What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

(1.6.1) Not much to report for my day yesterday (no screenies either, I'm afraid). Began at South Base, where engineer Beamon Kerman got out and hooked up the Wisent 7 utility rover I'd driven out there from KSC late in the day on Sunday to the base. "Colonists" Bargee, Jebtrey and Necal Kerman boarded the outpost, after which Beamon disconnected the rover and the rover was recovered.

With a junk-and-kerbal contract over Ike available, I went ahead and ordered engineer Jergar Kerman aboard LSV House Atreides in Kerbin orbit to begin printing up a Bill Clinton 7c grabber probe to do the job. While he did that, I went ahead and had Atreides warp over to Ike; since Kerbin and Duna are still close to alignment with one another, the warp over was a pretty easy affair - even accounting for warp backs at both Duna and Ike, it only took Atreides about an hour to settle into a 106x57 kilometer, 9.86° inclined orbit over the red planet's moon. Construction of the Clinton will take about seven hours all told.

Golf 1, the lander formerly known as the TBD 7dG that delivered the starter equipment for the Ocean Ranger outpost on Gilly, departed the outpost for a 10 kilometer low equatorial orbit before descending to a target survey area on the other side of Gilly, about forty kilometers away (which would be nothing on almost any other moon in the Kerbol system, of course). While en route, the lander's onboard Micro ISRU converted some excess ore into monoproellant - the craft actually arrived at the target zone with more fuel than it had when it left OR. At the target zone, Golf 1 took temperature readings at four different "nearby" points (not much more than three kilometers apart from one another, but it still took twenty minutes for it to get from point to point since nothing ever happens fast on Gilly) for contract. The lander is still in the survey zone as of this post, and no replacement contract was offered.

Finally, this morning Ocean Ranger completed its print of a G-LOC 7a RTK craft, which was launched for a successful rendezvous and docking with LSV House Corrino in a 10 kilometer orbit after fueling at the outpost. I lucked out there - while I hadn't intended it, Corrino was flying overhead at the time of launch, so I was able to get a rendezvous straight from the launch point. With the G-LOC secured, Ocean Ranger's second launch pad began construction of an orbital shipyard; construction is expected to take 97 hours to complete. I'd have Corrino break orbit and return to Kerbin, but one of the space station contracts I have for the Eve-Gilly system at the present time says there needs to be two engineers aboard, and the only engineers I have in the area besides Bartzor at OR is Gemlorf and Bill aboard Corrino. Even with warp ships, Gilly's kind of a pain to reach, so I think I'll leave the ship in orbit, borrow the two guys and then have them ship out once the dust is settled. That does, unfortunately, put me in the position where I'm in a holding pattern - I've got a bunch of time to kill while stuff gets built, and at this point pretty much all of my extant contracts depend on the stuff being built.

I did get to work on building a prototype SSTEO craft yesterday. Since it already has most of the (admittedly mission-bloated) features I want, I began by taking my extant Auk II 8-passenger spaceplane design, saving a working copy of with the working name of Auk IIaE, and began ripping it apart - took off the wings, replaced the dual RAPIERs with a quad of Vectors, removed the nose-cones, etc. I'll probably start with a pair of Buffalo Typhoon proprotors to see if they'll give me the performance I want in the craft. I need to put a new set of wings on the craft and restore the control surfaces, figure out where I'm going to put the power supplies for the proprotors and get a hell of a lot more rocket fuel on the craft. No idea if it'll be a success or not...didn't really get terribly far in the design process. My main concern is going to be getting the CoM and DCoM to align with one another...very important when you're building a tiltrotor like this craft is going to be. Probably will have a prototype running in the next day or two. I have a pressure survey contract on the far side of Eve relative to the Alexander L. Kielland outpost where I'll build the prototype, and I'd like to use it for a maiden flight. You know, get it some plane time on the purple planet so I can get a feel for the craft's flight characteristics before I try to take it up into orbit. Baby steps...

After lots of experiments designing cranes to use in assembling my Mun base (and meeting with unsuccess :(), I decided to remove he crane altogether and make a Mun trailer park base instead ^_^!

wrsgvwesafc.png

dbwsrdx.png

Edited by Guest

I'm gonna wait on sending out photos since the mission isn't over but Expedition Dres has landed on Dres and has found all the surface features on it. We will be landing back at kerbin tomorrow morning at around 12:00 EDT so expect a post by then

My newest career is continuing to advance.  I started construction of Minmus station today.  The core, science wing & a fuel/power wing arrived, along with the first crew.  One new feature is a robotic spotlight under the viewing cupola to highlight parts of the station and/or docking during night operations.  Further construction is being delayed by the fast approaching Eve transfer window, although I do have a load of tourists bound for the station along with some useful equipment (KAS parts mostly) that was missed on the rush to get the station launched.

Launching the first station crew on a redesigned Girroc MPV-1-ER  (Girroc = 2.5m expendable launcher, MPV-1-ER = Multipurpose Vehicle, model 1, extended range)

gqOjeeA.png?1

Docked with the station, and Kelrik the engineer is out to remove unneeded RCS units & weld the docking ports for the science wing

6v5irPJ.png?1

After arrival of the first fuel/power segment:

f6W5WZ4.png?1

Val got the honor of bringing the load of tourists on the new Girroc STV-5 (Station Transfer Vehicle, 5-seat)

sN0KSJX.png?1

Climbing out of the upper atmosphere, after first stage separation.  I kept the tower attached because I discovered it has a built-in science experiment, but I had to wait till I could extend the antenna to send the data

hT25Nxk.png?1

In a few more days, Val will be docking at the station.  Roughly the same time, the next Eve-bound probe should be ready to launch - a Probes Plus version of the Venera 9 probe

I built a robotic beetle as the first rover of this career run and shot it off to the Mun. Stowed, it fits snugly inside a 2.5 m fairing and when unfolded handles beautifully due to its wide stance. Packaging comes with a complimentary descent stage and bag of mini-pretzels.

kB9WKsL.jpg

t861v3z.jpg

km8lojv.jpg

yjfN3qG.jpg

Not pictured is the rover slamming into the ground because I was too distracted taking pictures to manage its descent speed. Fortunately, the rover is bouncy and sustained no damage.

iTMo0J5.jpg

GFNKdkU.jpg

o1ZZF5J.jpg

This scanning arm thing is pretty neat.

Edited by BadOaks

Just done testing my first nuclear missile. Unfortunately both blew up upon reentry.

Pictured is actually the second launch of the missile; I didn't make it to take a picture of the first launch. Since the first launch is done by hand (i.e No MechJeb) the missile spun outta control that I ended up with an inclined orbit.

Anyways, a picture is worth a thousand words.

SnrsXev.png

78yGNik.png

Retrograde burn to avoid missing the nearest adjacent peninsula East of KSC.

bnncLZ5.png

8V5nYUX.png

Jettisoned the bomb.

vOi6KEB.png

Didn't made it to the other side.

Anyways, I used North Kerbin Division for the warhead, and it's the TSAR-Bomb-A.

Edited by FahmiRBLXian
Typo

7 hours ago, BadOaks said:

I built a robotic beetle as the first rover of this career run and shot it off to the Mun. Stowed, it fits snugly inside a 2.5 m fairing and when unfolded handles beautifully due to its wide stance. Packaging comes with a complimentary descent stage and bag of mini-pretzels.

kB9WKsL.jpg

t861v3z.jpg

km8lojv.jpg

yjfN3qG.jpg

Not pictured is the rover slamming into the ground because I was too distracted taking pictures to manage its descent speed. Fortunately, the rover is bouncy and sustained no damage.

iTMo0J5.jpg

GFNKdkU.jpg

o1ZZF5J.jpg

This scanning arm thing is pretty neat.

@_@!!! Nice!

ive been using the sky crane method lately but pooping out the tanks works too! XD

(1.6.1) Whelp, yesterday is best classed as "uninteresting stuff happened."

My day began over at LSV House Corrino in orbit of Gilly. Thinking ahead to the need to move engineer Gemlorf Kerman and Bill to both of the space stations currently under construction at the Ocean Ranger outpost on the surface, I went ahead and ordered up a new Minnow 7b touring craft for their use. Construction took six hours. Meanwhile, LSV House Atreides in orbit of Ike completed its print of a Bill Clinton 7c grabber probe. After fueling the probe, it was released and sent on a mission to retreive Nedmore's Scrap and bring it back to Atreides.

LV5nki9.png
Nedmore's Scrap was in a retrograde orbit - had to flip orbital directions coming and going. Luckily the Clinton 7c design was really overworked for this particular junk-and-kerbal job.

Scientist Nedmore Kerman and his scrap were retrieved successfully. After the probe docked with Atreides, the warp ship returned to Kerbin, requiring only one warp-back maneuver to settled into a 602x535, 0.4° inclined orbit. At that point the Clinton departed and entered Kerbin's atmosphere, eventually landing safely about five kilometers northeast of KSC. The replacement contract involved the launch of a satellite into a synchronous orbit over Duna, so I ordered one up at the Bi-La Kaifa Shipyards in orbit; engineer Ardon Kerman had the sat ready to go after about three hours worth of construction. After sending up fuel supplies to the shipyard from the Enchova Central outpost on the surface via mass driver, the satellite was launched and I proceeded to maneuver it into final position for contract. The replacement contract - construct a new surface outpost...on Bop. Took it of course.

Minnow finished up about then - the craft was dubbed Eunice Howell on launch.

Sc1v0EV.png
Do me a favor, Lovey - don't ask where Thurston is. You won't like the answer...

Once I'd docked Eunice Howell up to House Corrino, I didn't have anything productive to do, so I warped ahead three days anticipating that Ocean Ranger would be ready to launch space station Eveport. Went to the outpost and discovered that construction was going to take another six days apparently. Don't know why...

This morning I went ahead and worked on the design of the Auk IIaE VTOL spaceplane, and firmly confirmed that my original design was utter crap. Damn thing wouldn't take off on Kerbin - not enough thrust from a pair of Buffalo Hurricane proprotors. Going to need at least four, which means more SAFERs, more mass, less delta-V...typical cycle for this sort of thing. The design as it was was only going going to get me 1,450 m/s of delta-V to boot, nowhere close to the 3,500 m/s target. Going to do some trimming down, try to get rid of some of the mission bloat features, and see if I can do something a little more basic instead. Rather not go with a disposable capsule idea but if it's the best option, it's the best option.

21 minutes ago, Loerelau said:

Playing for years now. Today I landed for the first time on Val and Tylo, both with mini rovers! Am so happy!

Congrats!

Omi Gauuuuuuuuuuuush it's finally done

Expedition Dres/ fourth mission of expedition Eeloo

"it's... boring :('

Yes my friends after days of redesign asking for tips and getting frustrated everyday I have finally done it! It's finally time to talk about this mission

Notice: I didn't record any photos of getting into kerbin orbit or leaving since no one really needs to see that but you got my trust to say I have done it!

arrival.png?w=1073&h=

Arrival at Dres

order-of-main-module.png?w=1052&h=

order-of-main-module.png?w=1052&h=

Setup of the spacecraft with touchpad writing

crater-on-the-forgotten-planet.png?w=1072&h=

Landing in the crater

dres-suicide-burn.png?w=1050&h=

The suicide burn

speech-of-expedition-dres.png?w=1214&h=

The flag after landing

I then had to move the rover after the lander was glitching because of it

rover-out.png?w=1112&h=

First surface feature

finish-exploring-tomorrow.png?w=1022&h=

I would then finish exploring tomorrow (image is a poster if you want to use it and credit me)

Then to explore a crater

It was then time for me to head back but I decide to take a break before leaving

good-napping-on-dres.png?w=1030&h=

#Kerbals get tired

the-last-minute-on-dres.png?w=1037&h=

I was then ready to head home

I then transferred the last of our 1000 meters of dV in our lander to the orbiter that which saved me later on! Totally planned :)

It was then time to head home

I did the actual encounter in space to save fuel!

The hardest part was to get the right aerobrake but second time I got it

It led to a successful landing and that's it Expedition Dres over

I can't thank more than the people in here for helping me this mission was sure hard

It helps to have people help with this so I would like to thank all who helped me with this. This was done between surgery so it was hard to complete this mission.

The next missions are sure going to be walks in the park but after which we get into harder missions again

Officially happening next

Expedition Ike

Expedition Bop and Pol

Expedition Eeloo

Expedition Tylo

Expedition Laythe

Expedition Moho

Expedition Gilly (includes eve but due to @Matt Lowne's cinematic movie I had to name it Expedition Gilly)

Edited by Guest

Done testing my space shuttle launch vehicle. *Yawns*

I can say it's pretty overpowered given that orbit circularization can be done with the whole rocket intact. Total launches so far, four. Each with their own failures, but notably second and fourth launches. Only fourth ended with the Original Four survived, safe and sound even the orbiter isn't.

And why Space Shuttle Launch Vehicle? Because I'm just changing the SRB-External Tank setup to an all-liquid fuel, kinda Energia style, while retaining the original design of the American Space Shuttle. The only modifications involve adding two pairs of Solar Panels to power the orbiter (And potentially lander) for longer-duration missions.

Craft Name : Frontinco Interwing-5

[Will be available on KerbalX]

6sP7XSL.png

tLsd3EN.png

Shortly after launch, during gravity turn.

Basically I made a launch vehicle for the orbiter portion of the space shuttle. And the launch vehicle easily beats the little boi.

GUoW5mi.png

i60DODt.png

10auobb.png

b2kXjcs.png

After jettisoning booster stage.

ERPupjn.png

PBqsCxJ.png

Circularization burn.

jVZu6zd.png

Deploying a relay satellite.

Not to mention some modifications done to the orbiter; solar panels.

Failure Number One, As Noted; Crew Death

UAIWUPY.png

Retrograde burn for Kerbin reentry.

Crews are dead due to life support stuff deprived. I'm using TAC-LS for life support.

POpVpCR.png

After jettisoning core stage.

Failure Number Two

pzsv55v.png

Third launch, after booster collision with core stage. Orbiter isn't physically affected.

The first launch also have this occurred, but that didn't destroy the core stage.

jyjPJ0M.png

After deploying three relays. Some debris from the previous shot can be seen.

Failure Number Three, Crews Safe, Orbiter? No.

eh7bEF4.png

During reentry before the failure happened.

What I'm basically trying to do is to slow down the Matt Lowne's style; tumble the spaceplane around. Which then, for me, ending up in an unrecoverable... uhh... stall? I'm diving backwards, like a stall.

uSAksFF.png

Struggling to level out.

ABUDg9y.png

fT9X1AV.png

Right during impact. I'm going retrograde at the moment.

nTH4XP3.png

s5s1Hif.png

Aftermath.

Reverted between launches to get back the crew.

At least this became my first successful space shuttle launch. My previous design didn't even made it to orbit.

Edited by FahmiRBLXian

6 hours ago, Dale Christopher said:

@_@!!! Nice!

ive been using the sky crane method lately but pooping out the tanks works too! XD

Thanks! "Pooping out the tanks" made me laugh. I usually use a sky crane too but the folding design + scanning arm didn't leave enough room for it.

You've all visited the Island Airfield, and you might've explored the island too.

But have you landed on the other islands in the 4- island archipelago?

Today I did.

In a small, ISRU-equipped boat, I took Jeb and Kirrim out to the islands on an island hopping trip.

I also decided on names for them today.

Starting out from the Island Airfield and continuing along the chain-

1. Hawaii

2. Maui

3. Molokai

4. Oahu

Named after islands in the Hawaiian Island chain.

And now I claim this land for the Kerbal Empire. [plants a flag]