What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Well, I think it is turning out to be bittersweet.  I'm back to my career now and realize that a mistake I made a day or so might end my career.  I accidentally upgraded a building at KSC and I have only 3347 kerbal bucks.  I can buy enough cardboard tube to make a toy rocket now!  Arghh...  can I sell anything?  Should I take a buyout or something in the admin building?  I have unlocked a pretty good part of the science tree and have 828 science points on hand.  Not sure what to do?  Don't really want to start over, and don't want to really cheat in cash.  Hum....  what to do?  I'd be happy to listen to suggestions.

Just now, Elroy Jetson said:

Well, I think it is turning out to be bittersweet.  I'm back to my career now and realize that a mistake I made a day or so might end my career.  I accidentally upgraded a building at KSC and I have only 3347 kerbal bucks.  I can buy enough cardboard tube to make a toy rocket now!  Arghh...  can I sell anything?  Should I take a buyout or something in the admin building?  I have unlocked a pretty good part of the science tree and have 828 science points on hand.  Not sure what to do?  Don't really want to start over, and don't want to really cheat in cash.  Hum....  what to do?  I'd be happy to listen to suggestions.

What kind of contracts do you have going on, and what does your rep look like right now?

With 828 sci, the Research Rights Sell-Out would net you between √34,776 and √42,966. Bail-Out Grant might be your better option, depending on where your rep is; it'll get you between √84 and √103 per point of rep spent. Really your only two choices if you don't want to cheat, unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Don't a lot of contracts have advances?  Couldn't you grind some easy ones where the advance will pay for the rocket?

Was just about to suggest this. Also, if your rep isn't terrible, you could decline contracts, generating new ones until you have some which meet the requirements above (where the advance would cover the cost of the rocket), or until you get contracts you can complete in your current state, i.e science from space around Kerbin, obviously the latter option depends on if you have the means to do this, such as satellites etc. already in orbit.

Playing with KOS automation still.  I think my next step needs to be to be to get enough science to unlock the high res ScanSAT sensors so I can map the Mun and Minmus to work out flat spots to land on.

So with that in mind Bill is on his way to the Mun solo (no probe core for backup so no SAS which might prove to be a mistake) to work out how to land on a flatish bit, and get some juicy science to let the next missions do more complex stuff.

So far he's made it to Mun orbit without using any nodes and without me touching the controls, which I'm pretty happy with.  Landing should be relatively easy compared to getting there.  He's got 2800m/s dV remaining so even if he needs to start hover taxiing down slopes he should have plenty of fuel as I think he should need around 1500 to land, take off, and get back to Kerbin.  I deliberately over engineered this one because there's there's going to be a fair bit of trial and error involved.

EH9QfSC.png 

TcsXLZi.png

While waiting for ReStock before starting my next play-through I went back through some old pix of earlier games for inspiration...

My first large ship, The "Aldrin" - assembled on orbit (nicknamed the Princess Leia because of the big side tanks). The re-usable lander is docked on the nose.

Lander docked, Aldrin ready for transfer to Munar orbit

First Large station - the Aldrin core is on the right, under construction and waiting for delivery of the side fuel tanks

Aldrin core docked with Lab waiting for second launch

My first serious attempt at a mining base

bHtmMvD.png

First Duna Landing

B7jP992.png

Edited by Tyko

In my limited free time in the last two weeks, between school and car shopping (I totaled my beloved 2009 Honda Element EX AWD late last month, which I loved more than my entire immediate family combined. Took the insurance company almost a month to declare it totaled, and then while car shopping I discovered my 6ish foot height and very broad frame doesn't fit in most midsize SUV's of the last two generations. Settled on a 2013 Toyota Highlander 4x4. It's good enough, but I don't think I'll ever love another car or person as much as my Element. The closest Element to me with low mileage is a thousand miles a way), I've been preparing another mission blitz launch out to Jool. So far the fleet will consist of two large space stations to be mated to asteroids on arrival, a two part tower base for Pol (which includes an 80m ring), a massive (close two 1000 tonnes fully fueled and ored) dome-cage base I'm going to land around the dead Deep Space Kraken, 5 rescue and retrieval rockets, and 6 new satellites/relays. Probably 40 million kredits, which I did much science and ferried many tourists to earn. Depending on homework load, I should deploy the fleet from their holding orbits around Kerbin sometime this weekend. I still haven't designed one of the stations. I think I want to attach a cage-like station around the D-class asteroid the contract requires; speaking of which...

Does anyone know the average diameter of a D-Class asteroid?

Just now, Zosma Procyon said:

Just use MechJeb. In the real world computers do the flying. Safer and cheap that way.

1. I didn't say that.

2. If you're gonna be running around suggesting that new players "Just use Mechjeb" instead of being proud of accomplishing something difficult by actually playing the game, we're gonna need to break out the fisticuffs.

Just now, Geonovast said:

2. If you're gonna be running around suggesting that new players "Just use Mechjeb" instead of being proud of accomplishing something difficult by actually playing the game, we're gonna need to break out the fisticuffs.

As well, autopilots are much better understood when you can do the manual manuever.  Otherwise, a lot of their details are confusing.  And you can't properly judge if the autopilot is tuned well.

A good example is actual docking.  It's better to use RCS Build Aid in the VAB and then use Navball Docking Alignment Indicator and Docking Port Alignment Indicator to guide a slow manual docking.

But MechJeb can be a lifesaver too.  It kept me sane through the dark days of KSP 0.23's crazy weak joints.

29 minutes ago, Zosma Procyon said:

(I totaled my beloved 2009 Honda Element EX AWD late last month, which I loved more than my entire immediate family combined. Took the insurance company almost a month to declare it totaled, and then while car shopping I discovered my 6ish foot height and very broad frame doesn't fit in most midsize SUV's of the last two generations. Settled on a 2013 Toyota Highlander 4x4. It's good enough, but I don't think I'll ever love another car or person as much as my Element. The closest Element to me with low mileage is a thousand miles a way), 

Oh, what a drag man.  I looked into those awhile back and was shocked to find out how popular they are, and that there is quite the used market for them as they havent been built since 2011.   I guess people really love them and like you will go well out of their way to secure replacements when they get rid of their old ones.  The CRV and Pilots dont have anywhere near the same cool look the Element had.  Never did end up in one.  

Unrealistic and not to scale? Maybe. Cool looking? I think so...

eosKyuA.png

I also Kraken-proofed a train, scouting out the Mun to set up bases so I have a network for these trains to serve :P I found a couple pretty good ore concentrations but on the side of a mountainous crater doesn't seem the best place to set up for neither...Maybe Minumus will prove better?

Edited by Spacetraindriver
ok the craters are the ones with the best concentrations so...

52 minutes ago, kurgut said:

COido9n.png

Hide contents

YRzQ26I.png

Hide contents

aYwsF9V.png

Jeb is feeling great

:sticktongue:

Chuckles.

13 minutes ago, Espatie said:

I've just realised that one of my Space Stations is crewed by Geofemy Kerman, Geofrie Kerman and Geofry Kerman.

This is not confusing in the slightest.

That reminds me of a story.

I once was copilot on a business jet with another guy (The Captain) that had the same name as me (Unrelated if only by a gazillion generations).

When filling the logbook I decided not to put in our middle initials. More fun that way. :wink:

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

1 hour ago, Espatie said:

I've just realised that one of my Space Stations is crewed by Geofemy Kerman, Geofrie Kerman and Geofry Kerman.

This is not confusing in the slightest.

Are either of the last two sitting on the Blutonium Throne of Westeros? If so, I'm surprised they passed their psychological profile test...

Last couple of days have been fairly eventful. With a Minnow 7b touring craft en route to Minmus and nowhere for it to dock at space station Minmusport, the day began with a print ordered up of a Minnow Docking Adapter at the Non Mentha Yards in low Minmus orbit. The print was completed before the day was out and the module successfully docked at the station. In the meantime, refueling mass driver shots took place at the South Base outpost near KSC and the Deepwater Horizon outpost on Minmus, refueling space station Kerbinport and Non Mentha, respectively.

A TBD 7a base-seeding rover completed its print at the Piper Alpha outpost on Mun. Outpost pilot Patrod Kerman along with engineer Haydorf Kerman boarded the nascent rover and roved three kilometers west of Piper Alpha at night, finding a suitable location to set up a temporary 5-kerbal capacity base for contract. Haydorf unpacked and inflated the structures and both kerbals boarded the temporary outpost. At this point, the two are waiting daylight to have sufficient power to print up a docking port and antenna, which I really oughta get around to adding to the rover's design at some point or another...

Finally, the Enchova Central outpost on Duna was able to shoot up a sufficient supply of Oxidizer via mass driver to LSV House Harkonnen in orbit (special thanks to @shdwlrd for suggesting I look at the individual craft for module changes; details on the Pathfinder thread). With enough fuel finally on board, the Spamcan 7c lander that had been printed aboard Harkonnen several days earlier was fueled to capacity. Jeb, Val and Bill along either engineer Gemlorf Kerman boarded the lander and it was released from Harkonnen's drydock.

Ffo1Yjp.png
Only been waiting to do this for something like the last two weeks...

Yesterday the Spamcan landed at Enchova Central. The crew piled out individually to plant flags and re-boarded, and then the task of hooking the lander up to the outpost for refueling fell to Bill. The refueling effort was a success, and as planned, Jeb and Val's visit cleared an outstanding contract for a new outpost on Duna; no replacement contract was offered. Refueling complete, Bill returned the KIS resource transfer station connector used for the job, then stowed that part aboard the outpost and re-boarded the lander. The Spamcan then launched to rendezvous with House Harkonnen, which will take place later today. The plan is to leave the Spamcan in orbit over Duna in a target orbit for the planned Dunaport space station, which is currently under construction at Enchova Central. Harkonnen will also prepare a return-to-Kerbin module at this point; she'll fly by Eve for contract on her way back to Kerbin, which is going to happen as soon as possible at this point.

Docking Take Two -

I expected to fail at several subsequent attempts of the docking tutorial but actually managed to complete it again and even learned a few things in the process!  I failed to get screen shots that I thought I had, but below are two from the exercise.  The one I didn't get showed me almost docked but the magnetic coupling wouldn't attach.  I tried backing away slightly but was afraid of rubber banding off to the Mun!  The solution was turning off SAS.  As soon as I turned off sas it clamped together perfectly!  I'm still getting the hang of the translation controls, seems like you need to be in the ROT mode to use them?  I'm playing on PS4 so I'm going to ROT, then R1 and L joystick.  That is going to make this much easier as I get some more practice!  My biggest issue is still the "homing to the station" course/path I seem to take while getting down to the last few meters.  I end up flying circles around the stranded ship while trying to get close.  Somehow I think I need to start further away and get lined up for a more straight in approach?  Gona do this again for sure, very satisfying when the ole clamp-matic bangs together!

(Stand by for photos, I need to figure out how to upload them here...)

edit: I only found one topic on uploading photos and I didn't see where it addressed my question?  Is there a way to upload a photo here on the site and then link it into my post, or exactly how do I do this?

Edited by Elroy Jetson

My probe called the Transplanetary Orbital Solar System Satellite or TOSSS ( pronounced toss. The last S is silent :D) finished it's 4th correction burn to get a Laythe encounter followed by a Jool gravity assist and luckily got a trajectory close to Eeloo's orbit!

32 minutes ago, Elroy Jetson said:

Docking Take Two -

I expected to fail at several subsequent attempts of the docking tutorial but actually managed to complete it again and even learned a few things in the process!  I failed to get screen shots that I thought I had, but below are two from the exercise.  The one I didn't get showed me almost docked but the magnetic coupling wouldn't attach.  I tried backing away slightly but was afraid of rubber banding off to the Mun!  The solution was turning off SAS.  As soon as I turned off sas it clamped together perfectly!  I'm still getting the hang of the translation controls, seems like you need to be in the ROT mode to use them?  I'm playing on PS4 so I'm going to ROT, then R1 and L joystick.  That is going to make this much easier as I get some more practice!  My biggest issue is still the "homing to the station" course/path I seem to take while getting down to the last few meters.  I end up flying circles around the stranded ship while trying to get close.  Somehow I think I need to start further away and get lined up for a more straight in approach?  Gona do this again for sure, very satisfying when the ole clamp-matic bangs together!

edit: I only found one topic on uploading photos and I didn't see where it addressed my question?  Is there a way to upload a photo here on the site and then link it into my post, or exactly how do I do this?

Congrat on docking.

It is a steep learning curve. The worst one is learning to move in EVA me think. Maybe they are just as bad.

As for pictures. No, I do not believe you can upload to this forum. We don't have a portfolio that I am aware of.

You must upload to some photo storage site. I use Imgur. Not perfect but you can link to it.

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

1 hour ago, Elroy Jetson said:

I, like @Martian Emigrant, also use Imgur. Once you've got your files uploaded over there, you can click on the pics you want to post over here; on the right hand side there'll be one that says "Direct Link". You just copy that and then paste it into your post where you want your image to show up.

Been using Imgur for five years now; it has yet to fail me. Also has the virtue of being free to use (last I checked anyway).

Edited by capi3101

Yesterday evening I made it to double digits, in my Kerbin Sorta-Circumnavigation by completing leg 10 of my trip around the entire mainland coast of the planet. That's 10 times that the boat has either used it's ISRU set up (only used twice as it's so slow the amount of warping felt like cheating) to refill its fuel tanks, or met with a tanker aircraft, for a fresh slug of juice.

Being a little optimistic, I've made it maybe 10% around the coastline and that's taken me about almost 2 weeks to accomplish, with a leg driven pretty much every evening.

This is the latest map of my crew's travels, with the yellow being the past 9 legs, the red, the just completed leg 10. When I started this I had no idea I'd have so much of the green (yet to be done) coastline still ahead of me after nearly 2 weeks.

KEzXAE3.jpg

To help keep the boat (that's this fella)...

V5vo0as.jpg

... on the move the KSC is helping out with refuelling tankers, as well as fuel depots rocketed to far flung parts of Kerbin.

That'd be them in the low sun of northern Kerbin.

zjJ0IVX.png

This depot (Alpha) is now dry of fuel, but the two Juice Goose tanker planes still have enough fuel onboard for another 2 or 3 refills. After that those birds will need to fly on to a new depot locaton, further along the coast. Fuel Depot Beta will probably be launched to the easter deserts sometime tomorrow.

This is turning out to be much more involved and way more work than I'd anticipated, but at least Jeb, Val, Bill and Bob are enjoying their extended R&R.

HgtEHKu.jpg