What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today I designed...

Munar ground explorer 1!

rjtjtj.pngsrhsrhg.png

The lander frame itself has the ability to raise and lower to get the correct height to re-dock and refuel the rovers if needed. (the rovers are intended to explore a southern polar crater on the Mun which looks to be pretty shaded so they run off fuelcells) The lander can deploy two autonomous rovers (with expandable wheelbases and the ability to seat 1 Kerbal each if needed) and two ultralight recon probes with over 4k deltaV each, intended to scout for a suitable area to establish a future ground base/ IRSU facility. 

I'm still working out the details on the craft but it's basically ready to gooooo!

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Chris Hopkins said:

Daft question: Are those folding wheels stock? I've seen loads of people use them, but I can never find them. Or are they an IR thing?

They're a Making History part.

12 hours ago, Zosma Procyon said:

When I explore a planet I do it with a mobile base with a pair of science labs and full sized converter.

I use Pathfinder/Buffalo my own self. Having the ability to build new craft in situ is a real time saver, as is being able to expand a base's abilities as needed.

Project BAK-7000X Ikarus has reached another milestone. We have demonstrated in a simulated mission that the craft can survive atmospheric entry on Eve, using the "tumble wildly and pray" re-entry mode. She is capable of holding altitude at over 22 km, and cruising on Eve at over 50 m/s, and has indefinite daytime endurance. She is powered by four small electric motors, two of which can be switched off to conserve current early and late in the day.

KJ6EHCv.png

Work continues on refining her avionics, and we have yet to develop a delivery mechanism to get her into space and to Eve. Her own rocket propulsion (jettisoned on atmospheric entry) is good for just under 1900 m/s, so she needs another 1000 or so to get to Eve safely from LKO (she is not capable of surviving aerocapture from a Hohmann transfer orbit). And of course she needs a lifter to LKO. These numbers are likely to be slightly reduced once a science payload is added.

Since the 1.7.2 patch now allows us to customise the BG futuristic suit's LED strip colour, I colour coded my Kerbals by profession!

tLLMjXi.png

I'm going Star Trek TOS style with yellow for pilots, red for engineers (well, red-ish, I need to do some more tweaking on that one) and blue for scientists. I could have gone TNG-style and switched pilot and engineer colours around, but I kind of prefer the TOS scheme more.

Finally got OSE workshop up and running. 
So I made some part turning an MEM into an return craft. 
The workshop can make various small parts so I made all seen attached to the can and sent it back to kerbin.
e4gURaxh.png

Was a bit unsure about an spashdown so kerbal bailed out after craft parachute opened then landed and borded for recovery. 

Minmus science lander in background, it was it who took kerbal and parts up to the hulk. 

Edited by magnemoe

Duna Expedition/ Expedition Eeloo mission 3

It's complete my first crew trip to duna and back

I have finished it the Duna expedition is over. So here is a long post spoiler it's long

Spoiler

Aborts and beginning launch

So the first time I launched this it didn't go out that well. I had to abort it TWICE.

Here is when It actually works

To save space on my website... I didn't take any videos until undocking because of website space (https://maarlandersinnovation.wordpress.com/2019/06/13/for-the-first-time-ever-we-land-on-duna-do-a-spacewalk-and-return/)

Escape to landing

cruise-stage-went-out-of-control.png?w=1118&h=

So Here was the lander, spacecraft, and cruise stage. I had to sadly discard the cruise stage due to out of control strut failure

docked.png?w=1250&h=

The next part would to dock with the lander that was challenging since my game glitched and I couldn't transfer crew for docking

Then it was time to undock

Landing Phases

Here was the landing phases in order

This video was me deorbiting into the Midland sea

I then landed forgetting to record it and get photos :/

expedition-duna-has-landed.png?w=1052&h=

Speech:

whoo-hoo.png?w=1003&h=

Here was the first words of a kerbinaut of my agency on the surface

I then got base set up

base-camp-yay.png?w=1316&h=

I then set off for an adventure to find surface features!

blue-berries.png?w=1240&h=

Here was some blueberries

Then I went to find duna stone

Since I got two out of four I set back after picking up both surface features... I was going to plan to find all four... But... I tell you later

When I came back to the lander I found it on top of the Flag. Worried that it would drift off I decided to head home maybe some day i'll find the rest with a design like @Dale Christopher's. So I took off

Intersection

I had to wait with a mothership intersection so when the time came I...

After rendezvousing for two hours I got a dock

I transferred data and then left the lander to crash 

Funny Actually It said 11 M/S when I both docked...

Return to Kerbin

Unlike my last attempt... my return would only cost 340 m/s and circulization would cost 600 m/s

Sorry I actually meant the other way... I did cut off a little bit from the burn when I found out I could have got a better encounter with 200 m/s of fuel less.

Finally I got home. I was going to aerobrake since previous youtubers I've watch @Matt Lowne, @ShadowZone, and @Stratzenblitz75 have done so (All great channels I recommend.) But I decided a calm re-entry for the crew so I circulize and they land down at 3 Gs at most

What will I do next?

Duna Surface Studies mission

Ike Surface Studies mission

Expedition Dres (Crewed)

Sorry not sorry that this post is long

Edited by Guest
To make scroll bars have a say

4 hours ago, Dale Christopher said:

Today I designed...

Munar ground explorer 1!

rjtjtj.pngsrhsrhg.png

The lander frame itself has the ability to raise and lower to get the correct height to re-dock and refuel the rovers if needed. (the rovers are intended to explore a southern polar crater on the Mun which looks to be pretty shaded so they run off fuelcells) The lander can deploy two autonomous rovers (with expandable wheelbases and the ability to seat 1 Kerbal each if needed) and two ultralight recon probes with over 4k deltaV each, intended to scout for a suitable area to establish a future ground base/ IRSU facility. 

I'm still working out the details on the craft but it's basically ready to gooooo!

You are a genius. This is like... MINDBLOWING 

Today was just a few routine launches - again in preparation for the upcoming Duna & Jool windows.  I think I started launching stuff a little early, even with my self-imposed launch time restrictions - I've still got ~180 days till the Jool window & just shy of 200 till the Duna window.  Then I realized my VAB was a mess - craft files saved under 3 different naming conventions, often duplicates of essentially identical craft.  So I spent about an hour cleaning that up - boring but it was needed.  There are a few duplicates still, due to a botched MM patch I made to add USI-Life Support functions to another mod.  The botched patch caused the affected parts not to load and therefore any craft with those parts couldn't load.  Finally, I decided to tinker with some more helicopters after my surprising success last night.

Survey sat entering orbit in preparation for Duna transfer:

0CsxgXR.png

I also had a set of tourists to take to LKO & back.  They managed to catch a nice sunrise on their way back down:

IvHOtLN.png?1

First up was an attempt at an intermeshing rotor.  That didn't work.  The first & primary problem was the fact that while I remembered to reverse one of the motors direction, I DIDN"T remember to flip the blade around, so one set of blades was spinning backwards.   Also, the intermeshing things didn't work all that great - they would start turning good, then slow down suddenly, then speed up, etc.   On the plus side, all this happened on the ground rather than in the air, so no kerbals were harmed during this round of testing.

rdn0SKS.png?1

The intent was for something along the lines of a Flettner 282 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flettner_Fl_282).  Success has so far eluded me :(

Then I went back to my HTV-1P design & attempted some improvements.  My first discovery was that the improvements I had made last night didn't get saved.  After fixing that & attempting further improvements, Val took up the improved version for a night flight

zr1ICGW.png?1

And she managed to find the explosions & destruction I had been expecting last night - although it was survivable thanks to her indestructible helmet.

xLToUbV.png?1

Then I ended my session taking care of some "Gather science from...." contracts.  The Vorona satellite in Duna orbit also had a nice view while transmitting science back to KSC:

QeviCs7.png?1

Tested out my Construction Gantry. The idea is I would land parts for a Duna Colony (currently in Design Phase) and use the gantry to move them into place and connect them. Its using Infernal Robotics Next. There are 2 rails (for left/right, forward/back), 2 180° hinges, a 360° rotation, the arm extends and the legs extend. It's equipped with a Docking Port Jr, but there are the other sizes that can be swapped out by a Kerbal using KAS

OYjDB1D.png

4Rj0a7j.png

3lJMbsh.png

I went back to my career game which is still in the potato phase more or less. Puttering around happily with the new surface experiments ... on the launch pad. Seems I need one power unit per module, so the minimum setup is two power modules, a central module, and an experiment module, and if I want to transmit data back, a comms module?

1 hour ago, Brikoleur said:

and if I want to transmit data back, a comms module

The controller has a short ranged antenna built in, so from the pad or anywhere near KSC should be fine.  From Mun, you'll either need a relay close by or an comm unit, and another power unit to power the comm unit

Oh my, it's been a wild ride for this newbie today. I managed to get myself into orbit AND landed (safely, might I add) back on the home planet. Then I decided to go back into orbit again. And again. And finally I let Jebediah out for an EVA in high space. Great fun, marvelous learning experience for Jebbie… until he tried his jetpack. That did NOT go well. He still has no idea how, but as soon as he began playing with the thing he lost sight of his ship and he was not even able to spot it, let alone fly back to it. 

Thankfully I've learned from these forums and reddit and F5 and F9 saved him. Then -of course, as if he hadn't been through enough already- I managed to come in too steep and too fast for a safe reentry. Somehow I finally managed to get him back to Kerbin Waters. Enough adventure for the day!

9 hours ago, capi3101 said:

I use Pathfinder/Buffalo my own self. Having the ability to build new craft in situ is a real time saver, as is being able to expand a base's abilities as needed.

I try to use as few addons as possible. I have 4 and that is enough for me.

7 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Duna Expedition/ Expedition Eeloo mission 3 update

First Thank you @Stratzenblitz75 for the like I love your channel

Second I need to make a correction. There were a lot of typos and sorry about that.

So here is the main reason... I have made editings

rover-online.png?w=1091&h=

I sent a dres rover to study landing sites before sending stuff there and my Ike and Duna missions will come eventually.

Here is the updated list

Officially happening Crewed Currently under developement Normal means not on main concern

D.I.S. Surface Studies (Duna and Ike system)

Dres expedition (As well as Dres surface studies return study)

Ike Expedition (Currently on chopping board to study if necessary)

Jool system surface study (lander with four rovers)

Laythe Expedition

Vall Expedition

Bop and Pol Expedition (Under decision of separate missions or not)

Tylo Expedition (Currently on decision to put back)

Eeloo Expedition (Currently on decision to put back)

Moho Expedition (Crewed but not on development)

Eve and Gilly Expedition (crewed but not on development)

Eve water study

So today I make a list of missions!

12 minutes ago, Loskene said:

Yeah, why make one video when twenty-six will do? :confused:

I forgive you but my scroll wheel would like a few words.

Actually here is the full list of videos and images here

https://maarlandersinnovation.wordpress.com/2019/06/13/for-the-first-time-ever-we-land-on-duna-do-a-spacewalk-and-return/

A full video is in development

Edited by Guest

It's hard to find anything but Meteorites on Dres... But I will keep my promise in finding every surface feature that no-one else has found

Situation:

Nearby Dres Meteorites: 177

Nearby Dres Craters: 2

:mad: Really

***No wonder anyone visits dres***

42 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

***No wonder anyone visits dres***

Dres is my favorite planet.

I did it!  I have no idea how to texture it or make it do anything, and the colliders are all messed up, but dammit, it's in the game and pointing the right direction!

This is a very exciting time for me.  Before you know it, Superfluous Parts will be available for download.

54screenshot20.png

8 hours ago, patzw said:

Oh my, it's been a wild ride for this newbie today. I managed to get myself into orbit AND landed (safely, might I add) back on the home planet. Then I decided to go back into orbit again. And again. And finally I let Jebediah out for an EVA in high space. Great fun, marvelous learning experience for Jebbie… until he tried his jetpack. That did NOT go well. He still has no idea how, but as soon as he began playing with the thing he lost sight of his ship and he was not even able to spot it, let alone fly back to it. 

Thankfully I've learned from these forums and reddit and F5 and F9 saved him. Then -of course, as if he hadn't been through enough already- I managed to come in too steep and too fast for a safe reentry. Somehow I finally managed to get him back to Kerbin Waters. Enough adventure for the day!

Oh man I wish I could play KSP for the first time again. The sheer rush of first making it to the Mun and the back again, only to land softly on a mountainside, then roll down it and die in a ball of fire...