What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I launched a satellite today, for the first time with Moho as its planned destination!

hum3Gac.png

xedTU2W.png

Once again I'm stunned by how RealPlume enhances lauching a rocket.

ED6xE87.png

6IAKA1S.png

TsO8if4.png

7wwO1kD.png

The first stage could have brought me more than just to orbit. However, to lower debris count I always decouple slightly before the periapsis leaves the atmosphere.

cQE5hCs.png

I launched the satellite into a 45° orbit. Subtracting the velocity change for a Moho transfer, it works out quite well for a semi-random guess!

There's just one problem. The inclination is flipped. I went north during ascent, I should have gone south. No problem though - I just have to wait some 200 days for the orbits to line up correctly.

Which pilot needs to be sitting forward to control his plane? pwa, Jeb says its better like this, "more visiblity"...

xrFPcw3.png

gd9vFhl.png

Barnstorming stuff:

sXZGcpd.png

2UpWdcp.png

Gotta be careful on landing tho.., jeb's face is only few centimeter from the ground.., and this thing has no brake too...

(I smahed the elevon when going underwater)

5aiLR2Z.png

Landed !

bz1GysB.png

On 2/28/2019 at 6:38 AM, Angel-125 said:

I assembled the Duna Flyer and removed the docking ports used for transport and construction:

How did you removed them? It's a thing for me on large space stations, part count and lag will feel happier.

KSC office has recently published a number of controversial photos, claiming that a Kerbal'ed expedition had been sent to a dwarf planet Dres. Many a skeptic, however, believe that these photos have been taken on Mun and Dres doesn't, in fact, exist.

tfq8aa8az79atzdzg.jpg

e2ip7ihaie3osv9zg.jpg

qt18ihyuh3utf7dzg.jpg

Meanwhile, I've achieved this:

8x0xdvglu9z7uf8zg.jpg

I also readied another rocket saucer launch. In this case I'm experimenting with total reusability, with no vessel recovery. Instead I have support vehicles to prep the rocket saucer for launch. If this goes well I'll definitely use it extensively in my next game.

First up: refuel the rocket saucer, replenish its snacks, and charge the batteries:

ZILr4lE.png

Samalla installed the cargo:

1ZCKfGI.png

Astrovan takes the astronauts to their ship:

peyRUHa.png

uFVLLk1.png

Preflight..

PgwRKCO.png

Taxiing to the end of the runway...

tZZn8Xx.png

RI8zlQq.png

... and off we go!

LCl4eJD.png

Tonight I continued with my Jool-5 mission. When I finished last night, my Tylo lander had just made it into orbit and redocked with the tug. I looked up the next launch window to return to Laythe where the mother ship was orbiting and it was less than one hour away, so no waiting. After a quick transfer, I rendezvoused with the mother, docked, and refueled the tug. Val jumped over to the pilot seat of the tug and a new crew (Nasby, Bill, and Nedly) jumped into the Laythe lander. The tug and lander separated from the mother ship and docked before transferring to a low circular orbit around Laythe.

THIICwe.jpg

I had to wait for a few orbits before any land came into the sunlight, then I aimed the lander for one of the two large islands on the equator. It took three tries to hit the land and find a flattish spot, but it eventually worked out.

JadlFCG.jpg

Re-entry into Laythe's atmosphere. It was a pretty mild descent, and to be honest I probably could have survived without the heat shields. Better safe than sorry though. I would have hated to come all this way and fail because my lander was exploding on descent.

ULoIvdu.jpg

Landing was uneventful after I finally got the aim point for re-entry right. There is a little slope at the landing site, but not enough for the ship to move. This ship is another case where the ladder had to be carefully planned. It would only work on Laythe and Kerbin because the space between the landing gear and the fuel tank is too tight for a kerbal helmet.

48QdO8I.jpg

The proud kerbels posing in front of the flag. That's two moons down, three to go.

EYEOMu1.jpg

Ascent and docking with the tug was pretty uneventful. Re-docking with the mother proved harder than I expected, but I managed after backing off and re-aligning a couple of times. With everything back together, Val and her team have finished their half of the Jool mission and now they can relax. Next time, Jeb will take his team of three out to land on Vall, Pol, and Bop.

dThXbRW.jpg

Edited by Grogs

I've started a trial road trip to the mountains 310km north of KSC, where I have a Juice Goose (thank you, Comrade @purpleivan!) waiting to refuel the Road Runner.

NdaV8ja.png

So far, ship's log says I am averaging 29.87 m/s. Huh, that's pretty average.  I'm using line-of-sight distance measuring (so hills, deviations, even the curvature of the earth isn't being counted exactly).

Road Runner has enough panels that it uses no fuel during the daytime -- at least -- not on the flat.  It's about as fun to drive as a mini-van because the only way I know to damage it is to drive it off a very tall cliff.

I've always thought KSP should have a double-tap gesture on B to lock the brakes.  Gee, if some bright spark wrote that mod, it could also lock W on double-tap for long-distance rover escapades...  :)

I have multiple projects running on the Mun.  I just delivered a batch (6) of Ladybug super-size jet packs there but discovered there must be a box of 6x Okto2 sitting somewhere in a corner back at the VAB because none of these Ladybugs have a controller.  The jet packs are pretty much unflyable without the controller, I've ruefully discovered.  Dagnabit...

And I took a Salamander for a spin.  It's destined to provide scheduled, long-distance sub-orbital connections between 'hub' bases on the Mun.  (Pilot needs to stay current to fly this one.)

7hJS7Hc.png

Edited by Hotel26

Landing on the Mun. Again. Because there was not much else to do; currently I'm waiting for the final adjustment of a satellite's orbit, which is in over 60 days.
1Dymrii.png

I would advise you not to worry about the fact that I didnt strut the boosters up. Don't worry about it, it's a feature!
8ZXD5CO.png

LH4yHgL.png

So I went to do the transfer and landed on the surface. However there wasn't enough fuel to even reach Munar orbit afterwards. So that was a failure. Got Jeb and Bill back to Kerbin (quicksaving every half a second) and at least I got a free test of a... very strange system.

Directly beneath the tank is a heat shield. Then a decoupler and then the engine. I'm using fuel lines to connect the tank with the engine because while crossfueling is possible on decoupler, heat shields always block.

After that I added another stage with 1700m/s additionaly dV which was enough to land and return!
13L0Xkk.png

cWaoZnc.png

It's been a day of change today in the Kerbin Sorta-Circumnavigation, with the tanker planes starting their relocation from the chilly northern climes to the heat of the desert.

Luckily for Gusman Kerman, the pilot's lounge is close by.

kkcoNNq.jpg

Well, one thing that never changes... Bob and his fascination with mountains.

JR5UT5l.jpg

After a long trek around the coast, the Coastal Cruiser arrives at the location of a Juice Goose 1, that's been waiting here almost 2 weeks ago (real time), instead of the usual "fuel flies to you" pattern so far.

lbxa9Kp.jpg

Continuing the Jool-5 mission. With Tylo and Laythe complete, it's time for Jeb's team (Bob and pilot Tanwise) to complete the Vall-Pol-Bop portion of the mission. You may be wondering why Val isn't doing the Vall portion. Apparently she got so tired of hearing the 'Val on Vall' joke. After a number of KSC engineers started 'singing soprano' administration decided to send Jeb instead. The VBP mission consists of a transport with (hopefully) enough fuel to take the lander to all three moons and back. First stop, Vall. Here Jeb and Bob have boarded the seats on the lander and are breaking away from Tanwise in the transport.

W6kwBAt.jpg

Heading down to the surface and getting ready for the suicide burn. I didn't time it well here, and the landing almost felt harder than Tylo. Still, I managed to land it intact with enough fuel for the ascent.

FGXpiGq.jpg

Here are Jeb and Bob posing by the flag on Vall.

O2cpRqk.jpg

Ascent and re-docking with the transport were pretty uneventful, although the lander only had ~ 80 m/s left when it finished. The transport carries enough monopropellant to completely refill it, so there should be plenty left for Pol and Bop. I eyeballed the transfer to Bop, and after a few adjustments I was able to get an encounter.

yb4d6yh.jpg

My Sarnus fleet began arriving...

bc45tcd9th13mc7zg.jpg

zt3wxftbtzzk9d4zg.jpg

u5cnsk7mkw3pdw3zg.jpg

The main ship - KSS Voyager - is still 130 days away, though. Oh well, time to start making maps. Ovok was given the honor of being the first moon visited by mapping sat.

4n446o8t8y1ynhbzg.jpg

Damn... it looks so smooth... It might be a good place for a bit extraplanetary launchpad base - provided all necessary resources are present in good-enough quantities.

5 hours ago, Delay said:

And - just for fun - I decided to launch a satellite to L1 of Kerbin. Why not?

XiAuQkT.png

Let's see how long I can keep it there.

:0.0:

I had wondered about having a satellite falling in and out of two SOI.

But I thought it was impossible in the game........

So is that a Halo orbit?

5 hours ago, AFF said:

d6Nx1dp.jpgUJLm4DN.jpg

I love it and will steal the design for evaluation.

ME

11 minutes ago, Martian Emigrant said:

But I thought it was impossible in the game........

It is impossible in stock KSP, but I'm playing with Principia installed, which means I can work with n-body physics.

And yes, it guess it would be a halo orbit. And strangely I managed to get it very close to elliptical.

49 minutes ago, Atkara said:

And then I went nuts... 325kg this time around, 320 without the antenna :p

9JXvwSv.jpg

38LNFIF.jpg

It's got barely enough monoprop to make it down to the surface of the Mun, but lands -safely :D

Il like it.

Just love minimalistic designs.

But why the docking port?

In the past I have had a Kerbal take-off with insufficient fuel from the the Mun.

Ditch the craft establish themselves in orbit by RCS then doing a rendez-vous,

If the fuel can't quite do a rendez-vous then the orbiting return ship does before the last gram of propellant is expended.

ME

8 minutes ago, Martian Emigrant said:

But why the docking port?

The docking port is there as a control point. It has half the mass of an OKTO2 so, I picked that instead. After all, it's not as if like the Kerbal on the seat will ever do anything more complex than pro/retrograde hold.

Did some final touches in the meantime:

c6TNDJW.jpg

I think I'm happy with it now :)

Edited by Atkara

9 minutes ago, Atkara said:

The docking port is there as a control point

Try it using the jump seat as control point.

For historical context, I got interested in this kind of craft back when @Brikoleur did his Flea series.  Personal transport on the lunar surface, particularly with pulse engines, is very fun!

Edited by Hotel26