What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Hi folks

My day in one picture:

VQovv2i.png

What?! That´s it. Half a baby step, from standstill to (maybe) start walking. I´m still learning how to use KAL1000 adequately. This sequence used maybe 55-60% of all the robotics on this thing. The walking loop - if possible - will probably make my brain go :confused:.

But that is for another day. Have fun.

@Brikoleur Hey man, sorry for not answering your suspension question. I´m not having much time for forum browsing or playing at the moment. Your submarine program looks amazingly fun. I´ll have to dive into that soon. ;) But man, submarines are tricky. Kudos to you, Sir.

Edit: Maybe I´ll have to redesign Mr Robotos feet. More traction would be good. Any ideas how to give the soles more grip guys?

Edited by KerrMü
2nd thought

Spent some time in my career getting ready for the approaching Jool & Duna transfer windows.  I also sent a mission to Mun to salvage some valuable equipment from the abandoned Mun outpost before destroying it.  I also had a VIP "Land on Mun" contract & a flag-planting contract to keep the mission funded.  Everything looks so much prettier with Scatterer now, makes it hard to get anything accompished.

On the pad, getting ready for a dawn launch to Mun:

ADUeazy.png?1

RN6O217.png?1

6WR9AXt.png?1

IIRC this is my Ike lander getting sent to orbit:

RVJuvTg.png?1

Finally, ended on a bad note - structural failure of the left decoupler when I staged the SRB's.  This was a fuel tanker intended to refuel both the landers & the Duna transfer vehicle.  Guess some redesign work is in order.

GvxJHWo.png?1

I got my bending aircraft uploaded to KerbalX (https://kerbalx.com/Klapaucius/Viktor-Bendable-Aircraft) and am now working on a new one. This is a flying centipede. Again, it works by bending the entire structure rather than using control surfaces. The problem here is keeping it from turning into a flying sine wave.  I think part of the problem is the engine on the back; I may try to move that.

TdUKvFt.png

OqOMz1R.png

Edited by Klapaucius

Y44, D288 - The currently-automated mining ship WiM-10 and the probe clusters known as Topaz-2 arrive in the Sarnus system (Outer Planets Mod)

G0x8xEz.png

In orbit around Ovok

oyCqwzx.png

Topaz-2a orbiter

1OBQ8k2.png

Topaz-2a lander

hbmdFSF.png

WiM-10 leaves the probe clusters docked in orbit

FcLlUpi.png

Mining for about 30 days, until Y44, D324

oRUSAfQ.png

I attempted to make a practical crane that I could use for surface base construction, or even loading and unloading payloads from a mk3 bay, and have said crant be deployable from a mk3 bay.

I don't think I succeeded:

First attempt, too flimsy and unstable to lift an orange tank:

7BOENnI.png

I made the main lifting hydraulics more stbale by using 3 strutted together telescoping parts, and attached 2 side extending side supports... it still wasn't enough:

a6x2Q5T.png

I reworked it, it clips into itself more than I'd ussually allow when its folded for transport:

75OVfyM.png

deployed:

plFSMpP.png

still wasn't stable enough, so I angled the stabilizing supports more, and beefed up the hydraulics... also at some point I halved the fuel load in the rockomax 64 tank, and halved to the ore load, to simulate lower gravity.

nUaXJ9c.png

This... sort of worked:

igz16Zu.png

V3I9yxN.png

but its so bendy that I don't think its usable... maybe on Mun or Minmus. I don't think it will be useable on Duna

17 hours ago, KerrMü said:

Hi folks

My day in one picture:

VQovv2i.png

What?! That´s it. Half a baby step, from standstill to (maybe) start walking. I´m still learning how to use KAL1000 adequately. This sequence used maybe 55-60% of all the robotics on this thing. The walking loop - if possible - will probably make my brain go :confused:.

But that is for another day. Have fun.

@Brikoleur Hey man, sorry for not answering your suspension question. I´m not having much time for forum browsing or playing at the moment. Your submarine program looks amazingly fun. I´ll have to dive into that soon. ;) But man, submarines are tricky. Kudos to you, Sir.

Edit: Maybe I´ll have to redesign Mr Robotos feet. More traction would be good. Any ideas how to give the soles more grip guys?

One small step for a mech... Looks very cool!

Today I continued on with Munar exploration: Cook-4 took Val to the surface of the mun:

WOiPFvZ.png

Spoiler

Liftoff:

edXjjel.png

Arriving at the Mun, with a nice Kerbin crescent:
WOiPFvZ.png

And landed, this was actually pretty hard:o I pretty out of shape:pwMN20b.png

As you can see Val tested out a new space suit, after that shot, as I had picked up a contract for returning a Mun ROC to Kerbin she scouted out for a few minutes to find one. I have to say that was really fun. R&D was also upgraded during this mission using the money provided by Strategia:

AZt9F4B.png

Then I returned home landing and the base of the mountains west of the KSC;FCYi0S2.png

To finish of my day I designed X-1, a VTOL attempt, sadly even using 4 Junos the thing doesn't have the TWR to get off the ground. I also picked up this contract:

AdjKqTj.png

Ramping up after restart. 
Minus base 
Y33TgNrh.png
In the back is the mining module. 
Other high tower is the habitation module, lab, greenhouse, 12 cabins and recreation area for kerbals. 
Also not only an bridge but an control center able to take over from the KSC one if needed. 
Long thing in center is an uranium processing plant and some other industrial stuff. 
Utility rover right of the living quarter and a science lander to the far right. 
To the far left, Mobile Munbase. 

In LEO, moonshadow gateway station 
aTTzR29h.png
Back part is 5 meter saturn 5, front is an fully expanded version of the Minmus base. 

I finally decided to finish a mission I had from ages ago. Album here: https://imgur.com/gallery/YmlPs6b

6qZTCVk.png

Landed on Rald (from Rald mod by Kerik Balm)

9hXIKKN.png

And then on Minmus

FKZhdxq.png

And then on the Mun...

A3z5UfC.png

And back on Kerbin.

Thus ends my Kerbin-4 Mission. I didn't do a write-up because I am BORED with this ship it is a RUBBISH aircraft which flies like a BRICK and I am NOT putting it on KerbalX even though it is an ISRU-equipped Minmus-capable SSTO. I have better SSTOs on KerbalX if you really want them.

16 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

I got my bending aircraft uploaded to KerbalX (https://kerbalx.com/Klapaucius/Viktor-Bendable-Aircraft) and am now working on a new one. This is a flying centipede. Again, it works by bending the entire structure rather than using control surfaces. The problem here is keeping it from turning into a flying sine wave.  I think part of the problem is the engine on the back; I may try to move that.

Might I suggest sticking Junos on each wingtip. The even distribution of thrust may solve the issue.

While not new to my works I will be flying to Duna. But the last time I did I had an uncrewed lander. But this time it will be! I have begun Expedition Duna. The third mission of Expedition Eeloo. I have finalized everything and soon will be ready to take off 

To satisfy a pair of VIP's & try to snag a Minmus greenstone, I built a Minmus lander with deployable rover.  This is really my first useful DLC design, even if it just put the rover on the ground.  I was supposed to test some MM patches I made to get the Wild Blue mods to work with USI-Life Support (adding Supplies to the list of storage types & adding USI greenhouse functions to the DSEV & MOLE greenhouses).  Then I got caught up in my pretty trip to Minmus......

Approach to landing:

SHZHx7X.png?1

Ready to start searching for greenstones:

by8mvPI.png?1

Burning for home:

nsgkVw2.png?1

Dawn reentry:

hbEsUHK.png?1

Almost home

SkWiQuY.png?1

Edited by Cavscout74

9 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

Eve? Laythe?

It has the legs to get to Laythe and would likely survive aerocapture, so it would probably work there. Eve would require a different delivery solution as it would certainly vaporise on hitting the atmosphere. 

However, development continues.

The challenge with the Kosmokopter was rotor stability. I solved it but at the cost of a major hit to lifting power. I want to see if I can make a rotor that is as stable as this one and has lifting power comparable to standard ones. If so, I will see if I can get it to work on Duna... in simulated missions. 

Edit: Yes! I have found the key to making reasonably efficient rotors that remain stable at hypersonic speeds... with a little bit of finesse at least. This opens a raft of possibilities...

Edited by Guest

Y44, D328 - arrival of the WiM-10 miner and Topaz-2 probe cluster at Hale (moon of Sarnus in the Outer Planets Mod)

kBFa35k.png

Topaz-2b lander

4LbsXZ4.png

Y44, D332 - Entering orbit over Eeloo (which was moved in this mod)

AUYKcr7.png

Topaz-2c lander near the north pole

HntyRjw.png

Today? Well last night really I built a small drone using mainly 0.625 parts to grapple with recovery targets then fire some solids to de-orbit & parachute the module safely to splash down. The drone consisted of a probe core, a small mono tank, battery grapple, solar panels, drogue/Main chutes and 4 SRBs (Procedural Parts). Weight was about 2000 KG Launch Vehicle was 1.25m parts, after a couple of small tweaks I found it easier to use for rescues/recoveries than using a crewed vehicle.