What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

14 hours ago, AeroGav said:

One thing that really drives me potty about this game is minor updates breaking your craft,  mods that add parts just seem to make the picture even worse.

That mod adds several different size NERVs & other nuclear engines.  I cut it down to 5 NERV-like engines for various size craft (thrust ranging from 40 to 400 kN).  For some reason, 3 of those were set at 570 vacuum Isp while the other 2 were still at 800. 

I also landed a drone sub on Laythe.  Of course it was on the night side, so I didn't do much exploration yet.  And with part pressure limits on, it can't dive very deep either.  I'll have to check back once dawn arrives.

l03AZaG.png?2

On 12/8/2018 at 7:25 PM, Azimech said:

Testing was done at 60m/s and 2G lateral force. The anti-roll system works but because of the way KSP handles wheels, the increase in cornering speed was minimal (2.1 vs 1.9 G's).

So I won't be building this into my cars.

Reduced frequency of vomiting is worth almost any price.   Sign me up.

Now that I've fixed my spaceplane issue in 1.5.1, it was time to jump back into that career.  First came an orbital rescue with the Falcon spaceplane.  With the corrected engines, it arrives in a 125 km orbit with nearly 1300 m/s dV remaining - I picked 125km to get the extra level of time warp while waiting to rendezvous with the rescue.

Q1LHSNg.png?2

Once that was complete, I launched a lab module for my Minmus station, followed by a crew capsule - my senior engineer has been getting lonely with no company & no return ship.  He kinda got forgotten about for a few months.  Didn't get much for screenshots, but this was a pretty one of the capsule in LKO, heading to the Minmus transfer maneuver.  I still need to send up two more modules, but I'm holding out hoping for an "expand station" contract

gqrWXIb.png?2

I've been experimenting with seaplane bases again. I stumbled on a trick for getting seaplanes back into the air from the water that, as I am a real astronautics engineer, I really should have thought of while building my first seaplane base which is currently on Laythe. The trick: RATO. Rocket assisted takeoff. Carry one or two of the smaller diameter rocket engines, Vectors in this case, and burn them just long enough to get the plane back in the air.

Cwtpozq.png

This is the first seaplane base, now designated "Hyperboria Base", on Laythe making science.

xhFZlUd.png

This is my 5th RATO seaplane base experiment. It has almost everything a base needs (missing antenna and docking ports), half the wingspan of my first seaplane base, fewer engines (although by changing from 8 vectors to two of those big turbofans it has the same thrust), more fuel, fewer floats, fewer moving parts, a few more crew seats, and two vectors for RATO.

MJvw7zH.png

The run up distance for a water takeoff is way shorter too.

iH3nTzL.png

It also flies better than the first one. And unlike Hyperboria Base this experimental flyer has it's drills stored internally. I figured out I could use the 3.5 m service module to conceal drills.

Edited by Zosma Procyon

A day without screenies today, so naturally I expect all of you to like and subscribe to this post in particular...

Not much done after my ramblings yesterday. Pilot Patrod Kerman, scientist Dilbur Kerman and engineer Gemlorf Kerbin aboard the TBD 7a base-seeding rover at Mun finished up their harrowing 50 kilometer drive from the Munar midlands through the lowlands and into the Twin Craters this morning (and by harrowing, I mean 'stopping for quicksaving every five kilometers and having to revert more often than not because the damn thing lost control and blew up with the loss of all hands') only to find that the intended site for their base was unsuitable for the task. At this point, the trio of Kerbals and their rover are moving on to go pick up engineer Sulan Kerman, a drive of a further sixty kilometers to the east. When they get there, they're going to have to set up a Pathfinder base whether its suitable or not (which in this case means 'has all the prerequisite materials to make Equipment the easy way'; lack of Exotic Minerals has been the sticking point up until now). A failure there would bring much of my ongoing efforts on Mun into question, not the least of which is the viability of establishing a refinery on the surface using Pathfinder parts. Not looking forward to having to do things the old-fashioned way again...

Can't trust those orbital scans, y'all...

Work is ongoing at the Swamp Castle base on Kerbin, with Pilot Alder Kerman, scientist Frovan Kerman and engineer Beamon Kermon continuing to expand the base's capabilities. Today a third strip-mining unit was added to the base and the addition of an OPAL unit gave the base some storage capability for Oxygen, which brought the uranium enrichment unit on line and in turn put the base on nuclear power. A new print shop also came on line, allowing the older, smaller unit to be retired. Finally, a new storage unit allowed the printing of RocketParts to take place, which will be made available for space station Kerbinport once it has received its receiving-end mass driver and orbital drydock unit. There aren't too many more units I intend to add to the base - a refinery unit will have to be added at some point, some additional electrical production and storage is in the works, maybe a few more drilling units, and then I'll look into adding the ground-based mass driver. At that point the base will really be in business.

Other things that happened today included the launch of my Minmus-based infrastructure. Scientist Rodemone Kerman was loaded aboard a Munport Core 7 craft intended to become space station Minmusport once it reaches its station and shot that way, followed closely by a Spamcan 7 monoprop 2-passenger lander and another TBD 7a rover, this one with pilot Suly Kerman, scientist Lenbal Kerman and engineer Janbles Kerman aboard. I also finished putting a probe into a high, inclined orbit over Mun for contract.

11 hours ago, DocMike said:

So the hydrofoils work normally? I was wondering about lift&drag in the water. 

Yep, and it turned out I needed much fewer of them. I use a set of the largest "Big-S" aerorons on the forward float/crew capsule, and two sets on the smaller delta wings on the rear floats with no flaps. The trick was having the connecting structural wing on the forward float (much) longer than those for the rear floats; so that when the hydrofoils were all sitting on the surface, the nose was already held up out of the water. The tail connector parts I used on the fore and after of the floats on Hyperboria proved unnecessary, and the smaller more aerodynamic and useful NCS adapters and small nose cones represent less dead weight. Although if there aren't autostucted, they can and will break off during a water takeoff. I should point out that the two big turbofans do not produce enough thrust to keep the seaplane moving "on the plain" for long, so I need to engage the RATO Vectors to get it up and out. Also this design is not space capable, so once it's down its staying down on Laythe.

Edited by Zosma Procyon

16 hours ago, Lisias said:

Screenshots or didn't happened! :D 

(one of the best "What did you do" in all times)

[Images don't seem to load sorry, here be some links]

xZ8QQ0R.png

Probably the first rocket anyone flew

XV6QBob.png

BOOM and the explosions continued onto present day

a3pzb0n.png

Hey ma, I'm in SPAAACE!

I haven't gotten Orbital yet, but thats because the damn rocket won't lift off, because the engines don't activate. Typical.

Load times are ridiculously tiny compared to my OPM 1.5 save.

Edited by Xurkitree

Newbie Kerbaler...  just working on the basics so far. Made my first Mun landing..  wasn't pretty as I had some lateral movement when I touched down so my craft is slightly askew but we made it! And a nice shot with Kerbal setting on the horizon.

I'd insert the screenshot but something doesn't like Google Photos. Tried adding the file extension but no go   hrm

Edited by Dan Kerman

I built a UAV back in September.  It's called Skunk.  I pretty soon accidentally discovered it contained a genie...  I was so surprised, but I could never reliably conjure up the genie.

I got up at 5a this morning to discover the Magic Elixir -- and bottle it.  Skunk sustains flight at 30-31km at a speed of 2,187 m/s.

Here's the elixir:

It absolutely requires Atmospheric Autopilot to pull off this trick.  Great mod, btw!

Spent a fair amount of time working with the Swamp Castle experimental Pathfinder outpost near KSC over the past 24 hours. Came up with a pretty novel solution for the ongoing problem of the base floating several meters off the ground.

tOh8f0D.png
That'll teach whatever forces are defying gravity. No way this will ever come back to haunt me, right?

The base was expanded with five Chuckwagon storage units, a BrewWorks refinery and another Claimjumper strip-mining unit. I also added three Doc science labs, one of each of flavor. Finally, I got a Pipeline mass driver printed up and ready to go. I wanted to go ahead and add a Solar Flare fusion generator but the fact that my tech tree wasn't fully unlocked prevented that, so it was time to send somebody to Mun for more science farming. The job fell to scientist Tefrod Kerman, who was loaded aboard a Fireball 7b lander and sent that way. Tefrod affected landings in the East Farside Crater, Cayons and Farside Basin before returning to Kerbin, having collected a little over 1900 science for her efforts. The science was enough to unlock all but Ion Propulsion (a tech I hardly use as anything other than a tick-mark anyway). Swamp Castle now has a functioning fusion generator and at this point I'm heading towards final construction of that Pipeline. Once that's done the base should be able to perform refueling shots to space station Kerbinport in orbit, which is the main goal behind the whole project.

SVJ03j2.png
Swamp Castle pretty much as it sits right now; one final Chuckwagon was added to the west end of the base shortly after this screenie was taken.

Meanwhile, ScanSat Minmus arrived over the minty moon and an orbital survey was conducted. Two potential sites have been evaluated for the landing of the upcoming TBD mission heading that direction right now; i know which of the two spots I'm favoring for the construction of a permanent base at Minmus but it's all going to depend on what resources are available where. Hoping for better luck at Minmus than I've had so far with Mun. The Pink Noise 7 communications satellite carrier craft bound for Minmus also arrived and the commsat constellation established.

Jeb and Val flew up to Kerbinport along with tourists Sarah, Rado, Anger and Phobrett aboard a Minnow 7 craft; the Minnow was selected mainly to conduct a docking-related experiment. The tourists are headed towards both of Kerbin's moons and they'll have to await the arrival of a craft capable of docking at space stations Munport and Minmusport before they can depart Kerbinport (either that or I need to figure out how I'm going to install a smaller docking port aboard those two stations with them already in flight). Finally, I went ahead and added the spaceplane docking pier module to Kerbinport. I still need to get the receiving end mass driver up there, but that's coming up on my to-do list pretty quick.

2 hours ago, Xurkitree said:

Images don't seem to load sorry, here be some links]

Hey there. :D

To get images to work, you need to use the link with the file extension, usually .png (right click on image>copy link), the just paste onto the page and it should parse properly. 

xZ8QQ0R.png

Unless you’re on mobile, which is a completely different (and rather smelly) can o worms. 

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

Flown Queen Anne's Revenge into deep space. After Jool slingshot and burning everything (took over 24 hrs real time on 4x warp - its Jool distance and only 6 out of 20 panels illuminated) she's over 16 km/s and trajectory only extends as far as 8 years. I wonder what lies out there...

Pro'ly Kraken :P

11 hours ago, Dan Kerman said:

Made my first Mun landing..  wasn't pretty as I had some lateral movement when I touched down so my craft is slightly askew but we made it! And a nice shot with Kerbal setting on the horizon.

Grats on hitting the milestone!  

Your craft being slightly askew... did you leave the SAS on?  If you have it on and set to stability, it will try to keep the nose pointing in the same direction unless you tell it otherwise.  Assuming it is just leaning a little, you can try turning the SAS briefly off, let gravity pull it into a normal vector relative to the Munar surface, then turn SAS back on once it is lined up since it has "recalibrated" the direction you expect it to keep pointing.

Edited by Fearless Son