What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

54 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

Does it really walk? Maintaining balance on that Martian monster has to be difficult...!

Actual he only can turn his head a little bit and make one Step. If the second leg is moving, he wants to lie down... Is really tricky to create a good walking cycle with 3 legs... I will keep trying ;)

Edited by KnutG

4 hours ago, KnutG said:

Tripod... :0.0:

I imagine that's probably really susceptible to Kerbin's microorganisms...though since the only buildings on Kerbin are at the KSC and the planet is a lot smaller, I imagine they'll have an easier conquest before they all croak...

EDIT: I suppose there are a few at KSC 2...forgot about those.

Edited by capi3101

15 minutes ago, capi3101 said:

I imagine that's probably really susceptible to Kerbin's microorganisms...though since the only buildings on Kerbin are at the KSC and the planet is a lot smaller, I imagine they'll have an easier conquest before they all croak...

Nice reference. Cheers

After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, and several dozen fatal accidents, I finally made an ultralight autogyro that not only works but is fun to fly :)

uFshYuA.jpg

I like it so much I uploaded it.  If you're interested, you can find it over in the Spacecraft Exchange, along with complete instructions.

[1.6.1/RO] No screenshot due to steam being annoying.

Jeb the crazy devil volunteered for the first manned launch to space. His capsule was a reused plane cockpit, his heatshield an old fuel tank filled with lead ballast. Would you strap yourself into that? Well luckily Jeb is made of sterner stuff.

I'm happy to say the mission was a complete success. Jeb launched smoothly from Kennedy Space Centre and flew over Florida reaching an apogee of 252 km. He sent numerous reports back for the boys in R&D. Descent was a little bumpy, Jeb passed out due to the extreme forces and his "heatshield" exploded. His drogue chute tore off almost immediately upon deployment. Luckily the deceleration was blunted sufficiently and his main chute opened at 3km without a hitch. Jeb splashed down in the Gulf of Mexico at 3 m/s and was recovered.

getting-ready-to-record.png?w=1132&h=

Historic mission

Kerbals also get tired :confused:

tired.png?w=1316&h=

Edited by Guest
Apollo 11 reference... Look at what page it is

Still early in my Breaking Ground career.  Built an early-career science plane that I'm pretty proud of because it looks kind of cool.  Taking it to the south pole for a contract and to deploy some of the new science stations while I'm at it.

BD9EqCE.jpg

[EDIT]: It took me more than an hour and a half to travel from KSC to the south pole in this thing.  *Shrug* Junos.  It also wants to nose-up slightly, which to be fair makes landing a little easier.  I need to drive it around on the ground to hit all the contract way points, but I'll do that tomorrow.

Edited by Fearless Son

On 6/5/2019 at 10:17 AM, Brikoleur said:

That's a very cool project @KerikBalm, please keep us updated.

My initial reaction is that if you're adding servos to the rotor powertrain assembly you're likely to end up with a less stable rotor -> more wobble, i.e. any stability you gain from a four-blade rotor will likely be canceled out by the wobble from the extra rotational servos. You never know until you try it though, if it works it'll look insanely cool when it unfolds.

Well, I tried many different ways of making a compact mk3 cargo bay deployable helicopter.

I abandoned the concept of blades on telescoping poles. It didn't perform any better than a shorter rotor. I made the 2x 4 -bladed contra rotating rotors work, and it flew ok, but it still seems to have a 20 m/s speed limit.

Its handling was ok, but it seemed to fly as well as my earlier 2x2 designs (without telescoping poles)

Speed limits seem to be due to the velocity of the blade and the angle, which is limited by the RPM and radius.

I'm now wondering if I should abandon the helicopter idea, and instead just try a compact plane, a tilt-rotor, or a compound helicopter.

My fixed wing aircraft have at least broken 60 m/s and approach 70... I've seen over 80, and I think some claiming around 120 m/s here on the forums

(1.6.1) For as much as I've done the last two days, you'd've thunk I'd've hit the F1 key a little bit more often. I do have some screenies today but they're crap. Can't say I've been building mechs or rotorcraft either...haven't even flown a rotorcraft for a few days now...

My day on Tuesday began with the arrival of a Spamcan 7a lander at space station Ikeport; the craft had picked up rescuees pilot Lutop Kerman and scientist Wehrdas Kerman from LSV House Corrino in high orbit and was in preparation to land them at the Scan Queen outpost on the surface. At Ikeport, the lander picked up fuel, then departed to carry out its intended mission. The two rescuees landed safely, planted flags and then punched their tickets to 3-star status with the outpost's habitat module, and after refueling there, the lander returned the pair to House Corrino before returning to its assigned moor at Ikeport. House Corrino then received a shot of supplies from Scan Queen via mass driver aimed at helping Bill and Engineer Gemlorf Kerman finish the construction of the TBD 7dG base-seeding craft destined for Gilly; the construction required the delivery of a load of Material Kits, which were sent from space station Dunaport aboard the Nostromo 7 resource lander docked there; the Nostromo stayed long enough for the TBD's construction to finish up, then headed on to dock at Ikeport. Another supply shot took place between Scan Queen and House Corrino, this time to fill the newly-constructed TBD full of monopropellant and Equipment. At this point, House Corrino is ready to commence its mission to deploy the TBD to Gilly, but first the craft is scheduled to warp back over to Duna to conduct a late rescue mission over there. She'll also be warping to Kerbin - her maiden interplanetary warp - to drop off a few of her rescuees before proceeding to Eve/Gilly.

While all that was going on, Necessary Evil arrived over Mun with pilot Gregald Kerman at the helm and tourists Magdard and Dergel Kerman aboard as well as pilot Melrie Kerman, scientists Siefen and Dumin Kerman and engineer Bartzor Kerman. The craft docked safely at space station Munport, at which point Melrie, Dumin and Bartzor (the Gilly crew) boarded the station's Spamcan 7a lander along with Magdard, who had a contract to visit the surface. The group punched their tickets; because Siefen upgraded to 4-star status, the decision was made to scrub his landing and make just a single surface excursion. The Spamcan landed in the Farside Crater safely and the Gilly crew each got out to plant flags before safely returning to Munport

iaXTtO3.png
Don't know why I took this very uninteresting screenie - it's just a 'can approaching a space station. Maybe it was something about the angle of the station highlighting the dual mass drivers...I don't know.

After the crew docked and transferred back to Necessary Evil, fuel supplies were loaded onto the ferry craft, she departed the station and burned to return to Kerbin; transit to periapsis took 7.5 hours, during which time T. Howell III arrived over Minmus with pilot Aldler Kerman at the helm, ferrying tourist Malbo Kerman and colonists Lizfred, Alfen, Sidbald and Sidmund Kerman. The craft rendezvoused with space station Minmusport without incident, but there was an incident at docking - I failed to pull in the craft's solar panels as she approached her assigned moor, and when they collided with a pair of the station's radiator panels and I was unable to back off, a panelpocalypse happened...

tBDxKSj.png
Too slow on the draw to catch it actually happening, unfortunately. Aftermath's clear enough though...

Minmusport lost all four of its radiator panels, which isn't a catastrophic loss - the only thing they'd really ever be needed for was to cool down the station's ISRU if I ever wanted to do fuel processing in orbit, which I've never really needed to do. All four of her solar panels are also intact though that's not a loss either necessarily since the station has SAFER reactors on her mass driver unit. The real damage was to T. Howell III - she lost both her solar panels, which unfortunately necessitated the hard decision to decommission the craft and order up a replacement at the Non Mentha Yards over Minmus so that Aldler and Malbo could get back to Kerbin safely. Construction began yesterday; Sulan will have the new craft ready to go in eleven hours. Meanwhile, the four colonists transferred to the station's Crater Maker 7 bulk passenger lander and its lower section delivered them safely to the Deepwater Horizon outpost on the surface, where they are scheduled to remain for the next seventeen days. While I was at the outpost, I had pilot Suly Kerman and scientist Lenbal Kerman print up a set of missing Castillo modules - specifically three walkways, an observatory, depot, factory and replacement launch pad. Engineer Janbles Kerman was able to deploy the Depot, walkways and launch pad; the observatory and factory are going to have to wait until the outpost can produce sufficient Konkrete to deploy them. In the meantime, supplies were shot up to Non Mentha to support its construction, Howell left Minmusport with Aldler and Malbo and maneuvered to dock at Non Mentha, and the Crater Maker returned safely to Minmusport.

With a contract to send colonists to the Enchova Central outpost on Duna, I next decided to send up an Auk IX 4-passenger spaceplane from KSC to space station Kerbinport. Colonists Wehrlock, Bobing, Fercas and Roslorf Kerman boarded the plane, which launched successfully and made its way to the station, docking safely.

hZuHzxU.png
Auk IX approaching Kerbinport, with Strange Cargo, Next Objective, India Princess and an Auk XVI 12-passenger plane all docked and visible. Station's busy at the moment...

The four colonists boarded Next Objective, while an existing batch of tourists boarded Strange Cargo, both currently moored at the station; once Necessary Evil arrives back at Kerbinport, both of the other ferries will be heading over to LSV House Atreides currently in high Kerbin orbit. Atreides will then warp over to Duna to drop off the colonists and do some other shenanigans there before moving on to the real stop on the tour, Eve. Got five tourists that want to visit the surface there. Still no idea how I'm going to go about doing that - looking forward to the challenge, though.

Today, I'll be bringing Necessary Evil into the dock at Kerbinport, landing the Auk IX (still have reason to keep the Auk XVI docked at Kerbinport for now), probably commissioning J.G. Backus and recycling T. Howell III. I might also be able to sneak in House Corrino's warp to Duna, and I'd like to begin printing up a Hodor 7 nuclear battery for Non Mentha; apparently it was also still running on solar power, despite what I thought about having all my bases switched to nuclear already a few days ago. Hoping to be able to get the Gilly crew to their destination soon as well. Still considering whether or not I want to warp Corrino directly there (doable though tricky - I've tried it many versions ago with MSV Fat Man, which didn't have a conventional drive to take that last 80 m/s off the speed I needed to get into orbit) or take the slow route with the ship's conventional drive. Not sure I can actually do the latter - going to depend a lot on the distribution of mass. I won't be landing the craft just yet in any event - not until I've got the contract to do so. Hopefully soon.

11 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

@Triop how are you getting around the "only one parent" problem with that thing?

Good question, that was the hardest part to solve.

The main rotor is the parent part, I only needed a couple of struts to stich up some parts.

Building this wasn't easy, installing the piston right was the hardest part.

It's almost done, ready to go on KerbalX.

pz2sF6Y.png

Well, I tried and failed to make practical tilt rotor m3 cargobay craft. Im getting painfully close though.

If blade pitch is high, I get over 80 m/s forward velocity, but it will not lift off vertically. I lowered it slightly, and it would vtol and hit 70 m/s, but i still found flight duration to be impractically short (not using fuel cells)

I tried using control surfaces and a deploy/retract action group, but they behave funny during the rotation, and it doesn't work right. 

I guess I will stick to rocket and jet tilt engine VTOLs, and stable high speed rovers (using robotics to widen their track after deploying from the cargo bay)

Helis and tilt rotors will remain a novelty of kerbin in my game for now... Nothing is ready for off world deployment

3 hours ago, Tapeta said:

It is nice sunny day and you are walking towards Astronaut Complex,

when suddenly you hear weird sound

flip flap flappity flappity flip

something is approaching

The forum rules prevent me from posting my initial reaction to this monstrosity contraption thing. Two words, improper phrase, first word an article, second word capable of use as a noun, verb, adjective (in gerund form) and interjection depending on context (granted, several words fit this description and y'all are welcome to pick one).

What do you even call that type of craft?

Edited by capi3101