What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

It's been a long time since I really did anything in KSP. Today I got back into it after many months. It's been several game versions since I last played and I think I might go mostly-modless for a while (emphasis on mostly; there aren't many games I play entirely without mods and KSP is not one of those select few). I think I'm going to try to go for a Jool 5 mission since I haven't done that yet (been to Jool's moons and back before but not in a way which qualifies for the challenge).

On 12/20/2018 at 3:53 PM, RealKerbal3x said:

Nice. Now try a super-low Tylo flyby.

You asked for it.

7rot8mU.jpg

16.8 meters above the surface of Tylo! (See KER readouts, or where my cursor is pointing.)

This is a flyby, meaning that I'm actually going at Tylo escape velocity! Extremely hairy maneuver!

(Video when I get home- I'm not in my home country, and the WiFi at the hotels aren't exactly good.)

Edited by Ho Lam Kerman

53 minutes ago, Atkara said:

This lander can... this lander can....

You might need to be careful with your design... Especially your reason placing the ladder. I assume you think those hatch above the lander can is the exit door (it isn't, only the rear one does, and I see it's blocked by battery)

Edited by ARS

2 minutes ago, ARS said:

You might need to be careful with your design... Especially your reason placing the ladder. I assume you think those hatch above the lander can is the exit door (it isn't, only the rear one does, and I see it's blocked by battery)

seems like it should be an exit hatch too.....

Eh, lets just see if it works for him

3 hours ago, qzgy said:

seems like it should be an exit hatch too.....

My thoughts exactly. On the other hand... I made another floatplane. Guess what's this aircraft;)

RHTR2Sx.png

Answer: 

Spoiler

Kawanishi H6k Mavis

It's very stable in flight, but has rather sluggish handling, owing to it's large size

DzpPknm.png

Flawless splashdown!

SsTKmrS.png

Edited by ARS

2 hours ago, ARS said:

I know they default to the rear door. But you can click on the top door and get them to use it, through the transfer/eva menu. Come to think of it, I was doing the same on the mobile labs, whenever I wanted a Kerbal to exit from a specific door.

Edited by Atkara

Bounced around three munar anomalies and forgot to take very many screenshots... 

First Mackenzie and Erin headed for the polar landing site, which turned out to be in a deep, deeeeep crater that has never seen the light of the sun and which rather prohibited an efficient take-off angle.

UXEmXAl.jpg

The second mission, flown by Jeb and Astra, managed to hit two monoliths and squeak home with 13m/s left in the tank. The engineering team has been reminded of the term 'safety margins'.

By this point, the papers seem to be getting bored of photos from the munoliths and thoughts are turning towards that sweet strawberry ice cream upon Duna's poles...

started prototyping my escape pods that will eventually get connected to my kerbin station.

to bad the damned part count is waaay to high for my liking. and the decoupling hurts my ears., im also currently taking suggestions on how to lower the part count, this is going on my kerbin station thats already almost 300 parts.(and this escape module is around 150 somehow)

Edited by putnamto

1 hour ago, putnamto said:

started prototyping my escape pods that will eventually get connected to my kerbin station.

to bad the damned part count is waaay to high for my liking. and the decoupling hurts my ears., im also currently taking suggestions on how to lower the part count, this is going on my kerbin station thats already almost 300 parts.(and this escape module is around 150 somehow)

Make it one pod for everyone.

I flew an old friend (AVRO Kraken) today. Still one hell of a prop fighter.
But I retuned it using FAR.

Why the heck did I wait so long to use FAR?? The plane is more maneuverable, faster, and precise (gained 20m/s, maintains speed up to 8G's of maneuvering).
This is a plane I don't want to go up against now, and I built the damn thing.

7rNqGbE.pngJhx7gWC.png

My career first Duna crew arrived and made two landings - first at an anomaly (no pics, despite being certain I took at least 2), then after refuelling, they landed at the just-landed Lancer-Duna base. 

Duna Lander moving to dock with the Duna crew rest station to stretch their legs & refuel (once the tanker arrives)

sTNGeLv.png?1

Second Duna landing - I actually came down almost 800m away, happily the Lancer base has wheels.

kUJAhAS.png?1

First sunrise on Duna

b7W6WuQ.png?1

I also disposed of a satellite over Duna that wasn't really needed any more. 

z3F6A3F.png?2

@Hotel26I will try to get the Dash rebuilt with stock parts - right now it needs Buffalo & tweak scale, possibly others.  

Update - That was easier than I thought, only 2 non-stock parts.  It is built with fuel in the wings courtesy of a MM patch, I'm not certain if that will show up or not in download.  If it doesn't, the range will be pretty short.  If it does show, it can cruise from KSC to the desert strip & back without refueling.

https://kerbalx.com/cavscout74/CSP-01S-Dash

Edited by Cavscout74

I'm not quite sure where it came from, but I discovered I had 2000 science points to spend on new tech, so I unlocked the Rapier engine.  To celebrate, I launched a Lightning II spaceplane with drop tanks & pilot reentry pod for eventual transfer to Laythe.

Circularizing orbit.  The drop tanks are empty for launch and will be filled from an orbital refueling station for extra dV on the Jool transfer.  The large inner tanks were an experiment - I wasn't sure if they'd survive takeoff, as they extend just behind the gear and have very little ground clearance.

5RMjPVY.png?1

Hmmm, do I REALLY trust this contraption to reenter Kerbin?

AqOVVSU.png?1

I guess I'm committed now

lY7mPUA.png?1

Oooo, shiny!!

97N3cN1.png?1

On 12/25/2018 at 2:50 PM, Ho Lam Kerman said:

You asked for it.

7rot8mU.jpg

16.8 meters above the surface of Tylo! (See KER readouts, or where my cursor is pointing.)

This is a flyby, meaning that I'm actually going at Tylo escape velocity! Extremely hairy maneuver!

(Video when I get home- I'm not in my home country, and the WiFi at the hotels aren't exactly good.)

It dosent really count when you hyper edited it...

5 hours ago, Space Kadet said:

It dosent really count when you hyper edited it...

I already had a probe around Jool, and I just used HE to get it on an intercept trajectory with Tylo since the original probe didn't have enough fuel. The fine-tuning and actual maneuver were performed by hand.

Which means I do have the piloting skills, just not the time and effort to send a new probe to Jool.

(Plus, I do have a fanfic going on in my save, and I do have stuff I plan on doing in the next few days, so I could not afford to send a new probe to Jool the conventional way just for the flyby.)

I made a bunch of Solid Rocket Motors for my mod, but they all use Wood, yes Wood, over Solid Fuel.

I spent hours tuning and tweaking them and figured how to make a custom resource called wood.

These rockets are cheap, higher TWR than their SRB counterparts, but lower efficiency (the Seperaton .V has 96 Isp at ASL) and low duration.