What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

It took a lot of fiddling to work out what the hell I was doing wrong but my KOS script can now dock using off axis docking ports.  So I just plugged in the extension to my mun station (left hand module) using a port in it's side rather than it's nose

TQB5xuJ.png

This could result in very messy stations :D  Once I return a crew in the re-entry module (top) and and use the remaining fuel and dump the extensions transfer stage (bottom) I'll have 4 docking ports left on this station and there's bound to be more contracts to expand it.  Plus with USI-LS it makes sense to add more living space...  (currently a crew of 3 in a space for 18).

However as I think I've got rotation figured out, I should be able to build stuff that automatically docks at the correct alignment to use multiple docking ports, so orbital construction just got a lot easier.

Edited by RizzoTheRat

23 hours ago, Grogs said:

- Autostrut the radial boosters/tanks to grandparent. These are rock solid, and I've never had an issue doing this.

I find that's actually one of the places where I am least likely to use auto-struts, but it has a lot more to do with my preference for very carefully manually strutting radial boosters.  Mostly this is because auto-strut tends to attach to center-of-mass, and I very intentionally make sure my radial boosters have a pair of attachment points that are in axial alignment with respect to each other but are balanced across the center rather than right in the middle of it.  Specifically, the separator attachment is near the front of the booster, while the strut is near the rear of the booster to stabilize it.  That way when the boosters detach, they peel away starting from the top instead of from the middle, which is helped if they have any aerodynamic stabilizers near their rear.  This, I find, helps avoid problems with the boosters knocking into each other or the lifting vehicle as they detach, causing a Rapid Unplanned Disassembly during ascent.

Plus it looks really cool. :cool:

On this Day in 1968 2001 A Space Odyssey was released in the cinema 

Meanwhile in KSP “ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS, EXCEPT DRES. ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE. OR LAND IN PIECES .”

p:s Dave Kermin the Pod Bay Doors are still not open &)

1 hour ago, Puggonaut said:

Meanwhile in KSP “ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS, EXCEPT DRES. ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE. OR LAND IN PIECES .”

p:s Dave Kermin the Pod Bay Doors are still not open &)

Nice. 2001 was before my time, but 2010 was one of the first films I ever saw with a date. I sat there with my mouth open staring at the beautiful scenes of Jupiter the whole time. She never talked to me again after that. :cool:

1 hour ago, Fearless Son said:

I find that's actually one of the places where I am least likely to use auto-struts, but it has a lot more to do with my preference for very carefully manually strutting radial boosters.  Mostly this is because auto-strut tends to attach to center-of-mass, and I very intentionally make sure my radial boosters have a pair of attachment points that are in axial alignment with respect to each other but are balanced across the center rather than right in the middle of it.  Specifically, the separator attachment is near the front of the booster, while the strut is near the rear of the booster to stabilize it.  That way when the boosters detach, they peel away starting from the top instead of from the middle, which is helped if they have any aerodynamic stabilizers near their rear.  This, I find, helps avoid problems with the boosters knocking into each other or the lifting vehicle as they detach, causing a Rapid Unplanned Disassembly during ascent.

Plus it looks really cool. :cool:

I've only had a problem with really big boosters, like S4-64's. I find having the decouplers near the top kicks the top of most boosters out enough that the air will catch it and pull it away from the rocket. The decouplers just don't have enough push to move the big boosters, and especially later in a gravity turn while the rocket is pitched down the top boosters will collide before clearing the engines. I've resorted to attaching sepratron rockets in those instances, and it has worked well, but I can see the struts as being a more elegant solution.

2 hours ago, Grogs said:

I've only had a problem with really big boosters, like S4-64's. I find having the decouplers near the top kicks the top of most boosters out enough that the air will catch it and pull it away from the rocket. The decouplers just don't have enough push to move the big boosters, and especially later in a gravity turn while the rocket is pitched down the top boosters will collide before clearing the engines. I've resorted to attaching sepratron rockets in those instances, and it has worked well, but I can see the struts as being a more elegant solution.

I'll use Sepratrons if the empty boosters are pretty massive to give it that little extra "oomph" the decoupler's can't quite manage, but most of the time I don't really need them if they've been properly placed and balanced.  I also usually make sure to throttle down a bit before detachment, then go full throttle just as I activate the staging.  Usually does enough to get the main body out from the middle of the boosters before they risk turning back on it.

9 hours ago, Puggonaut said:

It was... ah, in that case I'm going to give a shameless plug to 2001: A Space Absurdity.

Nope, it has nothing to do with what I did in KSP today, which was nothing, but a couple days ago this is what I did in my boat trip along Kerbin's coastline.

Bob makes a run for the hills.

43LoR0H.jpg

Heading up the foothils

2wtcigr.jpg

The view over Woomerang... the refuel team is down there somewhere.

sJqemEq.jpg

Reached to top... 6.1km ASL.

EIu4QF0.jpg

Edited by purpleivan

25 minutes ago, aagun123 said:

and i copied and modified stock .cfg to create some stock-like patrs with different size, such like 0.5*1 structural panel

Cool, I was wondering how you did that.

Can you show me how to do that ?

25 minutes ago, Triop said:

Cool, I was wondering how you did that.

Can you show me how to do that ?

for example, copy the file structuralPanel1x1.cfg to structuralPanel2x1.cfg, and do some modification

PART
{
    name = structuralPanel11
    module = Part
    author = NovaSilisko
    mesh = model.mu
    MODEL
    {
        model = Squad/Parts/Structural/structuralPanel1x1/model
        scale = 2, 1, 1
    }

rescaleFactor = 1
    node_stack_top = 0, 0.0275, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0
    node_stack_bottom = 0,-0.0275, 0, 0, -1, 0, 0
    node_attach = -0.5, 0, 0, -1, 0, 0, 0
    TechRequired = composites

title =  M-2x1 Structural Panel

Edited by aagun123

Fair amount accomplished yesterday, with the exception of taking screenies - I've only got one for y'all today, and it's a crappy one. But y'all can have it anyway. Ahem:

wT5z5gn.png
Behold Luke Skywalker's lightsaber!! (Severed hand not included)

Day began with the completion of the print of the ever-so-creatively-named Plane Pylon 7 at the Non Mentha Yards over Minmus. The 2.5 tonne probe departed the drydock and made its way to space station Minmusport, rendezvousing and docking successfully in the spot previously held by the also-creatively-named Minnow Docking Adapter 7. For its part, the Docking Adapter was deorbited after detaching from the station; the Plane Pylon has four ports for visiting Minnow-series touring ships as opposed to the Adapter's one, so no real loss there other than the tank of monoprop it was carrying. The Pylon's very small transfer stage was also jettisoned and deorbited at arrival at Minmusport. The first anticipated use of the Pylon will be in a matter of days when an incoming Auk XVI 12-passenger spaceplane arrives at the station. I've had issues docking planes to my remote bases before; the Pylon's presence should alleviate any issues that may arise here.

The rest of day was spent (finally) with surface excursions to Duna and Ike. Starting at space station Ikeport, fuel was transferred to the recently-arrived Spamcan 7a 4-passenger lander and then pilot Edsy Kerman, scientist Rodemone Kerman and engineer Gilford Kerman boarded the lander. The lander then departed for a landing in the Western Mountain Range, touching down successfully. The three kerbals each planted a flag, then awaited the launch window for return to the station. Strange Cargo arrived in Ike's SOI before the lander took off again carrying a boatful of tourists, and she was fortunate enough to be able to pull off an orbital insertion at rendezvous, docking well ahead of the lander's own rendezvous. This actually turned out to be fortuitous - only two of the tourists aboard Strange Cargo - Geofsted and Hudory Kerman - wanted to visit Ike's surface and I only had two more KSC staff - engineers Lucas and Ardon Kerman - that needed to go down for flag-planting training. Upon the lander's docking, Edsy, Rodemone and Gilford piled out while Geofsted, Hudory, Lucas and Ardon piled in. After refueling, the lander made a second successful landing in the Western Mountain Range, with Lucas and Ardon planting their flags just a short time ago. The lander will return to the station later this morning, at which point the KSC staff will be heading out for Duna, while the tourists are all ready to head for home at this point; Strange Cargo will be making its way to rendezvous with LSV House Atreides currently in high Duna orbit for that journey. Additional tourists currently at Duna and a few more KSC staff - notably Jeb and Val - will be making their way to the surface of Ike for flag-planting in a few days, and I plan to send up fuel supplies to the station after the current batch of kerbals leaves.

My notes for Duna aren't as complete; after visiting the Enchova Central outpost with a group of tourists yesterday, the Spamcan 7c lander returned to space station Dunaport, where she was refueled. Tourists Eligan and Henfal Kerman boarded a waiting Minnow 7b touring craft docked at the station, while tourists Lanwell and Matkin Kerman joined Jeb and Val in a second Minnow also docked at the station. The lander itself was refueled, at which point tourists Lanard and Kenrod Kerman boarded and made their way down to the surface, landing safely in the Midlands. As of this post, they are still waiting for Dunaport to come back into position for a return to the station. Kenrod's itinerary also takes him to Ike, so when he gets back he'll be joining Jeb and Val and their Minnow will be heading to Ike at that point. Lanard's itinerary is complete, so he'll be joining the others for the return trip to Kerbin.

If I've done the numbers right, I still have two more excursions for Duna and two more for Ike to accomplish; I'll have to shuffle some folks around before those can take place, so I don't know if they'll happen today or not. Definitely soon. I'm also going to have to do some fair amount of shuffling with Edsy, Rodemone, Gilford, Lucas and Ardon. Lucas and Ardon will be manning the Bi-La Kaifa Yards over Duna and the Infans Calcitrant Yards over Ike respectively, so I'll need to get them to their posts once they're done; they have work to do aboard LSV House Harkonnen in orbit over Duna and House Atreides as well first, though. Edsy, Rodemone and Gilford - the Eve outpost crew - will ultimately be shipping out with Harkonnen when she leaves, which will happen when she finishes building their base-seeding craft. 

Programming note - I've decided that, given how often I've been using them, I should go ahead and give names to my Minnow-series craft. Haven't settled on what just yet. Early leaning is to the characters of Gilligan's Island (since that's where the name "Minnow" originated in the first place), but that would limit me to just seven names overall, so I might have to think of something else...

8 hours ago, purpleivan said:

It was... ah, in that case I'm going to give a shameless plug to 2001: A Space Absurdity.

Nope, it has nothing to do with what I did in KSP today, which was nothing, but a couple days ago this is what I did in my boat trip along Kerbin's coastline.

Bob makes a run for the hills.

43LoR0H.jpg

Heading up the foothils

2wtcigr.jpg

The view over Woomerang... the refuel team is down there somewhere.

sJqemEq.jpg

Reached to top... 6.1km ASL.

EIu4QF0.jpg

Been following your posts , there quite good fun .

Hi fellow KSP'ers

I just recently made a successful trip to Duna and back to Kerbin.

And today I sent a probe to Eve for the first time. I had the hardest time trying to get an encounter node though. Major pain in the rear

55 minutes ago, LC 44 said:

Hi fellow KSP'ers

I just recently made a successful trip to Duna and back to Kerbin.

And today I sent a probe to Eve for the first time. I had the hardest time trying to get an encounter node though. Major pain in the rear

Awesome!  Just be careful if you try to aerobreak.  Eve is, uh, pretty unforgiving compared to Kerbin and Duna.