What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

@AFF I totally had the same problem with wheels during my "Purple Pain" Eve exploration series. That planet is just evil.

As to the thread:

I did a Blue Moon lander replica, flew it on a New Glenn replica and tried to land the booster on a ship. Things didn't completely turn out as I planned...

Today, I decide that it was time to replace my first Minmus base with something a little more...big. This, of course, required both moar struts and moar boosters.

KINmGSV.png

The craft actually flew pretty nicely, albeit slowly due to frame rate issues.

Spoiler

hBXX0b6.png

Spoiler

1lSS0Zm.png

Even the landing went relatively smoothly.

qDSgtQj.png

And overall, far superior to the base it replaced...

Spoiler

CIZAV28.png 

Edited by AngryKitty
Added additional spoiler tag.

31 minutes ago, CycloneStorm said:

i crashed darn i am terrible at this game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thrust me, it only gets worse . . . :lol:

Welcome to the forum. :cool:

I've had a few ups & downs in my career the last few days.  There was an unfortunate incident with tourists & a pilot on the Mun.  The worst part of that is pilots seem to be in short supply this career - tourists don't seem deterred by the loss.  I also got to perform my first repair in orbit of this career due to a separatron blowing up the engine of a survey satellite in polar orbit during staging.  That is also the first time I've ever tried to repair a satellite in orbit, and repair anything in polar orbit.

Kelrik the engineer on EVA to the crippled satellite

fAgL8c2.png?1

Repair complete - I didn't quite stick the new engine perfectly centered, but it was close enough to send the satellite into it's intended orbit without problems.

RhuDkKk.png?1

Afterwards, Jeb got to test out a new jet.  My old "CF-02 Viper" design wasn't usable in this career due to a mod change, so it was rebuilt from scratch.  The procedural wings look nicer anyway.  Jeb pushed it up to 20km to satisfy a contract, then returned to a smooth landing at KSC.  It still needs a few tweaks, but overall it was a nice flying plane.

gr9xWoM.png?1

Finally, Jeb & Kelrik embarked on my furthest rescue in this career so far, in a ~17900km 156* inclined orbit.  Unfortunately, I forgot it was a rescue Pallorf & her pod, not just a rescue.  So Kelrik broke out the screwdriver & attached her pod to the nose of the rescue vehicle.  Now I just have to wait 2 days to see how this thing handles reentry. 

w6SRxGO.png?1

20 hours ago, Xurkitree said:

Today I started my Alternis Tylo Kerballed Landing and Return mission.

Godspeed.

One of my proudest achievements in KSP is the Perfectly Safe Kerbaled Fully Reusable Tylo Landing And Return System. Gets one kerbal to Tylo surface and back to LTO with no bits left behind!

Today FlibbSpace launched a new spin stabilised high altitude sounding rocket. The target was 1000km above Earth.

After an on-pad engine failure (caught and safely aborted by the computer), the first launch was... not good. Due to a guidance computer failure the second stage didn't separate correctly, resulting in an attitude deviation and loss of the vehicle.

Happily, with the programming corrected, the second launch was a success.

y4m05YU5B1CWf7jhue4FsRxrNqOrugwtnwIT7Pyg

y4mPWq2hp-B-5w1jV3cNiPYhW7_j6m5Ryytthnn4

A maximum altitude of 1018 km was achieved, a successful mission all round.

In other news, I fixed my Scatterer and EVE installs, so everything is pretty. ;)

1 hour ago, Brikoleur said:

Godspeed.

One of my proudest achievements in KSP is the Perfectly Safe Kerbaled Fully Reusable Tylo Landing And Return System. Gets one kerbal to Tylo surface and back to LTO with no bits left behind!

In Alternis Tylo or stock?

10 minutes ago, Xurkitree said:

In Alternis Tylo or stock?

Stock. I never even heard of Alternis until now, just looked it up... wow that's a whole 'nuther ball game, Alternis Tylo looks like an utter beast and probably impossible to SSTO out of!

Edited by Guest

(1.6.1) For a brief, shining moment this past weekend, I had a brand new, fully functional manned outpost on the surface of Eve. Sadly, the nascent base received a congratulatory message shortly thereafter from a certain cephalopod, requiring a revert...

So to recap: the TBD 7d rover proved to be an unusable design for Eve on account of its weight; even after adding sixteen wheels, I couldn't get it down the hill it was parked on without tires exploding/popping, so the decision was made to establish a small storage depot (Echo Station 1), offload all the usable equipment and parts to the depot and scuttle the rover, using the Echo Flyer 7a quadcopter to ferry everything to the desired site 37 kilometers away in Eve's Midlands. That process began on Thursday with the delivery of the first base structures and engineer Gilford Kerman's absent-mindedness; he left the screwdriver he'd need to start building the new base back at Echo Station 1. When I last reported, pilot Lerod Kerman and scientist Rodemone Kerman were bringing him the screwdriver and still had seven klicks to go before they returned to the Midlands site.

So on Friday, the Echo Flyer did finally make it back to the site, with Rodemone handing Gilford the screwdriver. To assist with the future flights between the two sites, Gilford and Rodemone carefully detached the SAFER nuclear reactor from the nearby Echo 2 rover and slung it underneath the Echo Flyer's starboard pylon, with Gilford attaching the first set of base structures to Echo 2 for temporary safe keeping. The two kerbals then re-positioned the Echo Flyer's existing SAFER reactor underneath the portside pylon to re-balance the craft's mass accordingly, which had the effect of doubling the steady power supply. Gilford then boarded the Echo Flyer, which then departed for Echo Station 1; Rodemone stayed behind with Echo 2 and the starting base structures. The extra reactor didn't completely solve the Echo Flyer's power supply problems, but it did go a long way towards it; the fourth flight of the craft proved to be the only one where it was unnecessary to land to recharge the batteries.

Upon returning to Echo Station 1, the remaining base structures were loaded aboard; I had at this point rediscovered the Pathfinder mod's button on the sidebar and the little cheat button that said "top off resources". It occurred to me that I could use this button to save myself half-a-dozen flights between the two outposts, since I could reconfigure the craft's Mule container to hold Equipment. I made careful note of how much Equipment there was aboard Echo Station 1; while I had decided to cheat, I didn't want to overdo it. Ran into a slight snag after loading up the remaining base structures; try as I might, I couldn't get Gilford to Climb Out at the top of the ladder to get back inside the craft. So I decided to test his grip strength.

SpiwUYp.png
Keep hanging on there, Gilford - you're doing great! Mind your head!!

I kept the Echo Flyer low and slow until finally it went over a patch of ground that had a slope of just over nine degrees; landing there, Gilford finally was able to Climb Out and get back aboard the Flyer, at which point the craft headed towards the Midlands Site. The extra weight taxed the engines a little more heavily on this flight, and it was necessary to stop and recharge just once.

s1K8wg4.png
Arrived. Finally.

Upon arrival, the second SAFER was returned to Echo 2 and Gilford unpacked the base structures. After hooking up the Echo Flyer to the Pondarosa Blacksmith fab lab module via KIS resource transfer station, the cheating plan was instituted and the Pondy was inflated, after which all the equipment transferred aboard. Gilford deployed five more structures including a Geology Lab and a storage module for Equipment; the remaining Equipment was transferred off to the Mule along with one and a half more Equipment loads. 

Kraken ultimately shook this initial base apart, but not before I got some crucial data from the Geology Lab:

9WKxdu0.png
Metal Ore abundance - not zero. I can build the Bento Box here...

I was able to revert to the point where the Flyer arrived and this morning I have three of the outpost structures rebuilt, with the Equipment resources transferred over and the resource transfer station stowed. I quit the game with the base's airbrake off, so I'm hopeful when I begin the game again nothing will explode and strand my three kerbals out on the surface. At this point I just have to keep the Kraken from eating the Alexander L. Kielland outpost on the surface of Eve again, or at least, keep it from happening long enough to launch something from there. All the indicators say it's possible. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Built a supersonic AWACS, codenamed Gungnir. It's designed to provide recon support for large-scale air battle

K7Dcru8.png

Unlike most AWACS, Gungnir is designed to spearhead the aerial assault, thrusting through enemy territory while marking all enemy airceaft within large area and relaying the recon data to allied squadron while jamming enemy electronics

xmjEqQe.png

Gungnir is designed to perform multiple pass through contested airspace, providing constant ECM, reconnaisance and targeting data to allied units. It carries no weapon. Speed, ECM and flares are the only defense it has, it flies so fast that it's very difficult to be targeted and can simply outrun incoming missiles

Edited by ARS

3 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

Stock. I never even heard of Alternis until now, just looked it up... wow that's a whole 'nuther ball game, Alternis Tylo looks like an utter beast and probably impossible to SSTO out of!

And apparently to land and return as well, since nobody has ever done with stock parts since 0.23

Today I managed my very first (efficient) Kerbin Eve Kerbin Kerbin transfer to Jool using around 1300m/s and only 40 years of lifetime :D.

This craft has no real purpose, I used the Skipper as a transfer stage, above is a apollo-style lander with 3100m/s on the lower stage and 2700 on the ascent module. I may visit Vallhenge since I'm here !

rj8ioo.jpg

Edited by Kerbolitto