What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

10 hours ago, scottadges said:

I'd love to see some close-up shots of your lander. It looks really compact and functional.

Thanks!

There is one glamour shot in the ReStock thread, but I cheated the lander there for that one pic and feel bad about it :(  I'll do an actual landing soon (hopefully this weekend) and post more pix

8 hours ago, Loskene said:

How do you get those orthographic/cutaway images, is there a mod that takes them for you?

That's Kronal Vessel Viewer. Works fine in 1.6.x and has some great visualization tools

Edited by Tyko

Afternoon, y'all. Figured I'd give y'all a report on my goings-on before the weekend. Picked up a copy of Twilight Imperium 3rd edition on the cheap from eBay and so I'm hoping that's what I'll be doing for at least part of the next day or two.

My day yesterday began with the embarkation of tourists aboard Strange Cargo and colonists aboard Next Objective, all of whom had been brought up to space station Kerbinport the day before aboard an Auk XIV 36-passenger spaceplane. Strange Cargo departed the station first and set up her burn for Mun. Next Objective departed next and set up her burn for Minmus, and then with no more passengers aboard, the Auk XIV was allowed to depart the station.

FHT2FZR.png
A busy traffic pattern. Next Objective's on the left, the Auk is the big plane center foreground, and Strange Cargo's on the right.

All three craft departed the station safely, though Next Objective damn near clipped the cupola off the forward end of the station during her burn for Minmus; she'll arrive there in 3.5 days. The Auk had a fairly normal re-entry procedure ongoing right up until she flew over Mt. Killakerbal fifty klicks west of KSC. It's at that point that I'd noticed I'd lost control over the craft.

NJQWZUB.png
Note to self - replace Auk XIV solar panels with some RTGs somewhere. At least she glides nice and easy...

The craft had run out of electrical power during re-entry. She veered off course and eventually splashed into the ocean about thirty kilometers or so southwest of the the space center.

IL2btfi.png
Thanks to KJR, I got a souvenir from this event, at least...

I went ahead and let the crash stand instead of revert, because A) nobody was aboard and B) my program is so flush with cash right now that I could afford to take the loss without batting an eye.

lzfRXYB.png
Set a few world's first records in the process. For the record, the plane made it down 120 meters before plopping back up.

I spent the rest of the day working between the Enchova Central outpost on Duna and space station Dunaport in orbit. With power to the station's mass driver stabilized, I went ahead and shot down the remaining 11,083 units of Uraninite using a series of mass driver shots, shooting down about 190 units per load and allowing the station's batteries to recharge when necessary. I was eventually able to get the entire load down to Enchova Central, at which point the Mule resource storage tanks aboard the Nostromo 7 resource hauler/lander docked at the station were reconfigured for Minerals. Enchova Central in turn shot up enough Monopropellant, Liquid Fuel and Oxidizer to resupply the station fully, and then shot up enough Minerals to completely fill the Nostromo's tanks. To make full use of its uranium ore load and newly-ongoing uranium enrichment activities, engineer Chadul Kerman (along with the assistance of pilot Billy-Bobcal Kerman) added four SAFER reactors to the outpost; this has successfully stabilized the outpost's power reserves as intended, allowing the mass driver to remain operational at all time.

While that was ongoing, I received word from the Deepwater Horizon outpost on Minmus that four kerbals had completed a colonization mission. Easy money.

So far today, I designed and printed up a Boop-Boop 7x probe at the Non Mentha Yards over Minmus, which was then put into a target orbit over the minty moon for contract (surprisingly, my first such satellite of this career save). Nostromo departed for Ike and has arrived in a 25 kilometer low orbit in preparation for landing at the Scan Queen outpost on the surface, the intended destination of its Minerals consist. Strange Cargo has also arrived in Mun orbit and her rendezvous with space station Munport has been set up. I'm looking at two excursions down to the surface of Mun in the very near future. Lots of waiting for folks to get their act together going on right now - still have the Minnow and Necessary Evil coming back from Minmus, and I'll need for Strange Cargo to head back to Kerbin, pick up some tourists for Minmus, head that way and get back before I will consider sending folks on to Duna, Ike and Eve. I have eight tourist contracts right now and three of them have folks going that way.

Hey, with a supply of Minerals finally arriving at Scan Queen, I can busy myself with finishing the construction of that outpost at least. Still considering the merits of setting up a TBD base on Gilly. Eve's under consideration too...

Since my previous update, I have launched some crewed sounding rockets (first to send a kerbal past the sound barrier, and then to send one to the edge of space), put a simple satellite into orbit with an upgraded version of my first R-7 inspired launch vehicle, and made the initial preparations for sending a kerbal to orbit. Details can be found here.

IDr6gkd.jpg

PzRej80.jpg

Qtc92Zg.jpg

Oy1uTJG.jpg

With about three weeks left before the arrival of KSS Voyager into Sarnus, I've finally gotten to mapping Tekto.

knawbklw0dr2l2zzg.jpg

And, I couldn't help myself, and started a new campaign, this time in Beyond Home.

Here's my first flyby of Lua:

llxdoe6d7quo0drzg.jpg

More action (to much, even for a Saturday really) in the Kerbin Sorta-Circumnavigation.

More refuelling from tankers (thanks Andin).

4gPE5ZC.jpg

Encountered strange atmospheric anomalies.

mS1SOl2.jpg

That Bob tried to scare off by shouting at it.

flTa7Um.jpg

Encountered a very large lake, that unfortunately was connected to the sea... so had to enter and drive the boat round it, as it's part of the mainland coast

gGXXKwI.jpg

Then the crew settled in for the wait for refuelling.

YmBFUEJ.jpg

Meanwhile Andin Kerman didn't have quite enough juice to get the Goose back to base, so had to make a landing at the edge of the desert.

At least he has company.

NSJ1wCS.jpg

The United Kerbin Ship 'Deep Purple' on its maiden flight.

0NDeiqe.png

She's soon to embark on a five year mission a mission to explore Kerbin, whose mountains, rivers and top secret anomalies have been forgotten ever since Kerbals went to live underground.

Not KSP, but related to it~

uxyQDxf.png

Z-9 engine of the Vega

nh1o0rK.png

P-120 First stage booster of Vega. Both models rendered in blender.

What's remarkable is that the P-120 engine looked like this in it's earliest transition.

tdMNtWN.png

I won't say that my engines look great, but its a significant improvement, and I have finally established a proper design philosophy around which I need to work. Thanks to a couple of REAAALLLLYYYYY helpful guys!

EDIT: Made this too :3

bGrrVV0.png

Z-40C. Vega Second stage.

Edited by Nivee~

On 3/7/2019 at 11:00 PM, RizzoTheRat said:

Still needs some tweaking but my latest KOS script got Bill down pretty close to his target. 

to start with I've gone with a deorbit burn 1/4 of an orbit short of the target to a periapsis of 0, then a horizontal deceleration burn and finally a suicide burn landing.  Not the most efficient but it works for now.  Plan is to knock more speed off in the deorbit burn so the impact point isn't far beyond the target, and then decelerate at a constant vertical velocity, ideally coming to a stop 500m or so above the target for a suicide burn descent.  Struggle to work out the impact point though, easy on a flat surface, bit trickier on a sphere :D

sqKRVcR.png

Tweaked the deceleration phase and this happened :)  The other ship is one I hyperedited there to to give me a marker at the target lat/long

SEbb08G.png

However when I limit the descent speed it overshoots a bit so still needs some work. 

So finally after 5 years of playing KSP , i've more or less got to do what i've always wanted . Took a shed load of mods , more than one cfg tweak , oh and a Computer built just to mod the hell out of KSP .

So firstly thanks to all the Modders out there for continuing to supply the community with there time to make these mods .

My Parents silly huh , well when 2001 came out to general release they took me to see it , after that I was pretty much hooked on Science fiction and have been for over 50 years .

So here it is my 60th Birthday ( it's not till August , thankfully so got a few months left in my 50's :lol: ) present to me .

Oh yeah special occasional guest appearance by the Mouse Cursor :wacko:

Edited by Puggonaut 2

9 minutes ago, Puggonaut said:

So here it is my 60th Birthday ( it's not till August , thankfully so got a few months left in my 50's :lol: ) present to me .

Beautiful work man, Craft, Video and Docking....and Happy Birthday for August when it gets here :D