What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Got out and pushed....XiJium8.png

It took 5.5 tanks of EVA RCS to lower the Pe from over 800km to a 30km re-entry after a Munar flyby in this new career. I probably would have had enough dV to do this without pushing if I'd remembered to drain the mono from the capsule and shaved the heat shield. And/Or if I had managed a proper gravity turn, instead of the lofted launch profile I usually end up with.

Of course I could have saved a few refills if I had decoupled the capsule, but the solar panels were on the propulsion stage and I didn't want the OKTO to run out of power to hold the SAS. Bob was along for the ride to reset the materials can, but he was ordered to push.

Siggel Kerman test flies the new Arrow...

[click the first and then use arrow keys for a slide show]
qZi0eEN.png   Ml6GPSn.png

x8R1aLV.png   MiU6aeZ.png

tBBJDva.png   DIL7wQt.png

Arrow clocked Mach 1.8 on the first flight.  Landing is surprisingly easy given that fourth fin in the tail.

(Personally, I detest fighter planes because they are such an inefficient method for transporting Kerbals and the energy losses on turns (that pilots insist upon repeating!) are so wasteful.  But I was watching a YT clip on aviation mishaps (737 Max) and took the click-bait to watch one on the Dornier 335 Pfeil, which is a mighty beautiful aeroplane.  Next thing, Siggel was climbing into one and strapping up...)

[Arrow is scheduled to roll off the KerbalX production line next Friday.]

Edited by Hotel26

I was tired of building my launch vehicles from scratch every time I want to launch something, so I spent an hour in the VAB saving the different stages for my Kraken V and X launch vehicles as subassemblies. I ran into the infuriating 'parts become unclickable in editor' bug several times, but at least now getting a launch vehicle for the job won't be as much of a pain. 

In the K.S.C. (write up coming later) there was Bob on a SMIRF.

tmMHvSW.jpg

Bob crossing the equator.

h8ZmCn7.jpg

Plus a possible apocalyse.

Really want to say it was a Bobpocalypse, but that would be a lie.

xgRcYAK.jpg

In other news, there was flying of Lil Dumpin' 1&2 in the Dumpling challenge.

cClhUO4.jpg

pICcQTH.jpg

Me in career mode: So I retracted my nosewheel to get a surface sample (I don't have a ladder yet), seems the plane is so well balanced the nose won't drop. That is so cewl.... :o

jOJnb6K.png

^_^

I spent some time today getting my early career Mun base set up.  I had landed the base last week some time, but hadn't gotten around to staffing it due to other launches taking priority.  First, I sent a Packrat rover to provide some mobility around the base, then a crew of 3 was sent to check things out.  One thing I hadn't planned for with this base was supplies - it only has 6 days of supplies for a crew of 3, so my first trial is a short one. 

TDAYhBB.png?1

The base was landed in the East Farside Crater, within a few hundred meters of my first landing sight.  The crew took the time to clean up some debris from that first landing.

Mounting the first jettisoned fuel tank to the Packrat

c9MQJFN.png?1

Found the second tank.  This would've been easier if I'd packed more than one explosive charge.   I had to attached them together to blow

utTz47u.png?1

And Kabooom!!!

5FW7RsC.png?1

Getting ready to leave Farside Base after the five day mission:

cRj0Iaz.png?1

I've still going through old, unfinished craft files, discarding most, but pulling a few ideas out of mothballs.  But this idea  was too delightfully weird not to resurrect.  This thing had its first successful flight and landing today. Still much work to do, stay tuned.  Surely another K.R.A.S.S.H. Industries (Klapaucius Reliable Air, Space, Sea & Hardware) icon in the making....

Cy5c9wA.png

gQBNSUG.png

(1.6.1) Almost had something awesome to tell y'all about today. Almost...

(Caveat on this post - I had my first semester overnight shift last night after getting essentially no sleep whatsoever yesterday evening, so if any non-sequiters appear in this post, I'm blaming that. Also picture-heavy today).

I managed to get a few things done over this past weekend (for once). On Saturday, I finished up the seismic survey flight of the Delta 1 quadcopter on Duna, hitting the other three required waypoints in succession. I'll admit to having found a mod that would help me hold my horizontal position as I flew, which made landing easier for me. Delta 1 has been left at the survey area for now; if I need to return it to the Enchova Central outpost at a later time, I'll do so. Meanwhile, the crew at EC printed up a new Rangeland launchpad for the outpost, since Delta 1 took out the existing one after a needed revert.

Sunday afternoon I got the message from LSV House Atreides in orbit of Kerbin; the print of the Merde-to-the-N 7 landing stage was finally complete. A snag presented itself almost immediately upon finalizing the print, however - the end of the stage stuck out past the end of Atreides's drydock, which meant that it would stick outside of the ship's warp bubble; a quick test confirmed this was the case...

3t0BM0B.png
Yeah, that Claw is the part of the stage that's supposed to hold it onto the payload it's sending down to Eve's surface...

The fact that only one piece was lost didn't deter me, though. A spare KAS screwdriver was printed up at the South Base near KSC and shot up to Atreides via mass driver along with supplies of Rocket Parts, Xenon, Monoproellant, Oxidizer and Liquid Fuel. With screwdriver in hand, engineer Ceri Kerman got out of the ship, floated over to the detached claw and gave it a push in the direction of the ship; when it got close enough, she was able to attach the Claw to the ship's exterior safely and the fueling operation continued after she climbed back aboard. Ultimately, the South Base mass driver transferred up 128 tonnes worth of rocket fuel supplies, a definite record for the program. With the fueling op done, pilot Rodhat Kerman boarded T. Howell III docked to House Atreides along with Ceri, and the two departed for the Dystopia Planitia shipyards over Kerbin. Howell arrived and docked successfully very, very early this morning and with the final checks completed, House Atreides departed Kerbin for Eve.

kBQjDyk.png
Heading out. 

It took about two in-game hours for Atreides to enter a 1054x977 kilometer, 8.8-degree inclined orbit over Eve. Once in orbit, engineer Jergar Kerman was tasked with the repair of the Merde-to-the-N, performing a tricky EVA to move the Claw back down into its correct position.

4JzpWan.png
"And you stay there, you hear me?!?!?!"

The repair operation was a success; Jergar climbed back aboard Atreides and the Merde-to-the-N was launched from the ship's drydock. The landing stage subsequently made its way to a successful rendezvous with the TBD 7d rover in a 100-kilometer equatorial orbit over Eve and grabbed it safely.

gSdzSpB.png
The final finished assembly. Would've preferred to grab the TBD by the craft's 10-meter heat shield, but the Claw wouldn't latch onto it. Just as well, as things turned out.

Shortly thereafter, attempts to land the craft at the Midlands site that the Echo 2 rover scouted out a few days ago commenced. The first attempt failed when I released the landing stage too early, causing complete disintegration of the craft. The second attempt...

czPy6KR.png

ZTBrcgN.png

ZQgs5BS.png
And now, once again it's time to play "Spot the Design Flaw!!!"

The rover did land on Eve's surface about thirty kilometers from the target zone. Alas that three of the tires blew themselves off straight away and the remaining five popped flats. Despite engineer Gilford Kerman getting out twice to fix the flats, the remaining tires just weren't up to the task of driving a 45-tonne load anywhere...wound up destroying another three......

be1Z1me.png
...damnation.

I'll admit that I reverted at this point, but in hindsight what I could've done was go ahead and deploy the Pathfinder fab lab stowed in the rear Wagon and printed up a new set of tires on site. Could've even increased the number to 12-14, maybe made it to where there was enough to support the load. Offing the 5000 units of Equipment it would've took to deploy the fab lab and a supporting mining unit for production of Materials Kits would've still left me with enough to establish a new base and it would've lightened the whole load a fair amount.

Another attempt to land the rover will be made in the near future. With luck, I might even put the rover even closer to the target. Or I might wind up doing the printing job anyway - you never know.

Came so close to being able to tell y'all I had a base on Eve today...only been trying to do that most of this past month......

I cancelled my Duna mission because of the DLC with the surface experiments coming up. I went and built a recovery boat for my attempts to land on the airfield. I'm rubbish at landing unless descending in more-or-less the right direction already.

Q8yMazx.png

It was quite hard to get in the water, it kept on flipping when I detached the rover undercarriage.

Launched a rocket with a payload of orbital station bound tourists in a brand new lander. I don't like the design of it, but it should work for now to help make some quick easy cash and cross out my to do list.

nOc9xpX.jpg

Lifter return needs work...

X9ZDaWw.png

Lander docked to booster and refueled. Time to sort personnel

DziC07V.jpg

Edited by Mister Kerman

So this took about a month.  

I launched a full science mission to Jool with an attached refueler so I wouldn't run out of Dv and snacks(playing with the snacks mod).  I soaked up pretty much all the science I could grab without landing, including all scan sat science.  Ditched my refueler into Jool and headed home.

I somehow only had enough Dv to barely get into an orbit with only ~30 m/s of monoprop even when I ditched all the useless engines and fuel tanks.  Got into a relatively low apoapsis and went for a re-entry.  OH HORROR!!  Could have sworn I thoroughly tested my craft but even when I reverted back and tried different angles, I was unable to survive my re-entry.  

I came up with a brilliant plan to create a massive space station that I could refuel, grab more snacks, dump extra science experiment into, and use to safely return my Kerbals when I goofed up other crafts, all with fully reusable launchers!  

It took me hours of planning and tons of revisions to get everything just right.  Finally, after more than 15 large launches, I had everything complete and sent a probe off to join the Jool science mission and my space station.  Connected them, and had my experiment storage units to grab all the precious science, but another problem struck!  Everything was stuck in my science module and would not come out no matter how much I tried.  So after I transferred my crew out, I spent several minutes clicking transmit data and I've been waiting 15 minutes on 10x warp for all the data to be received so I can watch my craft burn your in Kerbin's atmosphere

Tl;Dr: if you're designing a craft to re-enter Kerbin, make sure you test the damn craft out before taking a 10-year long journey

update: Finally got all my science transmitted and it took less than an hour!  got about 10k science back so it wasn't a complete waste and I got 3 scientists from 0 stars to 4 stars (this was my peek engineering and took several weeks to test both the re-fueler, return craft, and performance of the mothership).  Put my craft's periapsis at around 10km and what would you know? THE DAMN THING SURVIVED(stage recovery mod).  Having deleted any save back far enough to save that science, I am now a broken man and will be swearing off KSP forever!(AKA not playing for a month or two until I crave it again).

Edited by mrclucks
update and spelling/grammatical errors

Been playing other games for a while (Stellaris mostly) but tonight I sat down, fired up KSP and revisited a somewhat recent concept:

svIqRgF.jpg

Spoiler

TtPJd8n.jpg

w8l4zOJ.jpg

GCT9RG1.jpg

LoJj1gD.jpg

It handles and flies a lot better than I expected it to.