What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

dtwisIm.jpgI guess this is something I did yesterday but then the game did to me (or I noticed) today, but the moons of Jool chucked my mapping probe on a fast trajectory out of the sun’s SOI.

I had mapped the three inner moons and then had enough dV to do a flyby of Pol from Tylo. That all went well and I Kept an eye on it for a while afterwards as it got chucked around the Jool system, but it seemed to settle into a 45 degree orbit  just inside of Tylo’s. Then I time accelerated about half a year and went back to check and found this. Looks like 20 years and 200 days until it leaves the system, so I’ll have to check back on it then.

Pretty cool because I probably couldn’t have achieved this if I tried.

Edited by Sky Vagrant

Really excited - in all my plays I've never done a complete Apollo mission. I've done lots of similar things, but when I first saw ReStock I knew I had to do the full re-creation in 2.5x scale for closer to "realistic" challenge. After lots of delays and side projects (and a few partial test runs to test out equipment) I finally flew the entire mission tonight. I swear even after 3 years of playing this game keeps getting prettier and cooler. Thanks to @SQUAD for keeping up development and all the amazing modders  :) 

Full Album is here: https://imgur.com/gallery/adttC5A   Some of my fave pix are below:

n1wMPoH.png

PwiwivE.png

3Ge4I9N.png

x6DugwC.png

yIsK1MJ.png

9ybP8tT.png

Edited by Tyko

(1.6.1) My log has a single entry that, after decoding, says I landed the TBD 7d rover in Eve's Highlands, 30 kilometers from the target zone in the Midlands. It quickly became apparent to me that the rover doesn't have nearly enough in terms of wheels to support its mass, so I spent much of the day yesterday trying to figure out how to correct this oversight. My original thought had been to whip out the fab lab and start printing some more tires up, and this idea might've worked if the rover hadn't landed on a 16-degree slope and started sliding away - this with the brakes on and even the damn Buffalo airpark set. At this point I'm thinking about printing up and sending down a care package - both LSV House Harkonnen and LSV House Atreides are currently in Eve orbit, and both have supplies of Rocket Parts available, so it may just be a matter of which one can get the job done faster. That'll probably be Harkonnen.

Nothing else going on; nothing else accomplished this morning. No screenies aside from this one either...

lqad0Zy.png
46 tonnes, Eve...and eight wheels. What the crap was I thinking...

Edited by capi3101

Attempted to launch a two-stage sounding rocket to complete what should have been a simple contract. 4 launches later, still no dice. All four suffered second stage engine failure. TestFlight hates me. :(

On 5/6/2019 at 11:53 PM, Tyko said:

Really excited - in all my plays I've never done a complete Apollo mission. I've done lots of similar things, but when I first saw ReStock I new I had to do the full re-creation in 2.5x scale for closer to "realistic" challenge. After lots of delays and side projects (and a few partial test runs to test out equipment) I finally flew the entire mission tonight. I swear even after 3 years of playing this game keeps getting prettier and cooler. Thanks to @SQUAD for keeping up development and all the amazing modders  :) 

Full Album is here: https://imgur.com/gallery/adttC5A   Some of my fave pix are below:

9ybP8tT.png

I looked at all the pictures, great album @Tyko

...but to officially 'complete' the mission you need to build an aircraft carrier and Sea King with recovery basket (aka canasta)...

Related image

Just kidding man, great work!  Thanks for sharing. :)

Edited by Red Stapler

owo

pHbQzd0.jpg

6 tourists, a flag planting, science transmitted and an engine has been tested in orbit. I finally went to a significant scientific anomaly to boot. Good day.
With everyone safe and sound at the terminal, preparations are being made for customers and personnel to journey to Minmus. Another lander redesign is necessary to improve fuel margins however. (and I never liked the way that lander looked anyways...)

Edited by Mister Kerman

5 hours ago, Flibble said:

Attempted to launch a two-stage sounding rocket to complete what should have been a simple contract. 4 launches later, still no dice. All four suffered second stage engine failure. TestFlight hates me. :(

I think I have found the issue. I didn't realise high dynamic pressure can cause ignition failures. Time for a bit of a tweak on the staging.

Jeb accompanied by Bill did another test flight on the Dream-Runner.

UUSTnk6.png

To a new destination this time.

The newly uploaded Adam's ISS.

veoq8nE.png

OmzPfp8.png

Jeb: It ain't easy parking backward using the rear-view mirror.
Bill: Hey Jeb. You parked 90° off the stations alignment.
Jeb: I know.
Jeb: I did it on purpose.
Jeb: Cause that's the way I am.

T1pPKGU.png

Again survived re-entry.
I have to work (With help from Bill of course) on improving it's flying characteristics.

ME
Edited by Martian Emigrant

2Dqr8Ky.png

(RSS-RO) A bit of a new thing :P

MAEO (Mars Atmospheric Evolution Orbiter) launches on an Atlas V 421 on March 30, 2001. Reached Mars orbit on December 15, 2001. First Mars orbit! 

5 hours ago, Martian Emigrant said:

Jeb accompanied by Bill did another test flight on the Dream-Runner.

Gotta love mini-shuttles. :D  Quite fond of my own...

HVjqPjQ.png

I have to work (With help from Bill of course) on improving it's flying characteristics.

I use three plugins to help with mine: Correct CoL, RCSBuildAid, and Atmospheric Autopilot. The first two are extremely useful for making sure your CoM/CoL alignment is accurate, as the stock ones don't account for fuel burn and don't work quite as well as one would hope, respectively, and the AA software package makes for extremely easy flying, even at 45* AoA like I do during reentry.

In other news, managed to wrangle a Class E asteroid into orbit around Kerbin...

ltFDA1e.png

Even with a WBI Hypernova engine, that was a heck of a burn. But, it's captured, if not equatorial and circularized yet... Need to burn through a couple more tonnes of fusion pellet fuel before that happens. But, as it packs over 1500 tonnes of ore, I'll never have to run a refueling tanker of LFO, monoprop, or LH2 from the KSC for quite some time after I get this thing where I want it!

8E9JWpQ.png

Work with the Class C asteroid I captured a while back continues, with the installation of a compact nuclear reactor to provide around-the-clock power to the outpost. Due to the fact that said reactor didn't fit into the inventory space of a kerbal, I used an old trick with MechJeb I discovered long ago to get the parts down to their destination: Lock the cargo ship's target to the EVA Kerbal, and set the SmartRCS to ZeroRVel. Then, just jetpack to the work site, and the ship keeps perfect formation with your kerbal.

RVFlyIk.png

Also delivered this ungainly contraption to the refinery outpost. It's a set of extra boosters for my orbital tug that can be docked to provide an extra kick. The core section gets jettisoned after docking to the outpost's docking hub, leaving the center section free for the tug to slide in and dock to one of the three boosters. They then get decoupled, and the other two promptly dock to the other two radial ports. SHould be enough dV to kick the tug with a minishuttle attached all the way to Minmus. Not sure how well it'll do on the return right now, as this has been waiting for a few weeks to finally launch, so I forget exactly how much dV it has fully fueled.

Finally, the Duna flotilla has started to arrive in earnest now, starting with the second of two Viking Lite landers. This one got sent to the north polar cap:

VuVTD0L.png

zxomEti.png

Other arrivals so far include the Duna Surface Landing and Ascent Module, 2-seat (SLAM-2), the habitat and lab modules for the Duna surface stay, the lab sample return lander, and the Ike surface lab...

Gqoan80.png

Managed to have exactly the right amount of dV needed to not only arrive at Ike, but to cleanly deorbit the transfer stage and land the lab separately. No pics from the landing, as it was nighttime in a rather dark location, but it is safely on Ike. The Hab module has just slipped into Duna's SoI, but should have no issues landing safely as well.

Edited by MaverickSawyer

Developed a new launcher (Kappa-2) to carry several base modules in one go. 7.5 diameter, capable of over 100 tonnes to LKO with (almost) full reusability.

(SpaceY + SpaceY Expanded)

ArqEGbG.png

Rendezvous with my interplanetary freighter, Nozomi Maru (shuttling between Kerbin and the Duna system). The modules are then docked one at a time.

2AyZxA9.png

Both stages are reusable (but the inflatable heat shield is disposed when it lands)

3xtwbvL.png

Heading for Duna

gMeL8NQ.png

Edited by Pipcard

(1.6.1) Going to be one of those posts where a lot of stuff happened aside from me pressing the F1 key at multiple opportune moments. You've been warned.

So after landing the TBD 7d base-seeding rover on Eve on Monday and quickly realizing that I had failed to include enough wheels for its mass, I spent much of the rest of Monday trying to figure out how I was going to add more wheels to the existing rover (the mods I have installed allow for that sort of thing). By the end of the day having had all attempts at a working in-situ solution thwarted, it became obvious to me that I was going to have to deliver extra wheels to the site. I had the bright idea to modify the design of the Echo Flyer 7 quadcopter to hold a Pathfinder Mule resource container, something that could be reconfigured for both cargo and resources. The default configuration of the modified 'copter would use the Mule in a KIS storage configuration and haul down the extra wheels to the rover. It occurred to me that if that plan failed for some reason, the 'copter would still be capable of hauling all of the rover's base equipment to its intended final destination, then come back and haul over the needed Equipment to start deploying it (or whatever order I finally elected to do things in). A test flight of the new design was conducted at KSC, with the craft landing easily on top of the VAB. After the addition of an entry stage and a de-orbit stage, the new Echo Flyer 7a was ordered up for construction aboard LSV House Harkonnen in orbit of Eve.

This brought up a new problem for me, though - Harkonnen didn't have sufficient Rocket Parts to print the Flyer aboard, and while LSV House Atreides also in Eve orbit had a full supply aboard, there still wasn't enough between the two of them to finish the build. In a panic as to how I was going to get the needed Parts to Eve, I ordered the construction of a new warp ship at the Bi-La Kaifa Shipyards over Duna; LSV House Corrino will be under construction for the next three weeks. Meanwhile, a Christmas Tree 7 nuclear charging station is under construction at the Infans Calcitrant Yards over Ike; it should finish up in eight days. Neither of these addressed the problem of getting more Parts to Eve in time (since the Flyer would only take a mere fifteen hours to complete), so why I started these projects is rather dubious. Chalk it up to sleep deprivation...

Earlier this morning, with a mere 24 Rocket Parts on board, the total supply from LSV House Atreides was transferred over to LSV House Harkonnen via the ships' respective mass drivers. Atreides then warped over Kerbol to recharge its exotic matter supply and slow down for return to Kerbin. In the meantime, a Venkmann 7 science processing probe finished up a Material Exposure Space Study at the Non Caseus Yards over Mun; the probe was released and would've burned for Kerbin except that it was about thirty m/s of delta-V too short to do so. I'll have to figure out another way of getting the probe's payload back to Kerbin and redesign the probe itself at the next opportunity. A Venkmann 7a science probe lander parked on the launch pad at the Piper Alpha outpost on Mun finished up a Temperature Survey, so it launched from the outpost and made its way back to Kerbin; it splashed down safely and cleared a long-standing contract in the process. Atreides then returned to Kerbin and entered orbit, staying just long enough for the South Base outpost near KSC to refill its supply of Rocket Parts via mass driver. Atreides then warped out of orbit and returned to Eve. Upon arrival, the supply aboard Harkonnen was evaluated and Atreides was able to refill Harkonnen before attaining orbit, ensuring the other warp ship would be able to complete the print of the Echo Flyer. Atreides reattained orbit, and an hour later, the Echo Flyer 7a was complete, rolling out of Harkonnen's drydock.

From there, the trick was to get the craft down to the TBD 7d.

0BjmRM3.png
Echo Flyer 7 around 300,000m over Eve, burning for atmospheric entry near the TBD 7d rover.

Owing to the way the craft was built (namely, the fact that the cabin should not be the control point but I have no way of accessing the part I really want as the control point), I have had to make three attempts so far to get the craft to the surface; the third attempt would've succeeded had the game not chosen to lock up (copter was unstowed and flying at the time). I have the entry profile from the third attempt written down, and will be making a fourth attempt to get it to the stricken rover later this morning (knock on wood). I'm hopeful that the copter's mission will be a success one way or another - whether it enables the TBD to drive the thirty kilometers to its final intended destination or it ferries the passengers, equipment and crew over there itself. Should make an effective auxiliary vehicle for the new outpost no matter what.

Going to get that outpost going, y'all...

After a few weeks of not much KSP, I've completely overhauled my vacuum landing KOS scripts and hopefully ironed out a few bugs in the process.

I can now do a plane change and land within a couple of hundred meters of a given Lat/Lng.  Most of the inaccuracy is due to the current script ignoring the rotation of the moon when doing the plane change, and then trying to correct for the drift on the deceleration burn, on the equator I'm getting with 20m or so.  It shouldn't be too hard to get a rough estimate of where the point will be when I get there to allow the burn to correct it better.

For a mission to get some science from a given biome, <200m is plenty close enough, especially as it'll can go hunting for a flat spot if the slope's too steep (not tested that bit in the new code yet), but I want to have the option of pinpoint landings once I start base building.  I've hover taxi'd to land on a docking port in atmosphere before so I'd like to be able to land tankers and supply ships on ports in the same way.

SIKAEke.png

ZmuwCeL.png

MQ24Mkw.png