What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

On 5/22/2019 at 1:25 AM, purpleivan said:

After a few days away, it was back to bringing the crew home in the Kerbin Sorta-Circumnavigation.

For this fuel was required, this time brought by the More Range version of the Juice Goose, flown by Gusman Kerman.

2iFXVm7.jpg

The drop tanks covered a lot of the distance out to the Coastal Cruiser.

KpDCXNH.jpg

Gusman played chicken with some mountains... I think we can call it a draw, as although the plan didn't end up as smoking wreckage, it did lose the control surface on the end of the left wing.

CBn1Wia.jpg

Then some recon was done on a river, further up the coast from the boat. It had been planned to head up it to the mountains, but as usual, the river needs a little dredging.

GT8gnDO.jpg

Finally he made it to th boat after a landing in the dark.

Wj7cAGu.jpg

Can you send me the design, I need it to take some advice for a design of a circumnavigation challenge I want to make, and hopefully be the first contender, also, how far can it go without refueling, as that will be the major part of the challenge.

I will be chatting with @michal.don and am waiting for a response from a patch designer, may be done with planning by next week. Then we will be writing the Mission and finally posting it later this month if all goes well.

Edited by Mikenike
Information was added

35 minutes ago, Mikenike said:

Can you send me the design, I need it to take some advice for a design of a circumnavigation challenge I want to make, and hopefully be the first contender, also, how far can it go without refueling, as that will be the major part of the challenge.

Yep... I'll put the boat up on KerbalX tomorrow (a bit late for me when I saw the post).

It has a range of 500km on a single load of fuel, but that's when keeping the speed to about 35m/s, to keep the cost of drag down. I also found out this evening that I could squeeze a bit more range out of it, by adjusting the trim. When the boat was lightly fuelled, moving some fuel from the rear to the front, I could get an extra 2.5m/s out of it, without increasing thrust.

If I've not put the craft file up on KerbalX in the next 20 hours, give me a nudge on and I'll get onto it.

BTW... that range is with the rover attached, I imagine removing that and the platform it sits on would increase it a fair bit.

UPDATE:

The craft is now on KerbalX.

https://kerbalx.com/purpleivan/Coastal-Cruiser-2

Edited by purpleivan

With only an approximate Lat/Long from a low res ScanSat pass to go on I managed to plonk a lander down just 1.3km away from an anomaly on Minmus, and Brooke spotted a good selfie opportunity when she realised both the Mun and Kerbin were in shot

4CfXS9B.pngfkGxoDn.png

Don't think my landing script is precise enough to put a lander down on top of it yet though 

(1.6.1) Ruddy weather prevented me from playing too much yesterday - was making sure my house wasn't either going to a) get blown away or b) get washed away. Lucked out down here; hoping none of y'all have had to deal with any of that. 

I began my day at the South Base outpost near KSC, which sent up several loads of supplies via mass driver to LSV House Harkonnen recently returned from Eve to a high equatorial orbit over Kerbin. The base turned out to have insufficient available fuel supplies to completely refuel Harkonnen, but it was able to send up enough to refuel the two Bill Clinton 7c grabber probes the ship was carrying as payload. After Gilligan (which was docked to Harkonnen) transferred three science experiments into the business end of the Bento Box 7 and the probes were fully fueled, the two Clintons undocked from Harkonnen.

5UDWrfw.png
Dreamcatcher, the only named Bill Clinton 7c probe I've ever launched, casting off from House Harkonnen, with the Bento Box 7 in its claw.

Both probes then descended to a 100 kilometer equatorial orbit, using space station Kerbinport as a target for purposes of an exact alignment with the equator. The Clinton hauling scientist Siefen Kerman's craft then deorbited, with the probe ultimately making a safe splashdown fifty kilometers to the east of KSC and fulfilling a contract to bring both kerbal and craft from orbit of Ike. After that it was Dreamcatcher's turn.

DwhjTIS.png
Dreamcatcher casting off its docking shroud, with KSC targeted for landing.

fuDIHfJ.png
Burned the engines a little in atmosphere...kinda liking the data I'm getting from Trajectories at this point.

byucuPp.png
...ah, so that's how you do that. Good to know.

Dreamcatcher landed safely, missing the inner marker of KSC 09 by less than fifty meters. The probes' landing fulfilled several first world contracts involving returning to Kerbin from Eve, and Dreamcatcher's return in particular with the Bento Box 7 fulfilled my Exploration contract's requirement to bring a craft back to Kerbin's surface from Eve's surface. So glad that actually worked...

I haven't finished the Exploration contract's other requirement yet, which is to splash a craft into Eve's oceans. For that, I've got a revised Echo Flyer quadcopter under construction at the Alexander L. Kielland outpost on Eve, which should complete in about another five hours. When finished, I plan to fly the copter to the ocean, splash then hopefully take back off and get it at least back to land (ideally back to the outpost at some point), and I'm hoping that will unlock Gilly for me. I've got a crew selected for the Gilly outpost but they're all rookies, so next up in the pipe is an Auk XII 6-passenger spaceplane flight to Kerbinport for ferrying to Minmus along with two colonists heading that way. Da Luv Boht 7 is still under construction at the Non Caseus Yards over Mun and I've got three contracts riding on the craft's completion; it might finish up later today with any kind of luck. Other than that I've got LSV House Corrino still under construction at the Bi-La Kaifa Shipyards over Duna with a contract riding on its completion, and I've still got the Ray Charles 7 solar telescope heading out to its final position over Kerbol - it won't arrive there for another 75 days or so, definitely my longest-range contract at this point. Everything else is on hold until this all finishes up, which will happen hopefully soon.

Still trying to come up with a good name for the eventual shipyard I plan to build over Gilly. Only thing I can think to do there is make a reference to the Game of Thrones character. I'm open to suggestions...

9 minutes ago, capi3101 said:

Still trying to come up with a good name for the eventual shipyard I plan to build over Gilly. Only thing I can think to do there is make a reference to the Game of Thrones character. I'm open to suggestions... 

Little Gilly.

Another slug of fuel sent out to the boat in the Kerbin Sorta-Circumavigation, this time resulting in an incomplete aircraft.

QMWU62C.jpg

At least the pilot could jump aboard and join the crew for the remainder of the trip.

4wQ14HI.jpg

In other activity attempts were made to make the first sea plane.

The first version, named The Duck, had some odd handling characteristics, but at least it could takeoff, fly and land safely.

yJHJiIs.png

An "improved" version was test flown... also called The Duck took to the skies and flew some distance to the East of the KSC, before attempting to make a landing at sea.

YpdqYTr.png

This did not end well.

LZthQTF.png

But at least the crew got a view of some strange cloud formations.

jUcVGAH.png

Just goes to show that the old saying was right.

If it's called a duck and er... other things duck, it's not a seaplane.

Edited by purpleivan

In a stunning coincidence, my exploits line up incredibly well with those of @purpleivan. (Even if only in setting) In what is neither stunning, nor a coincidence, I am once again posting this from a laptop with no KSP on it and using only screenshots I had uploaded earlier in the day.

And yes. This is the default sub that comes with Buffalo.screenshot419.png

screenshot420.png

These things do take some getting used to, as I very quickly ended up either breaching the surface as a whale does, or hitting the bottom like a rock does (Just the nose though. The tail was sticking up and a rather high angle.) This is the first time in a while I have audibly said "I really should have brought more Lead."

Edited by DeltaDizzy

36 minutes ago, DeltaDizzy said:

These things do take some getting used to, as I very quickly ended up either breaching the surface as a whale does, or hitting the bottom like a rock does (Just the nose though. The tail was sticking up and a rather high angle.) This is the first time in a while I have audibly said "I really should have brought more Lead."

A while ago I had a little whale like exit after exploring the undersea world (of Jacques Kerman) ... no damage though, just an entertained kerbal.

I16uABY.jpg

(1.6.1) While I was awaiting the completion of a new Echo Flyer 7 quadcopter at the Alexander L. Kielland outpost on Eve, I decided to go ahead and get started with the training of my intended crew for my next outpost (which will hopefully be on Gilly). Pilot Melrie Kerman, scientist Dumin Kerman and engineer Bartzor Kerman boarded an Auk XII 6-passenger spaceplane along with scientist Siefen kerman and colonists Brian and Calble Kerman. The Auk took off from KSC 09 en route to space station Kerbinport.

HQ21nYq.png
Plane flying - there's something I haven't done in a while. And with an Auk XII - the hot rod of the Auk series.

The plane affected a successful rendezvous and docking at Kerbinport, at which point the assembled crew boarded Necessary Evil docked at the station with pilot Gregald Kerman at the helm. After fueling, Necessary Evil departed Kerbinport and burned for Minmus; she's scheduled for arrival in Minmus's SOI in 37 hours.

6PO8jEV.png
Necessary Evil at departure. It's been a while since I've flown a Superfortress 7 ferry craft too...

Next I began a print of a Bill Clinton 7b grabber probe at the Dystopia Planitia orbital shipyard over Kerbin to perform a junk hauling mission; Ceri will have the probe ready in 23 hours. I then had engineer Jergar Kerman aboard LSV House Atreides in high orbit over Eve transmit a crew report to fulfill an orbital science contract there, and then had the Auk return to KSC 09; none of the kerbals currently en route to Minmus will be returning to Kerbin anytime soon. Landing was a success, if a bit hard and left of the center.

ALK then signaled the completion of the new Echo Flyer, which was unimaginatively dubbed Echo 3 upon release from the outpost's launchpad. The craft took off on its mission, which was to splash something down in Eve's oceans.

wvpgJlG.png
I remembered seeing sea to the northeast while the Echo 2 rover was driving to the current ALK site; it turned out to be not all that distant.

A suitable patch of explodium was quickly located and the 'copter carefully made its way over it.

ZUxsvm0.png
Looks like Kool-Aid...

Splashdown was a success.

6vUnmYC.png
Little bit of an overshoot as far as landing on the explodium is concerned. Was pretty sure I didn't want to leave the 'copter down in this stuff for too long...Eve's atmo is dense enough, so just how dense is this crap?

With the conditions of the contract fulfilled, the 'copter returned to ALK.

kVY6fqP.png
Home sweet levitating home...

The splashdown had the intended effect of completing the current Eve exploration contract, and as hoped, it unlocked the first Gilly exploration contract to conduct a flyby. After waiting in Eve orbit for forty days for a go-ahead, the Gillycomm1, Gillycomm2 and ScanSat Gilly probes all made burns to meet up with the 'roid. Gillycomm2 is scheduled to arrive first in twenty hours time; ScanSat Gilly will arrive last, in 26 hours. All three probes are going to go into orbit whether the next exploration contract says to or not. Before they arrive, I have a scheduled resupply of the Bi-La Kaifa Shipyards over Duna to perform (she'll be just about out of Rocket Parts for the construction of LSV House Corrino), Da Luv Boht 7 is scheduled to launch from the Non Caseus Yards over Mun, I'll have a colonization contract at the Deepwater Horizon outpost on Minmus finishing up, and Ceri should have that Clinton ready to go garbage collecting. Fair amount of stuff going on at the moment; really looking forward to seeing if I can support a surface base on Gilly or not.

This is DSRN V and it's a game-changer for me;

ZiJs5i7.png

I started a new "world" in v1.6.1 last January and, so far, I have ships en route to Moho but have otherwise not been out of the Kerbin SOI.  Having too much fun at home on Kerbin; besides which I use a rule prohibiting fast forwarding more than about 30 minutes.  (There's always something else you can do in that time.)  The result is that transfer windows seem very real to me in terms of how it feels to launch a project and then wait years to see the culmination.

It's actually made me ruminate about the feasibility of "time splicing" between worlds...  that's another topic, though.

I started testing DSRN V in my Lab world and decided, hang it!, let's go to every planet with it: warp speed!

Can you believe that I have been playing KSP since Dec 2014 and there are STILL two planets I have never set eyes upon!

That's about to change.

On a related note, I've tested an Observatory Outpost intended to trail Kerbin in orbit.

I13Ywp0.png

It's just an experiment in being able to plot interplanetary maneuvers in a kind of spreadsheet fashion to plot when to go and how.

Edited by Hotel26

Last night we landed a probe on Vall, an icy planet with a thin layer of ice clouds...

9VCNT41.png

Just above the new and wispy 10k cloud layer (after several attempts in EVE, I think I got the look I want)...

HXQa7ay.png

Just a little hazy, should be a nice 140 Kelvin (-210F) at the equator today...

U6l58jJ.png

'I can hold it. Gimme more room to run' (aka Porkins I Probe coming in a little too fast).  Yeah, I had to re-do the landing...

JwgQXvY.png

Crap, looks like traffic on the Jool interplanetary causeway again...

jquHn93.png

In case anyone was wondering...no Porkins were harmed during this documentary. 

Image result for porkins quote

RIP Red 6

:)

TGIF...hope you all have a great day!

Edited by Red Stapler

Haven't had much KSP time this week, but I did manage to complete a contract to send an uncrewed lander to Mun & return (NOT transmit) science to Kerbin.  I've been playing long enough that most of my designs have become fairly standardized, but I don't have a standard uncrewed lander capable of returning home, so I got to be creative.  And since I wasn't using a standard craft, I even built a new Soviet-style launcher for it - although I accidentally deleted the Korolev Cross screenshot.

Lander with Mun transfer stage:

oMgoQOu.png?1

Jettisoning transfer stage after deorbit burn.   I was also playing with an online photo editor which is why Mun looks so shiny:

9buCpo6.png?1

Landing:

vzSBnFm.png?1

Return to Mun orbit.  I used the remaining fuel in the lander stage to take off before staging away the return capsule with it's single Ant:

3C2dpHW.png?1

Kerbin return maneuver.  I hardly every use the Ant engine - not that I dislike them, just that I usually use Spiders instead for something small like this that isn't intended to stay in orbit for years.

3cLcvbA.png?1

Edited by Cavscout74

On 5/21/2019 at 7:18 PM, Triop said:

I'll just let myself out . . .

You are so creative man, great stuff!

I put creepy clown music to that last night.  The stuff of nightmares.   

Also, made me think of squashing Ewoks for some reason. :ph34r:

Edited by Red Stapler

41 minutes ago, Red Stapler said:

Also, made me think of squashing Ewoks for some reason. 

Yeah, I'd love to make a AT-ST walker, but I can't figure out the servo functions on IR.

I'll just wait for the new DLC. &)

Edited by Triop

Well there's just one more leg to go in the round Kerbin trip of insanity that is the Kerbin Sorta-Circumnavigation.

In this last but one bit of boating around the planet's coastline, Bill and Tanford clock watched as fuel was transferred onboard.

e7lrzFn.jpg

Bill wept, for there would be no more mountains to conquer.

xfTNegL.jpg

Tanford had the feeling that someone, or something was keeping an eye on them.

8Xd7ktg.jpg

Jeb was certain of a future full of exciting (and expensive) space voyages... as long as he's willing to stoop to blackmail.

8F7O0MO.jpg