What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Apparently my Jooldiver program is cursed in this career.  The original one lost communications moments before entering Jool's atmosphere so all the atmospheric science was lost.  Since a new window is approaching, I decided to launch a Jooldiver II.  I put a stronger antenna on it, plus numerous other satellites with their own relay antennas are now in the Jool system.  During launch, passing 20 km, Kerbal Launch Failure kicked in for only the 3rd time in this career, failing a radial decoupler & causing the launch vehicle to spin out of control.  I decoupled the payload & attempted to recover it, but still had a hard splashdown & lost everything.  I'm debating if I even want to attempt a Jooldiver III.

Other than that, I managed to put a second Laythe spaceplane into orbit in preparation for the transfer window.  Jeb decided to fly the entire ascent & docking/refueling from the pilot reentry pod (mounted on the back, inside the fairing)

pdye1FH.png?1

Reentry went well & was quite close to home - I still managed to get Jeb wet though, landed a few meters away from shore, just north of KSC

RXyka0J.png?1

I also launched a Vall station

uWqxEWj.png?1

I also sent up & docked the tug that will transfer my floating base to Laythe. 

2SfsXnA.png?1

Finally, I tinkered with a amphibious ore mining rover.  It's primary purpose is to delivery fresh ore to the floating base for the greenhouse to make into snacks.  Previously, I've used an ore boat that was just barely able to make the drill contact the ground, and barely held enough ore to refill the base.  This new rover will be an improvement in every way.

f9pVASn.png?1

Everything you need in one handy package - land & water operations, ore drills, radiators, RTG & LF/Air power generator, micro-ISRU to keep the LF topped off & KAS fuel lines

PZtDfWF.png?1

It needs a little work on buoyancy though - this is in the water with a full load of ore & LF/O. 

RTBLZGA.png?1

50 minutes ago, putnamto said:

@Geonovast are you familiar with the skull kid?

No, should I be?

I'm rather disappointed.  I put Dres and Ike in the same orbit, except Ike was retrograde.  I then put a small base on Ike, and watched Dres come in!

1d0screenshot47.png

835screenshot48.png

b11screenshot52.png

Annnnnd then...

NOTHING HAPPENED.

b2cscreenshot53.png

a5dscreenshot54.png

;.;

Edited by Geonovast

Today's visitor:

A spy jumped the fence with a camera.

We shot him asked him friendly to leave. :ph34r:

~declassified taken footage~

DNijX31.png

Lx9ibvp.png

Yeah, we shot him, but remember, he "shot" first...

This next video is still classified, so please don't click.

Thank you.

Edited by Triop

45 minutes ago, Xurkitree said:

I started work on making Starkiller base, check it out!

unknown.png?width=400&height=225

I have a bad feeling about this...

Sorry, couldn't Resistance... rofl.gif

Okay, I'll stop now.

On a more on-topic note... launched the second vehicle to my Minmus station...

2oUYbfZ.png

Gotta love BDB.

Also, tested a tilt-rotor design made of Airplanes Plus parts in an attempt to meet the requirements for the Kerbal Express Airlines "Hopper" class... Those darn KT-6 tilt rotors are horribly inefficient AND cannot get above 130 m/s to save their lives. There is NO way I can use them in a viable entry into that class... I lack both the speed and the range to meet required performance figures.

Edited by MaverickSawyer

Further reports from the "oops" department!

Jeb & Bob made the programme's second landing on The Mun! Landing in the Highlands on the Eastern limb of The Mun, Jeb had to burn rather more fuel than expected in order to find a level landing spot. Bob took a huge amount of Science from the local area, and Jeb took the ship back to Orbit. Delta-V analysis shows that there's not enough left in the tank to get home.

So Jeb pushes the orbit up, ending up at around 500,000 km, while a rendezvous craft is prepared at KSC with Val and Bill to the rescue.

Val swoops around and makes the rendezvous, Bill installs a docking port onto Jeb's ship and the two craft dock nose to nose.

At this point we realize another mistake: Can't crossfeed fuel through a heat shield.

After some thought, Jeb jettisons his empty stage, while Val charts up the return to Kerbin.

We've now got a problem; we can get a Kerbin intersect, no problem. But we'd end up with both pods on the same re-entry vector, and likely in the atmosphere at the same time and no guarantee they would stay close enough to both be in physics and not get deleted.

So Val sets up an elliptical orbit, 90km Pe, 1million km Ap, and the tracking station calls up to orbit, flash for the attention of Dabro. It's time for one of our failures to become a success.

Flashback to a few days earlier: Dabro had been tasked with launching a Mun rescue mission, but a build fault with the new launcher lower stage left her with not enough Delta-V for the job. Mission control scrapped the mission but held the ship - with the remaining fuel - in LKO.

So now Dabro charts an intersect with Val and Jeb's pair, gets to them at their mutual Pe and starts to coast outward in mutual orbit. Once they're approaching Ap, Val and Jeb undock, and Dabro couples up to Jeb's ship, before making a retrograde burn to put Jeb - and herself - on a re-entry trajectory. Uncoupling, Dabro turns and burns back to catch and dock with Val.

Val and Dabro watch Jeb's re-entry, and when they get around to Ap again, they do the same maneuver to put Val onto re-entry.

Finally, on the third time around, Dabro puts herself onto re-entry. All three teams make it back to KSC and break out the beer.

Oh, and the Science Department gets nearly 300 science points to play with.

Edited by Espatie

Daily grind - making money by taking recovery and tourism missions.

Yawn....

My re-entry accuracy's improving though... :D

53A60573C1DEEE6FACCE8C78C4746FFD89E70E63

Meanwhile...

Back on the Mun, young Teory on her first Science mission - this one to the heights overlooking Farside Crater - took quite a nifty selfie with Kerbin on the horizon:

F6A1E04203DBC4B2FDCAE5A9C447848926858FA4

A nice souvenir for a promising young scientist.

On the way home, the crew got the chance to view a rare and thrilling event:

CE643618C5706E45EE46FDF2BF71E5CC46D5F428

They stayed in the shadow of the eclipse the entire way in; allowing for quite a dramatic shot; if I say so myself: ;)

6A87AE420A2F7E69B46DEE8A635433B0797BEBC7

Edited by NorthernDevo

On 1/18/2019 at 3:41 AM, Cavscout74 said:

I didn't have enough pitch control to get the nose up,

"Not enough wing to stay in the [very thin] atmosphere...", methinks...

On 1/18/2019 at 6:44 AM, Martian Emigrant said:

Though the ship always rotates

I've never built a centrifugal habitat and I admired the look of the Lone Star...  (Nicely done!)  I have a question about the Twin Star, tho...  about which axis does it rotate?

On 1/18/2019 at 4:17 AM, capi3101 said:

Strange Cargo      Necessary Evil's

I looooove your imaginative naming.  (It had to be said...)

Edited by Hotel26

hahahahahahah, im about to cry

i tried and failed repeatedly to land this on the mun, then i did out of a stroke of luck, then moved it to my mun base at a whopping speed of .4ms finnally got their, hooked er up, started cleaning up the parts i didnt need anymore and the kraken decides that the fuel tank is now a baloon.

well thats three hours of my life im not getting back.
unknown.png
unknown.png

Eve's poles are creepy at night...

uWxk7PZ.jpg

So once the sun rises, the team heads southwards and upwards. Quite a lot of upwards.

XU36Ovq.jpg

Then lots of downwards. Then upwards again.

KaUlWYW.jpg

And a little more upwards... Fortunately Scorpio seems to have even more gears available, and continues to cope with the increasingly fierce slopes.

Except perhaps that one we can see ahead. (Because rocky textures always mean steep terrain.) That one we might need to find a route around.

IzcHAPO.jpg

And so our four explorers go into the history books as the first to ascend Eve's greatest mountain.

(Annoyingly, the peak isn't actually in the Olympus biome. According to KSP's map, the peak is about 400m down the slope again, but kerbals never let facts get in the way of a good narrative.)

((Also the altimetry map goes to 7200m, but I couldn't be bothered working out which pixel I needed to aim at, so not-Olympus will do.))

5 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

I've never built a centrifugal habitat and I admired the look of the Lone Star...  (Nicely done!)  I have a question about the Twin Star, tho...  about which axis does it rotate?

Hi.

The names came after they got created.

The original plot was to build a hotel and land it on Dres. It was called the "Dres Hotel and Resort". Just to show Dres some love.

The Twin Star was just me trying to build bigger without building anything new.

The Twin Star rotates along the towers axis. It does it continuously. I will hit the warp to make it stop but it starts immediately again.

I think the ship warps (You can't see it in normal time but it is manifest in physic warp) probably on the edge of summoning the Kraken and that induces a phantom force...Me think.

Or maybe it as something to do with Val driving from one of the towers....Making it asymmetric?

I don't think the Lone Star was rotating....I will have to go and check now.

Talking about the Kraken...

1 hour ago, Torn4dO said:

Today is the first time that the water tower got in my way ^^

XyhPWgF.jpg

Nobody knows all the ways to summon the Kraken but that is one of them. For sure. Definitively.

How in the Kraken did it load without exploding?

Try launching from the runway maybe?

ME

I finally downloaded 1.6.1.  I must say I am happy for the basic information readouts to finally be stock.  I question their accuracy on my shuttle however.  Those boosters definitely burn longer than 50 seconds, so I have no idea what it is referring to.  Note the TWR and delta-v for the 2nd to last stage (marked 1) are not accurate, as the SMEs are shut off after ET separation.

0H9k3t0.jpg

I've also been attempting to record some nice testing clips for a mission video.  KSP is not cooperating.

7vyeQ3C.png

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

The new 1.6 delta-V calculator's toolbar button in the build areas show Kerbin's sea-level delta-V for most stages.

If you click it, a menu appears where you can change the calculations in the stage selections to show altitude-specific dV and then vacuum dV, which is probably what you're looking for.

21 minutes ago, OrbitsR4Sissies said:

The new 1.6 delta-V calculator's toolbar button in the build areas show Kerbin's sea-level delta-V for most stages.

If you click it, a menu appears where you can change the calculations in the stage selections to show altitude-specific dV and then vacuum dV, which is probably what you're looking for.

I saw that. But atmospheric pressure only changes the TWR and Dv, not the burn time.

Anyways, testing confirms the boosters burn for about a minute and a half while still reserving fuel for their own recovery, so no problems with the vehicle.

4UassWQ.jpg

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

6 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

Wish I could take credits for the four names I generally use that have stuck - Strange Cargo, Next Objective, Necessary Evil and Laggin' Dragon. Those were originally all nicknames for four of the Silverplate B-29s of the 509th Composite Group, 393d Bomb Squadron during World War II. Over the years I've used some of the other names employed by the squadron - Some Punkins, Full House, Straight Flush, Jabit III, The Great Artiste, Bockscar, Enola Gay...

Why those four in particular? I just like the sound of them. A bit morbid? Definitely. Same goes for naming my refinery outposts after the sites of major oilfield disasters.

Others are meant as in-jokes. Non Caseus? Latin for "no cheese". Non Mentha? "No mint". Good names for outposts at Mun and Minmus respectively, IMHO.

Anyway...

(1.5.1)  Yesterday afternoon's activities began with the design of the Gumdrop 7, a craft designed solely to land a surface scanner on Duna. Printing of a series of these craft is now scheduled to take place from LSV House Harkonnen over Duna after Harkonnen completes its latest Pink Noise 7 communications probe carrier, which is destined for Ike. The goal is to find a suitable site for the establishment of the Enchova Central refinery outpost somewhere on the Dunan surface. I have an initial survey point selected, but history has shown me that I really can't rely on orbital scans to get that job done...

Strange Cargo entered low orbit over Minmus and affected a successful docking at space station Minmusport; en route to the station, the Dunacomm Foxtrot communications probe was set into its final position, and printing of the Crater Maker 7 8-passenger lander completed at the Non Mentha Yards over Minmus. The Crater Maker's rendezvous with Minmusport was set and it arrived about twenty minutes after Strange Cargo docked. Shortly after the Crater Maker arrived, the Dunacomm Echo probe reached its final position, finishing up the communications network over Duna. Once that was done, Jeb along with tourists Kelsey and Sanler Kerman embarked on the Crater Maker, which then made its way to the Deepwater Horizon outpost on the surface. Jeb went aboard just long enough to finish out an expansion contract at DH, after which he went back aboard the Crater Maker and the lander returned safely to Minmusport. Refueling shots took place, after which Strange Cargo departed Minmusport for Kerbin.

Only a couple of other things happened. Scientist Ribsted Kerman and the South Base outpost near KSC completed a Soil Analysis for contract, and I checked in on the construction of the General Electric 7 XM jump-starting craft at the Non Caseus Yards over Mun. Owing to a delivery error the outpost didn't receive all the Rocket Parts it needed to complete the GE, and as a result the probe wasn't complete like I thought it would be. The necessary parts were shot up to Non Caseus from the Piper Alpha outpost on the Munar surface and construction resumed, putting things about two days behind schedule.

The late afternoon and evening were spent with the transition from 1.5.1 to 1.6.1. A fair number of the makers of the mods I use could stand to update their online versioning information; KSC-AVC was so full on the initial load up that I couldn't close the window. The bulk of my mods are working in 1.6.1, though KSP-AVC is reporting that the version of Extraplanetary Launchpads I've got is incompatible with 1.6.1, something I've not yet had time to investigate yet let alone attempt to rectify. Initially I had issues with OSE Workshop as well, but it turned out I had downloaded a version of the mod from like KSP v1.2 or so; installation of a more up-to-date version took care of that on the quick-fast. AG Extended also wasn't working at first but it turned out I'd failed to download a dependency; once that was done it fired right up. I also may have uncovered an issue with the Pathfinder mod but I want to be sure that it's a bonafide bug before I go pester Angel about it. Mod testing will continue probably throughout the weekend as time allows, but I hope to get back to my career save as soon as I can tell whether all the crucial stuff is working or not. 

2 hours ago, Martian Emigrant said:

Talking about the Kraken...

Nobody knows all the ways to summon the Kraken but that is one of them. For sure. Definitively.

How in the Kraken did it load without exploding?

Try launching from the runway maybe?

It's been almost a year since i've last seen the kraken. The ring works just fine, I only needed to place it a bit higher.

See, fixed it:
hqzKeYo.jpg

Now to launch this somehow.... ouch...

Edited by Torn4dO

19 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Messing around with Kopernicus for the first time.  Given my current playstyle, I want to play in a universe with a lot of bodies very close together.

I may have misplaced a 0.

9e6screenshot2.png

fbfscreenshot5.png

Funny timing. Scott Manley just released a youtube video about something like this: