What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Got visited by a murder of Nyan Cats when I fired up the game this morning, so I figured I should post my KSP activities for the last two days...

Tuesday began with an order for a Minnow 7 Adapter Unit at the Non Caseus Yards over Mun, with the intent of sending the unit over to space station Munport. The lack of having a smaller available docking port at the station was something that was long past due to be rectified. Said Adapter was completed and fueled by the end of the day on Tuesday, arriving and docking successfully at Munport, with its transfer stage de-orbited over Mun; I could've sent it back to NCY for recycling, but I just didn't feel like going to all the trouble. While it was still being printed, tourists Donpond, Eligan, Lanwell and Podgun Kerman were loaded aboard a Minnow 7b touring craft and launched from KSC, burning for Mun upon reaching LKO. I also went ahead and dismantled the Phage 7a base I'd constructed on Mun near the Piper Alpha outpost, recycling all the parts at PA. A new TBD 7a base-seeding rover was ordered up at Piper Alpha, a design from which I have historically been able to produce bases the game actually counts as "new". I'll get that 'new Mun outpost' contract done one way or the other... 

With nothing better to do, I decided to complete a survey mission I had for Ike involving a surface sample and EVA reports. Pilot Lerod Kerman and scientist Willin Kerman were loaded aboard the Spamcan 7a lander docked at LSV House Atreides over Ike and proceeded from there to the Scan Queen outpost in Ike's Central Mountain Range. The two kerbals planted flags on the surface, then went into the base to get their tickets punched all the way up to 3-star status. While they were there, the two operated Scan Queen's fab lab, printing up a KIS resource transfer station for the base; base engineer Thombles Kerman went ahead and attached the transfer station to the outpost near its launch pad, and then used it to refuel the lander. Willin and Lerod returned to the Spamcan at that point, and with the transfer station secured the two lifted off to the target zone 150 kilometers to the southeast, near Ike's southern pole. After landing in the vicinity, Willin got out and jetpacked around the landscape, hitting all four points successfully. The Spamcan then lifted off for orbit.

NLHX5zX.png
Spamcan 7a burning into orbit over Ike. 

I went ahead and established the Spamcan in a 25 kilometer equatorial orbit over Ike, with her inclination at something like 0.005 degrees according to KER. I figured that when the time came to launch nascent space stations from Scan Queen, having an object in the target orbit would be quite helpful. The first space station is only about four days left from completion at this point, so Lerod and Willin won't have terribly long of a wait ahead of them...

The Minnow finally arrived at Mun yesterday, docking safely at Munport. Eligan boarded the station's Spamcan and visited the Midlands before returning safely to the station, at which point the Minnow refueled, departed and burned for Kerbin. The Minnow will make a layover at space station Kerbinport before heading on to Minmus with Donpond as the sole passenger; the other tourists are only interested in Duna and Ike at this point.

Not much else has happened. A new drilling rig and ground communications station was added to the Deepwater Horizon outpost on Minmus (something I did because I noted signals from Duna were being bounced through there for some reason - and that's where signal degradation was happening). I also was able to get a load of Rocket Parts, Liquid Fuel and Oxidizer up from the Enchova Central outpost on Duna to LSV House Harkonnen in orbit via mass driver shot. I'm pretty sure I need to adjust Harkonnen's orbit to make life easier for the mass driver; it's taking way too much guidance data for it to do its job properly and there's a pretty substantial load limit with the way Harkonnen's orbit is at present. Finally, I went ahead and did some refueling mass driver shots between Piper Alpha and Munport just this morning.

I find myself in a holding pattern this morning. Harkonnen's print of a Spamcan 7c Duna lander is nearly complete but I've already calculated that there isn't sufficient fuel aboard Harkonnen to give the lander enough fuel to actually land, so it'll still be a while before Jeb and company can finally visit the outpost. Everything else is dependent on things under construction or in transit, which is not particularly interesting to write about, to be honest. Hoping to get to the point where I can send one of the warp ships back to Kerbin soon; I'm anxious to get on to doing things over at Eve. Still debating on the merits of any kind of ground base there...

I finally updated to 1.6 and decided to start fresh.

So after the customary hunt for mods, I fired the game and begun by putting in place the infrastructure for future missions.
So far, it means relays around Kerbin, Mun and Minmus (more out of fun than necessity), mapping probes around Mun and Minmus as well as probes to scan for ore. All in preparation for future manned missions and, hopefully, ground stations.

Next step will be designing a new lander for Mun and sending a crew, preferably close to an anomaly.

6 hours ago, JacobTheFoxx said:

Haha, thanks. It doesn't look much like Concorde anymore as I've now changed the cockpit due to overheating issues. Good to hear I'm not the only one with exploding flags.

6 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

A similar inspiration had crossed my mind.  :)  (I don't think I've ever done a Mk1 SSTO before.)

+1 to @JacobTheFoxx for landing on the Mun the way normal aviators do would!  :)

I hadn't made an SSTO with the pointy MK1 cockpit in a while and now I remember why....They blow up.

Have to climb steeper, re-entry is finicky, return from a Mun impossible without Aerobraking first or getting into LKO first....

Started playing with radiators. Not sure if that will make a difference and they are ugly....

Long ago we could put an antenna on the nose. The cockpit was protected being behind. Now they bust in the wind.....

Don't know. There is trials to be done.

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

10 hours ago, Mukita12 said:

No....... Use Daredevil instead

"Daredevil" is probably the most epic piece from that soundtrack, but "Sol Squadron" is probably more appropriate to the fighter in the screenshot.  Either that, or "Archange".

"There are Kerbals like you in every generation, and I've launched every last one of them..."

14 minutes ago, Fearless Son said:

"Daredevil" is probably the most epic piece from that soundtrack, but "Sol Squadron" is probably more appropriate to the fighter in the screenshot.  Either that, or "Archange".

"There are Kerbals like you in every generation, and I've launched every last one of them..."

I'm kinda fond of Magic Spear I for launching rockets, myself. :cool:

1 hour ago, MaverickSawyer said:

I'm kinda fond of Magic Spear I for launching rockets, myself. :cool:

I can see why you would, but I didn't enjoy that mission much myself, so I don't really have good memories associated with that music.

Mission: "You're going to need to flow low and very steady to remain focused on these targets."

Me: "Okay, I'll take an A-10 since I need something stable at low speed that can absorb some damage instead of break off if it comes to it."

Mission: "Ha-ha, just kidding!  Hope you can fly real high really fast!"

Well, I made some changes to my SSTO. Mostly weight saving, removed the battery bank, reaction wheels, changed out the cockpit completely and lowered the amount of oxidizer. All but the last two of those changes were bad. Of course I did no testing before heading to Duna, which caused this crash after at least 50-100 quickloads of trying to land properly. Now I've got Jeb, Bill, Bob, Billybob and Jacob Kerman stuck on the surface of Duna. I guess a rescue mission will be happening tomorrow. The kerbals did pack chess, plenty of music and their jetpacks, so they should be entertained until Valentina arrives to pick them all up.

QBN77eI.jpg

8 hours ago, Martian Emigrant said:

I hadn't made an SSTO with the pointy MK1 cockpit in a while and now I remember why....They blow up.

Tail re-entry worked for me.  Pump the fuel to the aft tanks.  De-orbit.  When the speed is low enough, pump forward and turn prograde.

(I usually de-orbit by lowering periapsis to 50km, but this spacecraft likes 25-30.)

I started with 2x RAPIERs and a NERV, like @JacobTheFoxx but then tried 2x NERVs and a RAPIER and that worked, too.

Four Of DIamonds:

AQzhS9s.png

Edited by Hotel26

37 minutes ago, Loskene said:

Yo, did you get the old scifi ships mod working again? The TARDIS does look similar.

TBH, that is an old screenshot, I may have uploaded it here 3 or 4 times before. :lol:

I searched through my files, but I can't find the mod, but I think the TARDIS was just a custom stand alone part, so if you can find the Doctor, you may be able to use his her (O lord...) time machine. ;)

Edited by Triop

27 minutes ago, Triop said:

TBH, that is an old screenshot, I may have uploaded it here 3 or 4 times before. :lol:

I searched through my files, but I can't find the mod, but I think the TARDIS was just a custom stand alone part, so if you can find the Doctor, you may be able to use his her (O lord...) time machine. ;)

Ah, you got my hopes up for a second there. Someone get @linuxgurugamer on the horn to rescue this classic from purgatory. It even had a full sized USS Voyager with its little stubby landing legs, and RCS thrusters powerful enough for VTOL. Great mod and I miss it dearly.

19 minutes ago, Loskene said:

Ah, you got my hopes up for a second there. Someone get @linuxgurugamer on the horn to rescue this classic from purgatory. It even had a full sized USS Voyager with its little stubby landing legs, and RCS thrusters powerful enough for VTOL. Great mod and I miss it dearly.

Lol, I found this and it seems that Nyan cats are relative in time . . . . (*Module manager mod, Japan cat day, april fools)

Edited by Triop

17 minutes ago, Loskene said:

47 minutes ago, Triop said:

The mod is still available on Curse, here:

https://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/scifi-shipyards-v3-1

15 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

The mod is still available on Curse, here:

https://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/scifi-shipyards-v3-1

Aye, but does it work on 1.6? A lot of the ships had functions and aero models that broke with later updates. It would also be nice if it was compatible with the alcubierre drive mod. Haven't got a clue how to do any of that myself.

Oh nevermind it was compatible with the warp drive, but anyway it still needs a refresher.

Edited by Loskene

If any of you want to send me patches & fixes for 1.6, I'll curate this and do a real release once there are significant updates.

21 minutes ago, Triop said:

No idea what this is, but it's still better then "The Last Jedi"  :lol:

X62gpMo.png

That is the USS Stargazer. Captain Picard's old ship

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

If any of you want to send me patches & fixes for 1.6, I'll curate this and do a real release once there are significant updates.

That is the USS Stargazer. Captain Picard's old ship

Why did you push over my ship ? :o

giphy.gif

Enough internet for one day, I'll let myself out . . .

giphy.gif

9Tc6QUT.png

Edited by Triop