What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today In Galileo's Planet Pack After I Discovered An Anomaly On Iota Using Scansat, I took a lander out to the location of the anomaly. What I found on the surface was one of those green monoliths. Here are some images of it:

VtyPnby.png

CmlxYOD.png

mofV3Ot.png

The last image is a nice shot of Gael in the background with my kerbals standing next to a flag I planted on the green monolith.

Edited by Johnster_Space_Program

On Friday, June 28, 2019 at 9:54 AM, Brikoleur said:

Is it possible to play RSS without MechJeb? I mean, can you even make orbit?

Yes; but it's difficult.

I have flown an Atlas/Mercury mission similar to Glenn's first orbit using a FASA craft. It took about a dozen tries.

You have to have a really good feel for orbiting without aid for it to work. While my stock KSP is MJ free, my RO install is getting MJ added.

Edited by Ratwerke_Actual
More words.

I launch my first modular station. First space station for that matter. I'm outta town sadly and uploading images and videos are near to impossible but I will try images but video clips probably on Monday when I return.

While this is my first succssful station it isn't the first attempt

During January I launched single launch stations that had a return capsule with them. Back in march I planned a modular station with the big docking ports but kraken made me not continue.

Service and Orbital module

My other crew space agency built a cargo module for Star one. Star one had an orbital module

starone-orbital-spacecraft.png?w=701&h=

I flew the orbital spacecraft already and it works fine

Here is a photo of the first two modules up

mansky-1.png?w=982&h=

manskey-1-and-2-together.png?w=726&h=

Here is a photo of all four modules docked

adjusted-for-crew-docking.png?w=1017&h=

crew-and-cargo-ships.png?w=847&h=

The next photo is a theory if all modules are put together and if kraken works with me.

What's the point of this mission

I'm using this to find out ways to build bases in the future. I'm also finding out how to deal with the kraken with space stations, I am also trying to find were autostrut is

Edited by Guest

(1.6.1) For as little as I did yesterday, I sure did take a hell of a lot of screenies. Guess I must've felt what was going on was important...

Began the day yesterday with a quick test to see if I could pack up the full Cigar 7 Eve descent vehicle into a Pathfinder Mule resource storage module. After putting the sixth AIRBRAKE in in the VAB, I came to the determination that the answer there was a flat "no", but the Beer Can 7 Eve ascent vehicle payload would fit, so I ever felt like doing some role-playing, I could build yet another quadcopter design, have my engineer (that'd be Gilford Kerman, thank you very much) go out to a landing site, stow up the Beer Can, haul it back to the Alexander L. Kielland outpost on the surface and have the base "reuse" it by recycling it and then begin construction of a new Beer Can launcher. Or I could just terminate the damn thing when the passengers were offloaded and be done with it. The latter sounds easier to do...

Once I was done with those shenanigans, it was time to perform the previously scheduled test of the Cigar 7 design. That began with the craft docked to the Beer Can Test Article making its way into the docks at space station Eveport.

N5HZRe2.png
Personally, I think the Cigar looks a lot cooler with its airbrakes deployed. No reason for them to be out right this second otherwise...

Once the craft was docked up, I moved over tourists Neilfrid, Haiald, Lefel, and Newrigh Kerman to Eveport from Next Objective docked at the station, and then cut both Strange Cargo and Next Objective loose in order to fulfill a new space station contract. As suspected, the ferry ships were preventing the successful conclusion of the contract, and cutting them loose fulfilled it. I brought both ships back into the dock as quickly as I could. Replacement contract is to test a large landing gear in Eve orbit, which should be a simple matter once I have the planned orbital shipyard in position and manned. Eventually.

At that point it was time for the Cigar test. Fuel resources were transferred to the probe from Eveport, the craft was cut loose and performed a de-orbit burn. I'd call the test a qualified success - I lost most of the re-entry hardware due to atmospheric stress late in the process.

A9zlvlX.png
You can land this safely without chutes, right? Right?

Root cause was user error - I was fiddling with the airbrakes. The lesson learned from the test was to leave the damn things open the whole time, stupid

I had quicksaved right before the craft left Eveport, though...I figured that I might have a perfectly good payload, and if the test failed I might want to take another crack at it and do some things differently. With the test successful, I decided to load up my surface bound tourists - Neilfrid, Haiald, Lefel, Newrigh and Lizemone Kerman - aboard the Test Article and do an operational run, a task made harder due to Trajectories deciding to take a lunch break about the time I began the deorbit burn. 

iCRvcmy.png
Don't worry, y'all - your craft only has a 0% success rate so far.

7tMCGdS.png
Pretty much out of gas, going Mach 6.5...starting to heat up...

vOVSUqw.png
...and this is eleven seconds later. Note the max G-Force indicator on the KER readout, and then tell me if you'd like to have a go in the Beer Can......

wF5ZvFg.png
Chutes! What a brilliant idea!!

8jCecou.png
Down and safe! Airbrakes are still proving useful...they're keeping the craft from rolling downhill.

Landing was, thankfully, a success, with the craft coming down twelve kilometers west of ALK. The Echo 4 passenger recovery craft is still under construction at the moment, so the tourists do have a bit of a wait in the Can ahead of them. Somebody can call Domino's though I'm sure...closest store is....well, it can't be that far off, right?

With my tourists down, I decided to make one final check to see if I could use ALK's mass driver to shoot up payloads to orbit. 

o6sUhgI.png
Hmm...I should really figure out how Pathfinder is calculating delta-V requirements for the mass driver; it sure looks to me like I've got the resources I'd need...

I was able to send up a batch of monopropellant to the station for minimal cost in resources - took twelve individual shots to do so, and it nearly filled up the tanks. Minimum settings for LFO however were still too massive for the mass driver to work, so I'm left with either fiddling around with the configuration files again or making alternative arrangements. It occurred to me that I could put one of my warp ships on permanent assignment ferrying resources from Gilly to Eve. Doesn't seem like the best use of a warp ship to me, honestly, but if it's the choice I wind up having, so be it. I know the mass drivers work just fine over at Gilly...

One more screenie for y'all. Why not.

mOgFL5e.png
Eveport at Kerbolrise.

Now that I've got tourists on the ground on Eve, LSV House Corrino in orbit is clear to head back to Kerbin. I might do a supply shot from her mass driver over to Eveport so that the ferry ships will be able to leave when the time comes. I've got to finish printing up the recovery copter for the tourists, go pick them up, get them safely aboard ALK and then begin printing up their ascent vehicle. Corrino's hauling cargo that should allow me to move on to the next target in the Kerbol system anyway once it's delivered. Also have a long atmospheric flight to perform at Eve but I've got the long window of time I need to do it now, so that might happen later this afternoon or something. Right now, it's laundry time...

Today I finally got a properly working, oriented, and textured (it's not great, but there are textures!) part made and into KSP!  I have a good amount of tweaking on the model, textures, and cfg yet, but I now have an all-in-one under capsule abort system.

fcfscreenshot41.png

9c8screenshot42.png

7fscreenshot43.png

It runs on Monopropellant, so it's not complete dead weight in orbit.

Lots of activity around Duna. Main event was a crew rotation and sending up a better tanker. 

Senior Engineer Kerman leaving her post on Ike, scheduled to rotate back to Kerbin. Also she's bringing along a piece of Duna ejecta on contract.

M3INy4b.png

The replacement tanker in orbit around Kerbin. I spent hours tuning this. Got thrust torque to < 0.1 kN under all flight regimes. She's not as efficient as the previous version but carries a bigger payload and is a lot more pleasant to fly.

l4oBOqK.png

In the meantime, somebody had gotten too curious about the Duna stone scheduled to be returned to Kerbin on contract and handed it for processing in the MPL. So we had to make a second surface trip. We collected two biomes on the way, and discovered a new surface feature. Ikarus is incredibly useful, we logged several hundred km of flight on it. Once you get a feel for how she handles, she's really enjoyable to fly. She flies delicately like a butterfly. 

xis5euM.png

The replacement tanker, with Engineer Kerman -- Senior Engineer Kerman's replacement -- in it, on final approach to IFOB-1. 

oeQHbWX.png

Engineer Kerman, delighted to be posted all by himself on an airless rock orbiting Duna. Good thing he's an introvert.

cNU2mkc.png

The rest of the crew made it to their destinations too. The rotation was actually logistically pretty complex, because only Jeb left from Kerbin -- Dr. Kerman and Engineer Kerman joined him in an orbital RV, Dr. Kerman on the way from the Mun and Engineer Kerman from Minmus. The Duna contingent -- now four-star kerbals piloted by Col Valentina Kerman -- returned to Kerbin safely also. 

Next stop: Jool.

Edited by Guest

Spent basically two days setting up this Dres-Jool-Eeloo assist.

sHz4Dp0.png

This is one of the more complex gravity assists I've done. I found the basic flyby with the help of Flyby Finder and did my Dres departure burn, but I must have miscalculated, because while I could get to Eeloo it was with a nasty inclination difference, spiking my insertion delta-V. The problem boils down to having too much speed when I enter Jool's SOI, which means that in order for my path afterwards to be in plan view I end up picking up a load of inclination. If I cut down the inclination the apoapsis height and time would be all wrong.

The solution is to lose some speed within Jool's SOI, which can be done by getting a secondary assist off one of Jool's moons. Actually setting this up however is easier said than done. It's not hard to encounter Tylo when and where I want, just set up a course correction well in advance and play off pro/retrograde against radial and maybe normal burns. The hard part is knowing when and where I need the Tylo assist, and frankly, I stumbled across this path by dumb luck.

After much tinkering, I got the path I wanted. The post-flyby apoapsis was pretty much unaltered from the Jool-only flyby, but the inclination relative to Eeloo was cut from about 11 to 4 degrees, taking a few hundred m/s off the insertion burn.

Now to fly this thing. It calls for 0.1 m/s levels of precision, so it's not gonna be easy.

Finalized the design of a "reach anywhere in Kerbin's SOI" lander and tested it with a land-and-return flight to the Mun's north pole. Got back with about 200 m/s left, reentry successful.

While I'm waiting for a transfer window to Duna for my first ever manned interplanetary flight (I already have a rover on Ike), I've been thinking about looking into station construction for the first time. What do you guys think, should the core module be absolute-barebones with only an OKTO core, structural parts and docking ports, with a separate power/comms module, or should I combine the two into a single module? I don't plan on keeping it, mind you, as I already have better parts unlocked.

Also, I'm considering modifying the design of my Duna spacecraft a bit. Current design is a propulsion/lander manned section and an external fuel tank launched in a separate flight and docked in orbit. Mission profile is launching the two separately, docking them together in orbit, using the external tank to reach Duna, undock, land with parachutes to preserve fuel for the return trip, take off, rendezvous in orbit and use the tank's remaining fuel to return to Kerbin. However, I'm thinking of outfitting the fuel tank with a HECS plus relay antenna plus solar panels and batteries for the first flight and leaving it behind as a permanent satellite / possible future station core so that later missions only need to bring fuel and short-range ground-to-orbit antennas. Taking off from Duna should use up enough fuel to fully drain the external tank and leave nothing behind. Should I go for it?

10 hours ago, FahmiRBLXian said:

Wait, which mod do you use to paint that? KerbPaint? I believe KerbPaint is no longer updated (At least by the original developer).

i would like to know as well.

Edited by lapis

I also discovered that as of KSP 1.7.2, the KAL controller can throttle solids in flight via the thrust limiter. Response is pretty sluggish but a quick 5-second ping-pong loop definitely had the thrust going up and down.

Earlier this morning, I've successfully flight-tested both my Buran and Antonov An-225 Mriya replica. It's not so stock anyhow, which is pretty bad. And the only Monoprop reservoir is in the cockpit, hence a short operation of the RCS.

Glide test of the Buran was done using Vessel Mover's "Drop Vessel" Option and pitched straight down before releasing. A total of approximately five has been performed.

First Launch :

Dzw1T59.png

Sorry for the Aero Overlay. I was testing some drag on the wings, rendering whether they're useful or not.

Below is the footage of the second launch.

The Poodles are sufficient to keep the Buran aloft, if nose is pointing at more than 15 degrees.

fQcFl6M.png

YMhSWnE.png

6zCd0Od.png

yb2tKbw.png

Beginning of reentry.

NkfQy1A.png

Inbound for splashdown.

That's for the second launch. It ended up in the ocean due to the low-lift of the Buran and the fact that I flew too far away from Island Airfield, which is not taken a screenshot.

Afterwards are the third to the last launch (As of now). I'll be trying to release the Buran from the back of my Antonov An-225 Mriya replica.

Kinda hard to butter the landing as this is a low-lift air (Space) craft which bleeds airspeed as one tries to pull up.

View Full Album Here

Spoiler

Pardon me if the link to the full album didn't work. I forgot how it works :)

Edited by FahmiRBLXian

Antonov An-225 Mriya Replica Test Flight

I've built this plane back in 1.5.1, but flew it in another version since back in 1.5.1, I was busy with other designs and ingame stuff thatI forgot to tweak it, which is actually a lot of tweaking.

It originally had a colossal rudder at the back, but was shrunk after reviewing a scheme I used as a guideline to build. Changes from the original includes the shrinking of the Elevators and rudders as well as bending of the fuselage.

Before the rudders (And elevators) are shrunk, the plane is really prone to tailstrikes and the elevators pitch are is quite aggressive.

Pictures are in the spoiler.

Spoiler

QZFNkXU.png

7MxD16k.png

0hbtulL.png

smYKfQv.png

k4616uz.png

0hbtulL.png

Anyone did remember the moments spotting an Antonov An-225 takeoff IRL?

View Full Album

EDIT : Stability issues still present. Fixing...

Edited by FahmiRBLXian

@Fraktal I say go for it, the whole point is making stuff and seeing if/how it works.

I usually send up modules when I need them, with some thought for future use. My Duna station in this career is fairly simple, basically just a MPL and lander can with ports, panels, batteries, and an antenna. My return module pushed it there. I have fuel production on Ike though so I didn’t need to budget for the return trip. For Duna I usually don’t bother with drop tanks or a separate ejection stage, getting there only costs about the same as getting to the Mun, if you have a good launch window. Getting back is only about 700 m/s too if you re-enter straight from the transfer.

Did a polar landing on Duna today. It was a very smooth and flawless flight for the pilot.:wink:

http://k05ICNv.png

Soon I'll be returning my kerbal home!

15 hours ago, Stewcumber said:

I had a bit of sucess with landing on my floating airstrip. Lots of fails  too :D

xvxlgC4.gif

Fails:

https://i.imgur.com/8gVrwHo.gif

https://i.imgur.com/Ms9Dhah.gif

https://i.imgur.com/sCYYFia.gif

https://i.imgur.com/wFVWKx6.gif

AWESOME!

Got 4k science in a single mission on Minmus. It's the first time landing there in my very modded "Hard Career" play-through, and because the trip there is relatively slow, I didn't want to waste time going there again. I definitely didn't get as much science as I could, but 4k is just about enough to satisfy my ego!

7 hours ago, Jeb-head-mug kerman said:

Finally got Teddred Kerman home from his Duna mision!http://

Good Job I know how hard a first trip can be!

I try a new concept of crew

image-22.png?w=768

I'm going to land both crew but the orbiter will stay in orbit!