What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

My 1.5.1 career hit a milestones today - first Moho probe landed.   I also started sending a small fleet of probes to Jool for the second Jool transfer. 

Moho lander in low orbit, looking for a suitable landing site

lHXOeZH.png?1

After burning off the remaining transfer stage fuel, the lander continues down on its own.  I traded actual landing gear for cubic struts on this one and losing my last one (in 1.4.5) to a big gear bounce

mtwB0On.png?1

And safely on the ground, solar panels deployed, sending big chunks of science data back to KSC

em4LNaA.png?1

Launch of my Tylo combination relay & lander from KSC.  It's already on it's way to Jool, along with a Laythe base.  Bop & Pol combo relay/landers, plus assorted other satellites will be following close behind.

RjFVvfE.png?2

And much to my surprise, I enjoyed the airline contracts from GAP (and the 10k funds per passenger from KSC to the Desert & back), so I ran another.  Now that my Dash airliner has been tweaked a little better, flights are smooth & a little quicker than the first few.

DTZagLX.png?1

4 hours ago, tsd said:

Today, I reached KEO for the first time ever! Then I made my first constellation of relay satellites!

Congratulations!!  That is such a good feeling.  You have a lot more to look forward to, as well...  Enjoy!

30 minutes ago, Xurkitree said:

apparently the only mod needing an update is Kopernicus

Of course -- Kopernicus is version-locked, which means it will only work on the versions it is designed for. So if Kopernicus works on 1.5.1, it won't work on 1.4.5 (unless there's a backport) or 1.6.0.

On 12/19/2018 at 7:50 PM, duesenmilan said:

@INTERNAL[KV3_IVA]
{
	@MODEL
    {
      %translation = 0 , 0 , 0
      %rotation = 90 , 0 , 0
    }
}

Yes, thank you, that was the magic! :)  My final script worked out as this:

@PART[kv2Pod]
{
	@MODEL
	{
	  %rotation = 0,-90,0
	}
}

@PART[kv3Pod]
{
	@MODEL
	{
	  %rotation = 0,-90,0
	}
}

@INTERNAL[KV2_IVA]
{
	@MODEL
    {
      %translation = 0 , 0 , 0
      %rotation = 0 , 0 , 90
    }
}

@INTERNAL[KV3_IVA]
{
	@MODEL
    {
      %translation = 0 , 0 , 0
      %rotation = 0 , 0 , 90
    }
}

Which spins the IVAs and models of the KV2 and KV3 pods so that the kerbals' feet point "down" in relation to the control axes.

But it does mean that the 'front' window is pretty rubbish. On the whole these are not good lander cans from the pilot's perspective x)

I wanted to have a go at 1.6 but since my mods didnt work i just put all of them to the side and did a pure stock mission for once. It became my first ever manned Tylo landing using the largest rocket i have ever flown.(First time using the new even larger tanks)

yGrXJhl.png

I landed successfully but had a bit less fuel on the way home than expected. Only 1000 dv in low Tylo orbit, but i know i can do it as when i came from Kerbin to Jool I used gravity assists to get a good Tylo encounter with almost no dv at all so if just manage to do that in reverse it should work out. I hope...

X9zoCJN.png

I really like the new stage info also. Not as informative as kerbal engineer but it still didnt really feel that anything major was missing in terms of info compared to with the mods.

25 minutes ago, Jebediah Kerman Jr. said:

I built a new Mun Base, I call it Young Base after John Young.

Wellll... If you say you did, I'm sure you did... but many people on here are of the firm belief that if there is no pic... well.. it didn't happen.

Not me of course.. I believe you. Really I do.. Just saying... ;)

29 minutes ago, Daveroski said:

Wellll... If you say you did, I'm sure you did... but many people on here are of the firm belief that if there is no pic... well.. it didn't happen.

Not me of course.. I believe you. Really I do.. Just saying... ;)

I play KSP on my son's XBox (I am a cheapskate), sorry for no pic. I am looking to get KSP on steam, however.

Today I fixed my Mk6 Gladius SSTO, designed to go to Ascelpius - It wouldn't lift off from the Runway at all and the problem was -

I kept the rear Landing gear too far behind. 

Moving it closer to the Dry COM immediately helped - its started nosing up at 40 m/s and took off properly at 100, with a bunch of runway to spare.

Not really "Today" but "this week," essentially since 1.6 came out, I've been playing an ALMOST stock install. In particular, no maneuver or planning aids.

I would like to announce today that I have mastered nailing transferring to and from Kerbin, to and from any other world, using stock tools only and very efficient methods. Just today I transferred directly to Ike from LKO without looking anything up or measuring any angles or doing any math, just maneuver node tricks. Then, once done at Ike, I returned directly to Kerbin the same way, from Low Ike Orbit.

99% or so of the burn is done in low orbit of the starting world, and the other 1% or so is a mid course correction. I'm not counting the slowdown burns in those percentages of course.

I've not felt this accomplished since I learned to consistently land on docking ports.

Edited by 5thHorseman

Now that fall semester is over I've been working on a heavy rover delivery system for an unmanned ballistic aerocapture Duna mission. Heatshield + aerocapture, then drogues, then a short propulsive maneuver to bring the puck down to about 0.5 m/s, all using bits from an old kOS script I wrote last year.

Now that I've done the proof of concept, I need to go through the Duna script and overhaul it because it's a mess and I'm using a new library system. Still lots of work to do.

n7w5SiX.jpg