What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

All change today in the Kerbin Sorta-Circumnavigation.

The original boat that had to stop roughly every 250km for fuel...

vRtpOlq.jpg

... was replaced with this one.

AdrecKh.jpg

All the now useless ISRU gear was dumped, as well as one engine and an extra 8% fuel capacity added. All this has resulted in roughly a doubling of the range of the boat.

52BPhoM.jpg

lWHgqGp.jpg

Edited by purpleivan

Since I'm starting back in KSP, I started a fresh 1.7 career yesterday.  After some sounding rockets & a really bad glider flight (no pics, but even Jeb was cussing me out over that design), I managed to get a kerbal into orbit with a basic Jabbit I - the name I've used for a while for my early Swivel-powered 1.25m launchers.  Once Jeb made orbit & returned home, it was time for some fun.  So I built the "Jabbit II" - an Atlas stage & a half design.  It uses a Valiant (from Restock or Missing History mods, 100 kN thrust) sustainer with a pair of Thuds that get dropped mid-ascent.  The extra thrust & dV enabled me to use an expanded Mk 1 pod with a service bay, more science experiments, etc.   It had around 800 m/s dV remaining in ~85 km orbit compared to <300 with the Jabbit I.

Night launch of the first crewed Jabbit II:

H6sIQqd.png?1

I was also able to use the Jabbit II launcher to get a small probe on a Mun fly-by & return and to launch a low-tech com relay.   IIRC, this is the relay going up:

1ftRVaR.png?1

I timed this screenshot well, but the angle & lightning were pretty awful - moments after staging the boosters away, before it even cleared the sustainer engine:

e5X3Kbo.jpg

2 hours ago, Cavscout74 said:

F4SnDOL.png?1

Very cool design!!!

My solution was to do a "reverse Atlas". My big center engine, a Reliant, was on a decoupler and I dropped that only keeping the outer engines for sustainers.

Kk1YyMG.png

uBeSsMD.png

Edited by Tyko

More flying and boating in the K.S.C. today.

Dean flew in to meet a new friend.

lwB9Tf4.jpg

Then flew out to give the boat a fresh gulp of fuel.

ZlU5Jy1.jpg

Then a full leg of the trip, using the Persistent Trails Continued mod to measure the distance travelled, to find out the range of the new boat design and compare it with the old.

eICvEJJ.jpg

The result... 80% greater range with only an extra 8% of fuel, compared with the old boat.

This is going to make the remaining trip a lot easier, as the crew head into the southern seas.

Ufn02is.jpg

Edited by purpleivan

12 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

Shift change at Minmus. This save is getting out of hand. 

XNANL25.jpg

Been there. Daily. When you start developing shorthand, you know it's time to consider checking into rehab...

Here's my shorthand:

4/18: Gil r&d ICY, xe-Lucas ICY. HDR r&d ICY w/ 5 dV. ICY xMOF Gil, Gil dep ICY, b4r, r&d Iport, xBill, xe-Gemlorf Can. Can dep Iport, Il. SQ xMOFXRP ICY. Bill, e-Gemlorf plf. Can +, r&d Iport. Iport xMOF Gil, Bill, Gemlorf bd Gil. Gil dep Iport, b4D, r&d Dport 4h later. Bill, Gemlorf, Gilford xLab, 12 boost, -2d exp. EC xRP HH. Twarp. Auk a K, b210x70 LKO, lost 2 airbrakes/antenna at entry.

4/19: Auk b 100,0 LKO, b4l, l KSC 09

====

CURRENT CONTRACTS:

MC Alarms: 0

<C> N 45 - Pado, Camdun, Matmon, Supont, Merul, Dudke, Johnler, Wehrrey, Sigfrod - clock running
<C> N 33 - Valman, Trafred, Tatiana, Calkin, Dudfen, Sheplorf, Samger, Rorim, Nelrie - clock running

Z K Wheesley, 11-13k, 220-300
V K temp 17.7-19.2, 5 pt

<S> M breakthrough tech - in progress PA, possibly completes six days thanks to Observatory.
<S> M materials exposure space study - in progress NCY.
<S> M temperature study. - in progress Venkmann.
S Mo

<&> D Siefen 0.8t 1.1x1.3x1.3 - docked Harkonnen, awaiting transport to K
<S> D power tools eval - should be doable at Dport but will need someone manning the lab there first. Having the experiment available will also be required.
D D-> Io 2900

<M> S 12xE, 10.678M x 10.490M - in progress, will be a while in getting there.

<X> E RTK, splashdown. Will want to see how far from ocean the base winds up being. Bento Box should be orbit-capable.
<F> E - ...you stupid, stupid man.
<D> G -> Eo 2350

Still trying to get my insurance to cover it...that's not happening anytime soon, so I guess I'll go ahead and interpret this for the rest of y'all. Ahem...

(1.6.1) Yesterday's activities began with the arrival of Gilligan at the Infans Calcitrant Yards in orbit of Ike. Upon successful rendezvous and docking, engineer Lucas Kerman transferred over to the shipyard to assume her (yes, her) post as  the station's chief engineer. The remaining crew aboard Gilligan - Val, Bill and engineers Gilford and Gemlorf Kerman - remained docked at the station awaiting the arrival of the Hodor 7 nuclear reactor probe, which has been printed up from the Bi-La Kaifa Shipyards over Duna the day before and which had a very low remaining fuel supply by the time it arrived at Ike; Gilligan remained to be available to deliver additional fuel if it proved necessary. Fortunately, it did not - the probe affected a successful rendezvous and docking at ICY, with a mere five m/s of delta-V to spare.

n4bzkDP.png
One of those rare occasions where the level of relief involved warrants a docking-in-progress screenie...

Once the probe docked and the station began receiving power from the probe's SAFER reactors, fuel supplies were transferred over to Gilligan and the ship departed for a rendezvous with space station Ikeport. Gilligan arrived and docked without incident, at which point Bill and Gemlorf went down to the surface in the station's Spamcan 7a passenger lander for flag-planting training. The two engineers landed safely and planted their flags, and while they were awaiting the launch window to return to Ikeport, multiple fuel supplies and Rocket Parts were shot up from the Scan Queen outpost on the surface to Infans Calcitrant via mass driver. The Spamcan then returned safely to Ikeport; Bill and Gemlorf finally were able to punch their tickets and earn full 4-star ratings. Gilligan was refueled from the station's supplies, and after Bill and Gemlorf re-joined the crew, Gilligan departed for space station Dunaport, arriving safely four hours later. The three engineers boarded the station's Bigby orbital workshop and boosted the efficiency rating from about 1.4 to just over 12, knocking a full two days off the expected time of completion for a Power Tools experiment currently underway there (the same experiment that is holding up the Eve mission at this point). At this point, everything at Duna is on hold until that experiment finishes up; as a final step of preparation for the Eve mission, a supply of Rocket Parts was sent up to LSV House Harkonnen from the Enchova Central outpost on the surface via mass driver; Harkonnen is now fully supplied and ready to do its part to support the Eve mission.

With nothing else productive to do at Duna, I went ahead and timewarped ahead about a day, to the point where the Auk XVI 12-passenger spaceplane I had sent to Minmus was about to arrive back at Kerbin.

WlawLnD.png
Obligatory glamour shot. The plane is still intact at this point, for reference...

The Auk was put onto a trajectory that put it in the plane of space station Kerbinport's orbit (i.e. close enough to dead-on to the equator to count) and on a 47,500 m periapsis. This proved to be a bit too low at entry - the plane lost its two ventral airbrakes and its nose antenna/airspike to entry heating. Fortunately, nothing else was lost and I was able to get it into a 210x70 orbit initially, correcting to a 100-kilometer circular orbit for entry just this morning. After reaching the proper entry point for KSC, the plane de-orbited and made its way safely for landing at KSC 09. The plane bounced at landing and lost its two ventral engines, but suffered no more damage after that, and tourists Obsey and Erbal were able to de-board the plane none the worse for wear. I probably will adjust the gear setup on the plane all the same; it's what I get for going with a nose-up resting gear configuration over nose-down. I'm just glad I was able to land it - maiden flight and all that...

At this point, things are starting to gear up for the Eve mission. Engineer Ceri Kerman aboard LSV House Atreides over Eve has been hard at work for the past seven days building a new Hellhound 7a rover to scout for a site flat enough to support a TBD outpost, a job that I tried to do last week but failed due to poor heat shield placement (payload survived to the surface but exploded when I tried to jettison the shield thanks to it sticking into other parts; this has been rectified at this point). I'm hoping to get that rover onto the surface today and knock on wood I'll find a suitable outpost site as well. The experiments at Duna are almost done, and once that happens the crew will be heading over to Harkonnen to warp to Eve - it'll be time for that mission to get going at long last... 

2 hours ago, capi3101 said:

Here's my shorthand:

Beautiful. I had dreams about naming my ships like Ian M Banks novels but ended up with vessels and bases called "Snoop Lion" and "Hogwarts" and "Chunkybunch"  because they were easier to remember. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

Finally got a crew launcher I'm happy with. Forum, meet Alyrna Shuttle! It'll replace the Iteria-A as my main passenger carrier. Despite being much bigger than the Iteria-A it retains the same passenger capacity. The increased size is due to vastly higher dV in orbit (650m/s compared to 1350-1500 depending on ascent) as well as a full length cargo bay and inline, rather than nose mounted, docking controls.

0U15PNL.jpg

Some specs:

Crew Capacity : 6 Kerbals

Operational Capacity : 4 Kerbals

Cargo Capacity : 1 CRG-08 cargo bay's worth

Mass : 158.7t

dV in 100km Kerbin orbit : ~1350m/s

Docking Capability : Yes

It's almost perfectly balanced and remains so until about 15% is left in the external tank (has a Vector on the bottom).

1 hour ago, Pthigrivi said:

Beautiful. I had dreams about naming my ships like Ian M Banks novels but ended up with vessels and bases called "Snoop Lion" and "Hogwarts" and "Chunkybunch"  because they were easier to remember. 

Well, those aren't too far off of the names of Culture ships...you ever want an actual list, check out The State of the Art. There's a pretty funny conversation about the topic in the middle of the main novella there. Alternatively, Wikipedia has a reasonably comprehensive list. Hell, Elon Musk uses Culture ship names for his recovery barges...

As far as my own ship names go, I started reading through the Dune saga at the beginning of the year. I'm up to Heretics of Dune (book 5) right now, so it was on my mind when I got back into the game at v.1.5.x; my original operational warp ship had been named MSV Fat Man, which is why when it came time to launch my first warp ship this career save, I went with LSV House Harkonnen. Smaller ship overall, hence the reduction in designation.

Incidentally, my prototype warp ship was MSV Little Boy. I was still heavy on my nuclear weapons-and-related-topics kick back then. Still have ships named Strange Cargo, Next Objective, Necessary Evil and Laggin' Dragon...

The Gilligan's Island references are recent; it's because the ship type is called Minnow 7, the first of which was just used for an up-and-down flight. The designed proved far better/useful than originally intended.

God Emperor of Dune (book 4) was not as utterly nuts as I thought it was the first time I read through it...

3 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

"KRS A Significant Surfeit of Boosters"

"KRS That's An Impossibility, You Can Never Have Too Many Boosters"

"KRS Enough Boosters That I Can Touch Down On Eve In My First Stage"

32 minutes ago, Fearless Son said:

KRS A Statistically Anomalous Number of Boosters

KRS Cornucopia of Boosters

KRS Make Boosters, Not War

4 hours ago, capi3101 said:

Well, those aren't too far off of the names of Culture ships...you ever want an actual list, check out The State of the Art. There's a pretty funny conversation about the topic in the middle of the main novella there. Alternatively, Wikipedia has a reasonably comprehensive list. Hell, Elon Musk uses Culture ship names for his recovery barges...

As far as my own ship names go, I started reading through the Dune saga at the beginning of the year. I'm up to Heretics of Dune (book 5) right now, so it was on my mind when I got back into the game at v.1.5.x; my original operational warp ship had been named MSV Fat Man, which is why when it came time to launch my first warp ship this career save, I went with LSV House Harkonnen. Smaller ship overall, hence the reduction in designation.

Incidentally, my prototype warp ship was MSV Little Boy. I was still heavy on my nuclear weapons-and-related-topics kick back then. Still have ships named Strange Cargo, Next Objective, Necessary Evil and Laggin' Dragon...

The Gilligan's Island references are recent; it's because the ship type is called Minnow 7, the first of which was just used for an up-and-down flight. The designed proved far better/useful than originally intended.

God Emperor of Dune (book 4) was not as utterly nuts as I thought it was the first time I read through it...

Before effing Villeneuve got big ideas I was trying to write a Dune screenplay and read it like 20 times. I've had the hardest time with the sequels... its just not the same? But I should probably press on and get over it.

I've read most of the other Culture books but I always liked the names in Excession best. I guess Player of Games is probably the better book? My wife has never read them (not big into sci-fi) but I almost convinced her by reading that Wikipedia list out to her. 

2 hours ago, Fearless Son said:

"KSV Anticipation of a Delta-V Readout's Arrival, The,"

Edited by Pthigrivi

6 hours ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Finally got a crew launcher I'm happy with. Forum, meet Alyrna Shuttle! It'll replace the Iteria-A as my main passenger carrier. Despite being much bigger than the Iteria-A it retains the same passenger capacity. The increased size is due to vastly higher dV in orbit (650m/s compared to 1350-1500 depending on ascent) as well as a full length cargo bay and inline, rather than nose mounted, docking controls.

0U15PNL.jpg

Some specs:

Crew Capacity : 6 Kerbals

Operational Capacity : 4 Kerbals

Cargo Capacity : 1 CRG-08 cargo bay's worth

Mass : 158.7t

dV in 100km Kerbin orbit : ~1350m/s

Docking Capability : Yes

It's almost perfectly balanced and remains so until about 15% is left in the external tank (has a Vector on the bottom).

Normally I hate the way canards look. You made a great looking design where they don't obliterate the craft aesthetics.

OmO!

Good job.