What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

39 minutes ago, Noir said:

An alligator hinge is connected to a G-00 hinge, which is than repeated on the other side. On one of the G-00 hinges is a cubic strut which the wheel sits on. The G-00 hinge that the centre cubic strut is not connected to, is strutted together with a normal strut connector. This image may help. Keeping the motors turned on, but with a very low output, means the hinge will want to return to it's target angle, which in turn creates a suspension/springy like result. It's not a best, and the numbers need tweaking, but it works.

Just the idea to keep motor active at a low output give a kind of suspension effect, thank you for this idea ! I was searching for something like that =D

I built my first functional robotic contraption with the parts from Breaking Ground: a manipulator arm.

qsdFQ5R.png

The Action Sets introduced in 1.7.1 were really handy for this...the way I have it set up, I'll be able to switch the rotation controls from the craft to the arm, and use it to manipulate stuff without spinning my shuttle/space station around. The one caveat is that autostruts don't seem to play nice with the robotic parts most of the time, so I had to resort to enabling rigid attachment on the arm's parts. I generally avoid using rigid attach and stick to grandparent autostrut, since it tends to tempt the Kraken, but it was the only option here.

This compact arm will probably be only used for my space shuttle - I plan to design a bigger one using Klaws for my space station, as they'll make it easier to grab all kinds of stuff, and it's apparently possible to make walking arms with them. I just wish there was a 0.625m Klaw to use on smaller craft, like this small arm.

(1.6.1) Keep on trying to jump on the 1.7.x bandwagon; time keeps on slipping away from me. Slow 'net and heavy workload at work aren't helping much.

Friday began with a mass driver supply shot between South Base near KSC and the Dystopia Planitia shipyard in Kerbin's orbit; the shipyard was nearly completely devoid of supplies and I needed to full up T. Howell III docked at the station. After receiving a full supply load, Howell departed for space station Kerbinport. Noting that the shipyard's receiving-end mass driver was still dependent on solar, I went ahead and ordered Ceri to begin construction of a Hodor 7 nuclear battery for the outpost; she completed that construction just this morning. Howell affected a successful rendezvous and docking with Kerbinport and after refueling, pilot Aldler Kerman along with tourists Malbo, Lizfred, Alfen, Sidbald and Sidmund Kerman boarded the tiny ship. Howell then departed on a 28-hour flight to Minmus.

Efforts to get pieces in place at the Bi-La Kaifa Shipyards over Duna in anticipation of the launch of LSV House Corrino continued after that. The Bill Clinton 7c grabber probe hauling Lutop's Scrap set a rendezvous with the station, as did Gilligan, which had departed LSV House Harkonnen in high Duna orbit on Thursday. The Enchova Central outpost on the surface finished its print of a G-LOC 7a return capsule, which scientist Wehrdas Kerman rode up into orbit before burning for a rendezvous with the shipyard. The Clinton arrived at the shipyard first, followed shortly thereafter by Gilligan.

VY9Huu5.png
Eh...sometimes you get pretty backlit screenies. Can't tell if this is one of them or not...

Upon docking, Bill and engineer Gemlorf Kerman joined station engineer Ardon Kerman and assisted with the final stages of the construction of House Corrino. The trio finished the construction, after which the vast majority of the station's available supplies were transferred to the new ship. The Christmas Tree 7 nuclear battery was then powered up alongside Corrino's exotic matter generator and, as hoped, the Tree provided sufficient electrical charge for the process. Corrino remained in dock while the XM tank filled up, a process that took just over four hours; while it was ongoing, the G-LOC arrived and affected a safe docking at the station.

rKcv80D.png
Anybody got any ideas where I can park this thing?

Part count was getting pretty intense by that point; rather than let my box melt, I ended things for the day at that point and finished Corrino's refueling on Saturday. Enchova Central then sent up additional supplies to the shipyard, depleting its own supplies of Xenon Gas, Rocket Parts, and general fuel in the process; new supplies are being prepared at this point. All preparations completed, Corrino was finally cleared for launch.

eZOxbqb.png
No doubt a glorious day for the victors of the Butlerian Jihad.

Now, I'll admit to some shenanigans at this point - at launch, Corrino left with the entire available supply of monopropellant, which I didn't discover until Gilligan departed the station to try to dock with Corrino. A revert fixed that, but on the next launch Corrino again hogged all the monoprop - this second time, I simply let the warp ship leave physics range and transferred it back via the ship's mass driver. Other shenanigans forced me to revert this second launch as well.

h8r6prf.png
What you're seeing is the Clinton. That bit floating off is the part that would've allowed it to dock with Corrino, and the fact that the heat shield is fully deployed and blocking the engines is definitely no good...

So on the third try (which was Sunday), I made sure to set up the drydock such that most of the monoprop stayed aboard the shipyard. Corrino launched again, and then Gilligan, the Clinton and G-LOC all affected separate docking maneuvers with the new warp ship. One final mishap was the fact that I'd left Bill and Gemlorf aboard the shipyard when both Corrino and Gilligan departed, so it was necessary for the two of them to jetpack over to Corrino. But with everything finally the way it needed to be, Corrino activated her conventional drives and burned into a 175x100 kilometer equatorial orbit. Upon reaching 165,000 meters over Duna this morning, the conventional drives were secured, the Alcubierre Drive activated and the ship warped into a 245x110 kilometer, 4.3-degree orbit over Ike, where she began construction of the TBD 7dG base-seeding lander destined for the surface of Gilly. Bill and Gemlorf will have the job done in 23 hours but will need some support from the Scan Queen outpost on the surface to complete the job. In the meantime, the Spamcan 7a lander docked at space station Ikeport was dispatched to Corrino so that Wehrdas along with pilot Lutop Kerman could visit the surface and plant flags, ensuring a higher level of experience when the two of them finally do make it back to Kerbin to fulfill their respective rescue contracts. Rendezvous with Corrino will take about three more hours. Necessary Evil returned from her trip to Minmus shortly thereafter and aerobraked into a 250x45 equatorial sub-orbital trajectory; maneuvers to take her to Kerbinport will commence within the hour. Finally, Ceri finished up the Hodor at Dystopia Planitia, the new battery was docked, and Enriched Uranium for the reactors was sent up from South Base via mass driver. I believe DP is the last of my orbital stations to make the switch from solar to nuclear; the newer stations all have it integrated into the design at this point.

So today, the plan is to get Necessary Evil to Kerbinport and then send her on her way to Mun. The Gilly crew will do flag-planting training out there to gain experience and a couple of tourists want to go along for a visit. I also plan to get Lutop and Wehrdas down to the surface of Ike. Already know i'm going to have a truncated day today, so I'll be lucky if I even get all of that done. Need to start my go/no-go for 1.7 too; guessing that may not happen today, but soon.

So I took my airport lift and put it on all-terrain suspension, with a solid front axle and bogie rear suspension. Just in case you happen to build your airport in really rough terrain. You never know, it could happen. 

Also features blinking lights. Remember that it's unsafe to operate heavy machinery with the lights off.

https://kerbalx.com/Brikoleur/LIFTMECH-AT

quzc7hB.png

PgAg7jm.png

b3p30v2.png

I made a tilt-jet VTOL.  It works OK but certainly has no looks worth mentioning.

ly2IXOO.jpg

1 hour ago, RealKerbal3x said:

The Action Sets introduced in 1.7.1 were really handy for this...the way I have it set up, I'll be able to switch the rotation controls from the craft to the arm, and use it to manipulate stuff without spinning my shuttle/space station around.

That whole Action Sets thing is something I could use a tutorial on ;).

Edited by Geschosskopf

2 hours ago, Noir said:

Not sure if this is what you are after, but I managed to create a makeshift leaf spring suspension.

This is exactly what I'm after! Other than, well, you know, actual springs. I'll ask for them in Suggestions but it's almost a shame if they do add them because not having an obvious thing like that will lead to creativity like this. Thank you!

My new career continued to advance.  I haven't done anything with robotics yet in my career since I haven't unlocked the controller yet.  I just today (after my KSP session) found out you don't need the controller if you set up the axis groups.  My career budget may be in the negative tomorrow.

My new science plane adapted well to switching from twin Junos to a single Wheesley once that was unlocked.   In fact, it became the first supersonic fixed-gear airplane I've ever built and completed 2 speed contracts and a 10km altitude contract on its maiden flight.  Jeb didn't even have to pull the emergency chute!

3KxOKRK.png?1

With the emergency chute mounted at the CoM, it's also useful for exploring steep mountain areas.  I was able to drop it on a mostly flat spot just above this monolith, walk the last ~150m, then walk back to the plane, roll down the hill for takeoff & return to KSC with no issues.

GsowVcF.png?1

After all those completed contracts, I was able to upgrade my astronaut complex & allow my career first EVA:

XCmEOp9.png?1

I also accomplished the first Mun soft landing in this career, pictured here scooping up some valuable science:

eDTCokz.png?1

The EVA's & Mun landing opened up new research and led to launching this target vehicle in preparation for the first docking of this career.  

Env49ul.png?1

Finished my LKO general purpose/lithium refuelling station.

Spoiler

Natasen oversees construction

93VhwyW.jpg

Almost completed, with the Orpheus dedicated rescue ship in dock
M5jLlZM.png

done
IVfDh5M.jpg

Also tested a planetary base system on Minmus, which had to be aborted almost immediately because I had no way to start up the habs or agroponics system.

Spoiler

Inbound for landing

dYmyeMU.jpg

Crew arrives...

e0N5e2k.jpg

...and leaves a few hours later

JEYQQr8.jpg

loving Spectra's terrain textures, wish they appeared more often.

@Noir I built your leaf-spring contraption and it does work as advertised. Sadly there are no unsprung wheels that don't explode at a glance of blue eyes so I don't know how much practical use the suspension setup is. Still similar methods could be used for other applications. This was very educational, thank you!

It's not from today (well, technically, it is - the video got ready after midnight! :P ).

This is my first attempt on Breaking Ground. Since I had previous experience with Infernal Robotics, my learning curve was somewhat fast.

And let me tell you, dudes… The KAL-1000 alone worths the whole DLC price. For a mile! :D 

Hey, I got the springs figured out. It's almost as good as real springs and pretty simple. Thanks @Noir for pointing me in the right direction.

All you need to do is leave the motors enabled at a low power on any actuators. I made a fully functioning rocker bogie suspension which keeps the payload upright. It's tunable while driving too since I can adjust the torque and damping of all of the motors via axes. I think the only real difference with springs is that the force applied is constant until the target has been reached, whereas springs apply more force the further you get from the centre.

It's still probably not the best choice of suspension setup for top-heavy loads -- I wouldn't want to use it with the airport lifter for example, it'd be super unsteady -- but if your CoM is low it just floats over obstacles like magic. 

5 hours ago, Noir said:

Not sure if this is what you are after, but I managed to create a makeshift leaf spring suspension.

ZknqmzZ.png

fSHnV9e.png

An alligator hinge is connected to a G-00 hinge, which is than repeated on the other side. On one of the G-00 hinges is a cubic strut which the wheel sits on. The G-00 hinge that the centre cubic strut is not connected to, is strutted together with a normal strut connector. This image may help. Keeping the motors turned on, but with a very low output, means the hinge will want to return to it's target angle, which in turn creates a suspension/springy like result. It's not a best, and the numbers need tweaking, but it works.

Dood...

You is COOL!

:D

I'm testing out my new flying boat. Here's Bill out on the wing sunbathing making sure the engine hasn't fallen off.

fNYi6Nw.jpg

4 minutes ago, Torn4dO said:

I also started working on a litle tripod, I really love the design but it doesn't have much power.

D3p8YPP.png

Now to get it to walk...

That tripod looks fantastic, like something out of a retro sci-fi show. This DLC really is letting some cool things get built. 

@Brikoleur

Forgot to mention, leaf spring in real life isn't the best type of suspension. It's normally used in older cars, pickups/utes, and trailers. Since it's very flat, it works well for vehicles with a back tray.

From my own testing, any weight on top of the suspension will cause the wheels to freak out in Kerbal fashion. Adjusting the spring strength and dampening of the wheels can fix this, however, since stock wheels aren't the best, not much can be done. Using the leaf spring only in the front or back of the rover may help, emulating real life modern uses of the suspension.

This suspension may work great for a light trophy truck, as it can take jumps really well. Might also be good at high speed off-roading with aircraft wheels. Although it'll need a wider wheel base.

I've uploaded a copy onto KerbalX if anyone is interested. Hopefully someone can use this to design a better system.
KerbalX Link

Well, I had a chance at some extra KSP time tonight.  I still haven't messed with robotics in career, but I did send up a Mk 2 pod to dock with the JTV already in orbit.   (JTV = Jabbit Target Vehicle, named after the launcher that put it in orbit)

Jeb approaching the JTV:

r8BPyJ9.png?1

And docked:

ATFGk2m.png?1

I've been limited to 30 parts still, so docking was vital for further career progression until the VAB gets upgraded.  Sending 2 craft to the Mun let Jeb & Kelrik dock with a lander and perform a pinpoint landing at an anomaly while having plenty of dV & room for multiple science experiments.

Spoiler

QjD992p.png?1

These offroad suspensions are cool. Tunable with axes, too!

The rocker bogie is wack but I don't think I'd want to use it in a real mission unless the payload was really low CoM, it gets pretty wobbly easily. The most all-around practical one is a plain solid-axle suspension, with bogies for the rear wheels if it's a six-wheeler. These are also mechanically super simple, the four-wheel version only needs one servo. It does flow over bumps really prettily, now all we need is some bumps on some planets and we're golden.

So far the best tuning values that have worked for me (using the smallest servos and ruggedised wheels) is maximum traversal, torque between 10 and 20%, damping between 0 and 50%. At zero torque it sticks to the ground when crawling but is all over the place when you build speed...

FrdnnLC.png

I also tried making a monster truck with the biggest rover wheels. It drove about like you'd expect a monster truck to drive, i.e. not well. The big wheels have really bad traction too...

Edited by Guest

I was enthralled last night as one of my orbital tugs returned from a mission, but I was low on fuel so I had to use the backup Ion drive rather than the main engines. Effective but dull - especially when timewarp >x2 caused the engines to stop working. (note it is shown with 2 of my docking assist tugs docked. The idea is this is a puller tug for pulling things around the Kerbin system and I normally ship it with 2 smaller tugs attached that I use for docking other vessels to this. That way my other vessels usually just need a couple of docking ports and at most a few RCS thrusters rather than a full control system)

s1tb0iv.png

Then I had a disastrous time with my asteroid capture mission. 

evJORNb.png

It started the mission with over 5kmps of dV and arrived at the asteroid with < 40mps. Which would have been enough if I could have got the blessed claw to grapple. I've never had an issue with this before on my other missions, but last night it would just not work. The issue I think was getting to a flat enough part of the asteroid. Which would have been easy had I not designed this ship (a couple of months ago now)* before I understood how to use the vernor engines properly. I discovered at the wrong end of empty fuel tanks that it was completely uncontrollable.

MkII now designed with even bigger fuel/ore tanks, fixed vernor placement and a new tug to go with it. Now I have a few days of mining work to replenish the orbital fuel tanks and I can launch a rescue mission.

* It took a couple of months to use it as I needed to get my LKO refuelling system up to spec where it could refuel this beast. Now I have that and a depot at Minmas I should be able to do this much quicker second time around.