What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

It's raining here today and too cold to open the Lab SPH doors; so I've been rummaging around through some old stock and came across Cavscout74's Dash-8...

My hat off to @Cavscout74 -- I am always impressed/inspired by his work.

So I gave it a stretch and reworked the tail.  I don't usually have the patience (or imagination) to work with RL, but I'm happy with this: the Dash 8K.

9dckqX4.png

It cruises 545 m/s @ 7.5km drawing 0.14 k/s.

With a 4-cabin Mk1 meTro (1-engine) and an 8-cabin Mk1 Trident (3 engines), Dash 8K slots right into my Mk1 Wheesley fleet.

Edited by Hotel26

Subs are haaaard :whaa:

I just got to the point where I have a sub that's neutrally balanced and just a hair denser than water. It can surface while under power, unpowered it gradually sinks. If I emptied one of the ballast tanks just a little it'd be the other way around.

Problem is it's heavy, the Super Kestrel is really struggling with it. I think I'll switch to the Super Kadzook which has more lifting power, and maybe stick it on a dolly that can drive it down the ramp so I don't have to mess with these upside-down bays which are finicky to iterate on.

WiM-13 is the latest in the "World is Mine" series of mining-related vehicles. Here it is mining and refining near Hope Base 1 on Minmus.

UD5ukt9.png

Refueling the Negi Maru used to take several trips from Minmus. Now it only takes one - and it still has a lot of fuel to spare!

teznFD9.png

Edited by Pipcard

Working this morning on a laythe SSTO space 'plane' to fit in a Mk3 cargo bay

nWqpFWy.jpg

While I understand that this thing technically should be balanced and appropriately symmetrical, the fact that it flies and doesn't spin out of control hurts my intuition

But it does take off!

BAIJPXQ.jpg

And fly! - reasonably well while it still has more than about 300 LF left

rJb1PTY.jpg

(that's the prettiest screenshot I've ever taken in KSP)

I have no idea how to get it to space tho

bQr46Ey.jpg

So I just flew it around til low fuel to test the handling while near-empty (it's shocking, but theoretically I'll be in space by that point anyway)

pXoX4Jq.jpg

And finally landed - a bit heavy, because I broke half my parachutes while testing the gear on the launchpad, but intact

5WHFbIg.jpg

So... does anyone know how to get SSTOs to space?

I've always been into making things you're not really meant to in KSP, from Aircraft carriers to propeller cars (as in, a failed plane :P). So I am very excited to play around with the robotics as movable parts have been on my wanted list for a long time! I've just got back into KSP so I thought I'd see what is what.

My first creation, like many I am sure, was a snake:

GGF5q0ch.jpg

I made a adjustable wing plane. The hinge functioned as intended but did not appear to reduce drag (no change in airspeed).

sx9Sbxk.gif

The hinge is very floppy - perhaps a more robust one is unlocked later. "Don't worry, that's probably supposed to happen" - Jeb, probably.

hXL9RO8.gif

Next I made another propeller car. I was both proud and disappointed that my own jet based propeller (turbo prop?) car was faster!

ZekSC1O.gif

I added more propellers. With them all turning clockwise, I torque steered around in a circle. With two turning anticlockwise (and the blade angle reversed) I didn't move at all... hmm..

Next I thought I would make a bird. Looks cool, doesn't work. If there are any aviators from the 1700s on here, I feel your pain!

YDDHitr.gif

I wonder if a thread for crazy robotic creations is a good idea?

Edit - new idea! Making a rowing boat!

Edited by Stewcumber

My first *useful* attempt at using the new robotic parts is a construction crane for assembling surfaces bases. Stowed, it fits snugly in a 3.75m fairing and the wheels can rotate, allowing it to crabwalk left and right to line the part up just right. After several hours of fine tuning, I've gotten to where my Crab merely teases the Kraken rather than outright summoning it.

EafucbN.jpg

I just got the expansion, and after a few failed attempts at making a corkscrew-driven submarine, I gave up on the water physics and went for seeing how much torque those large rotors can give over land. In the process I had to, ahem, reinvent the wheel a little. Did you know the small hardpoints have a crash tolerance of 80m/s? And have a collider quite amenable to serving as an eighth of a tyre? I do now.

Some more screenshots, I just went for seeing how much junk I could throw on there, it has all the science stuff and can cruise for ages at 40m/s, or more with the jets if you're feeling risky.

rGm9CxK.png

gEWhcDQ.png

X94gGpc.png

knmY3p7.png

fQ9YVDg.png

In terms of handling you can just let it rip, I must see what its 0-60 time is. Steering is mostly handled by going fast and using the reaction wheels, intermittent friction and airbrakes set for yaw control. Not great at parallel parking but we'll get to that. Suspension is the simplest thing I could think of that'd do the job of maintaining a smooth ride, works really well actually.

Edited by Loskene

Well, the day before yesterday I saw this interesting airplane from @Triop and decided to give it a try.

Spoiler

The thing flies well, but it lacks some manoeuvrability. So I reworked it a bit, stretching a bit the tail and added a regular three stabilizers one and came to this:

Well…  Still hard to maneuver. I think I need switch my keyboard, perhaps? :D 

14 hours ago, Puggonaut said:

Built by this guy . Modded by me slightly .

I'm at my "Like" limit, but I had to say, wow! 

if i saw that coming at my KSC I'd poop myself XD

14 minutes ago, Xurkitree said:

I stranded myself on the mun . . .  in 0.17

Yes, 0.17, not 1.7

THAT my friend, was epic! :-)

obligatory mention:

Rju2OHRFzRByTmtdxC1gAkwwnQSJYobVnqqfoo27

I put my 1st rover on Minmus in my years, it previously having been an exercise in futility.  Say what you will about the state of wheels since Unity 5 or whatever made the big changes, they at least work better on Minmus now.

ivFlizz.jpg

But, once the crew got home, I realized I should probably have done the "take data" thing on the robot arm because I didn't come home with that experiment and the associated contract did not complete .... :mad: