What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I started a new career with 1.6.1 recently.  Looking in the R&D facility, I have most of the tech tree unlocked, 2900 science to spend, and 1.5Million in the bank.  All from Kerbin and Mun science.  If I continue, I'll unlock all the science before I finish exploring Minmus, probes and satellites to other words, and I'll be on my way to them in a Grand Tour ship like KSP versions before.

What I think I'm trying to say is that I don't feel the need to prove a career anymore.  Today, I'm going to start up my first real sandbox game and work on the bigger challenges in my play style, like Laythe and Eve.

That is all.  8)

One last post for tonight...

knCpZZE.png

That's a science return canister for my Minmus outpost. The Agena is used to insert into Minmus orbit and to land, and the crew at the outpost will then unbolt the upper cargo canister and the support frame beneath it, move it over to the outpost, and then bolt it on top of the outpost. They'll then load two completed MOLE lab experiments into it and fire it off, back to Kerbin. The Agena will be drained of fuel to top off the crew lander and, along with the support frame, will be recycled with OSE Workshop to be used to make new parts in situ. Or I might reuse the Agena. Not entirely sure yet. *shrugs*

11 hours ago, Triop said:

asking myself what am I doing here

Very understandably so, too.

When you finish, though, tell us what THAT feels like because most of us are never going to find out first-hand.  Like Everest...  And maybe your story will spawn off a bunch of similar adventures.

Edited by Hotel26

It snowed last night so I stayed in. Fiddled on a few KSP items:

I have a very popular Soyuz craft on Steam workshop.  I made a bunch of updates to it, including using the new engine model, and removing some phantom torque.

Spoiler

2ls3XcN.jpg

I put a completely useless but fun Kubble Space Telescope up.  Here we see it observing a distant galaxy.

Spoiler

Ln8h2qW.jpg

Lastly slapped some more parts on a big ol mothership I've been making.  In theory it is modular and should be launched one by one and assembled in orbit.  This is just a test flight around pretty looking places in the Kerbalk system.

Spoiler

TvdbLdG.png

Made a simple passenger SSTO that was supposed to just have enough D/V to shuttle passengers to/from the Mun and Minmus from an orbital space station, but it figures that when it orbit it has 4,200 m/s of Δ/v. That's enough to go to the Mun, Minmus, Duna, Dres and Gilly without refueling. I'm pretty sure it'd also be enough to get to Pol and Bop if I used gravity assists to get to Jool. I'm quite happy.

lKdzLhN.jpg
QLmVj9w.jpg

Today, I transferred my manned ship from Hephaestus to Jannah's low orbit:

x5zz9cnkye3hbj8zg.jpg

And a couple of days later my Tellumo spaceplane finally arrived to its destination:

0j5l79pqipcgoyizg.jpg

...And the next week and a half was spent doing aerobraking pass after aerobraking pass. Thank Kraken, this bird is tough enough to survive flying through Tellumo's upper atmosphere at over 5 kilometers per second. I still nearly lost landing gear to overheating a couple of times.

55ga8209wktfuzkzg.jpg

Finally, I killed enough velocity to circularize in a reasonable amount of dV. And then, after picking a suitable spot for landing, the spaceplane performed a deorbiting burn. I gotta say, morning on Tellumo are beautiful - when you aren't too busy trying not to disintegrate from reentry heat, that is.:sticktongue:

qu1d7t8m9xvphj0zg.jpg

After successfully surviving through the inferno, the crew was introduced to another charming feature of Tellumo: it's very dense lower atmosphere and incredible drag that comes with it. While, J-sized OPT parts are kinda draggy, pulling 12g while holding prograde was still not something I expected.

nzoqib3o1ldpjwizg.jpg

Once the plane decelerated to below 1 mach, landing wasn't especially hard.

0jtl299714qh1ugzg.jpg

After collecting science and planting the flag, the spaceplane took off. And, as it approached the mountains eastwards of the landing site, Jeb noticed something really strange on the summit. Making a small detour there, he discovered a very strange object: a statue of a Gealan head. How did it get there?

xjkaiy4oqv34uovzg.jpg

After hastily taking pictures of this inexplicable object, the flight continued on its original route, slowly accelerating to the local orbital velocity. It managed to hit 3.7 km/s (a record for manned craft powered by air-breathing engines) before switching to its chemical engines and finally escaping Tellumo's atmosphere.

m7nnzuarixbawxtzg.jpg

Edited by NHunter

1 hour ago, StupidAndy said:

i landed on the Mun, but i forgot to take a picture actually landed, so heres a picture that looks like it landed but if it actually was landed it would be huge

Spoiler

eyxqkAe.jpg

No shadow? No stars in the backround? I call fake Mun landing!

6 hours ago, Mukita12 said:

I create this screenshot16.png

What do you guys think?

thanks ill note and try and beat it! :D

today i worked on my competing fighter highly classified so no pictures just know its quite manuvurable and avoids missiles well (ive actually felt like i have nailed defensive flairs in BDA)

please note its clasified because its a mix with parts based off one of the most successful fighters ever in KSP

Edited by kerbinorbiter

9 hours ago, JacobTheFoxx said:

I made it to the Mun in the SSTO and had plenty of Δ/v left, didn't even try to do anything efficiently either. For some reason my flag exploded when I was about 5k away, so I did have to use a bit of magic and re-plant that after the mission. 

yTzF6vE.jpg

I like your SSTO. Very Concord like. Very SST SSTO if you will.

There might be an attempt to copy it....Errr.....be inspired by it.

Exploding flags. I get them all the time.

You plant them do a save and when you reload they are floating in the air. They don't settle to the surface after reloading.

Then when you leave or jump to another ship far enough the flag "Collides with the Mun" or Duna, ETC.

I think it as to do with them being "Far" but within physic range and they remember they are in the air.

My last frustrating one was planting one at the foot of the Mun arch so I could guide ships directly to it.

And then its gone. Arrrg..

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

6 hours ago, Seanburg2006 said:

Woah. what mod did you use to make that?

That looks really cool

3 hours ago, Loskene said:

Seconded. Hand over that big runway or the kerbal gets it.

The mod is KerbalKonstructs. Runway is rescaled stock (1.25x IIRC)

The rest of statics come from Kerbin Side Remastered and Omega's Stockalike Structures

4 hours ago, Martian Emigrant said:

I like your SSTO. Very Concord like. Very SST SSTO if you will.

Exploding flags. I get them all the time.

You plant them do a save and when you reload they are floating in the air. They don't settle to the surface after reloading.

Then when you leave or jump to another ship far enough the flag "Collides with the Mun" or Duna, ETC.

I think it as to do with them being "Far" but within physic range and they remember they are in the air.

My last frustrating one was planting one at the foot of the Mun arch so I could guide ships directly to it.

And then its gone. Arrrg..

ME

Haha, thanks. It doesn't look much like Concorde anymore as I've now changed the cockpit due to overheating issues. Good to hear I'm not the only one with exploding flags.

5 hours ago, Martian Emigrant said:

A similar inspiration had crossed my mind.  :)  (I don't think I've ever done a Mk1 SSTO before.)

+1 to @JacobTheFoxx for landing on the Mun the way normal aviators do would!  :)

Edited by Hotel26