What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

@NeoFatalis

nice visual mods *_*!

Today I made a more concrete plan to begin moving forward with my Mun mission (while in class lol)

Step one: Figure out where the in situ resources are!

r6ur5dry.png

Edited by Guest

I'm refining helicopters in the BAK-9000 series, capable of making orbit and flying to another celestial body with an atmosphere. The main challenge was creating a rotor that was stable and heat resistant enough to make the trip, while having reasonable lifting efficiency. I finally managed that, and further refined it in an experimental craft I designed to go as fast as possible without jet assist. I eventually made a pure (non jet-assisted) helicopter capable of flying reasonably stably at over 100 m/s, while retaining decent slow-speed and hover characteristics (at half torque, hovering at full power the blades want to fly off the rotors). It's not the best-handling chopper I've made but then driving a race car will shake the fillings out of your teeth too.

https://kerbalx.com/Brikoleur/BAK-900X-Kerwood

YGu3cCP.jpg

MJ3v11G.png

No pics today, I'm afraid. But my testing for the scheme I'm calling 'Death to the Green Button' has almost reached its end. My plan is, when a capsule splashes down in the ocean, I'll dispatch one of my two recovery airships (UKS Led Zeppelin or UKS Black Sabbath, depending on where the capsule landed) to pick it up and bring it back to base.

What I tested this afternoon was the airships' capability to pick a dummy capsule up with a KAS winch, dock it to a port inside their cargo bays, fly to a destination, and lower the capsule back down. The test went almost perfectly, but Isaac Newton decided to make my life a little harder with his third law. Basically, KAS winches are pretty strong, so as the winch pulled the capsule up, it also slowly pulled the airship down. The workaround is to set the airship to have slightly positive buoyancy, so that it's not dragged into the ground by the winch. 

The "Model Y" high-efficiency, high-stability rotor works! I did a simulated run in the Kosmokopter 9001D-X to Duna -- consoled my way to orbit, didn't fly there -- and the chopper performs perfectly! Well... almost perfectly, it has rather too much power on tap so I think I'll need to tune that down somewhat, she's also missing some convenience features such as ladders, and so on and so forth. In the simulated mission, Val and Jeb executed a perfect atmospheric entry, followed by some flight tests in the lower atmosphere -- hovering is quite easy! -- and finally a soft touchdown, in fact the easiest Duna landing I've ever made!

5yi0lJU.png

HyJ5Xn7.png

7nNEMN7.png

You may notice that I've shed the RAPIERs that got her out of Kerbin. They're no use on Duna as she has sufficient TWR from the NERVs to reach orbit so there's no point hauling them all the way there.

A planned Laythe version does the opposite, sheds the atomics once there, while keeping the RAPIERs that will get her in and out of orbit. That'll be a one-way trip though as she won't have the legs to make it back from the Jolian system.

Since the 1.7.1 version of Kopernicus came out I've been playing a new career in JNSQ. There's something really satisfying about designing missions with early tech.

The 3-stage Tailwind rocket is the first consistently used launcher I made after getting past sounding rockets. It uses a large SRM as the first stage as well as fins for stability since I didn't have the HECS probe core yet. The Tailwind is the main workhorse of my early robotic missions, having launched almost a dozen orbiters, impactors, and landers.

K4VAuLI.jpg

W9dOird.jpg

Beryl-7, Mun impactor mission.

0eA7Bjq.jpg

Beryl-11, tiny Minmus lander.

aUZXv1x.jpg

fvXPvk3.jpg

NKD86ys.jpg

Got OSE_Workshop up and running again. Think Kerbal attachment system but you can make parts on site. 
Yes its size and weight limits but rescued an kerbal in Minmus orbit. 
He came back with this setup attached to the MiEM in the background. 
Bolt stuff on the LEM in front and did an Kerbin deorbit burn. 
Yes he will do an Gargain jump of lack of fait in lander :) 
e4gURaxh.png

Edited by magnemoe

Last night I cheat landed a rocket boosted glider on Eve to test if it was a practical way to explore the purple world. Spoiler Alert: It isn't. You lose velocity too vast to get very far, even after burning 200 m/s of Delta-V. Then while lying in bed trying to sleep I remembered Breaking Ground included new parts that spin, and it occurred to me that these make electrical aircraft or boat propulsion possible. So I got out of bed and messed around with them for a bit. I got a few nuk powered toys off the ground, and discovered what kind of autostructing to use and not to use. I've been working on my second mobile base for Eve for the better part of a month, and now I think I'll either scrap it or send two; one to explore land, one to explore the seas. A fan boat hydroplane might work pretty well on Eve.

If anyone has pointer on turning the new rotors into propellers, feel free to reply with them.

On 6/10/2019 at 6:49 PM, KerrMü said:

Hi folks

My day in one picture:

VQovv2i.png

What?! That´s it. Half a baby step, from standstill to (maybe) start walking. I´m still learning how to use KAL1000 adequately. This sequence used maybe 55-60% of all the robotics on this thing. The walking loop - if possible - will probably make my brain go :confused:.

But that is for another day. Have fun.

@Brikoleur Hey man, sorry for not answering your suspension question. I´m not having much time for forum browsing or playing at the moment. Your submarine program looks amazingly fun. I´ll have to dive into that soon. ;) But man, submarines are tricky. Kudos to you, Sir.

Edit: Maybe I´ll have to redesign Mr Robotos feet. More traction would be good. Any ideas how to give the soles more grip guys?

How did you solve the icing problem?

On 6/10/2019 at 1:39 PM, Brikoleur said:

BAK has completed the Kalypso, a modified BAK-68 built on commission for the famous oceanographer Kousteau Kerman!

https://kerbalx.com/Brikoleur/Kalypso

Taking off from KSC, on a mission to explore the deeps near Gilligan's Island:

HRX7WuS.png

Jeb has gently lowered her on the ocean surface:

xCKzmMo.png

Valentina is on her way!

3CTMtv2.png

BNopS7x.png

L1EhfhG.png

The most refined version of the NAVTLIVS design yet, her craft can reach 13 m/s underwater!

DnrRqgd.png

After a successful exploration mission, she is guiding the Navtilvs back to Kalypso:

d1OZZCI.png

Hooray! She has surfaced in the bay!

8d9QIYC.png

... allowing Jeb to deploy the bay guides positioning her precisely under the capture port, so he can then lower it to snag the sub, then raise it again to lift her fully into the bay:

43wkXJk.png

We are ready to go!

38oPQHY.png

o5rV5Kz.png

The crew of the Kalypso pose for a publicity photo after the successful mission:

jsGwWYX.png

Counter rotating props? What did you send the spin rates to?

4 hours ago, Ahres said:

I’m blown away by these screenshots. What visuals mods am I looking at here?

A slightly modified version of Astronomers visual pack, KSPRC's ground textures, Planetshine, Real plume and Reshade :)

So I'm a little late to the helicopter party, but I wanted to at least get an idea how to make one myself before I started using some @Brikoleur's that are posted on KerbalX.   Against all odds, this little contraption flew the first time, landed on the VAB without blowing anything up the first time, can kinda hover (control is less than ideal at this time) and managed to land next to the flag pole without hitting anything.  So without further ado, I present the HTV-1 (Helicopter Test Vehicle -1).   Considering my expectations of fiery destruction & my career settings (ie kerbals can die), I opted for a drone-controlled design.   I'm still shocked none of the fiery destruction happened.  Maybe I just didn't fly long enough......

4LlfDVS.png?1

exefhCQ.png?1

ZAFq4sI.png?1

keXD1TN.png?1

KdTmWjX.png?1

I was so pleased with HTV-1, I went back & bolted on a command seat, rearranged solar panels & took a quick flight to the VAB helipad in HTV-1P:

EpwCX3F.png?1

Jeb approved

qw5OM0v.png?1

Edited by Cavscout74

3 hours ago, Zosma Procyon said:

Last night I cheat landed a rocket boosted glider on Eve to test if it was a practical way to explore the purple world. Spoiler Alert: It isn't. You lose velocity too vast to get very far, even after burning 200 m/s of Delta-V. Then while lying in bed trying to sleep I remembered Breaking Ground included new parts that spin, and it occurred to me that these make electrical aircraft or boat propulsion possible. So I got out of bed and messed around with them for a bit. I got a few nuk powered toys off the ground, and discovered what kind of autostructing to use and not to use. I've been working on my second mobile base for Eve for the better part of a month, and now I think I'll either scrap it or send two; one to explore land, one to explore the seas. A fan boat hydroplane might work pretty well on Eve.

I've been considering the possibility of using a tiltrotor design on Eve for a while now - and by a while, I mean before the Breaking Ground update opened the possibility to make one stock (there's a tiltrotor engine in the Buffalo mod). Curious to know how high and how fast such a design could go...and if it could transition to a practical spaceplane design.

t4GhXlC.png
I know my Echo Flyer has a service ceiling of 28,000 m on Eve. That's an eleven tonne craft. Electrically driven rotors rule...

I mean, you get between 12,500-15,000 m up in Eve's atmosphere and it's like flying at sea level on Kerbin. Between 40,000-50,000 up it's up like it is around 30,000 on Kerbin, where RAPIERs switch over. 50,000 is already halfway out of Eve's atmosphere. If you could get a tiltrotor plane going 1,500 up there on electric props, it'd only take 1500 - 2000 m/s or so delta-V to get it into orbit from there.

Just a thought. Would love to hear about some practical attempts...might have to make a few of my own...

13 minutes ago, capi3101 said:

I've been considering the possibility of using a tiltrotor design on Eve for a while now - and by a while, I mean before the Breaking Ground update opened the possibility to make one stock (there's a tiltrotor engine in the Buffalo mod). Curious to know how high and how fast such a design could go...and if it could transition to a practical spaceplane design.

t4GhXlC.png
I know my Echo Flyer has a service ceiling of 28,000 m on Eve. That's an eleven tonne craft. Electrically driven rotors rule...

I mean, you get between 12,500-15,000 m up in Eve's atmosphere and it's like flying at sea level on Kerbin. Between 40,000-50,000 up it's up like it is around 30,000 on Kerbin, where RAPIERs switch over. 50,000 is already halfway out of Eve's atmosphere. If you could get a tiltrotor plane going 1,500 up there on electric props, it'd only take 1500 - 2000 m/s or so delta-V to get it into orbit from there.

Just a thought. Would love to hear about some practical attempts...might have to make a few of my own...

When I explore a planet I do it with a mobile base with a pair of science labs and full sized converter.

I built the Estoc rocket to succeed the Tailwind. A modified version of the rocket I used for the first manned missions to LKO, it uses a hybrid first stage of solid rocket propulsion assisted by four vernier LFO engines for maneuvering, as well as four strap-on SRB's. The upper stage uses hydrolox fuel, so it is relatively large, low thrust and has a ton of dV.

UvjRTjD.jpg

FejJ9XO.jpg

laGJk4L.jpg

nafUt9y.jpg

Here it is carrying a relay constellation for the Mun.

tG3ITVV.jpg

FD5K421.jpg

MeEjN7W.jpg

Jeb and Valentina went up on missions Amelia-3 and Amelia-4 to perform the first docking maneuver and spacewalk. 

Ugvv2mj.jpg

kNTT2oR.jpg

2Sgih4p.jpg

On an unrelated note, the BSG OST is awesome for playing KSP, especially this song.

Congratulations @Cavscout74. One small step and all that commotion!

I think you will find that helicopter crashes are rarely fatal. At least unless and until you start building space helicopters...

(This is the completed version. I did a full trip from KSC to Duna surface and back to Duna orbit. Would need a refuel to do anything other than return to Duna surface. She has about a half an hour of endurance on batteries alone and packs a couple of solar panels to recharge them, so she could keep operating there indefinitely...)

https://kerbalx.com/Brikoleur/BAK-9001D-Super-Kosmokopter

AC7zflg.jpg

Edited by Guest

Y44, D339 - arrival of the WiM-10 miner and Topaz-2 probe cluster at Slate (Tylo-like moon of Sarnus in the Outer Planets Mod)

ErZhN6h.png

Topaz-2d lander

DNVPaN6.png

Y44, D356 - Tekto, a moon with a thick, green atmosphere

LPZVpWO.png

Topaz-2e lander

liWNW9i.png

Edited by Pipcard

Woo hoo, as of 1.7.2 the Mission Builder no longer hates my choppers. Gonna try the Lake Dive challenge later today.

In the meantime, I'm making a wee solar powered tilt-rotor. I have big plans for her...

VCa7ZSc.png

Edit: I just can't get over how much fun I'm having with Breaking Ground. It's like it was the missing piece, the one thing that KSP needed to pull it all together. Now Eve, Duna, and Laythe all have their unique twist on atmospheric craft -- Eve <3 solar power and rotorcraft, Laythe is for jets, and Duna is for atomics, all in different combinations.

Edited by Guest

39 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

Woo hoo, as of 1.7.2 the Mission Builder no longer hates my choppers.

Ah other people had that problem? I was thinking of making a post about not being able to start a mission with my tilt rotor craft for tests on eve... Awesome.

1.7.2 is out? does that mean waiting for a kopernicus update again? I didn't even use kopernicus in 1.7.1 (I was playing stock and unlocking the tech tree before scaling up and modifying the system... the early grind takes longer in my modded system)

12 hours ago, Zosma Procyon said:

Counter rotating props? What did you send the spin rates to?

I always run everything at max power and no RPM limit. If it looks like my rotors are going to over-spin, I make them a bit bigger (or reduce the power if indicated). Kalypso runs on a standard single-motor + freewheel setup so if I needed more lifting power I could double that.