What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Succeeded in rescuing my stranded shuttlebug lander...

N7mfyNB.png

Shortly after docking was achieved, the tanker that will refuel it was launched...

coEtbhd.png

(Gotta love BDB. That Dual Engine Centaur is awesome for medium payloads.

Finally, dispatched one of (at present) two rovers to go with the Minmus Outpost I'm preparing to make. This one will be for utility work and light cargo. The next one is an Ore hauler, and will be used to carry ore from the mining rig that I'm planning on setting up near the base to the base proper, where a future mission will deliver an ISRU unit to turn the ore into both monopropellant for the Shuttlebug and LFO for other vehicles needing a top-off.

XO2uJn9.png

The engines are the compact variant of the Spark, attached to a pair of tweakscaled radial attachment mounts, and the gear is attached to the node at the base  of the fuel tank. Nice and compact, and it actually looks pretty nice.

I've been trying to get this base, and a few minor variants of it, to work. But every time I put in zero g, it summons the kraken and explodes. I'm actually planning to land something like this on top of the dead kraken on Bop.

7cX51qO.png

The problem seems to be that the lower ring is too far from the core and somehow ends up swinging. Or the problem might be with 8 sided symmetry since I've never really gotten that to work in space stations. Has anyone ever gotten a base like this to work? Craft file?

In this current incarnation the vertical arches are actually built off of 4 crew cabins down, which have been offset from the core. And as with all of my rings and arches, the ring segments are held together by concealed pairs of docking ports.

Edited by Zosma Procyon

Today I finished my Manned Dres mission - 

screenshot28.png?width=400&height=225

Capture Burn.

screenshot29.png?width=400&height=225

The crew is happy there is a planet there.

screenshot31.png?width=400&height=225

One of the crew visits the Green Monolith to unlock a Tech Tree Node for free. 30% science returns is hard.

screenshot32.png?width=400&height=225

I actually got a Kerbin Encounter with a periapse within the atmosphere before I even left Dres SOI - neat huh?

screenshot33.png?width=400&height=225

When i came there I realised I had vastly over engineered the ship - it had 5000 m/s of Delta V left when I entered Kerbin SOI, so I wasted it all slowing down before hitting Atmosphere and then let it go. I got 997 science out of the mission though!

Then since I didn't have any closer targets for Manned missions other than Jool I decided to send space probes to the Outer Planets - Sarnus, Urulum and Neidon

screenshot34.png?width=400&height=225

They're part of the Argotech probes, running on Argon Hall Effect Thrusters.

screenshot35.png?width=400&height=225

Here's their launch.

I then tried to achieve orbit on Starkiller, a custom planet I made -

I failed, but I got this excellent shot.

screenshot6.png?width=400&height=225

It's in orbit about Karakyal, a gas giant.

9 hours ago, Zosma Procyon said:

I've been trying to get this base, and a few minor variants of it, to work. But every time I put in zero g, it summons the kraken and explodes. I'm actually planning to land something like this on top of the dead kraken on Bop.

The problem seems to be that the lower ring is too far from the core and somehow ends up swinging. Or the problem might be with 8 sided symmetry since I've never really gotten that to work in space stations. Has anyone ever gotten a base like this to work? Craft file?

In this current incarnation the vertical arches are actually built off of 4 crew cabins down, which have been offset from the core. And as with all of my rings and arches, the ring segments are held together by concealed pairs of docking ports.

You might want to try this:

6G1nqS6.jpg

If this doens't work you may need to strut one of the arms to the root part, but never autostrut ANY part of the ring to root/heaviest part, in many cases this causes more problems than it solves.

And if you need a craft file to compare you could look at one of my stations I've uploaded (link in my signature) but the struts used in those crafts look pretty much the same as the above example.

Good luck!

I sent my Mun base rover to the Mun in my test save for some in-situ evaluation.

https://i.imgur.com/wXhMi3p.png

It was all going fine until I accidentally drove the rover over the lip of a giant crater at over 40 m/s. Despite my best efforts, the rover smashed down and destroyed the front right wheel, as well as the RTGs on the undercarriage.

https://i.imgur.com/BVJx5Av.png

Surprisingly, it kept going, with the SAS able to compensate for the lack of a wheel. In other words, this is The Little Rover that Could! :sticktongue:

Unfortunately, since the 2 RTGs that served as a power source were destroyed in the initial 'leap of faith', the rover soon ran out of battery power. Luckily, the death of this resilient vehicle was spectacular as it tumbled down into another crater - scraping off most of the remaining external equipment too!

https://i.imgur.com/fNVz4ky.png

As you can see from the image above, its final resting place was the slope of the crater, lying on its side with the three remaining wheels spinning uselessly in the Munar vacuum. We salute you, unimaginatively named rover :P

Edited by RealKerbal3x
Why are my images not embedding?

9 hours ago, Schwarz said:

Great... Where's an Su-57 with pulse lasers when you need one? lol.gif

All kidding aside, excellent recreation of those drones. GOD they were annoying to shoot down...

EDIT: Huh. Auto-imbedding of images from mobile has failed. :huh:

Edited by MaverickSawyer
Fixed the link. :/

15 hours ago, BadOaks said:

Thanks. I got inspired by the crew ship in Stratzenblitz75's awesome KERBOL 0 video, so I made something like it!

Yeah, that video was indeed awesome (I'm going to try and imitate the rotational mechanism) but the first place my thought went was with the Hermes from The Martian:

maxresdefault5-1200x563.jpg

Similar long radiator panels, similar front docking airlock.

15 hours ago, Zosma Procyon said:

7cX51qO.png

I don't know if I can answer that but..... I can imitate you....I want to build that.

Challenge accepted.

ME

Begun operations with a mobile laboratory on Minmus, but it was almost a mission that cost Val, Bill, and Bob their lives, as a design flaw was only discovered AFTER the de-orbit burn was completed.

2968N13.png

The plan was to have four twitchs to land the rover, which would have allowed for a local TWR of about 11.  However, only two got installed for one reason or another, and the effective local TWR ended up being 1.1 due to torque.  Somehow, I managed to land the rover, burning through its entire fuel supply to land safely, and still running out of fuel at landing, resulting in a landing speed of ~40 meters per second.  Thankfully, the decision to use KF tracks instead of wheels allowed the rover to survive landing in one piece, even though Bob bailed out to land EVA.

Failing to get my KOS circularisation script right, it's ending up about 100m or so below the target altitude.  Good but I should be able to do it better if I can figure out the physics.  

However my launch scripts are working perfectly and I've been making some cash with fully automated suborbital tourist missions.  25k kredits  per mission in less time than it takes me to a make a cuppa.  Need to sort my re-entry scrip so I can do orbital missions.  The plan is pretty much everything in this career is going to be fully automated.  Intending on sticking a life support mod on and having automated ships to resupply missions to bases and stations.

So today we put our first geostationary Commsat up in orbit, Grazgo Mk. I

GVXqDRj.jpg

It's a pretty small payload, only around 700kg, but it'll do the job we set it to do.
Next we attach the Bumper IIB, a variant of the bumper lifter with a small extension on the core, and 2 SRB's to give it the extra push it needs to get the payload to the correct orbit.

95aovY8.jpg

Yes, I know the SRB's a bit big, but I couldn't find anything for just the right size.

CWoFNOs.jpg

Mvb4FCe.jpg

Launch went very well, the SRB's cleared fine, and thrust is nominal as we ascend to orbit.

WVj4cUf.png

With the Core stage burned out, The second will boost us up to Geostationary orbit from here.

c95zdjp.png

Sadly the probe doesn't have enough electric charge to survive through the night, but it's a good first to have a communications probe.
I'm also going to send a polar orbiter to minmus, which will also be a lander after fulfilling a contract.

Edited by X Sonic Pro X
Change of plans, I wasn't going to document the probe at first

While i am waiting for principia to update i have been looking for what other mods i should have in my next carrer world. I found this modpack thing called Near Future Technologies. It fits me perfectly as it adds many large ion thrusters(i love ion thrusters), more solar panels, nuclear reactors and a bunch of cool structural things that can be used to build space stations and such. They can even be filled with fuel and ore and stuff. It is actually the first time i have used mods that focus on adding new parts instead of there being like 2 or 3 as in kerbal engineer.

Turns out that huge ion thrusters and nuclear reactors is a very good combo, so I made this:

4NdmYbb.jpg

It has a miner, an ore converter, a lab, and a crewed lander. This is by far the largest thing i have ever flown in this game too. I am planning on having a similar version in my carrer world later(it will be the "final goal" i think) that will go to almost all planets and moons(maybe not landing on tylo and such...) as all the fuel and such will be refined on site. I will also have a slightly modified version of opm too just for some more places to go. The large ion thruster has about 4000 dv with this setup, will probably decrease as there are a few things i want to add to it later perhaps. Like maybe a ssto like thing for laythe and tekto, as there are some crazy nuclear jet engines that dont need oxygen apparently...:huh:

Edited by Eriksonn