What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

5 hours ago, Jacke said:

Planned last September, today I did an extended recce of KSC Mini-Biomes (the building areas) and Micro-Biomes (particular buildings) at all facility upgrade levels.  Did so for familiarization and information confirmation, assisted by the mods Tree Toppler and Kerbin Environmental Institute.

Nice work and a good summary! Now the question is which micro biomes you can get what kind of science from. From what I remember, some experiments like Temperature can be acquired by just touching while others can't (Goo?). Also, I believe you can jump on top of many of them to get "EVA Flying above" science even though flying in a real craft only says "Shores" (maybe). But for some, like Launchpad and Runway, the "Flying above" biome region is different from the "ground" biome. If you jump in the center of the launchpad you get "EVA while Flying above Shores" but if you move toward the Crawlerway you get "EVA while flying above Launchpad".

I tried some of that during Caveman NCD by landing on buildings (here https://imgur.com/a/ur3eHvZ ) but can't really remember the details anymore.

HFRjGSX.jpg

On 1/29/2019 at 3:03 AM, Espatie said:

Negative Periapsis is the best way to go for heat purposes; hanging about in the upper atmosphere might heat you less per second, but it takes a ridiculously long time to slow you down because the air density is nearly zero, so you actually accumulate more heat in my experience.

Dive deep and get into the lower atmosphere ASAP; once you get down to 20km you *will* slow down fast. 15g deceleration isn't unusual (the Scientists and Engineers pass out, but the Pilots should be fine).

I've done direct atmospheric insertion from both Mun and Minimus to no permanent damage. Going from 3.5km/s to a dead stop is a hell of a ride.

That's what I did back in the day before switching over to shallower aerobraking passes. In the end, I don't have an angle I always stick to: I just pick a target periapse and make the burn at the Mun, then I burn any remaining fuel just before reentry to maximize my chances of not skipping back off into orbit, which tends to bring my periapse even lower. Whatever works to bring me back down safely.

But then again, as I did a 15km periapse reentry yesterday, my return stage almost flipped over from the lander can's drag. Ever since 1.4, it's been pretty much impossible for me to reenter with anything bigger than a single command pod without it flipping over from drag if I'm not using SAS (and if anything other than a heatshield is at the front, even with SAS). But as I also found out the hard way yesterday, apparently the lander can has so much drag that it decelerates the return stage to safe parachute release speed even if I'm entering prograde... found out the hard way, as in, I tried experimenting with putting the lander can higher up in an attempt to use its drag to stabilize during reentry. Except this resulted in the return stage disintegrating from the materials bay that was now directly behind the heatshield suddenly overheating and exploding in 0.2 seconds after over a minute of doing fine temperature-wise, which tore off the heatshield and put the lander can directly into the heat, whose drag caused the return stage to immediately flip over and start burning off the solar panels on the top. I HATE drag. It's my worst enemy. Other than the drag, the lander can is doing just fine during reentry, spiking to about 82% heat at the most for as long as something is in front of it.

This lander design turned out to work really well. I mean, I routinely return from near-polar orbits with a few hundred dV remaining if I use a suicide burn descent. Wasteful, perhaps, but has enough safety margin that nobody gets stranded.

5 hours ago, dvader said:

Nice work and a good summary! Now the question is which micro biomes you can get what kind of science from. From what I remember, some experiments like Temperature can be acquired by just touching while others can't (Goo?). Also, I believe you can jump on top of many of them to get "EVA Flying above" science even though flying in a real craft only says "Shores" (maybe). But for some, like Launchpad and Runway, the "Flying above" biome region is different from the "ground" biome. If you jump in the center of the launchpad you get "EVA while Flying above Shores" but if you move toward the Crawlerway you get "EVA while flying above Launchpad".

I tried some of that during Caveman NCD by landing on buildings (here https://imgur.com/a/ur3eHvZ ) but can't really remember the details anymore.

Spoiler

HFRjGSX.jpg

Thanks!

To quickly determine the biomes and science around KSC, I used the mods Tree Toppler and Kerbin Environmental Institute (KEI).  In a standard career game at start, with Tree Toppler, I unlocked all the Tech Nodes to get access to all stock experiments.  Then I used KEI to get all KSC science.

KEI only reported and delivered Surface Landed Situation Science, for Crew Report, EVA Report, Mystery Goo, Materials Study, Temperature Scan, Pressure Scan, Seismic Scan, Gravity Scan, and Atmosphere Analysis.

KEI matched EVA Report biomes to what I found while exploring.  It could be missing KSC biome Flying Low situations.  @linuxgurugamer is the current maintainer for KEI.  He may have insight into how KEI works and whether it could be missing Flying Low situations.

Edited by Jacke

52 minutes ago, Jacke said:

Thanks!

To quickly determine the biomes and science around KSC, I used the mods Tree Toppler and Kerbin Environmental Institute (KEI).  In a standard career game at start, with Tree Toppler, I unlocked all the Tech Nodes to get access to all stock experiments.  Then I used KEI to get all KSC science.

KEI only reported and delivered Surface Landed Situation Science, for Crew Report, EVA Report, Mystery Goo, Materials Study, Temperature Scan, Pressure Scan, Seismic Scan, Gravity Scan, and Atmosphere Analysis.

KEI matched EVA Report biomes to what I found while exploring.  It could be missing KSC biome Flying Low situations.  @linuxgurugamer is the current maintainer for KEI.  He may have insight into how KEI works and whether it could be missing Flying Low situations.

If you think this is a problem, please report it in the KEI thread here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/169690-ksp-151-kei-kerbin-environmental-institute-now-requires-toolbarcontroller/&page=4

@MisterKerman Sorry for that misnomer what I meant is that I was more attracted by the Mun than by Kerbin

So to day I sent my "Jacinda Arden" space station to LKO with my Rutherford 4EX

Buqbzdo.png

Did a few tourist contracts

Then did I some science around the KSC

Edited by MiscelanousItem
Forgot some content

tried a first draft at a custom side-booster separation system, such that both boosters are still connected. Turns out that both struts and docking ports don't work and disappear/decouple instead.

Looks like I need to think of something different.

16 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

ZcOWKFG.png

Is that a miniature Wolfhound engine? It's so cute  :D 

EDIT: we could use a whole new line of scaled down engines - "Toy Poodle" could be the first

Edited by Tyko

FyAbmGy.jpg

I started the concept for an MK3 cargo shuttle with help from some of the more knowledgeable members willing to lend a brain. I plan to use it to lift 'big orange' tanks to LKO.

However I'm severely dissapointed at the lack of variety in S-size wings. All they have is a strake, a tail-fin, and a delta wing. They don't blend seamlessly with any other wing part which is making this an aesthetic nightmare.

1 hour ago, Delay said:

tried a first draft at a custom side-booster separation system, such that both boosters are still connected. Turns out that both struts and docking ports don't work and disappear/decouple instead.

Looks like I need to think of something different.

Try using Recoupler. I'm not entirely sure how well it will handle an edge-use case like that, but it's worth a shot.

41 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Try using Recoupler.

I won't use mods to aid my action as long as there is a (semi-) stock way to do it.

My first thought around this problem was to connect the side boosters with struts that is connected to the center booster using a docking port. Turns out, however, that this only allows one connection, which combined with the size of the struts (and by "struts" I mean the structural parts, not the click-to-connect ones) would be a rather flimsy one.

In todays adventure in 1.6 career gaming, a paying passenger causes a few issues for his rescuer, Valentina.

After the 9 day trip out to Minmus Val picked up Hargun Kerman from low orbit.

e02rFNc.png

As Hargun's a pilot Val decided to take a back seat and let someone else drive for a change, so the recently rescued Hargun took the vehicle down to check out the surface.

3uLPf0y.png

"What's that you say Val... the ship feels like it's moving, get back now... looks ok to me".

oqtR9Qk.png

"Dee... da, de, da, de, it's great to be stretching my legs again.

nGAIflN.png

"What's that Val... the ship's falling over you say... no time to be larking about on the surface you say".

NTHhcov.png

"Dee... da, de, da, de..."

1moY23w.png

Haven't had a lot of game time the last few days & what I have had has mostly been launches for Duna & Jool windows only a few days apart.   I did take time today to send a rover based on the new lander can to Minmus for my ground base there:

Booster separation

ioUUlla.png?1

Transfer to Minmus

KdCMUSf.png?1

Entering orbit

U1rtuxq.png?1

Safely landed & parked next to the base:

vuGFjHG.png?1

This past week I assembled a new mothership for manned interplanetary missions, and named it KTRN Love of Rain. The 'Rain uses a nuclear reactor for power and 2 nuclear rocket engines giving it a 9 km/s delta V reserve. Those dinky little solar panels are just to keep the batteries charged between missions when the reactor gets shut down.

sqcUo80.jpg

I also designed an air-launched shuttle system, so now mission crews can ascend to orbit in fabulous style.

SmVCqxs.jpg

rdbuln5.jpg

dWnNA3M.jpg

The carrier plane is 100% reusable and is definitely NOT being abandoned to crash into the ocean. We are a reputable space program. 

ANhdKbg.jpg

XcW07Nb.jpg

Edited by BadOaks