What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Putting the dialogue back in. Had a crazy theory that it'd reduce the time/comic but all that happened was I spent more time writing a wall of text :P 

psHi4of.jpg

This mission returned a healthy 227 science, enabling the R&D teams to finish off some beefier engines and fuel tanks, and the sponsorship deal from the flag planting has finally finally given us the money to invest in the tracking station. We have manoeuvre nodes and orbit predictions! (Although it has been kind of fun getting this far without.)

There were also some satellite launches that have incidentally provided some level of communications around Mun and made some extra profits, but nobody cares about satellites and I kind of forgot to take any screenshots anyway.

Also I realise now that this is not the skybox I expected... but it feels like the stock sky may have been improved? (Edit; fixed the skybox for next mission.)

Edited by eddiew

Wondered why the re-entry pods IVAs are oriented 90 degrees from their pitch/yaw controls... As below, the "top" of the vessel is the doors of the materials bay. Pushing W turns the vessel down, and the kerbals to their left x(

JGY1Kis.jpg

Any mod wizards could suggest a simple patch to spin the darn thing so that down is towards the kerbals' feet?

Edited by eddiew

Not really in KSP, but I fixed the spatial anomaly that caused a flag on the Mun to disappear. I found the last quicksave sfs file that had the flag in it, and copied and pasted the VESSEL segment from that into the persistent.sfs of the save game. So that's all good now. I thought that updating to 1.5 had caused it, but apparently I made a named quicksave after the 1.5 update which still had the flag in it, so it must have been one of those random one-off errors that I'll never see again. Ah, KSP :P

Bill also did an EVA in one of the MMUs recently delivered to the space station, and was able to hold position for long enough so that Rosgar in the cupola was able to take a pic.

GR7wpgJ.png

(The MMU is from Cormorant Aeronology, in case you were wondering :))

24 minutes ago, eddiew said:

Any mod wizards could suggest a simple patch to spin the darn thing so that down is towards the kerbals' feet?

@PART[the name of the part]
{
	@MODEL
    {
    	%rotation = 0,90,0 //If it turns the wrong way, change the 90 to -90
    }
}

Just line up the indents and you should be ready to go.

or you could rotate it in the VAB

4 hours ago, DeltaDizzy said:

Just line up the indents and you should be ready to go.

or you could rotate it in the VAB

Unfortunately what happens is that the model rotates and the IVA doesn't.

LU1C2OQ.jpg

For some reason, the 'smallest' pod orients the kerbal correctly with their feet pointing away. Sizes 2 and 3 aim their feet to the right. None of them seem to have the same IVA windows.

Feels like I need a way to tell the config "this side is up when controlling from this part" rather than trying to rotate... but I think I'm out of luck. To my understanding, what I'd need is to do a fresh export of the IVA model file with changed axes, which I'm not equipped to do. Guess I'm just going to have to not use the window view :/

Edited by eddiew

So I hopped on KSP for ther first time in awhile and did an quickie Apollo Mun landing to get the rust off of my flying skills.  Took a few screenies as the mission went along, and upon reviewing them, a few notables stood out.  Thought I would share.

Checking the extension and deployment of the landing legs from inside the Command module. Its a classic MEM style lander, you're seeing the side with a rover slapped on it:

KfQF0du.png

Mun arch a 30 second drive from the landing site.  Probably would've been quicker to jetpack over, but then the screenies aren't as cool. Under Kerbin you can see Duna as well:

ka97Hie.png

Upon returning home, a glitch appears; the huge fireball in the background is the Service module as the Command module gently descends under parachutes.  I guess the atmosphere stops interacting with the Service module after it gets a certain distance from the focused craft, resulting in it zipping along ahead of me with continual reentry effects blazing away.  Those are the stock effects that are usually disabled, the sparks behind the craft and the HUGE jet of plasma or whateveritis.

E60lrJa.jpg

Edited by klesh

22 hours ago, Daveroski said:

I bet you are really pleased that now only one guy has to leave the ship and plant a flag so that everyone in the ship gets the 'planted a flag' qualification.

I literally learned that the other day.  Update 1.2 happened when I was on some other game (Fallout 4, Skyrim, god knows what) so I missed the cross talk.  Oh well, happy times ahead.  
Can't wait for the school bus full of Kerbals to Duna just for experience to be an in and out thing.  

I decided to launch a single launch station as I have not for a while. the goal was to easily deorbit it and as A side mission I wanted to see if I could  open solar panels in water

The launch:

Gbgn99b.jpg

circleization burn: rj8uoth.jpg

orbit:

aIzgF5D.jpg

de orbit and landing:

Y3iqqTt.jpg

YQnmBFV.jpg

CxHPgy4.jpg

(man was this hard to land)

Stealing an idea i saw in the open source construction thread.  Putzing around with a heavy lifter design, still very rough ideas.

I hate not having large stock landing legs.  But the mk3 cargo ramp had impact tolerance of 50m/s.  And it creates a nice wide base.  I've also seen builders put in the drills and engines into them too.

xL6GwS4.png

G2AYv89.png

These are the parts I was able to mod today.

1) Set Ion Engine - An engine that works better in high atmospheric pressure - fails in space.
2) Anti Fuel Cell - Converts EC to LFO
3) Anti Fuel Cell Array - Converts EC to LFO
4) Ore Recharger - Recharges Ore into the ground - actually makes it vanish
5) ReConvert - o - Tron - Converts LF/O/Monoprop to Ore. Go Green!
6) Constantine Liquid Fuel Engine - Runs with the same ISP, same thrust, at all altitudes, at all pressures. ISP = k, where k = 300 always.

I hope to make more of these ridiculous parts, but first I'm making a new model for the Constantine Engine.

7 hours ago, eddiew said:

For some reason, the 'smallest' pod orients the kerbal correctly with their feet pointing away. Sizes 2 and 3 aim their feet to the right. None of them seem to have the same IVA windows.

They’re probably just going for historical accuracy. :D The Soviet Voskhod capsules were really just Vostoks with extra crew couches crammed inside. They never bothered to reorient the controls, so the cosmonauts literally had to “fly” the capsule sideways like this. 

ETA: found a pic. 

interior_1.jpg

This is Voskhod 3. Note the gauge panel near the top. The crew would have been sitting across the frame, so that this panel was at the cosmonaut’s elbow. In Vostok, he would have been looking ahead/down at it, with the Vzor window kinda at his feet. 

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

Sent up the Ferryman III to collect a pair of wayward souls and bring them to the other side. Where they will be productive members of our space program.

3Uq992J.jpg

(It actually was entirely because I realised that these missions fulfil the horrible rendezvous and crew transfer world firsts that the contract system likes to thrust upon me. This now being a known thing, I will intentionally take one kerbal rescue at every body and try to plan a spare seat for the long distance ones.)

Loaded with sweet, sweet roots from the rescue and tourist missions, the go-ahead is given for an expedition to the minty green jewel that has decorated the skies of Kerbin for at least 50 years since the first person mentioned it.

5PNARZH.jpg

Apparently the crew were so awed by the delicious appearance from orbit that they forgot to take any photos from altitude. Mission control designates a PR team to handle the cries of 'fake!' that start to be muttered by the public. On the up side, the excessive fuel provided for the mission allowed three biomes' worth of science data to be recovered, the results of which have significantly enhanced our R&D efforts.

Also, we assume that the tank did eventually stop bouncing; unless it is now in ground-orbit of Minmus and continues to roll around the mini-moon indefinitely. Surface friction and gravity are both pretty low, it could well keep going for a fair distance. We may have to send another mission to see how it gets on...

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

They’re probably just going for historical accuracy. :D The Soviet Voskhod capsules were really just Vostoks with extra crew couches crammed inside. They never bothered to reorient the controls, so the cosmonauts literally had to “fly” the capsule sideways like this. 

That's both ridiculous and very clever...

Edited by eddiew

42 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

You see, Ivan, when... ask no questions, get in pod. :mad:

Wait a sec... what mod is getting you that wonderfully tentaclly explosion?

I have no idea... I haven't modded explosions :)

Today was a busy day with a troublesome ending.  My Eve probes arrived.  Two stayed in orbit, while a third made a successful landing in the highlands of Eve.  Then I finally saved up enough funds to upgrade R&D to level 3, and unlocked several new techs with the science returned from Eve. 

Formalhauf lander about to enter Eve's upper atmosphere.

XFkL4ZX.png?2

Random Titan launch at dawn, I just thought it looked nice with the clouds overhead.  I don't even remember what this one was.

68uvDLX.png?2

In addition to new antennas & probe cores, I unlocked the Whiplash engine & gave my Falcon spaceplane an upgrade from it's existing Panther.  The Falcon II makes orbit easier and had plenty of dV remaining for an LKO rescue while showing off for a VIP tourist.

HbpK6wk.png?2

Another 1.5.1 gripe - both the Falcon & Falcon II have developed a nasty stall-spin habit around 25km during reentry.  I've managed to recover both, but it's been a bit scary.  I only managed to recover with the nose straight down at <6 km in both.  The whole thing started as I slowed below about 800 m/s, nose about 10-15 degrees above the horizon & suddenly the nose would start drifting to the side & wouldn't respond to rudder input.  Then it would just start flipping all over the sky for nearly 20 km before I finally recover in the lower atmosphere.  Anyway, coming in to land after overshooting KSC.

40sX0LB.png?2

Finally, this was NOT how this tourist contract was supposed to go.  And due to my self-imposed launch time restrictions, it's still 6 days before a launch pad becomes available.  At least the solar panels survived and there are 42 days worth of snacks on board.  Tomorrow, I'll have to design a recovery craft & get it launched.  I want to design it as a rover with a claw & enough dV to get back to Kerbin & reenter - I have 3 interplanetary transfer windows approaching, including what will be my career first manned Duna mission.  Launching multiple rescue craft will potentially set my launch schedule back too far to launch everything needed for Duna.

After not watching his altitude, the pilot attempted a last second burn.  Although not enough to save the engine or half the landing legs, the main fuel tank & crew module are intact.  The pilot at least woke up enough to turn the lander so both solar panels are saved and the hatches are up.

zQOkAzM.png?2

Ribby Kerman inspects the wrecked lander with 5 tourists on board, and has just one thought:  "I am SOOOO fired if I get back to KSC......"

TTzPaeN.png?2