What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

1 hour ago, MSA said:

Did you use real plume or dose it come with restock?

I do use RealPlume, although reading on the ReStock thread, it looks like it needs some compatibility patching. They mentioned they're working on that for the next release.

I've been working on a new Apollo Saturn V using ReStock for a while but couldn't show it. Next step is to fly the actual mission and collect lots of screen shots. Saturn V booster is built mostly from MH because I wanted to use their engine's and tanks. the Apollo CM/SM and LEM are almost entirely RS/RS+

I'm flying this in a 3.2x scaled game - Launch to orbit DV ~5500 and total mission DV requirement is just shy of 8000.

It's going to be a stretch - especially getting into orbit with the unaltered MH engines. The real engineers were under tight constraints too so I'll figure it out. Wish me luck!!

wIxJNO8.jpg

gUklsVU.png

Edited by Tyko

23 minutes ago, Barzon Kerman said:

@TykoThe images don't show. It just says 'The image you are requesting does not exist or is no longer available'.

Thanks...are they there now?? that's odd. I could see them.

1 hour ago, Tyko said:

I've been working on a new Apollo Saturn V using ReStock for a while but couldn't show it. Next step is to fly the actual mission and collect lots of screen shots. Saturn V booster is built mostly from MH because I wanted to use their engine's and tanks. the Apollo CM/SM and LEM are almost entirely RS/RS+

I'm flying this in a 3.2x scaled game - Launch to orbit DV ~5500 and total mission DV requirement is just shy of 8000.

It's going to be a stretch - especially getting into orbit with the unaltered MH engines. The real engineers were under tight constraints too so I'll figure it out. Wish me luck!!

wIxJNO8.jpg

gUklsVU.png

Nice build , you've done a good job there . Oh if it helps DecouplerShroud would save you having to use Fairings and they now eject seperatley

Edited by Puggonaut 2

Still needs some tweaking but my latest KOS script got Bill down pretty close to his target. 

to start with I've gone with a deorbit burn 1/4 of an orbit short of the target to a periapsis of 0, then a horizontal deceleration burn and finally a suicide burn landing.  Not the most efficient but it works for now.  Plan is to knock more speed off in the deorbit burn so the impact point isn't far beyond the target, and then decelerate at a constant vertical velocity, ideally coming to a stop 500m or so above the target for a suicide burn descent.  Struggle to work out the impact point though, easy on a flat surface, bit trickier on a sphere :D

sqKRVcR.png

Started a new science mode (I got KSP working again after it's crashes) last night. Built a biplane that just didn't want to take off, even after strapping 4 engines to it. And it appears that I didn't take any screenshots (even though I pressed F1)...

So I finished my Jool-5 mission. Sort of anti-climatic after landing on all the moons, but I needed to bring the crew back home. First step was the Kerbin capture burn. The game was telling me that I just barely had the dV for the capture, but I was sure it was wrong. Turns out it was. From the start of my burn to the finish, the reported dV went UP almost 800 m/s.

LdkHfcH.jpg

Somehow, I think the game thought I had already staged off the four corner fuel tanks, so it was using their mass, but not the thrust generated by their fuel.

KaUe5MF.jpg

Then I sent up a crew shuttle to bring everyone home. I used the crew shuttle mainly so that I could land all nine of the crew together.

qxuMSwy.jpg

Docked with the mother ship. I left Seedum and Mila on the mother ship to start refurbishing it for the next mission while Jeb and Val flew the shuttle back down.

Aao8JMZ.jpg

Managed a nice precision landing at KSC after a few tries.

nH7X0jq.jpg

And lastly, a publicity shot of the crew after landing.

EkB0eUr.jpg

43 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Started a new science mode (I got KSP working again after it's crashes) last night. Built a biplane that just didn't want to take off, even after strapping 4 engines to it. And it appears that I didn't take any screenshots (even though I pressed F1)...

Screenie? FAR or stock? Trying to figure out why it might not have wanted to take off.

57 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Nevermind, found my screenshots. This is what my brain produced last night at 11pm

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PpsDjrpWuQDRqyqD6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/shUvDyPPh3xBYmR89

Gonna need to see the CM/CL layout in the SPH there chief, not easy to tell why a plane won't fly just by looking at it. But I'd start by making the nose pointier in case it's a drag thing, apparently the stock aero model really doesn't like stubby nosecones.

Just now, Loskene said:

Gonna need to see the CM/CL layout in the SPH there chief, not easy to tell why a plane won't fly just by looking at it. But I'd start by making the nose pointier in case it's a drag thing, apparently the stock aero model really doesn't like stubby nosecones.

Yeah. Another thing is that I'm limited to my part choice because I'm just starting out in the tech tree. I'll work on it later today and hopefully have it flying soon

46 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Yeah. Another thing is that I'm limited to my part choice because I'm just starting out in the tech tree. I'll work on it later today and hopefully have it flying soon

Ah, the junkplane approach. Unfortunately I don't seem to have screenshots of it anymore but my last GAP career started with making a glider out of the first couple of tech tree nodes. It was constructed out of bits of rebar, a couple control surfaces, a flight seat I got from a test contract, and a solid rocket booster for liftoff. Since it had to be launched vertically due to reasons, building a contraption to get the kerbal into the seat (before we could just spawn them there) proved more of a challenge than building or flying the damn thing. No ladders, part count limit of 30. Jeb got a pretty decent workout (and a few bruises) climbing the scaffolding though.

4 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

I don't use FAR, last time it screwed up my game. 

Fair enough.

3 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Nevermind, found my screenshots. This is what my brain produced last night at 11pm

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PpsDjrpWuQDRqyqD6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/shUvDyPPh3xBYmR89

Okay, that's a start. What kind of mass do you have on that craft? My first instinct is to say insufficient wing area. My second is to ask what you've got as far as a horizontal stabilizer on the tail, what kind of elevator surfaces are on the thing, and how far it is from the center of mass - with something that stubby from nose to tail, it could be something as simple as insufficient pitch authority. Both your screenies are from the nose, so it's tough to say what's going on in the back. A top-down screenshot could be helpful too, as could a SPH screenie with the CoM and CoL markers turned on.

Edited by capi3101