What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

It´s been a very long time, since i posted some new craft here on the forums, but today i am finally back with some new stuff. Today, i´ve built an SSTO spaceplane that can reach 110 km orbit with a 32 ton payload and 1.000 m/s of ∆V of spare oomph left, close to 2.000 m/s when the 32 ton payload is delivered. It runs on 7 R.A.P.I.E.R engines and 2 NERVs. I use a visual mod, that slightly alters the appearance of some parts, but it is completely stock.

Here are some pics and the craftfile. Enjoy.

Edit: Keep a little oxidizer in the tank or RCS wont work in orbit. To do so, just finish the last bit of the ascent with the NERVs. Any info if the visual mod will interfere with Stock KSP would be appreciated. Thank you :)

Edit 2: I have tested loading the craftfile into a stock install, after upgrading to 1.7. You will get a warning, but the craft loads fine. However the action groups did not move over completely, so good bye ReStock mod. I will upload a pure stock craftfile tomorrow. 

Edit 3: Craftfile now clean of any errors due to ReStock visual mod.

Starlon Mk. II-2 craftfile

Qg69fyR.png

xtO9r66.png

BPoGDo9.png

Edited by Frank_G

Some productive days... today, i tested a construction rover, that will assemble a base on Mun and Minmus.

The baseparts were under construction for quite some time, but everything works fine now. All modules are pure stock as usual, but i used editor extensions to create those fuel line connectors (you can´t get them so far apart in the stock game, but you can load the finished pieces in an unmodded install - it would be really nice, if those unnecessary restrains would be removed by default).

DezmpG3.png

T4jW21t.png

...and what it will construct in the end:

gg1jQ7I.png

Edited by Frank_G

Me? A lot of progress was done in my Jool-5 mission. I did a Tylo ascent, follwed by a vall transfer which didn't work out, so i reloaded and did a Laythe transfer, aerocapture, landing, ascent and redocked to the mothership.

I continued the process of wrapping up my ongoing Duna/Eve expedition yesterday, starting with a burn to send T. Howell III to a rendezvous with LSV House Atreides in high orbit over Duna. Strange Cargo affected a similar burn mere moments later. While the ships were en route, the Spamcan 7c lander touched down on the surface of Duna, landing about fifty meters off of the designated landing zone for the Enchova Central outpost. Pilot Gwenlock Kerman, scientists Rodemone and Willin Kerman and engineer Gilford Kerman piled out of the lander in turn and each planted a flag. Gilford retrieved the necessary equipment from the outpost to hook up the lander to the outpost and fuel supplies were transferred. Once all the equipment was stowed safely back aboard the outpost, the four kerbals got back in their freshly-fueled lander and awaited their launch window to return to space station Dunaport in low orbit.

Strange Cargo and T. Howell III both arrived at House Atreides within seconds of one another.

78ZHpqW.png
Strange Cargo steering for the sixty second approach in preparation for docking at LSV House Atreides. I really need to stop doing these multiple rendezvous events...

Both ships then docked safely to the warp ship, after which it was time for the Spamcan to return to Dunaport.

E5Oe46e.png
Quick, ma! Somebody dun set the upchuckwagon on fahr!!!

The lander returned safely to Dunaport, at which point the station loaded fuel supplies aboard Gilligan docked at the station and the landing crew transferred back to the station. The two scientists went to the station's Skylab module along with pilot Edsy Kerman, where they are now conducting a Power Tools evaluation experiment for contract; that experiment is scheduled to complete in eleven day's time. Meanwhile, Jeb and Gwenlock along with Gilford and engineers Ardon and Lucas Kerman departed the station aboard Gilligan, setting course to rendezvous with House Atreides.  

While Gilligan was en route, I received notice from the Dystopia Planitia orbital shipyard over Kerbin - an Auk XIII single-passenger spaceplane I'd ordered up a few days ago was finally complete. Some of the station's fuel stores were transferred to the spaceplane and she then launched from the drydock on a mission to rescue Nielman in Kerbin orbit. Originally I'd only filled one of the fuel tanks, thinking I only needed enough on board fuel for a quick low-altitude rendezvous and deorbit for landing. The target turned out to be close to the orbit of Mun, so it was necessary to send the Auk over to Kerbinport to fill up her rocket tanks to capacity before sending it on to the rendezvous with Nielman's Wreckage; the plane is en route at this point and should make the rendezvous in about 4 hours. 

All the business with the Auk happened while Gilligan was awaiting the transfer window to head to Atreides; the transfer window finally did come up and Gilligan arrived at Atreides about twenty minutes later.

F3QlZDQ.png
Gilligan arriving at House Atreides, preparing for final rendezvous burn.

Gilligan arrived safely; Jeb parked the craft about thirty meters away from Atreides.

KS8ttlm.png
At least that's what the instrumentation said...looks closer than thirty meters to me, but what do I know, right?

House Atreides only has one Minnow Adapter unit installed, and with T. Howell III currently parked, there was nowhere available for Gilligan to dock. Since I wanted the engineers aboard, it was necessary to transfer them over the old-fashioned way.

wgnzp6L.png
ZhgIKHV.png
Moving Kerbals like it's 2014. Hard to think I've really been playing this game for that long...

Lucas, Ardon, Gilford and Gwenlock all transferred over via jetpack, with Gwenlock resuming command of Strange Cargo docked at Atreides and the engineers going straight to work in the drydock. Val took the opportunity to transfer back over to Gilligan as well, resuming her position in the copilot's seat next to Jeb. The engineers boosted the efficiency of Atreides's drydock twelve times, and the estimation for completion of the Hellhound 7a rover under construction aboard the ship went from over three days down to a mere sixty-five minutes. Gilligan kept station near Atreides for that period, with Jeb and Val making periodic RCS corrections to maintain a 30-40 meter distance from the warp ship. Once the drydock signaled complete, the three engineers EVA'd back over to Gilligan, which then departed for a rendezvous with LSV House Harkonnen also in Duna orbit. Fuel supplies were shot up via mass driver from Enchova Central to House Atreides this morning and at this point all final preparations have been completed for Atreides to leave Duna; she'll be warping to Eve to drop off the rover later this morning, after which she'll be heading back to Kerbin to drop off the tourists.

My focus is now going to shift to Harkonnen and the TBD 7d base-seeding rover under construction aboard. Once it's finished, I'll have to conduct a full supply run to make sure the rover is ready to go for a drop to Eve's surface - the goal is the establishment of a permanent base there. Harkonnen won't be able to leave until the Eve crew is aboard, and with Rodemone currently engaged with the experiments aboard Dunaport that'll be a few days yet. I've got Nielman's rescue coming up, and I'll also be ferrying tourists down to Kerbin in the near future as well. My latest colonist expedition to Minmus is almost there as well, so I'll likely be doing that as well in the very near future. 

Edited by capi3101

I started a new moded career with:

@_Zee's and @Well's excellent:

And finally @RoverDude's

I also disabled multiple ground stations

The first launch is a Cook-1:

NTevohz.jpg

Cook-2 escaped the atmosphere

ExperimentalObservationSatellite-1 (EOS-1) is the first orbit:

FTXJ7so.png

Due to a problem during the ascent EOS-1 ended up into an slightly inclined orbit  :(in the pic EOS-1 is actually EOS-2 and Cook-3 is EOS-1)

3e8Q9SY.png

EOS-1 had no instrumentation to palliate this EOS-2 was launched,it contained multiple scienThe first launch ce experiments.The plan was to boost its orbit to up above the 300km mark to gather high above Kerbin science
how ever the plan failed and only the biology experiment and the barometer functioned

Pzmx9Ut.png

EOS-3 didn't go to orbit but went sub-orbital the aim was to recover data instead of simply retransmitting it:

eaB17Z5.png

Edited by MiscelanousItem

For you cave dwellers out there, KSP v1.7 dropped yesterday around 18Z. Thus begins my standard one-month countdown to the upgrade - got to let those mod makers have time to get everything recompiled and make sure things still work. That also means I have a decision to make in one month's time whether to keep going with my current career save or start afresh. Right now I'm leaning towards continuing, on account of the fact that I still haven't made it past Eve exploration since contracts became a thing way back in KSP v0.24, and yesterday's events make it look likely that I'll be at that for a while still. So, without further ado...

(1.6.1) With all final checks complete at the start of business yesterday, LSV House Atreides engaged her Alcubierre Drive and departed Duna.

vm970if.png
This screenie might've been more impressive had I had the Alcubierre Drive's POW window up where y'all could see it...trust me, she was going plenty fast already...

She arrived at Eve a few minutes later going about 12 kps and warpbacks began to bring her into orbit; she was ultimately able to acheive a 500x300, 3-degree inclined orbit over the purple planet. Shortly thereafter, Gilligan conducted a burn to bring her to a rendezvous with LSV House Harkonnen still in orbit over Duna, and about that same time the Auk XVI 12-passenger spaceplane I'd sent to Minmus late last week finally arrived in the SOI of the minty moon, conducting a radial-in burn to bring her approach periapsis down to the altitude of space station Minmusport.

With time to kill at that point, I went forward with the launch of the Hellhound 7a rover from House Atreides's drydock.

U28Jsdr.png
Hellhound 7a rover and skycrane departing LSV House Atreides.

After lowering its orbit to just above Eve's horizon, a retro burn was made to have the rover enter the atmosphere, targeting the coordinates of the potential TBD site for landing.

RhpNkZO.png
And now it's time to play "Spot the Design Flaw!!"

The rover did survive entry and made a successful touchdown a mere seven kilometers off the target, but I ran into a major problem - the heat shield was positioned such that it clipped into the skycrane while inflated, and when it came time to jettison the thing so the rover could do its job...

mgeOkS1.png
For clarification, this is not a position from which the Hellhound design operates - rather the opposite, in fact. I wouldn't be going anywhere with four blown tires anyway.

The landing wasn't a complete waste, though - it did clear the current Eve exploration contract as expected. What was unexpected was the next exploration contract...

cmKle66.png
You want me to do what now?

'In for a penny, in for a pound', as the saying goes - I mashed the little green checkbox. For as long as I've been playing, it's about damn time I did an Eve launch to orbit...just have to be smart about it, right?

The failure of the Hellhound mission will necessitate the landing of a second rover at the potential colony site; after these shenanigans, I hit the VAB and did an extensive redesign of the Hellhound 7a to make sure I could actually jettison the damn heat shield. The new design puts the shield on top of the skycrane; upon atmospheric entry, the skycrane will point to prograde instead of retrograde, flipping to retrograde for landing when the bulk of the entry heating is over with. That should make it easier to jettison the shield safely.

With nothing else to do at Eve, House Atreides departed Eve at that point.

xHttkVb.png
Again, she's already going plenty fast...

The ship arrived at Kerbin a few minutes later going 18 kps, well above the speed needed to attain orbit. Warpback maneuvers to slow down commenced at once; they're still ongoing as of this post. Meantime, Gilligan arrived at House Harkonnen, at which point engineers Lucas, Ardon and Gilford Kerman joined Bob and engineer Gemlorf Kerman in the ship's Bigby workshop, boosting the ship's already considerable efficiency rating to a whopping 18 points. Their presence knocked the estimated time remaining on the construction of the TBD 7d base-seeding rover being built in the ship's drydock from 10 days down to 4.5 hours. This did necessitate a resupply of Rocket Parts; the Enchova Central outpost on the Dunan surface shot up a full load to Harkonnen via mass driver.

Today my focus is going to be on getting Atreides into orbit over Kerbin and then getting her fourteen tourist passengers back to the surface; combined, they represent four contracts. I'm going to need a new Hellhound 7 rover and the engineers currently at Duna are still my best bet for building one quickly, so I'm going to have to have Atreides return to Duna at the next possible opportunity. The saving grace there is that Harkonnen won't be heading to Eve until after scientist Rodemone Kerman finishes up a science experiment ongoing at space station Dunaport, and at the current rate, that won't wrap up for another eleven days, so there's still plenty of time to get a new rover built and onto the surface of Eve before the crew is due to go set up an outpost. The return of Atreides to Duna may involve a side trip to Mun so the ship can pick up a supply of Xenon gas for her Alcubierre Drive; while it's not critically low yet, it's still getting down there. I also have an upcoming rescue mission to finish up over Kerbin and the Auk XVI is nearing periapsis at this point, so I'll also be needing to get a batch of colonists down to the surface soon. Things are still plenty busy for the moment overall.

24 minutes ago, purpleivan said:

Is it just me who's imagining this as a small child leaving a collection of toys just behind the front door, ready for an unsuspecting adult to trip over them.

Dont step on the antennas, they hurt like hell :D

(1.6.1) Pretty slow day overall yesterday. It began with the rendezvous of an Auk XIII single-passenger spaceplane with Neilman's Wreckage in high Kerbin orbit. Scientist Nielman Kerman EVA'd over to the plane, which then retroburned to bring its periapsis down to aerobrake. At this point, the plane only has 333 m/s of delta-V remaining, so it remains to be seen whether I'll be able to bring it in for landing at KSC or not without a refueling op. Hoping not, in all honesty.

The Auk XVI 12-passenger spaceplane I'd sent to Minmus with a batch of colonists aboard several days ago burned into orbit and set up a rendezvous with space station Minmusport, safely coming into dock one orbit later.

v3iKRAP.png
Adding that extended docking pylon to the station last week was a solid idea, as it turned out...

With the plane's arrival, I'll be sending down the colonists to the Deepwater Horizon outpost on the surface at the next opportunity. I've noted that the colonists keep coming in batches of nine or fifteen. My colonist lander carries eight, so I'm going to design an add-on piece that will hopefully improve its passenger capacity without diminishing any of its other capabilities. I'll add that before I send this group down - other things going on and all that.

The bulk of my day yesterday, though, was spent getting LSV House Atreides back to Kerbin from Eve.

7vphkqp.png
Going to hit the planet! Fooled you!! - not hitting the plane... Going to hit the planet!!! Got you again!!!! --- the process of warp-backs in a nutshell.

After about two in-game hours of warp-back maneuvers, Atreides finally was able to settle into a 670x550 kilometer equatorial orbit over Kerbin. Once safely in orbit, Strange Cargo undocked from the warp ship.

pXOSs4T.png
After undocking, Gwenlock had to put up with complaints from her passengers about "not being a damn yo-yo", while dealing with some lingering seasickness her own self...

Strange Cargo burned to rendezvous with space station Kerbinport, a rendezvous which is set up and will likely take place later this morning. T. Howell III departed House Atreides as well, and also conducted a burn to bring it to rendezvous with Kerbinport.

5sYEdlg.png
I could so totally believe that Thurston Howell is actually Slender Man...same goes for most of the castaways, in truth. It's those new dual nozzles of the revamped Poodle engine - something about it just creeps me out, y'all...

With all of her passengers offloaded, idiot engineer Ceri Kerman aboard House Atreides began the print of a new Hellhound 7a rover; the ship already has sufficient supplies aboard to construct and fuel the craft without a refueling op, and with House Harkonnen not leaving Duna for the next ten days at least, Atreides will be heading back to Eve for the rover's deployment - I'll let Ceri do the job on her own time while I take care of other things. Construction of the Hellhound will take 43 hours (just over seven days). I am confident that the new design will not experience the explosive failures of the original. Speaking of House Harkonnen, a fresh supply of Rocket Parts were shot up from the Enchova Central outpost on the Dunan surface via mass driver last thing yesterday - the ship now has sufficient Rocket Parts aboard to complete the construction of the TBD 7d base-seeding rover currently being built aboard. Additional supply shots will be required once the rover is complete to make sure the base is fully supplied before Harkonnen heads over to Eve for deployment.

Today, I've got Howell and Strange Cargo heading into dock at Kerbinport, so an Auk VII flight is scheduled to bring all of their tourists home (which should clear four contracts). I want to at least begin construction of that add-on module for the Crater Maker 7 lander at Minmusport, and I want to see if I can get Nielman down safely. House Atreides can also head back to Eve at her leisure; going to try to time the departure to where the relative orbital velocity is minimized if I can help it - that should cut back on the amount of warp-backs needed, not that that's a particularly time-consuming thing over Eve thanks to the planet's gravity. I already know today's going to be a short playing day due to events in RL; hopefully I'll have something substantial to report to y'all on Monday...

:cool: ~stijlloze promotie~ :cool:

THE RETURN OF THE RAT PACK.

*preview

yEiiLsX.png

Want to see more ? &)

Edited by Triop