canyon.

9gVujEs.png

After RVing with Duna Station, Sindbad released the probe rovers. The first one made a soft landing slightly off the intended target, on the highlands near the lip of the canyon.

8JyvuTl.png

kScIXTM.png

It suffered a small mishap on the way to the site, but only lost a solar panel and some batteries. It reached the candidate area and mapped out a candidate base site -- a stretch of relatively level terrain at about 500 m elevation. Surface ore concentration is 6.94% -- sufficient for fuel production.

vecsrq0.png

The other candidate is inside an equatorial crater. However, it is currently nighttime there. We will survey it tomorrow.

PMhJHVu.png

Everything went well, until kerbal physics started messing with me again. After switching to the scene from the tracking centre, my drill jumped high into the air and crashed, breaking its solar panels and radiators.

Also it's as close to level as natural terrain gets, but everything still keeps sliding around, and the framerate has gone into single digits (much slower than on Kerbin with the same base setup, and then I was playing with Scatterer on and much higher graphics settings). 

In other words, designing and deploying this was fun but the bugs + framerate drop kill it for me. I guess self-contained single-module bases are the way to go. I do have a save from just before the jump + explosion but I really do not want to deal with that kind of thing again, so I'm calling a halt to this career unless/until they get those surface interactions working.

Nope, I forgot all about it :(

Still that's only a part of the problem. Sliding is just as big an issue with this base design. I ended up having the ISRU clipping into the tractor when connected with a KAS pipe in docked mode. Anchoring them to the ground didn't work either, the anchors slid around too. 

I simply cannot believe it's that hard to flag some things as fixed features of the landscape.

I am not to be deterred however. I had an idea for a KIS/KAS base design that is actually assembled in-situ to be a single craft. That should obviate the sliding. Will be rolling back to the save before the Duna launch...

By the way, I also think Duna itself may be somehow bugged. The surface is much more slippery than on most other bodies I've played with, and there are inexplicable framerate drops -- just flying in with no other craft in the vicinity saw a drop into the single digits; the same craft has no such issues on Kerbin. 

Today, my probe finally arrived to Thalia. This is a first successful flight to another planet that I've performed in this career save.

...Approaching the cursed planet.

cdkzvawi7aba5bpzg.jpg

...Performing a 2km/s capture burn. You can also see Thalia's moon, Eta (below and slightly to the left from the sun).

ywkwc5wpf6kcddnzg.jpg