What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

9 minutes ago, Xurkitree said:

figured how to make a custom resource called wood

Well you could make them a byproduct of any greenhouse mod (the one that usually provides food and oxygen for many life support mod). Let's just say, as Kerbal uses food, some of the leftover waste is reprocessed into dried cellulose. Just pretend that there's enough wood output from an orbital greenhouse to fill an entire SRB in the first place (maybe Kerbin's vegetation is as explody as their inhabitant's contraption?)

Edited by ARS

Begun operations to deorbit various pieces of debris by commissioning the Kerbin System Orbital Debris Deorbiter, or KSODD.

Launch didn't go as planed, as one of the outboard engines failed, which resulted in needing to deactivate its opposite.  It managed to make it to orbit still, as it was one of the few engine out rockets in the fleet.

The first piece of debris to remove was a SSTO that failed to deorbit properly.

vKuBVfE.png

Once it was captured and the orbit adjusted, it was released as KSODD burned to remain in orbit.

Fr7F8OR.png

I went out of my way to carve out a rare gem and I spent all afternoon yesterday making sure it could meet the request behind it and more. I normally totally agree with @RocketPCGaming philosophy of not building spaceplanes that can go beyond LKO by themselves (its aero and air-breathing parts all become dead weight). But for the purpose of this plane it indeed needs to be convincingly be able to carry itself and a worthwhile payload fraction between planets. I've landed this vertically on Duna and Tylo with just 15 tons, and successfully launched off of them, but it easily brings 45 tons to LKO, its jet engines don't need Oxygen, and there is well-placed built-in ISRU.

Building this reminded me why I personally avoid the OPT Dark Drive. Apart from reserving it for my biggest and best builds, it's awkward to place on a plane, it provokes rogue body lift, and I refuse to Tweakscale it.

gOUgpQm.jpg

LKwcV6d.jpgwSLzWFi.jpg lqzh5uC.jpgyT7150H.jpg

Today i built this small spaceplane. It attempts to replace the one I built several months ago for one of my trophy ships, the H.M.S. Manta. Sadly it seems inferior to its predecessor (short on TWR all the way) but it fits the "Manta Star" theme. I may revisit this.

KnRqtsL.jpg

Z87e832.jpgT3sYKB6.jpg

To complete the last of the Giving Aircraft a Purpose speed/altitude contracts - specifically, fly to 60km & return to land contact - I modified my Phoenix high speed jet with a Rapier and a little oxidizer.  The original form with a Whiplash had already blasted through the Mach 4 contract with ease.  I started from the desert strip again, and was greeted by a rather striking, stormy sunset:

hzESUe0.png?1

I reached 65km easily & landed at KSC without breaking anything.  I think I could've actually made orbit with it if I'd flown a better ascent profile..  Then I hopped over to check on my brave Duna explorers - apparently, they are going through a bit of a sand storm:

o6HQDg0.png?1

Other than that, I passed a lot of time, did a few minor contract and finally sent a Dres station off for a future manned mission:

SfKPW6h.png?1

Trialling the Dunamite II rover.

4otYmII.jpg

kHhOwOL.jpg

"Go on then, drive it out."

Turns out there are a few scenarios when someone will need to get out and push. On the whole it's pretty good for 1.4 tons, but I may yet abandon the entire idea of a tiny rover and build something big and stupid instead. With the Bon Voyage autopilot, it's completely feasible to deliver a rover on remote control and have it meet the kermanned lander when it arrives.

I finally landed on Duna after launching the mission in August. First was 4 passes aerobraking before circularizing. The first pass also bled some speed with an encounter with Ike. Total DV to spent capturing into orbit was around 200m/s. I was probably conservative on the aerobraking by only aiming for a Pe of 32-35Km on each pass. 

aJsJZsP.png

First landing was with one of the rovers. 

C7ZM0GD.jpg

Q9nryIr.png

Finally the Mission Accomplished photo.

Ib7g4ja.png

Today, I got another round of unmanned craft headed for Jool & had a Moho satellite arrive.

First, I launched a very large relay satellite into a a polar orbit around Kerbin

9OEgFM5.png?1

Then I sent off a large comm relay to Jool

7ZxbVNV.png?1

And a Lightning II spaceplane to Laythe for future manned missions.  Pictured here jettisoning the inboard drop tanks

W2H477f.png?1

Moho Polar Observer arrived & took up a 10km polar orbit around Moho, primarily to send back photos of the Mohole area to help KSC staff pick out a landing area for future manned missions.

shOUXcV.png?1

And finally, a double orbital rescue by a claw-equipped Lightning I spaceplane, pictured here on short final returning to KSC

tOKZS4Y.png?1

I'm trying to reproduce an issue reported on KJR about a dreadful frame-rate dropping using the 1.6 stock Dynawing and my really potato mamini 2011, happily (or not) without success. :D 

But then this happened:

screenshot18.jpg

That freaking fuel tank did a reentry better than my own space shuttles, Krakens!! This piece of poo survived the reentry and hit the ocean at less than 300 m/s. Unscratched!! Had I put some airbrakes and chutes on the damned thing, I could had recovered it! :D 

Totally uncontrollable - the freaking thing had flown all by itself. And better than me, damn it! :sticktongue:

Full screenshot gallery here:

http://ksp.lisias.net/screenshots/2018/12/29_Dynawink-FuelTalk-from-Hell/

(and yes… I'm ditching Google. I will host my own content from now on) 

Edited by Lisias
tyops, tyops, tyops everywehre!!!

Bill, while delivering some Kerbal staff to the Dessert Airfield as part of the CommNet Dish Inspection Challenge,  overestimated the turning radius of the aircraft he was piloting and had a taxiing mishap trying to park too close to the tower.  He then tried to get out and push and discovered he can pass right through landing gear!

Y3josJh.png

KeaBMSM.png

Edited by Klapaucius

Well… This was fun. :D

I'm testing KJR/L and TweakScale for some reported issues (perhaps a combination of both?) so I TweakScaled some 1.6 parts, hooked them on a slim rocket and give it a ride over KSP. :)

Issues appears to be solved - my piloting skills, however…. :sticktongue:

screenshot24.jpg

More here:
http://ksp.lisias.net/screenshots/2018/12/29_KJRL-TweakScale-Testing/screenshot24#main-img

Set up a new airport at a place I called Jedford.  (That's right: I just name 'em now after the kerb that plants the flag for me...)

This is a PaxJet on its way somewhere...

7X9HXp3.png

Only its mother could love this airplane, but I do love it, most asssuredly.

Very sleek and clocked 1,283 m/s at 18.3km this trip.

It takes 3 Kerbals to make this plane fly: a pilot, a mechanic and a surveyor.  It goes in and out of the big airports just dandy, but its long extremities need a delicate and expert touch on the controls on even a slightly uneven surface, even while taxiing.

That's actually OK with me because it was designed for the long-haul passenger route, hub-to-hub.  If it could go anywhere, it would put the commuter pilots out of work.  That's where the surveyor comes in...

Over Lake Tahoe inbound for Heavenly Airport:

tCBbvvm.png

(How well do you know your home planet?  First caller to recognize and respond with the coordinates of Lake Tahoe gets a free Paxjet...  [does not include surveyor])

Edited by Hotel26

7 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

Set up a new airport at a place I called Jedford.  (That's right: I just name 'em now after the kerb that plants the flag for me...)

This is a PaxJet on its way somewhere...

7X9HXp3.png

Only its mother could love this airplane, but I do love it, most asssuredly.

Very sleek and clocked 1,283 m/s at 18.3km this trip.

It takes 3 Kerbals to make this plane fly: a pilot, a mechanic and a surveyor.  It goes in and out of the big airports just dandy, but its long extremities need a delicate and expert touch on the controls on even a slightly uneven surface, even while taxiing.

That's actually OK with me because it was designed for the long-haul passenger route, hub-to-hub.  If it could go anywhere, it would put the commuter pilots out of work.  That's where the surveyor comes in...

Over Lake Tahoe inbound for Heavenly Airport:

tCBbvvm.png

(How well do you know your home planet?  First caller to recognize and respond with the coordinates of Lake Tahoe gets a free Paxjet...  [does not include surveyor])

I don't know the  name of it, but I am pretty sure that is on the large continent where there are two large lakes connected by a narrow river.  This lake is the western one.

A few pretty screenshots from my Commnet Dish Inspection mission:

1. Speeding across the northern lands from Baikerbanur to Northern Station

rw6a86a1zze6a15zg.jpg

2. Damn, it's really cloudy up here, in the northern regions

a7p87q4gwnfqk61zg.jpg

3. ...But once you clear these clouds, you get to see some pretty aurorae

w6e924i9wth5263zg.jpg

I MADE IT TO DUNA!!!!

Woot!

(Lol)

First time actually making it there; and it's turning out to be a nearly flawless mission. I'm currently in Phase One of the project; Ike Exploration. 

Aerobrake at Duna went well; Duna Hustle - a VERY long ship with two Science Labs, two Rover Max's (Easily the best thing I've built in here yet...)slowed into a decent elliptic orbit catching Ike on the second pass. The Mothership is currently in a comfy 25K orbit, Val, Bill and two Scientists enjoying the free space as Jenny and Aisel dune-buggy their way across the Western Mountain Range. 

Spoiler

AEF15169FD060F50C2C469B86176871ABE404650

De-Orbit was picture-perfect and the Rover Max is a rugged beastie. The girls have so far collected massive science from the WMR, Midlands and Lowlands and are currently racing southward to line themselves up with Duna Hustle's orbital path.

Not quite sure if Max has enough thrust to make it back into RV, but I'm pretty sure.(479 m/s ought to be plenty.) If not - they can stay on the surface and do Ike missions until ol' Gene comes up with a rescue plan.

Spoiler

1BF6C0E62283B4BD5D69815AACDC9E5E7684319C

Phase Two will be the second Rover Max's departure from Ike. Gilfred and Bill will separate from Duna Hustle and burn for Duna, extend their inflatable heat shield and descend to the surface in their sealed pod; hopefully descending under parachute and minimal thrust. Their goal: to conduct surveys while the mothership begins grinding science.

Once Phase Two appears successful, Hustle will land on Duna, recover the crew and all that juicy science and grind away at it until the return window arrives.

Then hope like HECK she has enough Delta-Vee to get home. ;-)

I'll keep you posted. :)

Edited by NorthernDevo