What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I finally uploaded the first of my entries into the Breaking Ground Walker Speed Challenge to KerbalX.

I call it Forrest, after Forrest Gump, because it is slow...  It is a part of a new design paradigm we here at K.R.A.S.S.H. Industries (Klaupaucius Reliable Air, Space, Sea & Hardware) call SL.I.P.  (SLow, Inefficient, Pointless).

Edited by Klapaucius

6 hours ago, Zaphod12 said:

For my very first time, I've actually managed to send robotic orbiters to Jool and Sarnus (OPM mod) and also perform flybys of some of their moons.

Too bad I didn't know at that time how to improve my signal strength (I have a relay near Dres, but even that one was barely enough for Sarnus), preventing me from sending two more to Urlum and Neidon but hey, maybe in the future (Fuel is another issue, so yea)

Big relays in highly eccentric polar orbits at everywhere from Eve on out help a lot, along with jacking the DSN strength up to like 5x.  But that was early days.  Now, I see OPM includes stuff to talk that far without having to mess with DSN strength.  Still, I'd recommend the biggest relays you can get at everything from Eve on out and maybe a few spots in between, just to provide some redundant paths and to make sure all signals are as strong as possible.

4 hours ago, Levelord said:

Made a simple science exploration rover today.

Understatement of the year so far :D.  Very nice!

2 hours ago, DRAG0Nmon said:

I designed a rocket capable of taking a 20 ton lander to the Mun. It ended up having over 10,000 Delta V with the payload. Oh well, guess I'll have to try again. . .

Well you could send it to Eeloo and back 

59 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Well you could send it to Eeloo and back

Yeah, but I'm trying not to go to somewhere like Jool or Eeloo yet, it the save the rocket is in I haven't been out of Kerbin's SOI

I installed Scatterer, then I didn't accomplish much after that because I was too busy staring at my monitor....

Val was so impressed with the sunrise over the ocean, she took a jet up to get a better look

XCltIkK.png?1

Then Jeb was sent on his (hopefully) last punishment mission, to investigate an anomaly near the Mun's south pole.  Launching from KSC at dawn:

Mocoup9.png?1

Jeb's Folly in orbit with Mun transfer stage

OKzRkKj.png?1

Approaching Mun - Jeb didn't bother with an actual orbit, he went straight to a landing:

hAFe25X.png?1

Landing at & investigating the anomaly - too bad it was at night

Spoiler

X1TZ2dD.png?1

TpPJXTy.png?1

After a quick survey, Jeb headed for home - both supplies & fuel were in short supply

KYuKQy7.png?1

But he made it against all odds..  Reentry was also at night & didn't get me any pretty screenshots.  This was about the last view before it got dark

sGcRaqH.png?1

2 hours ago, FezCool said:

Is that a marvel reference??!!??!

I don't know!? was i unintentionally witty >_<? 

Today I made a multipurpose flat-pack rover to fit into a mission I'm planning. ^_^ 

svszvd.png

With expandable wheelbase!

fgbtdbedx.png

Edited by Guest

Got one big step closer to my planned Voyager-style Grand Tour of the gas giants (Jool+OPM) today, as I successfully completed a Jool and Neidon flyby (And also a nice flyby of it's moon Thatmo) with a single probe. The comms issue also has been resolved with that OPM addition, even though the signal still is at merely 2% at Neidon (Better than 2% at Sarnus though). Seeing that I am getting familiar with the flyby mechanics and planetary alignments, I'm pretty pleased with this so far.

Spoiler

screenshot149.png

screenshot154.png

screenshot171.png

screenshot178.png

screenshot186.png

Some stats:

Jool: 
Periapsis: 2,182,911 m ; MET: T+ 1y, 52d, 02:07:27

Neidon: 
Periapsis: 16,509,917 m ; MET: T+ 6y, 347d, 04:38:19

Thatmo (Moon of Neidon): 
Periapsis: 500,315 m ; MET: T+ 6y, 347d, 05:36:16

I don't usually do planes in early career, but I guess that there is a first time for every thing : I present to you Explorer-1 :

CXU1Qrs.png

I'm not going to lie : this plane is bad, it doesn't have enough wing surface which makes its stalling speed very high which makes it nearly impossible to maneuver. Never the less it flew 2 flights landing on the shores and the high lands of Kerbin before being replaced by Explorer-2. With an expanded wink surface this new plane handles much better than its predecessor:kLIQjya.png

But back to rocketry: after the first orbit of kerbin it was time for the start of munar exploration: on Cook-3 Val orbited the Mun:|

pcUgeio.png

Spoiler

Liftoff:
m2xxT1g.png

That is the Mun:
ihwy3Ut.png

Close up and personal:

zFZmK4x.png

Coming home:vwV1P2F.png

Mission summary:

diOkOdA.png

And to finish of some shots of the second flight of Explorer-2 and the test of a ground station:
S6UUPBA.pngv82LpIA.png

The ground station's single solar panel didn't provide enough power for the Gob-eD monitor and the experiment control station so thats kinda useless.

(1.6.1) Had a moderately busy last couple of days. Kicked off my Friday by sending T. Howell III into the shipbreaker at the Non Mentha Yards over Minmus.

0RYEQWe.png
Lot easier to get into the drydock if you can fly in the space between things. Can't ever really tell when it's going to count as an "I hit it" or not...

Once the craft was recycled, its replacement craft J. G. Backus made a burn to return pilot Aldler Kerman and tourist Malbo Kerman to Kerbin; the craft will arrive at periapsis over kerbin in 34 hours. Meanwhile, the print of a Hodor 7 nuclear battery at Non Mentha commenced; installation of the unit at Non Mentha occurred on Saturday and after a mass driver shot of Enriched Uranium from the Deepwater Horizon outpost on the surface, the shipyard was able to switch over to nuclear power. 

Gilligan returned to LSV House Corrino in high orbit over Duna, having successfully picked up engineer Nelrim Kerman. Nelrim boarded pilot Lutop Kerman in Lutop's Scrap, which had been grabbed by a Bill Clinton 7c grabber probe and was docked to Corrino. Once Gilligan was secured and final checks completed, House Corrino conducted her first interplanetary warp, heading to Kerbin.

J3sICKI.png
Corrino encountered Ike on the way out; fortunately, she wasn't on a direct collision course. Got me a nice screenie out of it.

Owing to the fact that Duna and Kerbin are in close conjunction with one another at the moment, Corrino entered Kerbin's SOI at a mere 3.5 kps; two warp-backs later, she settled into a 547x327 kilometer, 0.9 degree orbit over Kerbin, at which point the Clinton was cut loose.

HkM3nVp.png
Got two rescue contracts riding on the successful recovery of this craft. I should probably get around to the actual atmospheric entry and landing of the thing...

After putting the Clinton into a 100 kilometer equatorial orbit, Corrino departed Kerbin for Eve. Unlike Duna, Eve was almost 180 degrees on the opposite side of Kerbol; the warp saw Corrino pass within 1.725 gigameters of the star, and she entered Eve's SOI at over 18 kps, so a more routine set of warp-backs were required to get her into orbit. She ultimately did enter a 902x836 kilometer, 1.57-degree orbit over the purple planet. With a final destination of Gilly in mind for Corrino, I went ahead and had Gilligan depart Corrino at that point; I figured I wouldn't be able to warp straight into orbit over Gilly without needing to use the conventional engines to kill off the last few hundred m/s, and didn't want to have to deal with the extra mass imbalance throwing things off. Once Gilligan was out of physics range, Corrino warped into a position to bleed off most of the rest of her speed over Eve. At 170 m/s, the relative velocity for Gilly started to creep upward and the final warp to take the ship took place, with the Alcubierre Drive set to 30% thrust limit once the ship was well clear of Eve. Upon arriving in Gilly's SOI, the Alcuiberre Drive was secured, the Poodles were lit and the ship made a conventional retrograde burn to put her finally into a 67x10 kilometer, 101-degree inclined orbit; corrective burns to put her into an equatorial orbit took place afterwards. 

JBNsKCx.png
House Corrino is not my first warp ship to visit Gilly, but she is the first one to successfully enter a stable orbit.

Before establishing herself in a final 10.9 x 10.0 kilometer, 0.34 degree low orbit, the GLOC 7a craft with scientist Wehrdas Kerman aboard departed Corrino and then turned around and re-docked, fulfilling part of my current exploration contract for Gilly (to dock to objects in orbit). Upon arrival in her final orbit, the TBD 7dG base-seeding lander was finally cut loose from the ship's drydock; currently the craft is unmanned, with the crew still sitting at space station Kerbinport. After deploying the lander, Corrino burned to get out of physics range of the lander, and then activated her warp drive to take the craft back to orbit over Eve.

Nrkll5N.png
Already out of Gilly's SOI but still close enough to see it, with Eve over there on the right.

Corrino conducted a set of warps to allow her to accelerate back up to a speed that would take her pretty close to the orbit of Gilligan; ultimately she settled into a 661 x 610, 1.35-degree orbit. Gilligan conducted burns for a rendezvous, which will take place a little under 1.5 hours from now. Once docked, Corrino is scheduled to return to Kerbin, where the GLOC craft is scheduled to depart and land. Lutop's Scrap also needs to land, and I need to figure out a way to land a goo study that Gilligan is currently hauling. Other than that and barring any replacement contracts, my whole program is now waiting for Backus to get to Kerbinport; the craft is still a few days out. I'm guessing I'll be warping ahead to that eventuality today once everything else is settled.

unknown.png

I made the first iteration of the KSS Porphyrion, a highly modular ship which in its current configuration is going to do a Sarnus 5 and come back. Fueled by Lithium and powered by an Excalibur reactor running 3 Magnetoplasma thrusters, it has 25 years of Life Support for 10 Kerbals, a Deep Freeze module for emergencies, 12 KM/S of DeltaV and a Cargo module containing a Closed Cycle Gas Core NTR powered heavy Slate/Tekto Lander and a Nuclear Electric Argon Lander.

Did I mention the hab module spins on a pair of collapsible centrifuge arms? Because it does, and I've been waiting for Breaking Ground to do exactly this.

BAK has completed the Kalypso, a modified BAK-68 built on commission for the famous oceanographer Kousteau Kerman!

https://kerbalx.com/Brikoleur/Kalypso

Taking off from KSC, on a mission to explore the deeps near Gilligan's Island:

HRX7WuS.png

Jeb has gently lowered her on the ocean surface:

xCKzmMo.png

Valentina is on her way!

3CTMtv2.png

BNopS7x.png

L1EhfhG.png

The most refined version of the NAVTLIVS design yet, her craft can reach 13 m/s underwater!

DnrRqgd.png

After a successful exploration mission, she is guiding the Navtilvs back to Kalypso:

d1OZZCI.png

Hooray! She has surfaced in the bay!

8d9QIYC.png

... allowing Jeb to deploy the bay guides positioning her precisely under the capture port, so he can then lower it to snag the sub, then raise it again to lift her fully into the bay:

43wkXJk.png

We are ready to go!

38oPQHY.png

o5rV5Kz.png

The crew of the Kalypso pose for a publicity photo after the successful mission:

jsGwWYX.png