What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Got a great start to a creative writing story and wrote 506 words in 45 minutes.

oh, you mean in KSP, ok

I launched the mark 2 lander can’s rover variant using 4 separations, covered the MK1-2 Cockpit in radial decoplers and reentered a Kerbal on a command seat attached to a structural panel.

Took a few hours of investigation, but my 1.4.x career seems to now be updated to 1.6.x :)

IuYsbbd.jpg

Which means it must be time to continue exploring the Ciro and Grannus systems as provided by Galileo's Planet Pack and Grannus Expansion Pack. As luck would have it, the nuclear VTOL 'Spicehunter' I used on Gratian about 4 months ago is perfectly happy on Augustus, so that's a big part of the expedition covered. All I need now is an Augustus escape vehicle, something to handle visits to Otho's other two moons, and a transfer stage that will get them all there and back again.

...that sounds difficult.

Bring it on :D 

Edited by eddiew

Minmus flag planting contract - check

Two Tourist contract to Minmus - check

Minmus surface rescue contract - check

Four new crew members to train - check

Keep one seat open on 6-seat lander for rescuee -  Um........

ceEaUV4.png?1

Using 50% thrust for the transfer to the station with rescuee hanging on the ladder9LaOj1e.png?1

It took a lot of 4x physics warp, but I got a rendezvous with Minmus Station.  I sent the trainee engineer over to tend to the station till I can send a ship up to retrieve him and took the rescuee back to Kerbin.  I have 2 more trainees that haven't been to Minmus yet, so I'm not going to have to waste a mission just to retrieve him.

aB1cUyq.png

Lander returning home

doHkWlc.png?1

I sent a rocket with a payload of 2 tourists in their own remote guidance "command pod" and a cargo bay containing an engine I plan to test on the Mun.

Gkj5STv.jpg

The main engine for the lifter that delivered the tourists and test engine was salvaged.

iONNcOD.png

This is what it looks like before it transposes in orbit above the Mun

kMuQvQB.png

I forgot to provide seating for one of the kerbals once I had ditched the tourist pod and the engine, so the entire ensemble is coming along for the entire trip. I should still have plenty of fuel!

ioGBokq.png

I have backup saves if this whole disaster is too dumb for me to salvage. Only time will tell. It won't be for a lack of effort on my part!

I also sent my first manned expedition to Jool in my current career.

Here is Jeb flying a Lightning spaceplane up to rendezvous with the Babylon for the trip

wDwATL2.png?1

Farewell, Kerbin!   We won't be seeing you again for several years. 

9JuK1f2.png?1

There was also a fleet of outbound ships all headed for Jool.  And finally, my career first Eeloo probe arrives & takes up orbit around that icy planet:

HPJqT8A.png?1

gDqTVl8.png?1

I made a cute ssto to minmus. It went better than usual with my sstos, at least in the beginning. I usually need to relaunce a bunch of times to tweak things so that i can get into orbit, but this one worked first try. It had a little to few batteries to be able to land and takeoff from minmus so i had to do lithobreaking on landing and a running start on takeoff to let the panels recharge as much as possible. But i made it :D

qjwzLvr.jpg

17 minutes ago, Eriksonn said:

I made a cute ssto to minmus.

I like the minimalistics, great job. &) Small critic, I can see the wings pointing out a bit, maybe you can place them a little bit further back or inward without interfering with flight dynamics ?

(fancy talking here)

Edited by Triop

A couple glamor shots landing on the Mun.

5AVTo56.png

2DQCt45.png

I tested the stowed Thud Rocket Engine landed, did low orbit temperature readings in a few locations, planted a flag, conducted and transmitted science, among other tourist contractual obligations fulfilled. So far I have 22 contract objectives completed and I'm saving the remaining ones until I land my SSTO shuttle back on the runway so I can view them all at once. The 300,000 spent hauling fuel into orbit should have an okay outcome considering it pays for 2 round trips and this is only a single trip. I can decide what to do with my tourism business after the space dust settles.

Transposed to ditch the cargo bay at first opportunity. Will attempt an aerobrake at Kerbin if fuel runs low.

fmeBbhg.jpg

EDIT: Sorry about the ping Erik. Having technical difficulties. I like your SSTO a lot. It doesn't have mining gear stashed away on it somewhere does it? It it makes it to Minmus and back on a single tank that's insane.

Edited by MisterKerman

I found a Green Monolith!

Waaay up near the North Pole; what IS it with KSP sending me back to this awful ground over and over?! :rolleyes:

Naturally, the mission didn't quite go as planned....

First of all, my tiny ship had to drift over some seriously gnarly terrain until I found a spot that looked flat enough to land. Touchdown was...less than spectacular lol - the ship fell over and took out the antenna. Fortunately I'd retracted the solar panels for safety. 

As the vessel slid down the hill, I was able to retract the gear and get it going downhill butt-first; hitting a flatter spot allowed enough momentum to lift the craft to vertical. Raise the gear again and voila! Just like I planned!

E9457C3A1E68F32B3B46B95833E38806C7ACBAA0

Now - I need you to look carefully at this image, because now it's time for...

The Kerbal Facepalm Department

So - Elbas climbs down from her ship, shaken - not stirred. With the nav-point she heads for the Monolith. It must be close; I got the Milestone message.

After a jet-pack flight of about 500m - and after ragdolling into yet another pit - Elbas decided the nav-point had to be off a little, so she turned around and jetted back to the ship to recharge.

A long ragdoll landing caught her tumbling to this point and...well...

73CC8D527CBA68E1423CE2B47C94F48224C02DF6

Yep - tumbled to a stop right at the foot of the monolith. And if you look up in that first image, you'll SEE the blasted thing watching Elbas rolling around in the dirt.

D367BF12AB319E1DB3FA8C5861C22FA5ED6FA39A

Well; at least I found the thing. Got "Heavy Landing" out of it too!

Now to Minmus to find the next one!

Well - now to get Elbas home first...I didn't notice until right now that the botched landing had taken out the Terrier. She's not going anywhere until a rescue ship can come in. Fortunately she's got a couple weeks of supplies so she should be OK.

Edited by NorthernDevo

9 hours ago, Triop said:

Yes, this is happening . . .

The safest rover designs ensure that whatever the orientation of the vehicle, the only thing that can contact the ground is either the wheels, or metal frames/panels/i-beams with massive impact tolerance. It's fun to flip out at 50m/s and not take any damage :) 

8ymwlsn.jpg

Built and launched this thing a couple days ago. Figured I'd make a bit of a shift in how I handle things getting crew to and from craft within the Kerbin system. Normally, what I would do is send an expendable rocket with the crew pod/craft on top to the destination station/ship, let them do their thing, then fly them back. Obviously this has the flaws of using more resources and materials, not to mention having to design and launch a new rocket each time I want to send a Kerbal somewhere.

This is my solution to it. Instead of launching a crewed craft directly to the destination, I instead launch a spaceplane to the station (500km might be too high though for round-trip spaceplane flights), drop the kerbals off, then use nuclear thermal inflatable crew pods (in 3 or 6 man varieties) to shuttle them further on. Liquid Fuel is fairly easy and cheap to manufacture in space, so keeping an ample fuel supply set up for the pods will be a simple affair. Just in case though, the station comes equipped with a basic LF/OX/Monoprop fuel supply for all types of visiting craft.

To the left and the right on the C-arms, past the centrifuges, there's 5 docking ports, 4 opposing ports and 1 in-line port. The opposing ports (8 in all) host the 3 man pods, the 2 in-line ports host the 6-man (or larger if I really want to use the 2.5m class inflatable pods) pods.

The spaceplanes dock to the arms holding the pair of 3-man inflatable globes. The Clamp Sr ports are for large rigid craft either coming from kerbin or in from the muns. Not shown here, beneath the station is an octo-girder port so I can attach a fuel module to it for additional onboard capacity.

As for the pods themselves:

1Z7FyQD.jpg

Thats the large pod.

6puSkj9.jpg

And thats the small. Both pods use either 2 or 4 mini-NTR engines (750 ISP) for propulsion, come with remote control, and have enough range to get anywhere within the Kerbin system and back. And since I dont have to worry about silly things like re-entry, I can optimize the design for space ops. The one big issue I have with these engines though is that the little buggers run very hot, and thus radiator mass both on the pods themselves and on the vessels they'll be working from is required. Fortunately, all of my stations have radiators on them, so dumping the waste heat after arrival is a trivial matter.