What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Screenie heavy today, y'all. Didn't necessarily intend that - just kind of happened.

Not a great deal to report for yesterday afternoon and evening. Tried out Stellaris; reminds me a lot of Wing Commander: Armada / Masters of Orion / Twilight Imperium. Talk about a game that could use a coherent manual of some kind - there are so many different nuances to it and little useful guidance to it all. Even the wiki is not terribly useful. That said, I enjoyed playing it and I think I could probably really get into it, given enough time.

My afternoon began with LSV House Harkonnen attaining a final 300 km orbit over Kerbin.

vbyWuJF.png
Take that, floppy rocket syndrome!!

Once she arrived in orbit, Harkonnen dropped a transfer stage she'd been carrying around for one of the two Minnow docking adapters she had been carrying (the other was actually hauling a Minnow 7 touring craft).

xfwRVZg.png
Tough to tell in this screenie - the aforementioned transfer stage is that Ant and Doughnut assembly there towards the lower right.

jgYs5TM.png
This looked at lot cooler when it was video. Just saying.

The transfer stage lowered its orbit to 100 km before conducting a final de-orbit burn. Didn't want to take the chance that it'd overheat on re-entry with all that was at stake.

9Kf7rjd.png
I think Squad has a few kinks to work out with their delta-V reporting code. The stage definitely had more fuel to burn at this point; it just wasn't burning it.

The transfer stage splashed down safely, and as intended, its retrieval fulfilled the current exploration contract for Ike.

NyLWTZD.png
Effin' Mun - always getting in the way of Kerbol. Really cramps what little style I might actually pretend to have.

1B4KVlr.png
Let this be a lesson to you, kiddies - hauling around garbage is (rarely, but sometimes) totally worth it when you've got access to Alcubierre Drives...

I'm now tasked with landing on Ike's surface, taking a walk on its surface and planting a flag, all of which correspond to my long-term plans for the colonization of the Duna/Ike SOI.

Harkonnen's resource stores were refilled via mass driver shots from the South Base outpost near KSC, at which point the craft began the scheduled printing of a TBD 7c base-seeding rover. Printing is expected to take 36 days to complete, which falls into the range of "not really acceptable". To help speed things up, I designed a module that would add a MOLE Bigby Workshop to the design; the current Dystopia Planitia 7 orbital shipyard design incorporates one of these workshops and they obtain far larger vessel productivity ratings than Harkonnen has to date, so I'm hoping this will speed things up tremendously. Unfortunately, it'll be a while before I can print one up given that all of the orbital docks are in use at the moment. I'm considering delivering one of these modules the old-fashioned way at this point; my program currently has √19M, so it's not like I'm short on funds or anything. The base design of the Muad’dib 7 Alcubierre Drive mothership (of which Harkonnen is one) was altered to incorporate the workshops, so they’ll be native to my third warp ship if I get to that point - I don't intend to interrupt the construction of LSV House Atreides to make the changes, not this far along into the construction process anyway. Atreides will also have to have a workshop installed later.

Only other thing that happened yesterday was the successful (if harrowing) landing of an Auk-II 8-passenger spaceplane at KSC 27, bringing back 6 tourists from space station Kerbinport and clearing one tourist contract. The replacement was also a tourist contract, with the tourists wanting to do flybys of Kerbol and Duna. I've got enough tourists and colonists wanting to head up at this point that an Auk VII 16-passenger spaceplane flight is scheduled for later in the day today. Strange Cargo will take nine colonists on to Mun. Four colonists are scheduled for delivery to the Deepwater Horizon outpost on Minmus; they'll have to wait for the return of Necessary Evil in a few days time. Finally, I've got three tourists heading up and one already at the station; three of these are going to hitch a ride aboard Harkonnen as soon as I can get another Minnow to the station.

So far this morning, I've checked in on the crew at Mun Outpost 1 near the Piper Alpha outpost on Mun. The crew survived the Munar night, so they all loaded aboard the TBD 7a rover that brought them out to the Mun Outpost 1 site and returned to Piper Alpha.

L4VT8bh.png
TBD rover crew cresting the final hill, approaching Piper Alpha just after Kerbol-rise.

The Mun Outpost 1 contract requires the installation of a lab module; at this point it's the only contract parameter unfulfilled. I had the bright idea to mount a lab on a Wisent 7 utility rover, print one up at Piper Alpha and just drive the thing out there to hook it up long enough with KAS cables to click the little check-box. Another five hours and that contract will be complete. I'll have to be careful with the drive - the way the lab's been mounted, the Wisent will have a very high center of mass, not something you want when you're driving on Mun. Or anywhere else for that matter...

I spent the morning testing a cheap 'n easy transfer vehicle to get a Rover Max to Minmus. After working the kinks out, I loaded 'er up and set out for the Mint Frosted Moon:

0B8033A48E194FB878AC44787D4E12AECCFFC35B

The Rover easily has the Delta-Vee to reach the return vehicle in orbit, and has sufficient science equipment to drain the orbiting Timbit dry on a single mission. It'll probably take me the majority of the weekend - after that I have to shut down KSP for a while and get some bloody writing done; I have deadlines to meet. :D

Edit: Whoops; what the return vehicle doesn't have is a probe core - oops! Well; no problem. It has 'hold' SAS and that's about all I need.

Rover Max approaching DOI over Minmus:

955A676969623F7435A452CF6686940EF52EC226

She needs to switch from forward to 'up' when kicking off the descent engine and switching to hover-jets, but it's a simple, well-practiced procedure by now. Following this mission I'll be able to actively prepare for the DunaStar mission, coming in about 6 months. 

Edited by NorthernDevo

6 hours ago, kurgut said:

So I manage this kind of thing :)

For now, it can take off easely, control it's VS Changes, as horizontal. But it's almost incontrolable in flight. Maybe some unwanted torque, or just not enough reaction wheels:sticktongue:

I... have a sudden urge to watch Ghibli films...

It was time to go to Duna as the Satellites were about to arrive there.

This is the station and lander Ready to depart, departing and in space waiting for intercept.

MKCsLAW.jpg

OhDYG81.jpg

6B4mFwh.jpg

Com Sats for Duna and Ike and a Scan Sat were about to arrive there.

This is the Com Sat for Ike about to enter the SOI

uwJlIDY.jpg

Passing Duna on the way to Ike

0yK2BZf.jpg

Ike Orbital Insertion burn.

NrWkKJX.jpg

Duna Com Sat Entering SOI

SRRnmct.jpg

Duna Orbital Insertion Burn

UBxRcjD.png

Both Sats Have Highly Elliptical orbits This is the orbit of the Duna Sat

aQ5bAPK.png

Scan Sat arrives in the SOI
FFokHKe.jpg

Ike Orbital Insertion Burn

fR5K5ED.jpg

Most of the ore at Ike is near the pole. Off to duna.

B1xaGuW.jpg

Some or almost at the equator.. close enough...

88 days for the station and lander to arrive.

Time to plan a miner.

D.

Edited by Daveroski

1 minute ago, MaverickSawyer said:

D'awww... Cute little lander. It actually looks good, compared to my usual "form follows function" aesthetic...

Thank you; I typically design my spacecraft more for aesthetics than functionality (but of course it helps that I am good at making spacecraft work well). If I need to increase the part count by 40% just to make a spacecraft look nice, I will do just that. As for the lander's size, I am still very early in this science mode save, and although I have unlocked rather a lot of technology (far more than I pretend in the thread), I like to make the series progress at a reasonable rate - which means starting with tiny space probes and working up.

And for the record, I do not think your lander looks bad. I have seen far worse designs. A reasonable amount of clutter is far better in my opinion than gluing 20 science experiments to the sides of a fuel tank.

First crew was sent to the Mun base camp, after a night sleeping, Bob was the waken up by the Sun.. Come on lazy Kerbz, go working making sweet science!

JaIzghr.png

Harpuk is still sweeping all the debris around..

QENbUjR.png

Because we don't to have a cluttered camp near the memorial, this'd be bad, and Kerbzpapers wouldn't like it (as lag too)!

OekwQaL.png

Getting the nod from mission control, the crew investigate the distress signal from beyond Jannah. Closing on on their target, they find - once again - a survivor from one of our less-competent competitors' space programs. Welcome Sakura, we look forward to all the fine work you'll be doing for us in the future. And yes I am finding pretty much 100% female kerbals in these missions. And yes I do customise their names for my own inscrutable purposes.

VukGXu6.jpg

Jannah has been an invitingly sparkly target from a distance, but as they get close, the crew can make out an unmistakable glitter. This can only mean one thing!

Dt7M4Rx.jpg

Stupid gold dust. Just one more heavy metal like we find in abundance on every body we visit.

...and they have idle animations now! Eeeeeeee, I'm so excited! Admittedly I had to wait a while to get multiple kerbals to randomly animate funny things at the right time, but maybe the answer is to have MOAR KERBALS. Perhaps I am being far too mundane with my plans for merely 5 per mission.

On 1/24/2019 at 12:35 AM, CatastrophicFailure said:

@eddiew I’m wondering what sort of generator you were using. All those names sound like, well, stage names at a very specific sort of entertainment venue... :unsure:

should have gone with Thunder Flash...

I just googled for mission name generators and rolled with it :)  Why, what's wrong with Pink Cougar and Bad Chrome? :blush:

This morning I finally started my Jool-5 mission, my first serious attempt since before KSP 1.0. I got 3/5ths of the way through.

And I only had problems with the Tylo and Vall landers. And the Laythe lander.

Hm.

Hopefully Pol and Bop will be a bit less ... ah ... interesting.

23 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I finally started my Jool-5 mission

Good luck!

I did a Jool-5 using several Wolfhound engines after MH was released.  That 412 ISP was magic.

How many landers are you going to use?  ISRU?

Happy landings!

34 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

Good luck!

I did a Jool-5 using several Wolfhound engines after MH was released.  That 412 ISP was magic.

How many landers are you going to use?  ISRU?

Happy landings!

No ISRU, one core "command pod" that is actually a chair on top of the smallest lander evar for Pol and Bop. That lander goes on top of a slightly bigger base to land on Vall, and a slightly-more-bigger base to land on Tylo. Then Laythe gets its own dedicated plane because Laythe.

I put 2 full mk1 LF tanks on the Laythe plane and still almost ran out of fuel. Tylo actually went okay but was scary on the descent, and on Vall I not only blew up the lander base (with a tiny bit of fuel in it) but also ran out of fuel with a couple dozen m/s left to orbit, due to having to burn straight up to miss a mountain due to my poor planning skills on the ascent (and the aforementioned exploded lander base) Luckily, Val got out and pushed and everything worked out in the end.

I also discovered that probeless craft with pilots remember their SAS settings so "hold prograde" actually held prograde while Val pushed from behind. Made the whole thing much easier.

3 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

D'awww... Cute little lander. It actually looks good, compared to my usual "form follows function" aesthetic...

iBjp7Bp.png

@septemberWaves & @MaverickSawyer Love the direction both of you are going with tiny landers. I've done a bunch in the past and am waiting to start a new 1.6.x game soon.

Have they fixed the bouncing landing gear? It seemed to be most pronounced on light landers in low gravity, since you've both put your little landers on Minmus that's probably a good test case

2 hours ago, eddiew said:

Why, what's wrong with Pink Cougar and Bad Chrome? :blush:

They fit right in with all that gold dust...

Saaaay...

collecting lady Kerbals of mysterious origin and questionable future prospects... crafty names... copious amounts of untracable and highly liquid wealth... don’t think I don’t see what you’re doing here. :huh:

You’re starting a nunnery, aren’t you? Tricky habit to get into, that.  

Back to design time! I'm trying to make a dragonfly style flying stuff. I tried many times doing it stock, but hell (HELLL!!!), how crappy it is (and of course I didn't succeded)!:confused:

But now, see that lift? Promising!!!

IE0uRb3.png

(it's in 0.1x warp speed to be able to see something :) )

2 hours ago, Tyko said:

@septemberWaves & @MaverickSawyer Love the direction both of you are going with tiny landers. I've done a bunch in the past and am waiting to start a new 1.6.x game soon.

Have they fixed the bouncing landing gear? It seemed to be most pronounced on light landers in low gravity, since you've both put your little landers on Minmus that's probably a good test case

I had zero issues, but I dialed the suspension all the way up. Can't vouch h for the automatic settings.