What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Haven't actually played KSP in about a year, now.

As a matter of fact, I haven't been playing much at all for a few months now. There's a lot to do out there.

Nuclear tug "Pegasus" beeing refueled in Kerbin orbit by multiple hydrogen tankers...

uWNXuJB.jpg

A team of engineers came on board as well for refurbishing and reactor maintenance...

jafnNiV.jpg

Time to lift the next piece of cargo for Sarnus...

ShHRyON.jpg

Eeloo station weighting 200 tons (empty) making its way into orbit...

TLGaJE3.jpg

and docking up to the Pegasus puller (burned out lifter in the background)...

swjdPC0.jpg

A few years later, the Pegasus is about to arrive at its destination with the package. Scratching Sarnus' atmosphere on orbital insertion burn...

E0jadQv.jpg

continuing on to Eeloo...

3byrtXL.jpg

On the dark side of Sarnus...

FRYa8gz.jpg

A couple hours later... deployment of the station in a low Eeloo orbit...

8KdISeN.jpg

The station, while still uncrewed, went into hibernation mode with its reactor running on minimum power output. Once the surface operations begin and the station has been filled up with supplies, it will serve as a hub and fall back option. It will be able to keep the exploration team alive for 280 years.

0JguQhq.jpg

Pegasus arriving back at Kerbin, undergoing some more maintenance. This time the nuclear fuel waste has to be removed and the engineers are having a really hard time to get it cooled down enough to make that possible. Further operations are put on hold untill that problem is solved...

ceUbp2G.jpg

Edited by TrooperCooper

17 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

I finished modeling and texturing of the revised Pipeline mass driver:

zB6nsx7.png

This new version makes it much easier to connect it to your Pathfinder base:

FvvX3Wr.png

Old (background) versus new (foreground)

BJtO7Wy.png

Yeah i definaly need this now!

I redid the konkrete base for the Castillo once more, and finally have a design that I'm satisfied with:

1xBYBL4.png

This part has gone through a number of revisions since @JustJim originally requested it for his story. It's been a struggle to figure out its place in Pathfinder, but now it serves as the cornerstone for my Sandcastle line of 12.5m parts. I also have an observatory, factory, and storage dome planned along with some lighted walkways.

I also revised the konkrete base of the upcoming Ground Station:

iv7UDeA.png

What I like is that the base has rounded corners to reflect how some 3D printers work when they print houses.

LKO rescue missions are easy.
Especially with Principia because you can plot your path relative to your target.

G7cn2DS.png

XiHxjSy.png

I almost feel like I'm cheating.

2idEr3w.png

x7pO3q4.png

vT5bJtE.png

Burned some fuel on the way down again. I didn't want to waste the fuel, as even with the smallest 2.5m tank the amount of dV goes into the quadruple digits.
In the end I actually needed to cut off the engine and stage because it (the Terrier) didn't burn the fuel in time and I didn't want to risk things. At least not too much.

Ss2G1sW.png

1XLMsRB.png

Sometimes, just sometimes, KSP's landscapes actually look really good. This is one of those times.

Today i took a bunch of Tourists to the Mun and Minmus.

I only had the medium landing legs so the mun landing was a bit shaky but otherwise a pretty successful mission considering i dont do tourist missions very often...

5hlBcLr.jpg

3 minutes ago, deufrai said:

Today I set foot on another celestial body for the first time : Our Mun

https://imgur.com/a/yWPhmu5

Was really tight on Delta V : Ended up my rentry with only 36 m/s left

It is quite a compact lander design, i like it.

Here are some tips:

I recommend putting the heatshield between the tank and the cargo bay and adding a decoupler to ease the load on the parachutes.(Meaning you can have less parachutes and save on weight.)

It does not look like your landing legs touch the ground very much, you can extend them in the vab to see if they reach far enough before you have even launched.

If you have problem with dv you can use an engine with higher isp like the poodle, it gives you 14% more dv and weighs half as much as 4 thuds.(You might need larger landing legs when using the poodle)

So, this actually happened yesterday but I didn't get a chance to say it, I flew my first 100% successful fusion-powered flight into orbit.

1FvPaKU.png

6SZ8Zjv.png

All my previous attempts had failed for one or more of the following reasons:

Not having enough charge for the engine to start, and falling back into the atmosphere

Not having enough power to recharge the engine fast enough after I accidentally shut it down, and falling back into the atmosphere

Having a TWR too low to circularise the orbit before falling back into the atmosphere

Engine randomly exploding before circularisation is complete, and falling back into the atmosphere

11i4XVX.png

aJScWVR.png

Nx19z2r.png

So now I'm in a circular orbit with 60km/s of Dv, a bit over 1 year and 300 days of life support, two kerbals and no idea where to go next.

I got two contracts for seismic scans on Gilly. I had the idea of not sending a lander, but just EVA Bob there, use KIS to place a seismic accelerometer on the ground and read it like that. So I landed on the first spot, took the accelerometer out and placed it 10-20 cm above ground, so it wouldn't clip through the surface. The accelerometer fell those few centimeters under Gilly gravity and ...blew up.

Guess I'll need a new mission to Eve next launch window.

Edited by Bogen

Nothing too special: a Hawk delivering a Ladybug lunar explorer to the surface.  I got tired doing them one at a time, so here's the last 4.
0pUSBaY.pngTiDugY4.png

The flight line at Mawson Station and a Skunk UAV being refueled in prep for a daily morning surveillance run over the Kerbean peninsula:
4uGz05M.pngWc2W0Oq.png

Edited by Hotel26

y9yVRPg.pngy9yVRPg.pngToday I finished my circumnavigation of Minmus using the Science Hatchback rover!

FBkSJmz.png

After circumnavigation

NVNCLKs.png

Waypoint track of my path. Its roughly Polar. I did it for Elkano and Science!

I also completed the Duna Insight Lander Challenge, with a 2.345 ton full craft lmao

y9yVRPg.png

On Duna! Damned light.

High speed Duna aerobrake.
haN9M8Vl.png
Coming in fast. 
Zmb10mAl.png
8 g braking helps. Had to move some air brakes around with KAS to balance the ship as the high g load would make small drag differences have an huge impact. 
pSwozu1l.png
g force actualy dropped as I reached Pe.
7FCXfUtl.png
Don't need heatshields anymore. I had to do an 200 m/s braking burn to get into orbit and getting an Ike intercept. Plenty of fuel for the lander. 
Later missions changes this to just bring fuel and ore, not oxidizer for flexibility. 

Landed on ike and an Kerbal managed to get stuck. 
uTzksdQl.png
And to put down an ladder he could grab and get free.

Shot of ships. 
mAra1jgl.png
I moved the science lander between the tug and the base to get maximum length to the rear heat shields. 

Having completed my mission on Laythe, I'm moving KSS Discovery to Vall and the mapping satellites to Tylo and Pol. And while I'm waiting for the transfer windows, I went back to my GPP career and performed first Icarus orbit:

ccy8n5pqfut414pzg.jpg

ucko5yu5653weuqzg.jpg

I should probably curb my tendency to over-engineer my transfer stages and then perform very aggressive body approaches. 8k burns aren't fun even if your craft can pull 25 m/s^2 acceleration...

ldcrg5vdd4bn7hgzg.jpg

Firstly: Please welcome Distant Object Enhancement to the list of mods that I succumbed to.
Secondly: I landed on the Mun today. Pretty regular thing... except I haven't played KSP for quite some time, so I needed to get into it again.

Taking the opportunity I decided to use one of the engines that VSR comes with: The "Dachshund". In short: Nice, light engine with lots of thrust, but no thrust vectoring and it takes a while for it to shut down. And I mean a while. Expect a good 20s or so of Potentially Unwanted Thrust.
But I suppose real engines also don't turn off instantly, do they?

BzZDRLG.png

lfG4FnK.png

n9wJHMw.png

I went down to the sea floor to recover a sunken probe core from a depth of about 700-800m.zdHdX5J.png

For that small mission, a submersible had to be constructed...

fqrinD0.png

...and a carrier plane was built...

yaItuh7.png

Anyway, there is a floating base, now as well....

U9iacZM.png

All together, it's just a nice place to stay:

hthuIYU.png

All  craft files are in my hangar: https://kerbalx.com/hangars/46627

The mono hull hypersonic seaplane on which the carrier plane is based is here: https://kerbalx.com/docphees/SeaGully-IVx-XPD-Hypersonic-Seaplane

Many more pictures in the gallery: https://imgur.com/a/jBCBsAY

Edited by dr.phees
Added gallery

5 minutes ago, dr.phees said:

I went down to the sea floor to recover a sunken probe core from a depth of about 700-800m.zdHdX5J.png

For that small mission, a submersible had to be constructed...

fqrinD0.png

...and a carrier plane was built...

yaItuh7.png

Anyway, there is a floating base, now as well....

U9iacZM.png

All together, it's just a nice place to stay:

hthuIYU.pnghthuIYUg.png

All  craft files are in my hangar: https://kerbalx.com/hangars/46627

+for the parasol: ) 
You are hover unlikely to get sunburns on Layte. 
And yes an seaplane version of stratolauncher whoud be nice :) 

12 hours ago, magnemoe said:

+for the parasol: ) 
You are hover unlikely to get sunburns on Layte. 
And yes an seaplane version of stratolauncher whoud be nice :) 

It's in the DeepCraft file. It is a twin hull version of the plane in the pictures with winch in the top and some KAS fastening gear on the wings. The plane flies stable in about 21 to 23km height at about 1200m/s. Perfect as a stratolauncher (although launched craft should be of the 1.25m diameter.

The trick is *not* to use full throtle while low in the athmosphere. It will do 1000+m/s there without problems, but it burns fuel at an amazing rate. Once high enough, you fly full throttle at 21+km height. And keep it there. AthmosphericAutopilot addon is brilliant for that. It then uses something around 0.5 units of fuel per second. Brilliant mpg!

I did not test the range yet, but you can easily circumnavigate Kerbin in one flight with the monohull version. I guess the twin hull has similar, probably even bigger range.

The mono hull hypersonic seaplane on which the carrier plane is based on is now on KerbalX: https://kerbalx.com/docphees/SeaGully-IVx-XPD-Hypersonic-Seaplane

Edited by dr.phees