What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I started testing a new ssto for the K-prize thread, I may have gotten sidetracked by my cool looking design and decided turn it into a fighter jet. when  it crashed i found out that kerbals can breathe underwater.:)

4aT58cQ.jpgTVeXhVQ.jpg

Edited by lapis

The Augustinian exploration continues as Blind Dragon zigs north.

RDF1QFv.jpg

And then zags south.

xdERush.jpg

The bright star that is Ciro, the looming bulk of Otho and the small disk of Hephaestus seem to play a game of cosmic tag as the Blind Dragon flies westward.

r9jJkLw.jpg

And with that, we've hit every biome. Blind Dragon is an extremely efficient way of exploring this small, chilly moon, cruising around 250m/s and covering the distances between waypoints in just a few minutes.

I put together a new "Duna Flyer" aircraft, now all electric rather than mini-NERV powered.  On Kerbin, it stalls around 12 m/s and can take off around 15, so it should do better than my last attempt.  It uses 4 ducted electric fans for takeoff, but can shut off 2 for economy cruising.

wYUJucx.png?1

UPcQCBF.png?1

Seats 2, and has a small entryway to stash most of the science gear:

0HOaelx.png?1

However, since it is all electric, there was no way to get it to Duna the way I did last time, so a huge aerodynamic shell was needed to stick it into orbit. 

aZ450dr.png?1

Staging the shell:

93zd3d8.png?1

I also tinkered with a P-38 Lightning-style aircraft:

OCYIpq0.png?1

It still needs some work:

alNzDYY.png?1

Edited by Cavscout74
Spelling fix

1 hour ago, MaverickSawyer said:

@Cavscout74, what pack are the EDFs from? I must have them... XD

Dr Jet's Chop Shop, the "Lil Buzzer"    They are pretty small - using them on this is about the largest craft I've ever successfully used them on.

1 hour ago, Triop said:

Wow, that brings back memories.  Was the first game I got for the original Nintendo as a kid, after playing it in the arcade

33 minutes ago, Cavscout74 said:

Wow, that brings back memories.  Was the first game I got for the original Nintendo as a kid, after playing it in the arcade

I guess you where born in '74 ?

I was born on the 4th of juli, 1973.

How cool is it that we still play kids games ?

^_^

It's even cooler when you get the kids to play the same games you played - just yesterday my eldest got hacked off at my middle kid because he was having a bad run in the original Super Mario Bros and my middle was making fun of him over it. Going to raise me a trio of retro-gamers yet.

(My NES still works - got it hooked up in my living room...)

Still haven't gotten any of them interested in KSP yet...

Edited by capi3101

"What did I do?"

After a shakey launch, Jeb managed to circularise his orbit. Looking at the fuel guages he realised it'll be tight to get to the Mun AND home. KSC Control received Jeb's penultimate communication;

"I'm gonna be the first Kerbal on the goddam MUN! None of you can stop me."

Jeb's final communication some 36 hours later; "Yaaaa I'm here guys! Ummm can you send Val to come get me?"

Val's report reads that a dishevelled Jeb entered her capsule at 2355 this evening. Then he ate all the biscuits.

5 minutes ago, lapis said:

what is they're highscore?

did you build a retropie console?st

My eldest has made it as far as 6-2 in SMB1 without warping. And no, not a retropie console - the original NES that I got for Christmas back in...'87? '88? I forget. Still works.

Edited by capi3101

I needed a pilot to replace poor Hilsy Kerman, and after multiple contracts not wanting to offer a pilot, I finally got a Minmus surface rescue contract (with capsule) for a one.  I pretty much never do these, but I was tired of waiting.  I had a second surface rescue for Minmus (an extra scientist) as well.  I decided to rely on KIS/KAS for the capsule recovery and otherwise built a new heavy lander.  The target pod turned out to be larger than anticipated, so my engineer had to improvise a little.

Coming down close to the rescuee & his capsule

H6XLVw7.png?1

For some reason, the gear were super-extra-springy today, and I ended up landing on the engines.  The original intent was to mount the recovered pod underneath the lander, but with the springy gear, that had to wait.  I transferred as much fuel to the opposite side as I could & it worked out ok once I shut off the SuperDraco's attached to the upper stage of the lander

QmRa2jK.png?1

Once in orbit, the engineer & rescued pilot (to help move the extra mass) moved the recovered pod to the bottom of the lander, effectively becoming the new landing gear

f3hoYKp.png?1

Second rescue was easy - just had to recover the scientist & blow up her debris

qaPXSSR.png?1

Last step was to launch a recovery claw into LKO, grab the recovered pod & detach it with KAS, then recover it "normally"

2b7FV8s.png?1

Followed by the 2 rescued kerbonauts in the lander

kEs8qI1.png?1

Last but not least, I experimented with a 2-seat turboprop version of the single seat prop fighter I'd been working on.  Still flies great, top speed is a little higher, and acceleration is a LOT quicker once the engine is at full power.  I tried a version loaded down with simulated ordnance, but there were issues with CG & gear height. 

NXvTqSQ.png?1

Well, our investors have just cut our plane budget, to "focus more on rockets" as they say.. So Bill had to deploy his best knowledge to design the smallest and cheapiest flyable plane around.

Of course, Jeb is the test pilot.

Tinyk mark1 test flight: mass 839 kg, cost 2,625:funds:

vYWEFiv.png

It works!

7ecZymK.png

However, it's maneuvrable, ok, but kind at the minimum limit. Jeb doesn't like it:

cA5KL2E.png

But Jeb is alive! no matter, test successful !

rIUeBIn.png

But those guys said again: "too big, too much expensive Bill"

So Bill came out with Tinyk mk2: mass 292 kg, cost 1,450:funds:

Testflight! (liquid fuel is the wings)

y4ovpzw.png

Gotta be careful on take off, engine doesn't like to smash in the runway:

Qa1lEvx.png

And now: Jeb's face expression showing how the flight is going:

Spoiler

" IT FLIES!! MUHAHAHA!!!! "

yfTmsFD.png

" It won't fly so long heum... "

ijbtLYo.png

Yes this thing can only sustain flight at -0.5 m/s of vertical velocity ..

As the previous one: test successful!

yV5J5vw.png

Investors said it was perfect. Bill is gonna rework this a bit, and should be good! :)

Edited by kurgut

i built a big ugly rotating ring thing thing.

weighs 315T
holds 984 kerbals
took 4 hours

still not happy with the look, theirs to much going on, and the mass of the rotating part is so much higher than the mass of the non rotating part, that the non rotating part will slowly pick up momentum. and tommorow im going to figure out how to get it to orbit withought the cheat menu lol
unknown.png?width=1248&height=702

5 minutes ago, putnamto said:

i built a big ugly rotating ring thing thing.

weighs 315T
holds 984 kerbals
took 4 hours

still not happy with the look, theirs to much going on, and the mass of the rotating part is so much higher than the mass of the non rotating part, that the non rotating part will slowly pick up momentum. and tommorow im going to figure out how to get it to orbit withought the cheat menu lol
unknown.png?width=1248&height=702

You appear to have made a shrine to the Deep Space Kraken. Possibly in more ways than one.