What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

5 minutes ago, mcbmaestro said:

Laythe exploration boat is ready now to somehow get this thing on a rocket..

Propably a radial decoupler on the body, with a long I-Beam attached to it. Then, you offset the whole thing on whatever you'll have next, to minimize torque. How you get it to splash down on Laythe... if it can't glide, you'll have to go for the heat shield/parachutes combo.

Today I worked on closing out my Jool-5 mission. Lots of rendezvous on the agenda today. Buzz Aldrin would be happy. First order of business was to get the two crews off of Bop. Jeb and Bob went first, docked with the tug/transport in orbit, then ditched the lander after emptying the fuel tanks.

eu7hXuP.jpg

Val and Scoop flew up next and docked with the tug. They transferred all the fuel off the tug, then ditched it. They then docked with Bob and Jeb onboard the Vall-Pol-Bop transport so that everyone could travel back to the mother ship together.HDV4VsC.jpg

Back at Laythe, they rendezvoused with the mother ship and redocked. All 9 of the crew were back together for the first time in over a month. Alex Moon's launch planner says we have to wait a year and a half for the best launch window, but there's a pretty reasonable transfer only 10 days away. There is plenty of extra fuel on the mother ship, so they go for it. At least I think they have extra fuel. The dV display in game says there's not enough, but I'm 99.99% sure it's messed up. Maybe the way I've had to keep rearranging the staging as I separated and re-docked ships has messed with it?

OcGALFD.jpg

Here's the last glimpse of Jool as the mother ship pulls away from its SOI

cSNNXn6.jpg

And nearly two years later, the crew catches sight of Kerbin. It's the first time they've seen it in five years. Tomorrow night will be their big homecoming.

T5kQew9.jpg

It was more boating around the coast for me.

eOS3EDa.jpg

Then went ashore so Bob and Val could play in the rover.

dZEVjfz.jpg

Finding cacti.

FQ3utca.jpg

Scaling mountains.

F1mW2Bh.jpg

But not quite able to reach the peak... should have brought a bigger battery (300 units is a bit pitiful).

All that time in the seat made Bob a bit itchy.

IzNYK8F.jpg

Then out in the boat again.

8pX37ri.jpg

So apart from a fatal error with B9 Partswitch , hence the first half of the video , the modules look a bit weird , I had two delete two B9 Legacy cfg's so also lost two parts like what....!!!??? here is a epic build shared to me by a friend he built as a VTOL I modded it slightly with pretty lights and landing gear :lol: , oh the second version the passengers wanted a better view :wacko: its fun to fly though .

Edited by Puggonaut 2

Yesterday's activities began with the landing of the Crater Maker 7 8-passenger lander at the Deepwater Horizon outpost on Minmus, with tourists Donpond and Wehrming Kerman aboard along with rescuee-pilot Kardon Kerman and colonists Shannon, Stauki, Tansey and Kabert Kerman aboard. The lander nearly came down on top of one of the base's Castillo domes, missing it by scant inches - I really need to go ahead and define a landing waypoint at DH. Owing to the fact that it was night-time at landing (of course) and that I couldn't remember where I'd put the base's Mineshaft crew tube (which I needed to offload the colonists), the tourists had to wait in the lander for four hours until local daylight. At that point, Janbles got out, found the Mineshaft and moved it to a location where it could hook up with the Crater Maker. The colonists offloaded, the lander was refueled and began making its way back to space station Minmusport. Briefly. I remembered about ten meters off the ground that I wanted Kardon to plant a flag on the surface; it was the whole reason why he tagged along. The engine shut off and the lander set down about fifty meters south of DH, at which point Kardon scrambled out (used Ship Manifest to do it), planted his flag, and then promptly forgot how to get back aboard the lander (because no open hatches - you know, why I had to use Ship Manifest to go EVA)...

r1bpeRz.png
Kardon's stupidity level is comparable to Ceri's, but I don't think it's fair to say he was the stupid one in this case. Really should've left an open hatch on that lander design...

It became necessary for Janbles to leave her precious fusion reactor a second time so she could temporarily remove one of the lander's Mineshafts, allowing Kardon to get back aboard.

9WjlVDM.png
Engineers. Don't leave home without them.

Once Kardon was safely aboard the Crater Maker once more, Janbles put the Mineshaft back in place and returned to the outpost. The lander then made its way back Minmusport. Upon docking, Donpond, Wehrming and Kardon embarked aboard Necessary Evil docked at the station. After refueling and final checks, Necessary Evil departed the station and burned to return to Kerbin.

The other big story of the day yesterday was the completion of the construction of the India-2 rover at the Scan Queen outpost on Ike. The rover's skycrane delivered it to a target zone about eighty kilometers to the north of Scan Queen, where it successfully conducted a 4-point gravioli survey. Job done, the rover is probably just going to sit there for the rest of this career save. Meanwhile, back at Scan Queen, final adjustments to the design of the Nostromo 7 resource delivery lander took place and construction commenced; it's expected to be completed in 11 hours. Among the last-minute adjustments, the Nostromo was set up to carry Uraninite in its initial consist. The plan for the lander is to deliver a load of Uraninite to space station Dunaport, where it will be shot down to the Enchova Central outpost on the Dunan surface for uranium enrichment via the station's mass driver (the necessary facilities for enrichment were also added to Enchova Central). The Nostromo will then be reconfigured for Minerals handling at that point, and Minerals will be shot up from Enchova Central for final delivery back to Scan Queen. I am a little concerned that the lander won't have sufficient fuel for a full consist; I can make any necessary adjustments as the need arises, though. It has a main resources tank and two side tanks; I probably can reconfigure the center tank for fuel.

Pathfinder's a pretty awesome mod, I must say...

Prior to the end of the day yesterday, I received the word that the first eight Colonists delivered to Deepwater Horizon had, after 40 days, finally finished out their contracts, netting me a whopping √20M. I'm about three hours from finishing up the rest of that contract with the other seven Colonists - three hours from having a space program flush with cash. I'll be sending a Minnow 7 touring craft home from Minmus at the next opportunity, and once the Nostromo is finished printing I'll probably be building a Bill Clinton 7b grabber probe next. The idea is to have that probe latch on to LSV House Atreides in Ike orbit, which will then warp back to Kerbin. The probe detaches, I land the thing, and then I should be heading on to Eve on the exploration contracts...

I havn't had much time to play and even less to post but here's a quick resumé of what I've been doing lately:

(Most of this is pretty boring so I will be pretty quick about it and I won't provide screenies but don't worry I will be more precise when I launch my Duna mission)

I did a Minmus flyby,with Valentina (still under 30 parts)

And a Minmus landing with Val(one biome)

And I have an unfinished Minmus landing mission (two biomes) with jeb.

Mean while in my sandbox save I have begun to design an SSTO:

RMl25YV.png

Version 0.99

Currently at version 1.22

Edited by MiscelanousItem

I don't have a picture available on this computer, but I launched my largest single launch space station yet last night. It's a hemispherical cage designed to fit around an E-Class asteroid. 48 m tall by 84 m in diameter, and it looked rather ridiculous on its launch vehicle; like a woman with very long legs wearing a hoop skirt. It's also designed to accommodate the attachment of the other half of the cage, which I might design to build and launch at some point in the future. When this station arrives at its station orbiting Tylo and docks with its asteroid, a suitable one I already have in place, it will be named "Androndicus Station, after Shakespear's best play. Until its arrival it is simply the "Tylo Asteroid Cage".

Okay here are some pictures.

Bk7dGo9.png

Lifting off.

udpGFMy.png

And here it is during the final parking burn.

KGvrx1u.png

This is from an asteroid fit test of an earlier version. That is an E-Class asteroid.

Edited by Zosma Procyon

38 minutes ago, MSA said:

Speaking of not having pictures, how do you add them?

You need to upload them to a photo-sharing site (Imgur is the one most folks here use), and then post them in from there as links. The forums themselves haven't supported photos since the Great Coffee Spill of 2013.

Yesterday I started a new career and made it to orbit on the third launch from the pad.

orbiter1orbit.png

orbiter1return.png

Got 68 science!

orbiter1sci.png

Also first orbit in any save for me without MechJeb!

17 hours ago, suzuki said:

KSP_x64_ZSOsLYLGcw.png

Been a while since I first got to orbit! Since January 12, I've made 23 droneship landings, 18 RTLS landings and 14 expendable F9 launches. 

@suzuki Wow nice ship! what mod is that?

I had two simple landers on Minmus and a scanner satellite on the way to start exploring.  The switch from tracking station to ships was acting slow so i saved, I quit out, powered off and restarted.  The entire universe was gone when I started the game.  Disappointing, I hope this is another fix in the upcoming release for consoles.

7 hours ago, capi3101 said:

because no open hatches

Which I've always found odd, because docking ports are just that - ports - which allow passage from one module to another.  That's something the game should permit, entry/exit via docking ports.  After all, they do have a picture of a door with window on them.  Right?

3 hours ago, VA7NFH said:

Yesterday I started a new career and made it to orbit on the third launch from the pad.

orbiter1orbit.png

orbiter1return.png

Got 68 science!

orbiter1sci.png

Also first orbit in any save for me without MechJeb!

@suzuki Wow nice ship! what mod is that?

I'm using RSS/RO mod. For the ship and launcher, I use Kartoffelkuchen's Launchers Pack, and a not published texture mod for KK launchers.

On 3/5/2019 at 4:32 AM, Atkara said:

Had an interesting chat with Hotel26 earlier today about "exotic" landers

Collaboration is the best!

This, from Atkara, is very, very cool.

coMrcPy.jpg

The basis for our conversation is a proposed 2019 upgrade to my Salamander "deathtrap", pictured:

E9PojGv.png    I deeply adore this machine, but it has now killed way too many Kerbals.  I can no longer defend it...  :(  :)  :(

So, my learned colleague, @Atkara , has advised me to simplify (exact words: "cut and run").

Therefore, I proudly wish to announce the 2019 model of Salamander is now up on KerbalX with an all-new-and-improved "glass cockpit".  huzzah.

[Translation: I gave up on the silly Action Key scheme of 2018 and embraced KISS...  "keep it simple, stupid"]

I spent most of today, at work (in meetings; noncommittal, yet somehow quizzically thoughtful, look on face), thinking about the craft I would build tonight, moments after walking in the front door...

So, here it is: Cruciform:
kwJ4izE.png

oJWZrQr.png   4by1mEp.png

It does takes some getting used to!  (And, yes, I know: it's a bicycle design.  Please; try to focus...)

The original idea for Salamander (then known by its skunkworks code-name, XP Luxury Lunar Liner), was to provide an executive conference jet; capable, of course, of high-speed, sub-orbital A-to-B, but also, of leisurely-paced lunar scenic junkets with full banquet/bar facilities, all at the expense of the terrestrial tax-payer...

But our design lab-rats at KSC were not quite able to figure out how to accomplish the primary objective: 45+ minutes level cruise at/below 2km AGL.  NERV VERT thrust is the key!!  (We hope.)

Maybe they've done it now, but only QA can make a definitive determination.

Cruciform uses a single NERV for VERT thrust; a DART for HORZ; and two Twitches for reverse thrust on final approach and the landing roll.

[Pre-orders are now being taken.]

Edited by Hotel26

Today I returned Jeb from Minmus:

8Mkq5DI.png

As you can see the lander is on its side on perfectly flat terrain so taking off was pretty hard after a few (60787244) tries the solution resided in balancing the craft on its Goo unit and throttling up to max.

I was pretty stressed because I only had 800 meters per second to de-orbit but in the end it only took 200 meters second.

After seeing the landing zone Jeb decides to bail out:

zw0jtq7.jpg

"Gagarin style"

2eQHyUh.jpg

Well that was worth it!

Pretty proud of this:

pscdrAH.png

And then in my sandbox save the first successful flight of my Why-vern SSTO:

2lqATWL.jpg

Edited by MiscelanousItem
"yo de-orbit"