What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Found the science anomaly on Minmus!

sAlm5AB.png

Unfortunately, the mission soon took a turn for the worse... check out my report in the Facepalm-Worthy Moment thread for more details.

In happier news, I managed a pretty pinpoint landing with an experiment return capsule:

KG9DBQb.png

For a "eh, that looks about right... let's cut the SM loose" approach, I'm quite pleased. :cool:

Finally, on a sandbox save, Jeb decided to try out orbital skydiving...

oFmJxqk.png

His ecstatic report said that although the helmet did get a bit toasty, it was a safe and stable ride. Bailout and parachute descent went flawlessly, and Jeb pulled, if not a 10-point landing, then certainly a 7, I.E., he didn't faceplant on landing. :rolleyes:

PRESENTING A NEW KERBOBULUS CREATION:

The KS-C1'Humpback'!

K3g3bLN.jpeg

u8FOaoR.jpeg

80gQlyj.jpeg

2eqxy15.jpeg

The KS-C1 ‘Humpback’ was created to transport a little shop Triop made to the desert so the Kerbal driving his Elkano buggy could have some hot dogs. It is one of the largest cargo aircraft ever built by Kerbalkind, serving as a testament to how far Kerbal engineering has come. It cruises at 5,000m ASL at 180 m/s and has a range of about 2,000 km without payload. It has a 10 meter wide cargo bay and will readily carry anything from Kerbals to elephants. Based on the Airbus Beluga.

Download This Craft

For all of my airliners

Edited by Bottle Rocketeer 500

Last couple of days have been quite eventful. Tuesday began with the successful return of Strange Cargo to Kerbin from Mun, where she had delivered a group of nine colonists to the Piper Alpha outpost on the surface. Strange Cargo affected a successful rendezvous and docking at space station Kerbinport, after which the South Base outpost near KSC refueled the station via mass driver shot. Next, LSV House Harkonnen warped into low orbit over Kerbol with a TBD 7c rover stuck sideways in her onboard drydock, beginning a series of maneuvers that would take her to Duna by the end of the day. The Kerbincomm Hotel communications satellite also reached its final position, finally fully establishing the outer ring of Kerbin's communications satellite network and completing the network in general. An ongoing mission to retrieve a MOLE Mark One Habitat from the surface of Minmus finally reached its conclusion as well yesterday, as the Bill Clinton 7b grabber probe hauling it to Kerbin reached atmospheric entry and splashed down intact.

About this time I went to the Dystopia Planitia shipyard over Kerbin expecting to find that construction of the new Muad'dib 7 Alcubierre mothership - LSV House Atreides - was complete. Instead I found out that the shipyard had run out of RocketParts for the job, and construction had halted as a result. An adequate load of RocketParts was shot up to DP from South Base and construction resumed. The shortage tacked on another eight hours to the construction time of Atreides, a craft that was already four days late on its originally scheduled delivery owing to other issues...

Necessary Evil reached Minmus next, which occurred about the same time that Next Objective finally returned from its mission to Minmus. To be clear about this: Next Objective had departed Minmus before Necessary Evil had on its last delivery run, and Necessary Evil had made it back to Kerbin, docked, took on new passengers and returned to Minmus all before Next Objective had finally made it back to Kerbin. Bad burns indeed, y'all. Anyway, Next Objective affected a successful rendezvous and docking at Kerbinport, while Necessary Evil did the same with space station Minmusport. At Minmusport, colonists Nellrey, Geoffrod, Genery and Jeaneane Kerman boarded the Crater Maker 7 8-passenger lander docked at the station, which then departed the station. Necessary Evil took on fuel and then departed for Kerbin, its delivery job completed; the ship should return in eight days. Meanwhile the Crater Maker made its way down to the Deepwater Horizon outpost on the surface, and after waiting for local daylight, it was hooked up to the outpost long enough to transfer off the colonists and refuel. After it was unhooked, the Crater Maker made its way back to Minmusport, docking successfully. DH resupplied the station afterwards via mass driver shot.

While Harkonnen was nearing the completion of its ramp-down maneuver prior to final warp to Duna, I received word from Dystopia Planitia - LSV House Atreides was finally ready for launch. 

FSXz4FB.png
Muad'dib! Muad'dib! Muad'dib! Don't trust Dr. Yueh and all the other relevant literary references!

Harkonnen's maneuvers caused one final delay in preparation for the launch of Atreides (damn Harkonnens anyway) - Harkonnen conducted its final warps to Duna, ultimately attaining a final orbit of 381 x 302 kilometers at 5 degrees inclination over the red planet. The intended crew of the TBD - pilot Billy-Bobcal Kerman, scientist Wenmy Kerman and engineer Chadul Kerman - made their way aboard the rover. After making one final check of the craft to make certain it was supplied, the TBD was released from the ship's drydock. Billy-Bobcal did a very admirable job of maneuvering the rover into an upright position, and ultimately the rover cleared the drydock.

Fd07Zsy.png
I still don't know how I managed to finagle this thing into an upright position - I mean, it was well and truly stuck through the side when it came off the printer. Ain't complaining though.

The TBD crew began preparations for landing. While those were ongoing, I received word that the first of my four ongoing colonization contracts was complete, netting me about √2M in one big thwack. I have yet to see about re-training the colonists into more productive roles; I have the capability of doing this, apparently. Just haven't figured out the mechanics involved yet.

My attention turned next to fueling of Atreides. Several mass driver shots between South Base and Dystopia Planitia occurred, filling the craft with enriched uranium, xenon and standard fuel supplies. The General Electric 7 exotic matter jump starting craft docked to Dystopia Planitia then performed its intended job, providing enough electrical charge for Atreides's exotic matter generator to build up about 250 units of exotic matter prior to leaving dock. All this done, House Atreides was finally allowed to leave drydock on her shakedown cruise, a mission to sundive and complete the filling of her exotic matter tank. She went ahead and raised her apopasis above the Alcubierre Drive's failsafe altitude on conventional drives and the time to her first warp was set.

HLPRYXW.png
LSV House Atreides departing Kerbin, her warp drive engaged for the very first time.

At that point though, the TBD rover had reached its de-orbit point over Duna and landing attempts commenced. After several such attempts, it became abundantly clear that the design could not enter the Dunan atmosphere and land safely; the onboard engines were not slowing the craft down sufficiently to allow for the deployment of the chutes, leading to multiple hard lithobrakes with vehicle loss. Ultimately I had no choice but to order an ATO, which Billy-Bobcal affected successfully though it left the rover without sufficient remaining fuel to do much of anything at this point. Going to the drawing board, I designed a grabber probe with a more powerful engine and fuel supply - which I (appropriately for once) dubbed the Last Chance 7 - and ordered the crew remaining aboard Harkonnen to begin printing one up; printing is expected to take seven hours. I'm bummed that the Duna mission has suffered this setback, but I'm quietly optimistic that Plan B is going to work.

Atreides completed her fueling dive over Kerbol and returned successfully to orbit over Kerbin. Printing of a dedicated workshop module for the ship began at Dystopia Planitia and the shipyard is continuing to recharge the GE's capacitors; at the rate of about 300 Megajoules per orbit, it should take another seven orbits to finally finish recharging. Of course, I have to be at the shipyard for it to count...

This morning I began a rescue mission over Minmus, releasing the Spamcan 7 2-passenger monoprop lander from Minmusport to rendezvous with Kardon's Debris in very low Minmus orbit. Aside from that, I'm still in the waiting pattern; Harkonnen is printing up the Last Chance, Dystopia Planitia is printing up Atreides's workshop module, and everything else I've got going on is either waiting on the warp ships or just waiting for the passage of time.

Sure am hoping to be able to report the successful commencement of operations on Duna to y'all in the next day or two; I really had hoped to be able to do that today...

20 hours ago, MisterKerman said:

[snip]Also that's a sharp little station you made. It will be good for "Collect science from space around Kerbin" contracts. I like small simple minimalistic designs like that. I always struggle with keeping mass down myself. 

Whats really funny is that I have used it for just that!

I build a W.I.P 1260Ton spaceplane with 99 or 104 Rapier engines that can lift up to 1100Ton weighing 2360 Ton.

It can format 5m diameter tanks or 2 x 3.75m tanks next to each other or a 5m fairing with a max width of 6 meters, up to 7.7meters if I find a way to raise it further above the ground. Max cargo length is up to 70 meters and can support fuel tanks of that size across the total cargo format.

It currently consists out of 374 parts including the cargo but I'm confident I can modify the part count somewhat more.

Also comes with 2 small sidemounted MK 3 cargo bays to put smaller stuff in.

Fps is relatively ok with about 1 second per 1-3 fps on a 8700k

Dummy weight is 1040 Tons.

Pics:

zYfvHiw.jpg

28HNzOM.jpg

P58H7QZ.jpg

8tf8EaE.jpg

NEe95gB.png

qE0VX5w.jpg

qZTKqfq.jpg

WqwZm36.jpg

2fqyfHA.jpg

QtXvkIY.jpg

I probably put it on KerbalX once it is finished. 

isoyfTO.png

Well, at least they're on the ground. Alive this time. If they'd landed in the Midlands I might even say "let's just park it here".

Spoiler

Let's see... KML this puppy.

nrm = -0.999489665, -0.00961601734, 0.0304622352
rot = -0.524951279, 0.461552322, 0.146912947, 0.699865878

I wish i knew what these actually meant.

Guessing "rot" is the rotation. But if that's the case, why the hell are there four rot parameters? Some physics thing no doubt.

It does occur to me that Waypoint Manager does contain the actual x-y-z coordinates of the target spot. I wonder if it'd be easier just to hyper them there. Probably so, but I'd still like to not cheat too much. Just want to upright the rover.

EDIT: Ah, thank you, Reddit. Now I just have to figure out how to interpret the numbers...get somebody to do that online for me...okay. Get that transformed to an x-y-z set and it looks like x is the one that controls roll angle. Set that to zero, leave the others alone, get a new quaternion value, plug that in, keep my fingers crossed.

If this works I'm going to have to add both of those links to my toolkit...

Newsflash - it didn't work. Rather, the game accepted the new gimbal data, but my rover remained stubbornly on its side...

In other news, @Triop just gave me my 1,000th "like" on these forums...

Edited by capi3101

In today's 1.6 career game, there were mistakes, more mistakes... plus some rescuing of course, to bring in the precious funds.

There was the launch of the first of what will be many SSTO launches. This one was only a 0.5 ton relay being sent to Minmus, but It's equiped with a docking port to cheaply pick up a docking contract payment.

XtFxXVO.png

Here's the little guy heading away from kerbin.

xwNM3jN.png

Meanwhile in Mun orbit a station was sent there with what was hoped to be 2000 units of liquid by the time it got there. It was a little shy of that (1664 units) by the time it arrived, after which it occured to me that I didn't really need to lug the matching oxidizer there as well... I mean that's just setting fire to funds right there.

The solution was to send up as cheaply as possible a vehicle with enough space fuel to dock with it and top it up to the required amount.

k3NG7Xo.png

Then what to do with that little tanker after it's done... what to do... what to do...

Send it hurtling into the Mun surface of course.

MOnx8DU.png

Later a scientist missing most of his vessel was picked up in Mun orbit, paired up with another accident prone traveller in a re-entry vehicle in Kerbin orbit, and sent home.

He seemed pretty pleased to be catching the bus, but his companion on the way down seemed undecided on the thrills of re-entry.

xJbx0aU.png

9IwFZtV.png

Talking of re-entry... what's an SSTO worth without one.

After delivering its mini relay/cheapo docking contract grabber to Kerbin orbit, this SSTO launcher headed back to the KSC... but missed it by this much, making the landing legs just a decorative affectation.

uYSXYwO.png

So today I got jeb to Minmus and back, with some very early equipment.
zpqKP15.jpg
Being an idiot like usual, I forgot to take any actual pictures during flight, but I did get quite a bit of science and funding.
I plan on putting some Commsats up later, but that's for another time.
(Craft shown: Slammer I - Crawler II)

13 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Found the science anomaly on Minmus!

*Proceeds to not only trample a Monolith underfoot, but to also plant a flag on it

13 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Unfortunately, the mission soon took a turn for the worse...

Noticed a pattern yet?

11 minutes ago, PunkyFickle said:

*Proceeds to not only trample a Monolith underfoot, but to also plant a flag on it

Noticed a pattern yet?

Yeahhhh... Not exactly the most auspicious of events, now is it... But, I did manage to make the docking without issue today, so now I just need to make up a monopropellant-loaded tanker and a docking port expansion truss for the station, and we'll be back on track in a hurry.

21 hours ago, BadOaks said:

This past week I assembled a new mothership for manned interplanetary missions, and named it KTRN Love of Rain. The 'Rain uses a nuclear reactor for power and 2 nuclear rocket engines giving it a 9 km/s delta V reserve. Those dinky little solar panels are just to keep the batteries charged between missions when the reactor gets shut down.

sqcUo80.jpg

This has to be one of the most plausible interplanetary ship designs I have ever seen.  :o

1 hour ago, Fearless Son said:

This has to be one of the most plausible interplanetary ship designs I have ever seen.  :o

Thanks. I got inspired by the crew ship in Stratzenblitz75's awesome KERBOL 0 video, so I made something like it!

7JW8mri.jpg

I've also been playing with the design a bit to make a version with "additional capability" that I'm planning to post about later once it's done.The Kraken has not been happy with me so far, but here's a teaser:

S8j0yaR.jpg

I sent the first 6 vessels for the current Duna transfer window on their way.  Three more will be following, just ran out of time today, then in a few days the fleet of Jool ships will start leaving.  Most notable is the Duna Flyer II on its way.  Hopefully it will live up to its name better than the original.

UF9qwgs.png?1